Is the Latin American security actually so messed up? Have you ever been robbed in Latin America?

Is the Latin American security actually so messed up? Have you ever been robbed in Latin America?

Other urls found in this thread:

bobarno.com/thiefhunters/panama-muggers/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i heard guatemala and nicaragua are hellholes

Some dude tried to rob me once but he didn't have any weapon so I just assumed he was on drugs and walked away

No, never.
And if i'm not mistaken, no one in my family has been robbed

>Have you ever been robbed in Latin America?
no, only pickpocketed
>Is the Latin American security actually so messed up?
yeh lol
though depends on the region of course

do you live in the city?

it's probably worse than you imagine

over the last 15 years our house has been assaulted 11 times, I don't even know how many times i've been pickpocketed and/or threatened with a gun or knife on the street because it happens basically every week

latrina america, not even once

Yes, but it's not a big one tho

No, and I even visit the "no-go or you'll get dieded areas" almost every day.

>Latrina America
Heh

>Based Cholo

I have friends who tell me how they got robbed in mid-day crowded streets. Meanwhile, i've walked alone throught shithole areas at 4 am and i've never got robbed.

I'm not sure if i'm insanely lucky or i just look poor as fuck.

are you living in a favela? sounds awful.. take care, lad

i thought paraguay and uruguay were safest in latam cause you're only two -guays

>Uruguay
It is pretty safe or so i've been told.
>Paraguay
Meh, we're definetely safer than 80% of Latin America, the worst thing it can happen to you is to get robbed by some junkie. There are no gangs nor daily kidnappings like in Mexico, Colombia, etc.

stay safe porra

Have you eaten some ears? I already got beheaded 3 times today, and the day is just starting.

woah, stay safe mamaguevo

>There are no gangs
yes there are
>nor daily kidnappings
well they aren't daily
and it depends if you plant soy/raise cows or not
fucking EPP

I have never been mugged or robbed in my 22 years of life here.
Worst I saw was a girl struggling with a robber who wanted to steal her purse. I was on a bus and she was screaming for help. The driver stopped and a bunch of people got off to chase off the guy who ran away.

but not you right? #italysoweak

>if you just had a warm hole between your legs all men would fiercely fight to protect and pamper you when you were going through your daily pickpockets

He's not making shit up, it's probably true.

My house was invaded once and I was a hostage together with my whole family for hours. I was tied up like a pig.
Got assaulted (gun robbery) once and pickpocketed this Carnaval, both times I lost my phone.

I've been robbed 3 times but I was a kid. Last time it happened was in 2008 when some dude in a bicycle stole my snapback, cheap cellphone and a bag full of groceries That I was carrying
Good lord, you people are obnoxious fucks. There are several countries in latin america with more kidnappings than Colombia. That stopped being a thing around 2008

You are unironically more likely to commit suicide in Korea than to get killed in most of Latin America, aside from Venezuela, El Salvador and Honduras

I've traveled around Mexico, Central America, and Western South America.

Mexico goes from dangerous to incredibly dangerous depending on where. Never robbed myself but had people I was traveling with assaulted and robbed, and was constantly being shaken down by crooked cops/military in the North and fake Zapitastas in the South. Lots of places feel like being under seige in a warzone; the second the sun starts to go down everyone and everything is bolted up and inside.

Central America it really depends where. The worst of it is lowland Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, and Honduras. Ran into a no-joke sicario in El Salvador (with mask and machine gun going to kill someone on a motorbike). Colon, Panama is probably the most dangerous place I've ever been. Nicaragua and Costa Rice felt 'safe' by regional standards, but you can see the locals still practice a high degree of caution.

Colombia is a step up in terms of perceived safety, although there's still some menace in the air, especially in the big cities. There are some slightly spooky shitholes on the coasts of Ecuador and Peru, but the highlands/interiors of those countries felt completely safe to me, as did all of Bolivia.

Well, I lived in this continent my entire life... never been robbed.
About 10 years ago someone stole my dad's car stereo though.

You are delusional.

compared to our neighbors we are a safe haven
they're THAT MUCH shit, we're really not good in terms of either safety or haven-qualities

this is true, I am been held as hostage in my house rn

Latin America is even more dangerous than Africa

>several countries
yeah, Mexico, El Salvador and shit like that

i always get scared of being out and get robbed, fortunately, i've never happen thru something like that.

No. But I live in a mostly white/amerindian area

my neighborhood limits with other 2 that are completely controlled by gangs and drugs, and i've never been robbed (i have 21)

It all depends on where you stay in LatAm. For example, if you come to Argentina and visit one of the three largest cities, Buenos Aires, Córdoba and Rosario, there are higher chances of getting assaulted. The rest of the country is substantially safer, but risks still exist.
I've been mugged twice, first time twelve years ago and second time nine years ago.

Brazil, Venezuela, guatemala, honduras

I've lived in Brazil for 25 years and never been robbed, same for my family.

Yes

They bring crime and drugs. They’re rapists. Some, I assume, are good people.

PERU IS SAFE
SAFE I REPEAT

You are 21 years old*

I am 21 years old.

¿Entiendes? No usa “tener”.

>russia has the same rate as brazil

What the fuck

Will Perú keep trying her best?

Yes. I was robbed once, and it was near my house, which is bad considering that I live in a relatively tranquil and safe part of the city.

I have been shot. To be fair, it wasn’t exactly crime-related.

You?

Amerindians are v-

>over the last 15 years our house has been assaulted 11 times, I don't even know how many times i've been pickpocketed and/or threatened with a gun or knife on the street because it happens basically every week
You make it sound as if you lived in Bogota

Posting an updated version

Never

>You make it sound as if you lived in Bogota
Objectively speaking Bogota is among the safest large cities. Medellin, Cali and Barranquilla are way more unsafe, like not even on the same scale

this is a really pretty map
i wish we could get more graphic designers into map making

I agree

Not even once

I was walking from Uni to my house and as I was about to reach home ( about 150 m away I guess - like 3 or 4 "calles" or "cuadras"), a man stopped me and asked me for directions. I thought, why not? and stopped to give him the indications he asked for. Then as I walked away, he approached me again, and after exchanging a few words he demanded that I gave everything of value I had with me to him. He told me, that he was carrying a gun and warned me not to try something. I value my life more than a cheap cellphone and 4 dollars so I gave those to him instead of resisting. He then left.

Most places outside the northeast are okay, even Curitiba or Rio, if you dont enter favelas. Northeast is a complete shithole.

>Bogota is among the safest large cities (in Colombia)
Maybe.

Still, I've never seen here many of the things that occur in Bogota or Medellin. Like, for example, armed robbers breaking into houses and taking the residents hostage or armed robberies during traffic jams or while vehicles stop at red lights.

But well, I don't live in a large city but a "medium" sized one (I guess It could be considered as such).

No, though I pretty much live in a bubble

Rio is worse than some northeast cities.

I know it is late mid night in Korea... but if any Korean stay around then can any of you help answer a question .. What does it say? Thanks a lot..

Argentina
Yes, like 7 times... i will leave this shithole.

>armed robbers breaking into houses
This is incredibly rare to be honest
> taking the residents hostage
dude you've been watching too many movies. I don't think eve 0,01% of the population has gone through this
>armed robberies during traffic jams or while vehicles stop at red lights
this shit happens in Cali, not in Bogota. However, in some parts of downtown (at night) you can get your wing mirror stolen by a junkie or hobo

Stat-wise this isn’t remotely true. Rio is top 5 safest capitals in Brazil. There isn’t a single northeastern capital safer than Rio. Difference is that nobody gives a fuck when smth happens in the northeast, but even a pickpocket in Rio is national news.

where did you get that map from? It's kinda ridiculous...

>a pickpocket in Rio is national news
This is the case here as well. Most middle sized cities don't get enough news coverage unlike big cities, so they think big cities are hell despite being statistically safer than some of those middle sized towns

People confuse safety perception with actual safety.

I don't even live in Latin America and I got robbed. A Brazilian with a Portuguese passport immigrated here and decided he could contribute to society by stealing phones. Dumb fuck got caught, yet as still allowed to stay! I hate this country.

It is shitty, but not as you might hear, specially for Brazil and Colombia
No

it's fake, I pointed it out a couple of days ago but the guy keeps posting it, probably made it himself

Yes Hyung, don't you ever come here

>not as you might hear
since someone brought up "news" up some posts,
gotta always keep in mind that good things happening are never in the news because they're supposed to be the norm. "bad news" of crime and accidents are supposed to be rare and hence newsworthy

Though I have never been assaulted or robbed in my entire life here (It doesn't mean that I people didn't tried to). I live around the center of São Paulo so I guess security here is not a problem if you know how to that care of yourself...

HEUAHEUAEHUA That's what you deserve, wh*Te boi.

Meu amigo foi visitar SP e se surpreendeu como a cidade melhorou em 10 anos. É verdade? Sem memes, como está a gestão do Dória?

페루가 최선을 다할 것입니다!

MACACO'D

As of Brazil, the north part and the south part of the country differ a lot.
Brazil's homicide rate per 100.000 hab. is 35,9.
São Paulo, which is a state in the southern part of the country is 8,5.
Sergipe, which is a state in the northern part of the country is 64,1.

So, if you're coming here just avoid that part of the country and you'll be ok.

Bem melhor do que há dez anos atrás. Não virou nenhuma Stockholm, mas a parte de manutenção das ruas e segurança está muito boa.
Muita gente (esquerdistas principalmente) adoram falar merda do Dória, mas até agora foi um dos melhores prefeitos dessa cidade.

I ve never being robed or anything like that. To be fair, I live in a relatively safe place and I know of people from poorer areas that have been victims of malefactors.

I was robbed when I was a kid old enough to go out alone, but still a kid, like around the age 12--14. it was never anything very valuable, just whatever money I had in the pockets and my watch

as an adult (or when I reached my adult size) I ve never been robbed

I think criminals are like predators, like lions, they always prefer to attack kids, women, or old people. so I would say it is more dangerous to be a woman than to be a man.
I worked night shift 4 years, nothing ever happened to me, but it did happen to female coworkers, who often quit after getting mugged because they shat that shift as dangerous.

Colón is a shithole for Panama standards. But it is not more dangerous than Guatemala, Colombia, El Salvador or Honduras.

LiveLeaks has convinced me never to go to Brazil.

What'd you do on night shift?

first I worked for a company that worked for Verizon (I had to work in English) doing call cente stuff, later as a hotel recepcionist

E com relação à pichação? A cidade ainda está toda rabiscada? E no centro?

I've been all around Guatemala, Colombia, and El Salvador and wasn't anywhere near as intimidating as Colon (had the good sense to blast through Honduras in a couple hours though).

This is funny: bobarno.com/thiefhunters/panama-muggers/

The contrast with Panama City is nuts considering they're in the same country and a short drive apart.

Sorry. Colombia is actually safer than Colón.

Hmm, don't think I've ever spoken to an Argie call center representative. How's your accent when speaking English?

t.

homicides and general security aren't the same thing.

Is it really possible that Mexico is safer than Puerto Rico?

most likely he didn't carried any gun.

ahaha loser.

see , Banamono.

Homicides don't affect the majority of the population. Normal crime (theft, burglaries, scams) does.

yes, if you take in account per capita

however, that's when it comes to homicides, which aren't the only and most common crime

I don't buy it. How can be possible that we are less susceptible of being a crime victim than Chile or Argentina? That doesn't make any sense. The only explanation is that maybe other countries report more than us or this data is fake.

I've been to Colón several times and it is like going to another planet. I mean, even Panamá city have very sketchy parts and is rather unsafe compared with most of the country, but Colón is something else. It looks degraded and extremely poor. Though they are doing some restoration and building social housing there lately.
Nevertheless, I think I am safer in Colón than in El Salvador for example. At least in Colón there are a fuck ton of police presence and the murder rate is not above 50.

I've been robbed 3 times and pickpocketed once and live in a fairly safe neighborhood

CHILE BTFO ARGENTINA

Puerto Rico is just another caribbean shithole, so yes

I died, twice already.

> a brit getting mugged
not even mad