Why do americans uptalk?

Is there a worse accent?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ahznvtDunEw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English
youtube.com/watch?v=yx3wwYOt3pQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WC36u2xha5Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There are dozens of American accents, which one are you talking about?

valley girl accent. it seems to be spreading.
pretty much every americans on tv has that accent.

why do swedes updog?

American English sounds more harmonic, more fluid to me. I find British English more contrived if you will.

the upper intonation at the end of every sentence whether question or not is far more indicative of australians. Fucking disgusts me.

>valley girl accent. it seems to be spreading.
Yeah idk, California is a weird place. Agree that it's spreading though, and it's infuriating to listen to. That and the stupid vocal fry thing.

>pretty much every americans on tv has that accent.
No they don't.

British English is how it is supposed to sound. American English is what you get when a bunch of french people butcher the phonetics of english

>British English

This means nothing, in essence. There are so many accents, be more specific

could you give some insight on the different german accents?

>Swedish education
Blanda upp!

Why do Americans talk like fucking children?

*tips*
Well said my fellow gentlesir.

this area has the most clear cut accent to me

Stop watching preteen drama series

>British English is how it is supposed to sound. American English is what you get when a bunch of french people butcher the phonetics of english
You have it literally the other way around. The English used to talk like people in the West Country for the most part, then it was the French corrupted Normans who are responsible for the modern British accent. Americans split off before the language shift so it preserved the closest true English accent outside of Cornwall

Listen to this
youtube.com/watch?v=ahznvtDunEw
Notice how they don't drop their 'R's

Newfriend here, what's "updog"?

>what's "updog"?

bruh

hahaha, he said it!

nothing much bro, how bout you?

Americans did not split off before the Norman Conquest you absolute fucking retard. The Norman Conquest predates even the discovery of America by centuries.

ayyy

Oh no!

Some examples of how average British people sound. Not really any better or worse than American accents desu. I hate RP (Queen's) English with a passion, as well as the valley girl thing you see in the States. Why do the worst possible accents become the most well known?

spot on apart from the scouse
what a lad

well he's partially right, I read that current british pronunciation is more modern, american english originated from conservative accents of britain...

Based chink falling for elementary school jokes

i have lived in 4 different places in that box and i can tell you each of them has a different accent

No fucking way

Have you tried not watching teen drama garbage

You people are stupid as fuck if you didn't think this response was intentional. Then again, what do you expect from a bunch of MUTTS. As a pure NORDIC GOD I have exceptional invegistative abilities they don't call me the sleuth of the north for nothing. AM*ricans could stand to learn a thing or two to avoid future embarassment.

why do Americans form questions like 'ayo G, I finna ax you some shit'?

Valley Girl has been dead in America for at least a decade

Fucking reading comprehension
Let me spell it out for you, you fucking mouthbreather
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhoticity_in_English

>Evidence from written documents suggests that loss of postvocalic /r/ began sporadically during the mid-15th century. However, these /r/-less spellings were uncommon and were restricted to private documents, especially ones written by women. In the mid-18th century, postvocalic /r/ was still pronounced in most environments, but by the 1740s to 1770s it was often deleted entirely, especially after low vowels. By the 1790s, fully non-rhotic pronunciation had become common in London and surrounding areas, and was being increasingly used even in more formal and educated speech. By the early 19th century, the southern British standard was fully transformed into a non-rhotic variety, though some variation persisted as late as the 1870s. This loss of postvocalic /r/ in British English influenced southern and eastern American port cities with close connections to Britain, causing their upper-class pronunciation to become non-rhotic while the rest of the United States remained rhotic. Non-rhotic pronunciation continued to influence American prestige speech until the 1860s, when the American Civil War began to shift America's centers of wealth and political power to rhotic areas with fewer cultural connections to the old colonial and British elites. The advent of radio and television in the 20th century established a national standard of American pronunciation that preserves historical /r/, with rhotic speech in particular becoming prestigious in the United States rapidly after the Second World War.

>English used to talk like people in the West Country for the most part
wow, a yank that doesnt trout out the usual line of "GENERAL AMERICAN IS LIKE ANGLO SAXON ENGLISH" like a boring mong

post an example, thats wherre im from

youtube.com/watch?v=yx3wwYOt3pQ

you're talking about that NPR women's voice in the back of the throat? that comes out of academia and is spreading like syphilis

>American English is what you get when a bunch of french people butcher the phonetics of english
What? Ethnic french people are like 1% of our population

The Scotch accent is prolly the most original/Scandi way to talk it... let's face it, original English was likely as fucked up as Dutch (Anglo-Saxon/Old English) and Danish. Bot sound incomprehensible, just like Scotch.

The best way is the gay pederastic Monty Python upper class way to do it, informed by Latin and spanking etc.

Agreed. British people all sound like they have a 55” dildo up their assholes.

he has no idea what he's talking about and may be pretending to be stupid

British english still sounds very different to American english, whatever the accent may be.

It's almost like most american TV shows are made in California...

>American English is what you get when a bunch of french people butcher the phonetics of english
Where'd the French people come from?

based

is this uptalk?

youtube.com/watch?v=WC36u2xha5Y

>Sargent I dropped my grenade somewhere over there
Boy I sure hope these guys signed up for something other than infantry

Stop watching shows for children

no seriously what's an updog? never heard that word before.

>WHY DOES ENTIRE X COUNTRY TALK LIKE PEOPLE ON MUH TELEVISION

you're a fucking retard

give an example please, i have no idea what you're talking about

No they're just nervous/dumb.

ebin

>Implying I sound like a fucking scouser.

not to mention australians pronounce "no" as "nohr"

Canadians and Americans sound the same, at least compared to Brits.

Don't the vast majority of Americans and Canadians speak like they do in most American media though? Even places that used to have unique accents and dialects are dying out like Texas and the South, there have been youtubers I have watch and then found the person was Texan or Southern but just sounds the same as they do in Friends or the Simpsons.

It's worse than ''nohr''. They say it like ''nah-ee''. I don't see how they can produce a ''a'' sound and ''e'' sound from an ''o''. It's like they intentionally pronounce every vowel except for the right one.