I wish Italians had had bit of that Roman lust with colonies, since I love Italian language and culture

I wish Italians had had bit of that Roman lust with colonies, since I love Italian language and culture.
My heart says 'learn Italian :)', but my brain says 'learn Spanish, it'll be useful if you travel around.', so what am I suppose to do?

Learn Italian you fool. Learning any language besides English is not a necessity. Might as well learn one you love

>it'll be useful if you travel around

don't be delusional. You hardly even leave your house

Listen to your brain unless you're an engineer or in IT and you can find a work here or at least be "the guy who can communicate to Italian partner societies"
Otherwise you will have learned a language for nothing but some week abroad here and there

Learn italian and travel there?

but my brain says 'learn Spanish
Wat?

200IQ and learn Mandarin

They all speak English, learn Mandarin instead

I'm studying chemistry atm, applying to med school this spring, and I'd probably never reach sufficient proficiency in italian/spanish to work there, but some of my finnish friends can speak spanish with seemingly little effort and I'm jelly.

Also love learning new languages, and spanish/italian is really easy for a finn to pronounce.

I just like cooking, and think Italy would have more interesting things to offer if I learnt it.

Italy is only spoken in Italy, with Spanish you can get around in a lot of places around the globe.

There are thousands of plates you could learn to cook from Spain/Latin america

Spain has passed its language onto more countries than Italy has. But OP, go with what you love, screw convenience, just learn what you're actually passionate about.

there's 0 reason to learn italian unless you actually plan to live here

This is probably true. I have travelled around Italy/Sardinia and Spain quite a bit, and Italy has just seemed a tad bit more interesting in that regard.

there's always scatalan or sardinian dialect, where you get a bit both spanish and italian (while not speaking either)

why would you do that to yourself

You should listen to your ass and learn Finnish

t. mad flyover

So where does your heritage lie?

For a Finnish guy there's also probably 0 reasons to learn Spanish. I would learn German if I were him

If you learn one, you can understand about 70% of the other.

Read it as UNDERSTAND, you won't be able to speak it.

Then learn German. I think it's either too hipstery or just boring.