What the fuck is this? Who greenlit this? What the fuck was Dan Harmon thinking? Why? Why...

What the fuck is this? Who greenlit this? What the fuck was Dan Harmon thinking? Why? Why, does everything he make go to complete shit after the 2nd season?

youtu.be/IUHECxS6IEU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MhpkLe8kdcE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

s2 was fucking trash
it started going downhill with the season 1 finale
youtube.com/watch?v=MhpkLe8kdcE

is this show supposed to be funny

What's wrong with it? It was entertaining to see Rick's personality explained like that. He's an emotional parasite on his family, and they would be better off without him.

HOLY SHIT SHES SO SMART! SHE LIKE TOTALLY GAVE US AN ACCURATE ANALYSIS OF THIS SHALLOW 1 DIMENSIONAL CHARACTER! WHO WROTE THIS SCENE? THEY MUST LIKE A FREAKIN GENIUS LMAO

Because it's complete bullshit to put rick as OP and intelligent as they put it, and make this self inserted arm chair psychology bullshit get to him. It would have been funnier and more consistent to have rick bring down this shitty jerk off character, but that would have required actuak writting skills and creativity.

its an insert character for one Gao

in the panel after the episode one of the writers (i forget who) basically says that she wrote the character as an asian woman just so there wouldn't be another white male

im not joking

>he's STILL shilling his video

It didn't get to him at all. That's the problem with Rick: he knows he's a piece of shit, and he refuses to do anything about it. It's also funnier to have him taken down a peg every so often, an always-wins OP character is boring as hell.

>hey lets go to a bar
>ok are you thinking this bar or that one?

you are just a mad virgin who hates every gender with a vagina

>be an omnipresent force of the universe with the ability to stand above all realms and the government
>get btfo by a dumb fucking mee mee science women

Do you ever read what you fucking write
Do you have even a single ounce of self-awareness

>this triggered by a woman appearing in a cartoon show

stop idolizing rick

MEN BTFO

Yes, the tragic joke about Rick is that he's extremely powerful (like Morty said, he's more like a demon) but at the same time incapable of being happy or having any meaningful relationship with people around him. He's caught in a hell of his own making and refuses to fix it because that would require admitting he can't do it by himself.

It got to him, he just ignored it. It's ridiculous to think someone with all that capacity can be so ignorant about basic shit like psychology that he probably uses.
Lol nice response faggot.

i think the worst part is how this is considered as defeating rick
all she told him as that he enjoys doing stupid shit for no reason and hates family stuff

RICK BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
ALL MEN ON SUICIDE WATCH

I must have watched the episode wrong because I didn't see Rick lose

I saw Rick and Beth in the car at the end basically go "fuck that dumb bitch lol #margaritas"

Hmm, I wonder if there's something different about this season

I feel my almonds activating

>nice response faggot
not like you refuted it

I meant it didn't get to him didn't convince him. He definitely knows and agrees all the therapist said to him, he just won't do what's necessary to fix it. He chooses to die rather than do the work.

At the rate he's destroying the family, it will only get worse as the season progresses.

>It's also funnier to have him taken down a peg every so often

I agree with you on that. I like seeing characters get put in their place

>Ned Flanders losing his shit and shitting on the whole town
>Cartman getting owned by fucking ceasar milan
>Olenna Tyrrell putting the sand sneks in their place

But this felt...weird. it feels off, like not natural almost artifical, it's hard to explain. All the examples I mentioned above felt in character and was actually funny. This wasnt. I don't want to say it was patronizing but it felt extremely out of place for rick and morty. It was awkward.

Does anyone else feel this way?

if you havent fucking gleaned all that yourself you should seriously kill yourself. for all the pretentious "enlightened" bullshit redditors claim to have they need a completely obvious examination of a shallow 1 dimensional character to be spoonfed to them in a YAAAS QUEEN moment so the female writers and dan harmon can masturbate to their BADASS female psych and the reddit community can upvote "DUDE THE PSYCH WRECKED RICK OMG" threads. fuck this show and fuck the redditors sucking its dick while claiming its smart

this is the main problem i had with it

it was a lot of words to actually say very little, most of which we already know in the first place as seen in the unity episode, and that was shown through the plot of the entire episode, not dumped out in a single line of dialogue

What the hell was with the whole tongue brain thing? It makes no sense it's practically scientifically impossible to do something like that. It was more so gross out humor than their usual neat science humor. Garbage episode/10

When men don't discriminate against women they take their ideas as if they themselves were children

they were saying that because they didnt want to admit she was right

Yea and that's the bullshit. For someone with the knowledge and experience of Rick, I don't think basic psychology applies, because he just knows much more. He's obviously human, but not someone typical or you can understand. T.bh, I'm not even that mad about the idea, bur for the blalant jerk off the writter took on this scene for such a shit delivery. I'm just pissed off that they are not even hiring competent writers.

Part of the funniness to me was how out of tune it was to the usual antics, especially in contrast to the "Pickle Rick built himself a rat-exosuit and took down an entire armed compound" over the top action part.

Honestly, I could do with a more Bojack Horseman-esque change of melody for the show. It's deadpan.

Something redditors don't get is that there is no actual scientific accuracy in the show, and theh have states it multiple times. They just use the idea to justify different scenarios. Please, did you think the multiple "times" episode has any basis on mosern physics?

>its an insert character for one Gao

I very much dislike how we instantly know that it's a women writer just by obvious tropes

There have been plenty of writers on tv shows who are women who are actual good

One of my favorite south park episodes is written by Pam Brady and it doesn't have this dumb fucking female writer characteristic

I don't even want to blame Cho
She's obviously an incompetent writer
I want to fucking blame Dan for being a dumb fucking retard who thinks with his dick

The psychologist was so unfunnily yet harmlessly didactic it felt like it was a joke; I kept waiting for punchline never happened. Anyone who thinks that it was earnestly trying to be a YAAASSS moment is a retard who can only look at media through the lens of meme-fueled paranoia.

>He's obviously human,

Uhh no, he's quite clearly a pickle.

WHITE MAN CAN'T JUMP.

The problem is that this isn't Rick. Rick isn't the type of person that would sit there and let a person he knows is beneath him get to him. Rick also isn't the type of person that would transform himself into a pickle just to get out of going to a family event. That's all beneath Rick. So why all of the sudden is Rick caring about these matters? The Rick that we've seen from Season 1 and 2 would be in space finding Tammy because she crossed him, not dealing with family matters.

>irreverent and inconsiderate douchebag can't defend his habits when under scrutiny
imagine my shock

disappointed that they didn't try the anti pickle serum on a normal pickle

holy shit we get it you don't like rick and morty shut up about it already no one cares

>it's a pickle rick thread
>complains about shilling
DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHERE WE ARE

Women aren't funny

That diarhea of words killed the mood of the episode. She just state the obvious and we don't care. I was waiting for the moment Rick shoot her but no...

I 100% agree with you, that speech from somebody like Morty or Jerry who'd somehow managed to get the upper hand on Rick would mean something; from some random woman who's spent a single therapy session hearing about him second hand to tell the audience what they already know and have any effect on Rick feels fake as fuck.

>believing in free will
just lol

Why does Sup Forums keep posting about this shit show?

Rick's had the "let's just sit back and see what happens, I don't feel like doing anything right now"-attitude before. Also, for all his faults, he's at least honest with himself. The therapist was right on the mark about him, and he can't think of any rebuttal. He just chose to ignore it and carry on the "everything is rosy" mutual act with Beth.

I think it adds a lot more depth to his character by showing the human aspects of him. Sure, hunting down Tammy would be fun, but delving into the "Rick is literally cancer to his family" depressing part is nice too.

because its literally spoonfeeding: the monologue

garbage writing. i thought Sup Forums was meming cuz it was a female writer but jesus christ this is shit

i feel like in an older episode, rick would've just turned the therapist into a snake the moment she started wasting his time. rick simply does not care about individual people unless it's a family member

Rick would take revenge om Tammy, not turn himself into a pickle. He would probably also kill Phoenix person, maybe find squanchy. But not this bullshit, family council, he would just not have gone. He doesn't feel like he has to explain himsel, Beth is scared that he'll leave and he knows that so she wouldnt force him either way.

why are people mad that the therapist was right? I mean, Rick's psyche is not totally uncommon. Lots of intelligent people are depressed for the same exact reason. I think the episode was turning it around on us, not anything else. Who fucking cares who wrote it? The show can take some liberties and be smart once in a while.

It's a literal Mary Sue. The writer literally self inserted herself in the episode and made herself the voice of reason. I mean, that's the tip of the iceberg when it comes to narcissism.

Because we already know it and this character is a nobody so there's no satisfaction in her saying it. Plus Rick being affected by it is out of character.

Rick is not a intelligent person, he is a super genius. A short session with a shrink will not define him

>What the fuck was Dan Harmon thinking?

That throwing this asian bitch a bone would get him laid and make up for his wife leaving him.

It's going the way of Bojack Horseman--they can no longer let powerful scenes set the tone. They have to spoon feed yo the explanation.

We can tell that Rick has problems emotionally with his family just by him finding a ridiculously way to get out of therapy, yet they felt the need to sit there and blatantly tell us that.

TV shows change. If the show stayed the same you'd get bored to tears with Rick & Morty's zany shenanigans.

This show was always trash. Hiring female writers isn't going to change that. Maybe the therapist's monologue was a self-insert female writer trying to belittle Rick or maybe the writers just thought it'd be fun to have Rick's character explained in a way that breaks the fourth wall. Who gives a shit. It wasn't funny or really interesting, but neither is this show.

The episode was about "pickle Rick" for fucks sake and Sup Forums chooses to focus on why this shitty therapist scene was so bad, LMAO. How about you find a better show to watch than this trash instead of getting angry at it?

I thought this show was supposed to be funny?

It was, until they let female writers come in.

>In case you didn't get how rickle think by watching the last two seasons

This added nothing to the show and
>self insert

this

>was entertaining to see Rick's personality explained like that
are you actually saying you watch tv/film for exposition?

One of the problems of liberalism is the need to over-explain jokes and frame them as to limit the audience's take from the joke. Which makes it less of a joke and more of preaching to the audience.

The new season of rick and morty isn't bad because it has women writers

It's bad because it has "womyn" writers

What pisses me off Dan Harmon peaked with Community. Then Alison Brie exploded and he feel for her. He couldn't get her so he married someone but he couldn't forget how Alison smelled. Now he just has Rick and Morty to live off of, and le Reddit.

Can American schools just make you go to therapy if your child is acting up?

There needs to be a law to ban millennials from journalism

What has liberalism got to do with the over-explanation of jokes?

Just imagine how offensive this shit is
Imagine working hard, trying to be the best but the real reason you get hired is because of your skin color or genitals and talent

Obivoulsy, these new writers are shit but you get what I'm saying

you actually watch this show

Rick usually gets advice that develops his character from people that both matter to him and know him for a long time, like Morty or Unity.

Having some random self-insert therapist who never met him up until the last minute of the episode tell him something so profound about his life is just terrible, shitty writing.

Look at liberal vs conservative humor. You'll notice them always explaining the joke.

Who the fuck watches an adult animated show for the drama? I watch this show for the animation, jokes and Ricks burping. I don't give a shit about the character development of any of them. Now it's going to get even worse with women on the writing team.

Damn, they should give Roiland his show back. Feels like Adventure Time and Simpsons at its worst.

>Who the fuck watches an adult animated show for the drama?
You've forgotten the most kino show on tv

t. Roastie McBeefcurtains

I was half expecting him to just shoot her and then say, "Shoneys!". Next scene has Morty wide-eyed with Summer and Beth shivering and crying from symptoms of traumatic stress, all in a booth with Rick non-chalantly eating his eggs.

Forced jokes:

Pickle Riiiiiiick
9/11 inside job again
Explaining why cats think pickles are snakes
Morty and Summer suffering uncharacteristic diseases (peeing in class and huffing ceramic glue or something - stupid bullshit)
Principal eating poop for some reason
Awkward hamfisted dialogue

Stupid things about the episode:

-Rick agreeing to therapy then doing something really stupid to get out of it
-Rat/cockroach brain stupid/non-scientific stuff
-Vague Russian/British spy/criminal base/embassy with no real purpose other than to serve as "bad guys"
-Long ass monologue from therapist who (unlike every other character in the show up until this point) retains her pride and has virtually nothing funny, interesting or negative about her at all (totally not a self-insert).

Good things about the episode:
-Seeing a few rats die was pretty well animated
-Bit about guy not having infinite daughters at the end was funny
-It was only 22 minutes of pain

Jesus christ you people are such pussies. Yes no shit we all knew that about Rick, the entire point was that it was being pointed out to the kids in a clear way that they could understand. Sure the monologue was kinda lame but you people are just trying to so fucking hard to just jerk off your hate boners against "le SJW boogeyman".

>t. the wryter

Did you guys laugh at any point?

>Explaining why cats think pickles are snakes

That was fucking dire, it was just an internet reference, I think he literally said "I've seen the videos"

i don't think he agreed to it.
the situation was their school had the authority to compel them to go to counseling, which i don't think they do

So uhm.... Rick went to super space prison for some crimes at the end of season 2. Everyone was hoping to hear what crimes Rick actually committed, but instead of that we get: M-morty *burp* w-we need to go family therapy Morty. W-we need to talk about our feelings M-morty.
this shark jump will go down in history

that's part of R&M's thing.
they make extremely obtuse and uninteresting references, because their target audience will understand them

What about Beths abandonment issues with Rick being a reason why (after Rick finally comes back into her life) shes a total bitch to Jerry and alienates him because she wants her daddy. Why didnt doctored Wong point out that Jerry has been a decent husband while Beth has been a shit wife who will divorce Jerry because Rick wants it? She's even shown that she thinks she's making a mistake with the divorce but will continue to be played by her deadbeat father and do whatever he wants. Also..what mother lets their crazy, deadbeat, abandoning father to take her kids to other universes where they could very easily die horrible deaths and witness terrible violent acts from different worlds and such

I almost never laugh when watching tv. I still enjoyed it.

How could a woman speak to him like that?!?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Because Rick has consistently shown his character through his actions and the plot, that's what storytelling is

I don't need someone to literally explain a character to me on-screen, it's the antithesis of the whole point of fiction

A character getting put in their place should be the result of another character outwitting them, undermining them, or otherwise playing to their own strengths to get the better of them.

Seeing Olenna Tyrell put the Sand Snakes in their place is great because it's a veteran monarch smacking down a couple of whiny children who think they're hot shit.

Seeing Cartman get treated like a misbehaving dog was hilarious because after years of episodes where Cartman constantly outschemes or outpowers people he encounters (even the other nannies in the episode) we see someone come in and completely defuse him.

Seeing Ned Flanders lose his shit is a great moment because of all the shit that comes beforehand in the episode - his tragedies, his wavering faith, his growing frustration with the town's incompetence - and him finally being pushed over the edge and exploding is the catharsis of that buildup.

This wasn't like any of those. It didn't develop out of the natural structure of the story, nor was it Rick coming up against an opponent who could genuinely outmatch him... this was a writer's self-insert stopping everything that was going on, and lecturing Rick (and, by proxy, the audience).

>conservative humor

Femanon detected
>I do not understand humor and do not laugh at jokes
>But I sure do love what they've done with this comedy program

There's a significant element of filmmaking, conveyance. You make a movie with too little conveyance, and the movie becomes a cluttered mess. There's no explanation as to WHY things are happening, they just are. Too much conveyance is just as bad. The movie becomes less about the emotional experience and more of just preaching to people. The movie becomes a lecture rather than a movie.

We can look at Arrival for an example, where the film starts off well written. Yet, we get to the later half, and the movie has to clearly explain what is happening to the audience, which puts of the part of the audience that figured things out. If you've already figured out that the language shapes perception of time, you can figure out that the "flashbacks" weren't really flashbacks and that time flowed non-linearly.

The same applies to this show. When you have the therapist monologue to the children, you take away from the potential character development Summer and Morty could have. Part of Rick's character is his stubborness to realize how much of a parasite he is on other people. Get it? A super-scientist doesn't get people. That's the joke. He's so smart, but his vast intelligence creates a gulf to where he can't normally communicate to people. It's ironic. You shouldn't have to lay the joke out there, it's in every episode.

People like figuring out puzzles and that monologue was a guide to how to 100% solve the puzzle. Absolutely piss poor writing.

the writer literally stops the entire show to read her blog post about her interpretation of Ricks character

this user got it

Not female, just have a shitty, strange sense of humor.

>monologue to children
>in an episode filled with gore and mayhem

Did the writer just create an ironic work that is pure kino?

>This wasn't like any of those. It didn't develop out of the natural structure of the story, nor was it Rick coming up against an opponent who could genuinely outmatch him... this was a writer's self-insert stopping everything that was going on, and lecturing Rick (and, by proxy, the audience).
Exactly!

kys