Series or books?

Series or books?

Other urls found in this thread:

christianentertainmentreviews.com/2016/01/22/the-shannara-chronicles/
youtube.com/watch?v=SQsXznYNzz8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Neither. The series is atrocious, and the books aren't much better. If you want great sci-fi/fantasy, I recommend The Book of the New Sun.

Both are shit. Choose series cause that takes less time.

maximum eye roll at you

this plus the shitposting on /got/ makes the series better

Upvote

Reading the books doesn't add to the shitposting any more so there's no point to the extra knowledge.

That's like recommending Moby-Dick to a special ed class.

Knowing what happens later in the story now I would never pick even the first book, which I read and imo it's pretty good.

That's a damn good point

I thought the first three books were good when I first read them but they're a chore to reread. You really have to have patience to slog through the fake history stuff. Books four and five are irredeemable dogshit. I wouldn't wish the fifth book on my worst enemy. George's mind has gone to shit with age.

Except Moby Dick is actually good.

Book of the New Sun is the prototypical le edgelord contrarian who hates popular fantasy choice.

Book of the New Sun is the Hot Topic edgelord of fantasy books.

What's the whole joke around Moby Dick anyway, is it written poorly? I've only just started to read a lot of well known books like 1984 and Brave New World.

>edgelord

Just who do you think you're fooling here?

Hmmm...

Spend countless hours of your life reading a fat man's list of 6657465312690 characters and the deeds of their grandfathers like a fucking autist.

or

Spend ten hours a year to get the good stuff from all that coupled with great visuals and discuss it with Stacies from your uni the next day without the risk of sperging out and going "Well akshually in the book..." like a fucking virgin.

That's a damn tough choice my man.

Series
The story and characters are good in both but GRRM is a fucking awful writer.
The only time he gets descriptive is during the pedo rape scenes and the rest of the time it reads like a dry history book. So boring that I couldnt get past the 4th book

Moby-Dick is great, but it's pretty dense for Sup Forums. I have a hard time imaging any of the Ritalin children on this board reading anything more complex than Brandon Sanderson.

The show is nothing good and stuff like MTV's Shannara did the same but with better results.
The books are terrible garbage full of liberal propaganda and "open the borders" stuff not to mention that he never investigated the obvious link between homosexuality and God's Wrath.
Read Brandon Sanderson if you want to read something good.

>>The only time he gets descriptive is during the pedo rape scenes

Not true, there are literally hundreds of pages worth of meal and food descriptions.

Books, for all that they are worth. They are more of a foreign cooking books, since Martin is drooling pig who can't stop stuffing his face or thinking about food for five seconds.
They are good for first read but you realize in retrospect that they are chock full of plotholes and awful writing, from the literal sense.
Each book is also finished in a cliffhanger that will never be relevant again in the future.

>so boring I only got through 2500 pages

cool story chief

>MTV's Shannara did the same but with better results.

No!

This. Such amazing potential marred by a dull style. I lost count of the number of mentions of "bare brown branches" north of the Wall.

>Read Brandon Sanderson if you want to read something good
fucking lol

he spits out dogshit fantasy books like a dog with diarrhea

I'm not historically a Sanderson fan but the Stormlight Archive books are pretty dope, actually.

But that guy you're quoting is obvious troll.

What the fuck is his problem? The endless lists of food and heraldry made me want to hurl the book out a window.

Take your adderall.

>series
Did you just call a TV show a "series"? What the fuck?

*reads thread*
What the FUCK, why is everyone doing it?

You can't seriously be defending that trash. It's one thing to pepper in detail, but to make it so bland and repetitive is just an insult to the reader. It's like he listed items straight out of some medieval cookbook.

>he spits out dogshit fantasy books like a dog with diarrhea
Holy shit, this sentence makes George R.R. "His lips look like two worms fucking" Martin look good. Glad you're not a fucking writer.

Hello, you must be new to the internet. Non-American forms of English are a thing.

The books have a dissonance in the content and writing style to me. They're full of goofy shit, ridiculousness fills almost every page, GRRM seems to take it all more serious than it reads and it just becomes kind of laughable after a while. Still enjoyable, there's a lot more going on - or at least seems that way - and more characters actually have character (one issue I had with the series was forgetting who the fuck a lot of the people were because their presence is so underwhelming).
The series for the first 3, maybe 4, seasons seemed to be made with an awareness of just how goofy it all is, so it was pretty entertaining to see. Now, it's alright but feels like it's sticking to a generic beat for everybody to follow.

>took him over 73 hours to read 5 books
No wonder you are so bitter. you barely have any brain function

Is the worms fucking line real? You have to be trolling.

>watching tv bro ya that's chad behavior
could you imagine being this pathetic?

This. I read the entire Goosebumps series in less than 73 hours. I'm one of the top posters on /lit/.

The food descriptions can be a bit much sometimes, but I enjoy the heraldry and houses and family names. They usually come up again later, and it may not be important information, but it makes the world seem big and alive.

I also never found any of it intrusive or lengthy enough not to easily skim past if I wasn't interested.

The books are fine, listen to the audiobooks on youtube while you do other shit, they go by faster and youll still get all the info, Roy Dotrice does a great job with them

this right here.

Martin keeps getting lost in trivial details, telling you the entire history of the third cousin of some random dude that will never come up again. I understand that he wants to set up his world with more details than some other writers but he just keeps losing track of what's important.

>lmao the books like totally suck that's why I've seen every episode of the show based on them lol no cognitive dissonance here

Regardless of your opinion on the series as a whole AGoT is a very well written book with a very clear grand vision

A seven-book series shouldn't just be "fine" to justify reading them.

Good lord, man. I know this is Sup Forums but get some taste.

I could tell you the books would cure your mental retardation and you still wouldn't get off your lazy inbred ass and actually read one.

Books are ok, the series are pure shit

>very well written

FAT PINK MAST
SUNSET FOUND HER SQUATTING
etc.

Fuck off. I defy you to find anything that awful in Tolkien.

The show is well written, well acted, the cast is white and the story deal with God.
Read a well thought out review christianentertainmentreviews.com/2016/01/22/the-shannara-chronicles/

>he like writes too much
jesus christ Sup Forums

>Martin keeps getting lost in trivial details, telling you the entire history of the third cousin of some random dude that will never come up again

He really doesn't. Huge exaggeration.

All you know is the meme excerpts

Says the guy who's chuffed with himself for reading a 2-million-word soap opera.

yeah that user's talking out his ass, even at the Twins and shit where there's a million named characters you get a sentence or two for a couple of them and that's it

neither of those things are in AGoT I know you're trying to meme or whatever but try and at least pretend you are literate.

Besides you've never read either authors offerings so what use is comparing them?

>Martin delayed a book a couple of years so he can find a logical way to bring the characters together in Meereen
>In the show every episodes characters teleport halfway across the continent in one episode while others take entire season to get from point A to point B

I prefer the Martin

Nah. Those are just the ones that come to mind first. The "knife up his butt" and "fat man straining to shit" lines are awful, too. You just have to wonder what he was thinking to keep those after a fourth or fifth read-through.

I know you're trolling but this made me laugh
>well thought out review
>christianentertainmentreviews.com

>that projection
I never said I read the book. there's more than one person in this thread. Try and keep up. This isn't the TV show so you won't get a "Previously on"

If you can't even follow this thread what hope do you have of reading any of ASoIaF or really any book for that matter?

I like both

Same but sometimes I wish he would say fuck it and teleport the assholes so that the book would fucking come out.
Even Martin cheats sometimes, like how in the first book somehow Tyrion caught up to Catelyn even though he started from the Wall and she from Winterfell and they ended up at the same place.

Just hurry up already grandpa.

No one's buying what you have to sell, troll. Keep trying.

there the only ones that come to your mind because you never read the books.

Have you read *any* book since high school ended user? You do read don't you?

caught up?
they were heading in different directions

A Feast for Crows is the ultimate pleb filter and the best book in the series, remember that

Series - even though it's utter garbage now. At least it'll have a conclusion, unlike the Fat Fuck's books.

How are they awful? Be specific.

Autistic world-building, internal logic and consistency > Blood, tits, girl powah, anachronistic retarded dialogue, whatever the fuck the show is.

Besides every single original thing in the show they added fell flat on it's face, showrunners are talentless hacks just read the leaked scripts

stop pretending you read the books

Huh?
They were both heading south to Kings Landing but then met at the tavern even though Tyrion was hundreds of miles farther away than when he started, unless I'm really misremembering something.

what's your favorite passage out of tolkiens body of work?

>there

>You do read don't you?

lol

yes, just the very minor detail that she already went to KL for a very insignificant meeting and was heading back

Oh shit that's how that sequence of events went, sorry I'm stupid then.
I only read it like two years ago too. My bad.

>They were both heading south to Kings Landing

No

embarrassing. Please explain why those particular lines you seem to be obsessed with don't fit within the context of the novels?

>Martin delayed a book a couple of years so he can find a logical way to bring the characters together in Meereen
Martin's a lazy fucking hack. He did not delay a book "to figure out the Mereenees knot" (a retarded hole he dug for himself) he's just fucking lazy. and delayed it so he could shove more cheese down his throat inbetween inane blogposts on the NFL, attending cons so he can bask in the worship of the fans he despises, and procrastinate on endless bullshit sideprojects like cunting WildCards.

Martin has released ONE fucking book in the series this century. Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons are 2 halves of the same book released seperately because the fat prick was taking so long.

His writing speed:
>Game of Thrones released 1996
>A Clash of Kings released 1998
>A Storm of Swords released 2000
>Complete Book 4 finally available 2011 (1st half released 2005)
>Book 5 (Winds of Winter) to be released...maybe next year.

He might complete Winds of Winter, but that'll be the last book he writes in the series. He's a grossly obese cheese eating hack who hates his fans and clearly hates the series he's created. The only question is will he have enough humility to finally accept what's up, be honest with himself and fans, and hand the series over to someone like Sandersen or a friend like Gaiman to write up the last book.

Read "A Feast for Dragons." Google that shit.

It's the combination of A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons in rough chronological order, and it reads a lot better than either novel on their own.

why are you so angry? you weren't going to read the books either way

All of those negatives you mentioned are in the books too, though. Even the anachronistic dialogue. Don't criticize the show for the tawdriness of the source material. At least the show will actually have an ending, which is more than you can say for George "imminent
cardiac arrest" Martin.

I dunno man, Dorne still drags a little.
Brienne and Jaime are amazing though.

>Moby-Dick is great
Isn't it just about a guy hunting a whale with a whole lot of DEEP?
Sounds about as enjoyable as reading the dictionary cover to cover.

I cannot imagine what Neil Gaiman writing ASoIAF would be like.

Though, I imagine it would be a lot more twee.

Yes I was. I'm an oldfag and read the first book on release 96. I certainly won't pay for anything he finally shits out in the future but I will read it just to get some closure/see how much of a car crash it is.

>Isn't it just about a guy hunting a whale with a whole lot of DEEP?

I feel like you might be inadvertently proving his point with your post.

Good call there.

Feast and Dance combined (with about 30% of the most pointless filler cut out) would be a decent book. Still weaker than first 3 but decent.

>Though, I imagine it would be a lot more twee.
No doubt. But at least it would get written, which it won't under GURM.

Online death calculators predict Martin will die by 2020 or so.

Is there a plan in place if he does?

Who cares the show ends next year.

Doe GRRM even write episodes for the show any more?

I'll be honest, the books aren't exactly great literature.
I'm sure there are several posts itt mentioning the "sunset found her passage" or the "fat pink mast" line.
Still, the books are all really fun, colourful, and I really have no idea where the plot will go even a few chapters in to The Winds of Winter never mind how the story will end. There's so many loose ends, and George has consistently shown he doesn't leave any left when he finishes a story so I know they'll all tie in to the plot eventually. This is why he takes so long to write, because making things stay internally consistent requires a lot of rewriting and editing.
The show on the other hand, looks like shit (no colour, everyone wears black, whole show is dark as fuck for some reason) and the plot couldn't be more predictable.
Dany and Jon will marry and Jon will secretly have been the One True King™ all along, all the "good guys" (who will all get valyrian steel swords) will defeat all the "bad guys" with maybe one or two curveballs, the lich king will get a hella awesome ice dragon and every main character who lives to the end will end up in some position in the royal court

Also I think it's fair to say that last episode with Jaime getting saved at the last second shows that all the "good guys" have plot armour, not just the main ones.

The books is a better story, it's more enjoyable in every way other than the cgi dragons you don't get to see, and honestly at 72 hours you're not wasting any less time reading the books than watching the show.

I think he's made mistakes with the pacing though. I'd have literally zero issues with the speed of book 4/5 if he was younger and could write quicker, but he doesn't exactly have much time left.

I read the first two Stormlight Archive books and they're shit. They remind me of a second rate shonen anime, like the later seasons of Bleach.

The original Mistborn series was bretty good tho. Elantris was cool in concept too, but I felt the execution was poor. I don't know anything about evaluating literature beyond high school English, but I can't really shake the feeling that Sanderson is a person with fairly unique ideas but mediocre writing skills and and inability to explore areas outside of his own personal boundaries, even when its detrimental to the narrative. His work definitely reminds me of pg-13 comic books.

>I'll be honest, the books aren't exactly great literature.

This is what gets me. The books are a fairly simple fantasy series, and the show writers still fuck it up and dumb it down huge amounts.

OP here, I just watched the first episode and I was wondering if they keep forcing so much sex and pointless nudity? I always hear of it being a selling point but it seems so overdone.

Yes, welcome to HBO; sex scenes because they can.

Read a good book instead

>Muh obscure shitty series is bettuh !

youtube.com/watch?v=SQsXznYNzz8

What's Book of the New Sun? Sell it to me.

Incorrect. The books are fantastic. Less Sup Forums and more outside, then your opinions won't resemble Sup Forums memes as much.

Neither. LOTR is better in every way.

>The books are fantastic

You don't read much, do you?