>Out This Week:
Year By Year: A Visual History - Updated & Expanded Edition
Poe Dameron #6

>Star Wars Rebels Season 3 Trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=xmXp802sFgQ

>Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

>Star Wars Canon Guide:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

>Download links: (Check here for new Rebels Episodes + Books, Comics, Films, etc)
pastebin.com/nWsKtSya

>Legends Recommendation List:
docs.google.com/document/d/147N5EgCnZmcPaDYvnGQwl9cn7BhBroFb7mD2C4cmWb0/edit

>The Clone Wars Legacy Content:
starwars.com/tv-shows/the-clone-wars-legacy

First for best fetish waifu

So will the Dooku novel contain his deepest, darkest thoughts while he got raped by Mother Talzin?

>yfw filoni kills more waifu with this guy

>To take it to an extreme analogy, if I bought the Mona Lisa, should I be allowed to paint a mustache on it?
I think the better analogy would be "what if Da Vinci came back to life, looked at the Mona Lisa again, and said 'no no, this won't do at all.' Then proceeded to add a mustache."

For better or worse, we place a particular recognition on a creator's ownership of the media they create. Obviously, given how the Star Wars thing worked out, this is not absolutely true, but it shows our recognition of a right to ownership of a media is basically predicated upon the creator continuing to please us.

>Jobber
>killing waifus

user please.

>mauls not a jobber
>only lost at every thing
>mad he killed your favorite waifu

[spoiled]he secretly liked it like the dirty little slut he is[/spoiler]

Fucked up the spoiler tags but now the secret is revealed

And once a secret is known, it cannot be unknown

>Just finished Life debt
>that last paragraph on the final page

I burst out laughing.

If 7th Sister and 5th Brother banged, would it be consider Inqcest? And would there be an inquest into the inqcest?

No George is a good director, just a shit writer.

Why was Filoni so obsessed with having Dooku being captured and/or turned into a damsel in distress?

What if Sheev's scheme supreme just remained a dream?
Say he dies of a heart attack immediately after the Battle of Coruscant and never even turns Anakin fully or ends the Clone Wars, what shape would the Galaxy be in?

Did it really happen that often?

I have no clue what you're talking about. The only other time I can recall Dooku being in a weakened position was when he was captured with Anakin and Obi-Wan by Hondo, and his dealings with the Nighsisters which he ended up winning. Dooku takes care of himself and his problems.

The Republic probably goes back to normal. The Separatists were already in really bad shape by that point and they've lost Dooku so they have no strong leadership. Grievous would be able to carry on for a bit but he doesn't have the political strength to keep the CIS together. Grievous probably makes a last-ditch attempt at some big victory and it fails, the CIS surrenders and the Republic starts re-integrating former Separatist worlds.

Years later the former CIS worlds are considered the ass end of the galaxy and have a reputation for being nothing but yokels and sisterfuckers who keep proclaiming that "THE CIS SHALL RISE AGAIN!"

Delete this.

5B is too old for SS

Hell, even with Talzin he was able to tell Grievous exactly how to find her and put a stop to that. She may have gotten to torture him for a while but he had the last laugh since his forces completely slaughtered the Nightsisters and drove Talzin into hiding.

Hondo did have him by the balls for a bit, but even then he came back and wrecked Hondo's whole operation as revenge.

He's 13. His race just grows up quick.

That's why he acts like such a buffoon. He's just a boy in need of guidance.

Legends

>Galaxy is invaded by BDSM christfags
>all the trios children die
>All the interesting Jedi die

NuCanon

>Luke is a failure hermit
>Solo is a smuggler again for no fucking reason
>Republic gets blown up, making he OT meaningless

Why is all Post-ROTJ stuff so shit?

There was also Son of Dathomir.

Fifth Brother was such a letdown. He appeared so menacing and powerful during his first scene, then turned into one big goofy jobber.

He wasn't even interesting. He was just there

>THE CIS SHALL RISE AGAIN!"

We all know SS loves to give young boys 'guidance'

Are you guys excited for FemRevan in Rebels?

post it

Thank you.. whh... I don't know your name, sir.
A small smile. "We can be on a first-name basis, you and I. Galli, my name is Sheev. We will be friends. An Emperor must have friends, after all.

It's treason then...

I like SS's lips.

She's actually quite a pretty character.

How do you even pronounce "Sheev?"

Hint, it has two syllables.

Like Shiva without the a

"She-Eve?"
I always thought it was pronounced like sieve, but starting with as "sh." Just one long syllable.

It is, I don't think that user knows how syllables work.

It's Chi-Ev you fucking illiterate NERFHERDERS!

I mean I'll admit it was a bad joke but was it really that hard to identify?

>"Lo, our Savior of the Galaxy, the Progenitor of Peace, Waylayer of the Clone Wars, Sheev Palpatine."
It's not that hard user.

Sorry, it's gotten pretty hard to tell when someone's a genuine idiot or when they're just messing with us.

Yes. Was this a reference to something I'm missing, or just a pretending to be retarded joke?

I understand text isn't a great way to get the feeling across, so I'll qualify that I'm genuinely curious here. "Hint, it has two syllables," doesn't seem like enough to be a joke.

Poe's Law.

Generally speaking, on Sup Forums, it's better for your health if you just assuming everyone is being a troll for "teh lulz" rather then expressing their genuine opinion.

Was literally just a sarcastic joke because I can't see any other way to pronounce Sheev than the right way.

You don't, his name is Ernest. Sheev is a retarded name.

>I can't see any other way to pronounce Sheev than the right way
A fair point.

Like shiv

What word has an ee become an ih?

Naboo is a very strange planet for pronunciations. It's suspected to be ancient gungan influence on their culture.

Pronounced like Shiva without the a.

It's

(Sh)__(v)
(Qu)ee(n)

The same way you'd say "Steve"

Sheev is probably the Steve of the SW galaxy

revealing his first name was just stupid

So what's the 'John Smith' of Star Wars?

I love James but i will never forgive him for unintentionally creating one of the worst memes to ever hit Sup Forums

JJ. Literally JJ.

Look at how Filoni expanded the Prequel Era.

Look at how the LSG and all the book/comic/spin-off writers are expanding the OT Era.

Then you get to the mess of TFA, and realize that everything in that entire Era is going to have to be built around it, and you realize that JJ has single-handedly ruined 1/3rd of the canon Star Wars Era's with a single movie.

I mean, what JJ did to Luke is character-suicide. If it's true about Hamill being bitter towards TFA, and not really liking it much, then I can completely understand. Hamill was one of those people that was very respectful of George's work, even calling the Prequels works of art. Whereas with TFA, Hamill explained that he feels TFA is more of a standard modern blockbuster, and in HIS words, NOT mine, he compared TFA to Transformers.

That's about all that needs to be said on that matter. Any hype for the Sequel Trilogy is dead for me. I believe that Rian Johnson (and Filoni if he ever gets to do a show in that Era) may be able to salvage it, but other than that, JJ killed any hope I have in Sequel Era content.

Nobody wanted to see Luke become a fucking PTSD hobo.

So here's something I've been wondering about.
What does the story group actually do? Because with how people bitch and moan about TFA and Aftermath it makes is seem like that they have no power to do anything at all and are held hostage by these creators, but at the same time everything they say is holy writ?

So what is it that they actually DO? Do people that make new Star Wars material have to submit stuff to them for them to approve? In which case, how is TFA's story not also there fault? Do they just look at things after the fact but have no power to simply say 'no'? How does that keep everything in line with canon? Aren't these four people supposed to be the ones pretty much in charge of all the story elements? Are they the Truman of Star Wars and the buck stops with them or not?

They make sure everything in canon lines up and doesn't contradict itself.

And they do that how? Presumably they get the scripts or manuscripts before production starts up, so that they can look over them, and make sure everything checks out, which would imply that they approved all the official things people hate, wouldn't it?

The real problem isn't that 1/3 of the canon is fucked. As bland as TFA was, a good sequel could easily elevate it.

The real problem is that TFA creates anew the problem the PT had: everything before a ANH, and now TFA, is destined for amounting to absolutely nothing. Perhaps ever worse, since the PT was built around the idea of the tragedy. TFA retroactively sweeps aside any progress potentially made by the conclusion of the OT so it can retell ANH. That is it's biggest sin. The 30 years in between ROTJ and TFA, perhaps even less since the true fuckening happens some time before, is now a no man's land of nothing great happening to our characters or the universe. The only hope for something good there is side characters completely unconnected to the TFA to be able to make some sort of progression in their own stories or to be able to properly portray the tragedies in the main plot as anything other than retarded meta-driven nonsense.

We see this continuously with Star Wars. The old and new EU around the PT had side characters able to tell their own stories around the spectre, but never entirely beholden, to the shit storm that was needed to set up ANH. Even in the KotOR era, when they began doing prequel comics, they set up side characters to have their own stories. And even then, both have to have some characters that deal with the inevitable terrible shit that happens in their time periods that we already know fucks over pretty much everyone. It's not an insurmountable problem, but in regards to our OT heroes, they're completely, totally, shit out of luck.

I don't think they approve things based on how good/bad they may or may not be, their only job is just to make sure everything works out with established canon plus whatever else is coming down the line

>>JJ. Literally JJ.

>>Ignores all the books in the Post-RotJ EU that aren't Heir to the Empire or X-Wing.
>>YuzzhenVong
>>President Daala
>>Legacy
>>Luke doesn't train Jedi for 8 years, is bi-polar with at least 3 mass-genocide students under his belt, goes from humble master to wild-ass space wizard who has little ethics, wife murdered by nephew, son corrupts his own son, has to have Cade.

Oh, yeah, JJ sure did the worst damage to Star Wars.

>Do people that make new Star Wars material have to submit stuff to them for them to approve?
Yes, sort of. But the LSG also work WITH the creators to help develop the content.

>In which case, how is TFA's story not also there fault?
To a very minor extent, maybe. You also have to remember that they don't exist to stamp out creativity. Their primary goal is to make sure everything fits together without breaking continuity, which they have done just fine. They aren't however quality control, nor do they know if something is going to be rejected by the masses in the future. Aftermath was marketed really hard. It released alongside Lost Stars, but Aftermath was pushed way more in advertising. They probably thought it was going to be really popular. I think the fact that the fanbase so heavily rejected Aftermath, but loved Lost Stars, was probably a surprise to them.

>Do they just look at things after the fact but have no power to simply say 'no'?
Sort of, but remember, they help shape things in development. If, for example, JJ suggested Luke show up at the end of the movie as a cripple, they could have veto'd that.

>How does that keep everything in line with canon?
Because they're helping develop everything at once, they have foresight of the franchise for years into it's future, so they know the details of every upcoming book, comic, and movie, and they can make sure it all pieces together perfectly.

>Aren't these four people supposed to be the ones pretty much in charge of all the story elements?
Theres actually more than 4 now, I think. Pablo (and to an extend Leeland) are the most public, and seem to be "in charge", but there is a small group of 8-ish people now who all work together to keep things in check. But yes, the LSG is in charge of the overall Star Wars story. They're not big mean men in suits or anything though, they've expressed great care in letting creators get what they want, as long as it isn't completely retarded or breaks continuity.

The old post ROTJ EU may not have been perfect. It may, in fact, have been mostly shit. But TFA awakens only highlights how hilariously off the mark old complaints about them still fighting the Empire after ROTJ was somehow weakening the ending of that movie. At least in the old EU, things eventually progressed. Hell, two of those things you listed were the last gasping retardations of that period, after a lot of other stuff. And it's a bit hypocritical to compare how Luke was tardy in training students to what they did with it in TFA.

Yeah, all that shit sucks. No arguments. But the problem is TFA salts the earth of the period between ROTJ and TFA. The universe as a whole cannot progress. And whatever does is erased over the course of the movie. Anything that progresses can only be side stuff that never intersects with the main plot of TFA. The old EU, at least, didn't do that post ROTJ. Things were by and large pretty god awful, but it didn't fundamentally preclude the best parts of it, or the overall growth of the setting.

We could get a new X-Wing series that leads into the squads we see in TFA, who are largely left without any sort of explicit characterization. They can't actually do anything truly major once the ceasefire goes up, but the great X-Wing stories didn't have to be about that either. Any Heir to the Empire type story is, of course, completely out.

>The 30 years in between ROTJ and TFA... is now a no man's land of nothing great happening to our characters or the universe

How so? There's at least one book of important stuff happening to our characters, If the movies don't touch on Ben's training in an specific way, or how he got turned then there's a big story right there. I'm sure there were plenty of adventures to be had by our characters in that time. Actor ages aside that's one of the reasons to have a large span of time between these things, so you have room to tell other stories.

I was talking specifically about the Canon explanation. I am aware that the EU was shit too.

JJ DID do worse damage to Star Wars though, because his impact is Canon and permanent.

>everything before a ANH, and now TFA, is destined for amounting to absolutely nothing
That's the main point and problem I have. I mean, the entire Galaxy essentially got reset to where we were just after Empire.

>Vader-I mean Kylo, is looking for Luke-I mean Rey.
>Luke-I mean Rey, is battling internally with dark side temptations.
>So he-I mean she, goes to find the old, wise, last remaining Jedi.
>Kylo's taking orders from Sheev-I mean Snoke.
>The Empire-I mean First Order, are now at the peak of the power, and the Jedi-Wait, yeah, Jedi, are extinct again.
>Han Solo is killed and turned to stone, but there may be hope he could come back-Wait, no, he's dead again for realsies this time.

Literally, TFA ends with the Galaxy in the same position as the end of ESB. I have a personal suspicion that, as much as an OT purist JJ is, he doesn't even like RotJ. Only ANH/ESB. Because he effectively retconned every single achievement and story progression that RotJ had, and shafted Luke's entire existence for Rey.

I suppose I should've made it clear I was talking about our OT heroes. I think I mentioned that at the end.

Out of our TFA heroes, Ben's really the only one who can have a story worth reading. Rey was on not-Tatooine since she was a kid, doing nothing of importance. Finn was just a Stormtrooper his entire life. Poe doesn't really count as a hero, but could have X-Wing adventurers.

The main problem is the characters of Leia, Han, and Luke cannot be allowed to progress without running afoul of TFA's story. Luke must lose literally everything he could've accomplished post ROTJ. Han must lose every bit of development he had so he can go back to being the smuggler he was in ANH to drown his sorrows once Ben goes all Columbine on Luke's Academy. Leia might be able to do some Republic stuff, but that is also destined for ashes and she leaves it before TFA anyway. There is a plot to be had in setting up the Resistance, which has absolutely nothing going on with it right now as of the TFA. So that could be fertile ground. But she can't interact with Han and can't interact with Luke, so those plots are a no go.

There are a few things that could be touched on. Now that Thrawn is back, he might due some stuff depending on how his Rebels era story goes. Leia and Luke have a bunch of family shit to sort out. But by and large, they must end up where TFA's has them, which is largely in stasis since ROTJ, if not regressed to some extent. Mostly in Han's case.

>Vader-I mean Kylo, is looking for Luke-I mean Rey.
Actually he's looking for Luke. Rey is more like The Droids We're Looking For, in this scenario, since Ren is only after information that she has.
>Luke-I mean Rey, is battling internally with dark side temptations.
When did she do that?
>So he-I mean she, goes to find the old, wise, last remaining Jedi.
Certainly not to train
>Kylo's taking orders from Sheev-I mean Snoke.
>The Empire-I mean First Order, are now at the peak of the power, and the Jedi-Wait, yeah, Jedi, are extinct again.
But the First Order got their biggest trump card completely destroyed, with a fair amount of their manpower seemingly gone.
>Han Solo is killed and turned to stone, but there may be hope he could come back-Wait, no, he's dead again for realsies this time.
How is that anything like Empire?

Did people want everything to go back to how it was in Phantom Menace or something?

TFA's biggest failing is that we don't get to see the Galaxy before they fuck everything up, so we have no context for a lot of what's happening in the movie.

>Did people want everything to go back to how it was in Phantom Menace or something?
No, it's a sequel, we wanted it to move FORWARD

>TFA's biggest failing is that we don't get to see the Galaxy before they fuck everything up
EXACTLY. We didn't see how the Galaxy has moved FORWARD, before things went wrong again. It stagnated, and feels like we're picking up from ESB.

>Finn was just a Stormtrooper his entire life.
Actually, I'll retract my assessment here. This is perhaps one of the few places pre-TFA stories might actually elevate the movie somewhat.

There's space, indeed a bit of an incessant vacuum demanding something to address it, to beef up Finn's character before he becomes a TRAITOR. We could see him as part of some of the lesser atrocity type missions of the First Order. See him making his one friend. A good touch would be showing just how far gone other Stormtroopers raised like him are. Make him have a bit more distance between himself and the others, aside from his friend. A story, or stories, like that might do some real good addressing that particular character plothole from the movie.

I recall there was a short story each for Poe, Finn, and Rey detailing their stories just before TFA. Given people don't seem to mention those, I doubt they amounted to much. But they could for Finn and Poe, at least.

As I said:
>I'm sure there were plenty of adventures to be had by our characters in that time. Actor ages aside that's one of the reasons to have a large span of time between these things, so you have room to tell other stories.

>Luke must lose literally everything he could've accomplished post ROTJ.
Does this some how make a story about how the Jedi Order was originally set up "running afoul" of the PT's story, since all of their work was for nothing?
>Han must lose every bit of development he had so he can go back to being the smuggler he was in ANH to drown his sorrows once Ben goes all Columbine on Luke's Academy.
How is this not a way of showing how Han deals with things that he can't control or shoot at? Han's always tried to cut and run when things get serious, he did it in ANH, he was going to try it in Empire. This time there were just no heroics to get in the way.
>Leia might be able to do some Republic stuff, but that is also destined for ashes and she leaves it before TFA anyway.
Isn't Bloodline, Leia doing "Republic stuff", one of the more well received books? I do recall seeing people promote it here. TFA doesn't diminish the story being told.
>There is a plot to be had in setting up the Resistance, which has absolutely nothing going on with it right now as of the TFA.
There certainly is, there's a plot to be had in setting up the First Order as well, along with their secession from the Republic, somethings older characters can certainly have a hand in.
>But she can't interact with Han and can't interact with Luke, so those plots are a no go.
How so? Current estimates that I've seen are that Ben's school shooting was ten years prior to TFA (I've not read Bloodline, so I don't know if it is referenced in that in any way, so It could be six years?) That's at least twenty years of stories to be told. Just because you know the ending doesn't mean you can't tell a good story. If that was true we wouldn't have the Prequels.

cAnon, are you here.
What the fuck dude, are you seeing this?

I wonder if it's even possible for Episode VIII to be good. Not because of any shortcomings with the director, but just because TFA seemed to write it into a corner so badly that creativity has to be extremely stifled. Rian Johnson has his work cut out for him to work the story out of the rut it's left in, so much so that I don't even know if it's possible. All we can do is wait and hope for the best, but I don't think the rebooting of a franchise has ever left me less excited for the sequel than TFA did.

>EXACTLY. We didn't see how the Galaxy has moved FORWARD, before things went wrong again. It stagnated, and feels like we're picking up from ESB.
As much as I like TFA, and I do a lot, I felt that it should have been a middle movie. You can't destroy a government without showing people what it did. You can blow up a planet because we have the person who lived and grew up there right on screen to look sad at us so we know we should be horrified at it we can equate a planet with people, but Government's aren't people. But our understanding of what the Empire was and how it operated expanded over the course of the movies. In this case the New Republic will just have to expand over the course of the books.

It might be that Disney just didn't want to retread something that Legends had gone over in a movie. It might seem like they were just going to do what the books did. Maybe Disney and the story group decided that Republic stuff should stay in the books, while the more action and fantasy elements would remain the main focus of the movies. Who knows.

I don't know user,what appears to now be a lawless galaxy sounds like a pretty big "corner" to be in.

I'll admit I've been letting my displeasure with TFA overcome better sense. There are good stories to be told with the OT cast still, but the spectre of TFA having all them having accomplished ultimately nothing is different than PT.

The PT comes after the OT. All characters in it from the OT were introduced there first, not the other way around. The PT was made to be the tragic origin of the OT. TFA retroactively makes the ending of ROTJ tragic. Not only will the EU stuff around post-ROTJ be ultimately futile like the PT EU, but the very OT movies themselves are ultimately futile in a way the old EU, for all it's incredibly faults, never was (until Legacy). Where once they could've truly accomplished something, now they will, for all that the journey matters more than the destination, accomplish nothing but things that can in no way show up in the new movies. It's an unfortunate situation, quite terrible honestly, especially because it's only that way because TFA is so shamelessly uncreative.

Luke can have fun adventures with his students. Han can make something of himself. Leia can help build up the Republic. But all Luke's students must die, or perhaps quite shameless but perhaps for the better reintroduced as "not actually dead after all" that began to plague the old post-ROTS EU. Han must eventually return to type and become a smuggler with no one but Chewie watching his back. Leia must ultimately not only leave the Republic she helped creature, but lose the brother and husband she found and ultimately see her Republic exploded by the Deathstar-But-Seriously-Even-Better-Guys-You-Have-No-Idea. It's not just that they'll end badly like the PT, it's that they shouldn't have to but for a pretty bland setting requirement. The PT, for all its faults, sets up the OT. Now the OT is made the same, but instead to set up TFA, which is a much less lofty sort of thing.

Seeing what?

Dude, the new poke shit man
It's crazy dude

lol what an acne faggot

I just feel with the way TFA ended that there's no logical place it could go other than a retread of Empire Strikes Back. All of the pieces are in place for that exact same plot over again, plus you have to shoehorn all of the side characters from the first one like Maz Kanata and Phasma. I can't see it being anything other than a total mess.

>Luke doesn't train Jedi for 8 years
Why is this a bad thing? I'm not familiar with the EU much, so I assume you're talking 8 years after Return of the Jedi. But RotJ ends with Luke only in his mid-20s, and while he's certainly gifted and demonstrates moral fortitude he's hardly a wise master. It makes sense that he would take time before starting an academy. All things considered, 8 years seems like a very modest amount of time to take.

I just can't believe they actually remembered Snap exists. Also the new Chimera is cool.

Actually, for all the retreads TFA did, I don't think they're stupid enough to copy ESB next. They all know they have to do something different this time around. Maybe I am getting my hopes up, but I think 8 is going to be a very unique Star Wars movie, and will properly stand out.

TFA so easily adapts to getting rid of its more retarded elements it's not really even amusing. Luke's Jedi don't all have to be dead. They could merely be intentionally scattered to avoid directly confronting Snoke and his Revan cosplayers until they know more, or perhaps just scattered to go unnoticed while they research it. With Luke on a quest to uncover who he is, rather than hiding out on a rock for over a decade. We can completely throw out Star Killer, it's a retarded set piece. We could have something similar, like the First Order having some secret shipyards to build up a massive fleet that breaks whatever treaties were made. That can be the secret that needs to be brought to the Resistance. They can be the big final set piece as the Resistance tries to destroy the docks and prevent the completed parts from escaping, failing to do all of it, leaving the looming threat of the Order having a huge boost in power.

Luke could be journeying with Rey, some reluctant student he's picked up. They could then meet Han and have Luke be the one to convince Han to return, and then with Leia to confront Ben. Luke can be kidnapped instead, as he's the one who knows where everyone else is. Rey has to be convinced to go after him, after Finn finally mans up to accept facing the Order. Luke and Ben have a much more convincing confrontation about Ben's weaknesses. Han can still die facing him, Luke can be non-fatally taken out by a younger Ben who still gets monstrously fucked over by Chewie, now Luke too, then Finn, then finally Rey who finishes him off like in the movie by finally accepting being a Jedi. They leave to go train again and continue searching, or track down whatever the plot point VIII will be about, with Luke having extracted it from Ben's mind during the interrogation.

A lot of the beats, and even the scenes, can be kept the same while avoiding its more egregious nonsense. But then it wouldn't look much like ANH anymore, and we can't have that.

>Where once they could've truly accomplished something, now they will, for all that the journey matters more than the destination, accomplish nothing but things that can in no way show up in the new movies.
Not true at all, various accomplishments of the New Republic can, and probably will, show up in ST properties. Any thing that you can think of the Legends New Republic doing the canon one could have done as well, it's just that the governing planets (at the time, if the planet hoping senate is true, I don't actually recall if that thing is canon) are now gone. They could have ousted the Hutts in some way, or gotten them to go legit and join them. Maybe the Vong are a real race in the canon now and they ended up having a war with the republic, but now they're part of it, or extinct.

The New Republic might not even be GONE. The US wouldn't cease to exist if the Capitol blew up. The states would make a new senate and house after the fact. They'd institute a draft, rebuild the army, counter attack. They never took the First Order seriously before, but I bet they sure as shit do now.

This is me being a pessimist, but given how TFA ends, not to mention Starkiller's next target is the Resistance base, and not, you know, any other major Republic target that's not just a hole in the ground that a few X-Wings are in, leads me to believe the status quo is meant to be "Republic is now entirely beheaded, only our Heroes can confront the villains." This may not end up being true, but I have little faith in that.

I believe it's also mentioned the Republic's fleet was hanging around its capital, so those are gone too. The status quo is meant to be ANH's "we won the battle, but are still the underdogs in a bigger war" shtick.

The biggest variables for what VIII turns out to be (and how good it is) in my view are what the story does with Kylo Ren's turmoil and Luke. I don't see the films wasting Luke in a mere Yoda 2.0 role. I think he'll have a more active role in the conflict. As for Kylo, TFA baked emotional confusion into the very foundation of the character in a way that The Empire Strikes Back didn't have for Vader until the end of the movie. I wouldn't be surprised if Kylo Ren has his redemption arc sooner than later. I could be wrong, though.

What I'm saying is that VIII has the room and potential to deviate from previous Star Wars stories if it wants to and tries.

>This may not end up being true, but I have little faith in that.
So you're juswt going to say hrumphj it's all terrible!" without bothering to go into any of it.
>I believe it's also mentioned the Republic's fleet was hanging around its capital, so those are gone too
hence the "rebuild the army" bit. The Republic was always larger than the First Order, they're the ones made up of all the planets that used to support the rebels with military hardware, and now probably much more, they'd be in a much better position to rebuild than the First Order would be. Though I'm sure we'll find that Starkiller Base was really run by a skeleton crew or something.

The point is everyone says that "oh it's just like Empire wah wah" when there's plenty around that can be utilized to make it not the Empire. For one the bigger political force i the Good Guys this time around. The roles of the Empire and the Rebels have been switched (an idea that I loved with TFA). To me TFA is largely what we would have gotten if Yavin blew up anyway.

I've been saying this for a while now, but my ideal way of handling Ep VIII would be to have Rey kill Kylo Ren in the ending. That would be a shocker on the level of "I am your father" because not only would it close the doors on the expected Kylo Ren redemption arc, but it would open new doors for a Rey redemption arc.

They would never do that though because Rey needs to be a role model for little girls and therefore can't have any shades of darkness.

I can't speak for the other user, but TFA fucking suck bro.
It's treatment of the OT heroes is just disappointing, because they were right back to where they started 30 years ago. Is it in Han's character to cut and run? It WAS, but not after RotJ. Leia is now back to being a Rebel Leader, which wouldn't be so bad if JJ had put a spin on it and making her part of an official task force by the New Republic with actual government support. But he didn't, because she HAS to be on the ropes with only a small band of X-Wings. The difference between Luke's Jedi Order and the PT's Jedi Order is that in the PT, the Jedi had been around for 1000 years (generations if you prefer) and had begun to stagnate and had grown arrogant in their seat of power. Luke's was just beginning his, and he had learned the lessons of the orders past mistakes. But no. Luke MUST be the new Yoda. And there can't be a bunch of Jedi running around because Luke HAS to be the Last of the Jedi. It would not have even been so bad if there was, like, a dozen jedi survivors hanging out with Luke on this temple island, or Luke had memory wiped and hidden around he galaxy. At least then he wouldn't have been doing nothing for 10 fucking years while he waited for some chick he may or may not know to shove a lightsaber at him and have this big awkward silence.

I don't hate TFA. I'm just really disappointed.

Is it me, or is Lucasfilm starting to make subtle jabs at J.J? Gareth Edwards said of Rogue One that there would be no point in making the same thing over again and that doing something new was the way to go. Other people are starting to say the same thing.

yes, user, everyone is in on the joke

What is groundbreaking about Rebels?

I don't think that's likely. It could be interesting, but unlikely. It would be hard to do well. My biggest reason for expecting a Kylo redemption is that it would be a huge turd on Leia and Han (as well as Luke) if he didn't. I don't know if he'll survive the trilogy, but I do think he'll have some kind of redemption. And I hope it happens sooner than later; it would be interesting to see a character like Kylo cope with his actions. Vader never had time to ruminate on them; his redemption was a suicidal act.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part because I find Kylo Ren a much more interesting character than Rey.

I have noticed this. A few months after TFA came out, and the hype had sizzled away, there was a growing sentiment among fans about there not being anything new to discuss or speculate on, and many people at Lucasfilm seem to be expressing that opinion too.

Even Amy Hennig, working on the untitled Visceral Star Wars game, just put out an interview where she talks about how important her team feels that they have to show us new and original stuff, but story wise, and visually. You could very easily infer some dissatisfaction of TFA there.

Three Seasons (with 4 more planned) is a miracle for DisneyXD, but I guess Star Wars gets the free pass. Let's see... It's being created by Filoni, who is Lucas-lite, that's a big accolade in the Star Wars community. It was the first on-screen Vader action since 1983, so that's a big deal. Not sure if you could call it groundbreaking, but whatever. I imagine it probably gets the best ratings for the channel too? I dunno.

What's your deal with the Seventh Sister ?
She's pretty much Asajj Ventress without character development

The First Order IS the Empire. That's the entire point. The inversion of political position would have been interesting, if the New Republic wasn't completely wiped out in the first movie.

If the First Order gained strength over the course of the Sequel Trilogy, while the New Republic's strength started to wane, that WOULD be interesting. It would give our heroes some other thing to worry about. But unfortunately, JJ happened. And we didn't get that. We got the Empire vs the Rebels all over again.

my favorite things about TFA, and I remember mentioning this after it came out where the people that actually liked it outnumbered the people crying about it on here, was how reversed parts of it were. I mentioned the Empire/Rebels reversal in this thread, but in those older times I and a couple other anons talked about how we really liked the talk of the Light Side of the force actively attempting to sway Kylo Ren, when before it was always the Dark Side that "seduced" people. That, I think, is what should be focused on in this series. The last two trilogies were all about The Dark Side taking over and fucking shit up, now it's the Light Side's turn to creep into places and say "Hey, you see those sand people? Maybe you should help them across the street, we don't want anyone turning an ankle here."

well, a small fraction of the Empire, anyway.