Joe Wright's Dunkirk 5 minute scene from "Atonement" was a far better representation of the beaches of Dunkirk than any...

Joe Wright's Dunkirk 5 minute scene from "Atonement" was a far better representation of the beaches of Dunkirk than any scene Christopher Nolan had in his film "Dunkirk".

youtube.com/watch?v=QijbOCvunfU

yeah
I expected to see far more grit on the beaches.
But it was only sandy shores and a few guys standing in lines
While the rest of the movie was rather great. the beach scenes kept bothering me

hmmm

Because that's mostly what it was, dudes sitting on the beach waiting, and waiting. It started off with dudes getting bombed on the beach anyway, what'd you expect?

There were supposed to be 300 000 men on the beaches waiting to be evacuated, hundreds of boats were also on their way to assist in the evacuation. What we see in the movie is about a few thousand men on the beach and about a dozen boats. I can respect that Christopher Nolan didn't want to use CGI, but that could of greatly assisted him in making the enormity dunkirk visable.

You're factually wrong.
All the grouping and rows on the beach in Nolan's Dunkirk is represented exactly the same as it was in real life (pic related), while in Atonement it was a historically innacurate "poetic" try of a gimmicky long take with scattered endless characters running infront of the camera filmed in the golden hour, which never happened.

Christopher Nolan's new movie gets high marks from one of the world's foremost experts on the evacuation of Dunkirk.

GQ: So let's get into it: what did you think of the movie?

Michael Korda: I was very, very impressed by the film, I have to say. I suppose it would be possible, if I really put my mind to it, to nitpick about certain things. But they really would be such small things. I did not find that there were many things that were wrong. At no point did I say, "Well, that just looks totally wrong and doesn't correspond to anything that happened."

How does Dunkirk shape up against other war movies?

[Christopher Nolan] clearly did not want to do a slightly artificial docudrama like Saving Private Ryan. So he doesn't set up a fictional story, there's no central character or narrative to it, and I think that was a very courageous and the correct decision to make. The characters of the film are composite characters. The Kenneth Branagh character is an amalgamation of several naval people who were on the beach and speaks for the general situation at the time. Otherwise, the audience is not going to know that as the crow flies, or as the seagull flies, it's only about 23 miles, 25 miles I think, from Dunkirk to Dover. Or that there are 400,000 men on the beach. So he supplies those facts. But there's very little of that in the film and I think that that's good and impressive. You get the experience of Dunkirk without the artificiality of scenes in which you see Winston Churchill talking to General Ismay. There are none of the usual cliches of war films in here.

This.

yeah because 400k men are just gonna stand still for an entire week waiting for a boat. With no military equipment in sight, and no signs that so many ppl have been there for a days

You either stand in a rows waiting to be the boarded on the next boat or you are not on the beach right by the sea at all. There are many pictures of said event (two of them posted right in this thread) and they all show the same thing, you are just talking out of your ass with zero information to back it up.

They did though because they're British and they know how to stay calm and queue like a gentlemen. American retard animals would have been clambering over themselves, tearing one another to pieces, descending into religious mania and committing suicide en masse.

whats this, a fucking carnival?
no military operation lends itself that much cinematic quality, what you got there is a disorganized mess.

americans wouldnt be running away from a war they declared anyway

Hmmmmmm...

>BEADY

American status: B.T.F.O.

those british soldiers were real cunt to the french one in the movie.

Well brits and frenchies don't really like each other (as you can see by the cold "bon voyage" that the young brit gets at the beginning) and they were trying to survive, survival of the fittest and all that.
But yeah, based froggo literally spends the entire film just saving multiple brits from drowning only to get drowned himself while saving the same brits who wanted to kill him a minute ago.
He's the representation of all the french troops giving their lives defending that line so the brits could escape safely to their home.

Kind of the least they could have done considering the brits didn't have to be there in the first place at all.

Not waiting for A boat, they had to wait for boats by regiment - keeping in mind that any French soldier who wasn't in the French rearguard was evacuated first before the Luftwaffe started attacking the beach in earnest.

>runaway while your french buddies hold the enemy off for you
>backstabbed them a week later by bombing their ships in north africa and killng thousands of their men
any movies about how the brits are such utter cunts?

That's just how they are

It really was, blows Dunkirk out of the water with all the detail, every scene has so much going on it feels so alive and true to the event and portrays the soldiers accurately. The fat black Brit is the most out of place part of the scene though.

retreating =/= running away

America had clearly already won at that point, but chose not to totally annihilate the pitiful remains of the north Vietnamese army.

Problem is, even though I can understand why you would prefer the Atonement scene, it's less historically accurate than Nolans version.

SO DENSE

If you want to know why they're such utter cunts to the French, watch the Hornblower series.

Dunkirk was more real and I would know cause I was there

Yes I can see that now with what was posted in this thread. I also keep forgetting that the cluttered beach scene, strewn with abandoned landing craft, boats and vehicles was from the Canadian Dieppe Raid and not Dunkirk, so pictures from Dieppe I misremeber as being from Dunkirk after they had all evacuated.

But also you're right it is a more poetic/romantic take on it, kind of like the artist who paints "War" compared to the artist who paints a more realistic and duller scene of a real battle on some forgotten field. And thats why it may be more appealing in its presentation even if not highly historically accurate.