I'm like 8 issues into Claremont's run, and I genuinely don't know how Wolverine got so popular...

I'm like 8 issues into Claremont's run, and I genuinely don't know how Wolverine got so popular. He such an unlikable asshole next to everyone else.

Other urls found in this thread:

byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=2&T1=Questions about Comic Book Projects#40
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because edgy arrogant teenagers can relate to him and think he's cool.

t. formerly one of those.

Because we knew basically nothing about him when he was introduced. Every once in a while they'd drop another hint about his past, but you have to understand, it was a while before we even saw him without a mask.

Pretty much this He's an edgy loner who doesn't play by the rules and only relies on himself being the best at what he does. He's basically what every 13 year old dreams of being.

That's cause you don't know the history about it. Claremont and Cockrum did want to write Wolverine out of the book, but then Cockrum left and Byrne took over. Byrne didn't want the only Canadian character to get written out, so he tried to make Wolverine more interesting. It worked since Claremont kept Wolverine on.

People like to pet his hairy ass for good luck.

>Wolverine
>costume looks nothing like a wolverine and more like a German Shepherd

byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=2&T1=Questions about Comic Book Projects#40

>As you've said before, when you were more patriotic towards Canada :), you stated that Chris was going to write Wolverine out of Uncanny X-Men until you convinced him that the X-Men needed a Canadian. I was wondering what issue would he have written Wolverine out of the book, and why?

>JB: Chris and Dave never cared much for the character. Nightcrawler was Dave's creation, and his fave, and he put so much emphasis on Kurt (including adding new "powers" almost every issue!!) that we used to joke around the office that the book should be called NIGHTCRAWLER (Co-Starring the X-Men). I don't think they had a definite issue number selected for Logan's eviction, but from the way Chris talked, it would not have been much longer, had Dave continued on the title.

Logan is the best Marvel character.

You like it or not, if it wasn't for him, the X-Men would never have reached such success (in fact before his introduction, the X-Men were about to be cancelled), and neither Marvel with them. Marvel owns a lot to Wolvie. And even now his old alternative self, it's the best selling X-book. Deal with it.

Nobody cared about Wolverine until the Giant-Sized added him and a bunch of others to the X-Men to create a newer, more diverse team. And even then he wasn't that well-liked at first.

The X-Men popularised Wolverine, not the other way around.

Not say the contrary.

But without him, neither the X-Men would have ever become so popular. The 1st X-Men team was a bland failure. It was Logan and the All New Team that gave at the X-Men the dynamism, that they are lacking until this point.

What made Marvel decide to add a one-off character from Incredible Hulk to X-men anyway? Seems odd when you think about it like that.

It was mostly Len Wein. He created Wolverine and also wrote that Giant-Size issue which introduced international X-Men like Storm and Colossus, so he thought it should be good to throw Wolverine into the bunch.

Problem is that you're an overly sensitive fatty.

If you weren't such a fucking faggot you would understand the appeal.

Well, you haven't read much of anything yet. I don't even think you're to the part where weird leprechaun's first reveal that his name is Logan. Wolverine hasn't really become Wolverine yet.

You'll get it in time.

Was the weird leprechaun supposed to be the Elf with a Gun from Gerber's Defenders? They both look way too similar.

people are also right about Byrne working to give wolverine spotlight moments

yeah what made Wolverine huge was "Now it's my turn" which OP hasn't got to

Without wolverine xmen would never have made a come back like it did he back story has everything japs with swords illegal medicial experiments basterd kids clones old man logan i enjoy the old school wolverine i even enjoy the wolverine origins wjen he fights deadpool. Also enjoy when garth ennis had him fight the punisher and a bunch of midgets

Claremont originally hadn't really figured Wolverine out when he started. It took a while for him to give him his moments in the sun and that was pretty great.
Then the moments in the sun become more and more with all those japan adventures piling up and eventually as he started moving more towards team leader positions, the story would start bending over backwards to justify it. Occasionally the contradictions of Wolverine would become too much for the story to handle and we would start getting amazing moments like pic related.

>an unlikable asshole

So what?

That's...true. The X-Men had been more like Mutie Prep School before All-New.

From what i recall, that scene was an editorial mandate or something. One of the usual Marvel's mess ups.

I think that's an overall problem started by Quesada's Marvel and continued by Alonso's Marvel.

Just look at Bendis' nonsensical depiction of Hawkeye in Civil War II.

THIS. I can't believe it took this long for someone to say "Wait till the Hellfire Club arc, pleb."

A single panel that gave birth to a Legend!

>tfw your art will never be as consistently good as john byrne's

>people would never enjoy being an absolute jackass vicariously
You do understand that characters like House MD exist entirely because they allow people to do this, right?

Logan is the Baddest Baddass in Baddassistan. He's a crude sumbitch that takes zero shit and gives zero fucks; smokes; drinks; rides a motorcycle; and doesn't even hesitate to mack on the hottest girl in the room right in front of her man.

And that's before you get into the foot long daggers that come out of his fists and the healing factor.

He's the most perfect adolescent male power fantasy this side of Conan the Barbarian ffs.

They created a minoriteam with a black woman, a Russian, a Jap, a blue elf, etc. So a furry Canadian midget fit right in.

The tiredness of Wolverine's character doesn't kick in until many dozen issues later, he's pretty decent at first. Sucks that the rivalry between Thunderbird and him never got off the ground.

Logan is not only that.

When he is written as he should be, is a very complicated and deep character.

I believe that Marvel did a huge mistake, when they killed off Mariko. With Mariko dead, died also an important part of Wolverine with her.

>tfw your art will never be good

John Bryne's panelling in this is fucking dope!

Unlike normal adults like yourself, who dream of being boring wage slaves being told what to do and attending one social event after another.

Just because Bub Sniktson is an unlikable asshole doesn't make him a bad character.

Wolvie is the X-Men's Champion!

This annual is what turned Wolverine into 10 year old me's favorite character, and he's honestly still my favorite to this day. I think that there's something really powerful about a character who's had life kick the shit out of him worse than just about any superhero at Marvel, and has every reason to be a beast, and still tries to be a better person that he was the day before, even if he screws up all the time

The flawed nobility of Wolverine is what made him appealing.

He was just a tiny berserker originally, but everything between X-Men 133 and the incredible Wolverine 10 is a great transformation for the character. The issues with Mariko were particularly emotional, especially for comics of the time.

Byrne's a really underrated storyteller imo.

Came into this thread to say this. Once you see him tear ass through the sewers under the Hellfire Club he'll win you over. It was editorial and shit writers that turned Wolverine into the mess he is today, Claremont's is flawless.

the version of the comics I downloaded also has the fan mail and the ads, people didn't seem to like wolverine initially but then they grew to like him, you can see this as he starts to become less of an asshole. by the time the xmen are fight magneto for the second time, the rest of the xmen seem to like him now because of his rebellious streak against cyclops's orders. basically he has good character development

storytime?

This.

Wolverine changed the history of the cape characters. Until then, cape characters have been rather simple. Wolverine changed that, introducing a character complexity that was never seen before. Logan was not a pretty boy, and at the beginning, he was a tormented soul, unlikable, angry against a world that turned him to a beast. But then his character development was impressive. Logan became the synonyme, of what means to be an X-Man. Outcast, tormented, emarginated, but he never lost his faith to humanity or to his quest to be a better person, even when he is usually messed up. Because that's what Logan teach us, to never give up, even when in the worst of situations.

>It was editorial and shit writers that turned Wolverine into the mess he is today,
I would blame it on the movie. He was popular, but he wasn't over-saturated in the market until after the movie came out (and suddenly his ongoing turning into a rotating door of writers, and being on both UXM and New X-Men teams). By that point he just became a marketing tool.

I actually have no problem with his character development, even up til his death - his life is a clusterfuck, but I feel he's one of the few Big 2 characters to actually have some form of progress in their life, without having to rely on a sliding timescale or retcons for development. I hate Aaron's run on the character in general, but him and Remender really helped bring the character full circle. It'd be a shame for him to be brought back and have to return to the status quo.

I love X-Men, but you should read more pre-1975 comics. The idea that "cape characters ha[d] been rather simple" is just hyperbole.

Storm was a far better character in terms of development, and far more historically significant.

les go

dat 2nd panel

>He's just one man, what's the worse he could do

Henchmen saying this right before getting wreaked is my favorite

this is prime Dark Phoenix Time

i think at some point they tried to retcon the fight and said wolverine didn't kill those goons which OK whatever you say marvel

dat bondage helmet

Wolverine playing Dirty Harry, and with the psychological state and fear of the guard, is one of the most memorable moments in the history of the comics!

C'mon Cyke!

what really pisses me off about the hellfire club, they're fucking tories

OH NO!!!!

That's it

>senator
>secret service

Was Kelly running for president?

Not that user, but those are not, in fact, the only two options.

I was coming to this thread hoping to see this storytimed. Thanks.

i don't remember, I think the President can assign them to protect whoever if he wants so you can no prize that out

Yes.

Check the second panel.

That's what I get for skimming

No bro they became members of the Reavers

the exact moment in which Wolverine became iconic is the Hellfire Club part of the Dark Phoenix saga in which he defeats all of them after being thrown into the sewer by Harry Leland.

basically, this