Hey Sup Forums I'm 19 and barely have drawn before in my life...

Hey Sup Forums I'm 19 and barely have drawn before in my life. I just started a drawing course but supplies are expensive and I'm having doubts. Is there any hope for me?

Pic related, it's my drawing of Spider-Man from a few days ago

Other urls found in this thread:

alexhays.com/loomis/
youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M
hubpages.com/art/how-to-draw-learn
youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

good lord who draws like that at 19

go an hero

Face is horrible webbing is decent.

>I just started a drawing course
Please don't tell me you're paying to learn how to draw.

It looks like Spider-Charmander

The pattern is auctualy semi decent.
Draw some more art user show us

>Is there any hope for me?
Of course, just remember that most people are shit at something when they start.
Also, look for help on if you really want to get better.

you better make that drawing course worth it, all you really needed is paper a pencil and and fun with a pencil, by loomis.

>I just started a drawing course but supplies are expensive
>drawing course

There's your problem.

>supplies are expensive
What the fuck.

For beginners, using aerodynamic pencils with 81 different softness levels on a paper made from the branches of the Bodhi tree really isn't necessary. You can take a piece of coal from a hobo's fireplace and learn to draw on a concrete without paying a dime. Or get a pencil for a couple of cents and snatch a couple printing papers from your dad's office and you're good to go.

Basically if you pay for a drawing course while you're poor yourself, drop it and follow my better course:
>draw anything or anyone you see on a daily basis
>copying other works is allowed as long as it doesn't become a habit
>keep going until you die because no one achieves perfection in their lifetime
>protip: never use a goddamn eraser - fixing broken as fuck shit makes only things worse, just like with relationships

OP this is my progress, I started at 19 as well, pretty much the exact same as you are now. This is even outdated since I've done some better work since the last image on here. It's never too late, and there's always hope as long as you actually focus on learning from mistakes and improving. You may not notice the progress in the moment but looking back at older pieces and comparing them is often a great way to see how far you've come. Draw every day, whether it's large or small. You'll lose it if you don't. Good luck user!

>but supplies are expensive
Children and mentally handicapped do not have a place here. Please do yourself a favour and leave.

That looks like a 5 hear old drew it.
You should give up, user.

I don't really see how age is a factor, I can't draw for shit and something I'd do would likely look far worse.

Looks like Spoderman from the Dolan comics.

The /ic/ sticky is your friend

Age isn't really a factor, although you'll give up on art before you get any better.

Yeah, I second this.

lol did a nigger draw this?

>tfw you remind me of my old drawing style
it hurts so much

>by user, age 3

I'm proud son, I'm gonna hang this up here on the refrigerator. So talented

>>protip: never use a goddamn eraser - fixing broken as fuck shit makes only things worse, just like with relationships
Damn. This was actually some pretty good life advice. Thanks user.

>supplies are expensive
Pencils, erasers and paper is expensive?

OP is obviously unemployed so spending 4 dollars on art supplies is expensive

>Posting a photo with your jack off lotion visible

lol what? Drawing classes can help you a ton.

>protip: never use a goddamn eraser - fixing broken as fuck shit makes only things worse, just like with relationships
No. That's fucking stupid. If you're drawing and you need to correct something ,erasing it is perfectly fine. They literally make "artists' erasers." I'm convinced you've never actually drawn anything before.

Learn to do gestures and anatomy studies. Buy books from Andrew Loomis, Burt Hogarth and Michael Hampton, and PRACTICE. Do studies from your favourite artists do learn about stylisation and competsation. If you want to document your work online use a website like ConceptArt or Permanoobs, and made a beginner's thread. It's never too late! Good Luck. :)

damn you guys are mean fuckers lol

>Never use an eraser
Fuck that and that shitty advice. I even use an eraser not to fix mistakes but to add to pencil drawings.

Free handing with pens is a good practice to better yourself if you feel the need to never try to fix something. If you fuck up its either ruined or you have to work around the mistake.

Its part of the site culture. We love you deep inside user.

practice like there is no fucking ending.

Take your time.
Get as much practice with life drawing as possible.
Study anatomy.

alexhays.com/loomis/

Practice. all the time. ALL THE TIME.
If you're watching something, draw while you watch it.

It never used to be apart of this board's culture, but things changed.

You only do well what you've trained to do.
Practice, practice and practice again. Every day.
You've got a long journey ahead.

Does anyone here use Clip Studio Paint. How is it in comparison to Sai and Photoshop? I'm wondering if I should buy it.

I can't believe I wasn't aware of the 70% off sale a year ago. That seems crazy.

Yes user, you can do it. We all start somewhere and practice is integral. You have to want it, but I believe in you.

Check out /ic/ and its beginners threads and the resources that are given, it's a great place to start.

I guess I should've been clear - beginners who have never held a pencil in their hands before in their lives (OP) shouldn't own an eraser for drawing.

This newbie's carefully-trying-to-work-out-a-perfect-line style is utterly disgusting when they have no clue on what they're actually doing. Even if they use these "artist's erasers" really carefully they still somehow manage to erase a goddamn hole into the paper. Look at that shit in OP's pic - his lines are full of insecurity and uncomfortability and he has no clue on what he is actually doing so what's an eraser going to do in this situation? It will only make him waste time on one picture he cannot salvage for an eternity.

>to add to pencil drawings
This is where an eraser comes to play.

Art is 100% practice and dedication
You won't get good instantly, it's a long process and you're constantly learning new things no matter how long you've been at it

If you're truly dedicated, brush up on your fundamentals first (construction, lighting, etc)
And always always save your old drawings, no matter how much you want to trash them.

I'd post some of my progress but I'm away from my PC at the moment.

Clip Studio is like the Japanese baby of SAI and Photoshop
I love it, I've been using it for two years now
Especially with the new animation features (limited to 24 frames in Pro, EX is unlimited)

Even better would be start learning with a pen.
Then you can clearly see your mistake and move on from there.

Gives a major boost to confidence in the long run.

>And always always save your old drawings, no matter how much you want to trash them.

This.

We don't know what he really wants to do or wants to end up with. OP as a beginner seems to just want to improve in general. He can and should use pens but I don't think it's fair to steer him only one way. He will find out what he likes along the way. Pens can get complicated too. Perfect lines, only lineart, black and white, cross hatching, etc. That's a lot for him to juggle right now. He is going to fuck up a lot, OP should have fun with it as well as work on improving anatomy. References and guides are great, so it's drawing from real life.

Hopefully OP just doesn't get too comfortable where he is and draws the same way for twenty years.

18 year old here. I practiced drawing jonathan joestar awhile back with a no. 2 pencil, what yall think?
(Also if you want I can show you my own shitty spidey drawing)
> my phone is weird about my magnifier camera so I had to screenshot my pic

>and he has no clue on what he is actually doing so what's an eraser going to do in this situation?
Erase the mistake so he can try it again and hopefully do better. You can use shitty drawings to focus on something specific you want to work on. Your example also has nothing to do with "ZOMG NEVER USE ERASERS"
Your heart is in the right place, you just have a really dumb mindset.

it reminded me of this
youtube.com/watch?v=1EKTw50Uf8M

Keep drawing dude.

I got it off the sale and have been happy with it, but then again I was using GIMP before it. It comes with ton of weeaboo art assets if that's your thing, but I never use them so can't comment how useful they are. It's entirely competent drawing program on its own, but it does take some time getting used to it.

Am I going to make it, Sup Forums?

Welp, I know the answer to this: I must keep trying. any other critiques you guys wanna let me in on for my jojo pic?

Keep practicing. Draw from real life, learning to draw realistically helps with drawing in all fields.

And don't fucking stop, don't be a lazy cunt who puts it off on another day. Fucking keep drawing your shit drawings and get better, then keep drawing your less shitty drawings and get better, don't fucking stop for any reason. Just fucking draw. The only thing that'll stop your is your own laziness, so keep at it you fucking bastard and keep fucking drawing, even if it's on a napkin with a 10 cent pencil, keep drawing.

here you go user this should help you hubpages.com/art/how-to-draw-learn

How much is a pack of 8.5"x11" paper, a set of #2 pencils, and a pencil sharpener where you live? It can't be much more than $20 because that's all you need to draw.

And probably a box of those eraser tips because lord knows you need it.

Well I can tell that it's the Hulk, so you did it. You really did it user, you're an artist now, you've expressed an idea.

youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

How do you draw lines straight because I could never draw lines that straight

Use your arm and not your wrist
Gives you more control over your lines

Also, it helps to "pull" lines and "push" curves

use a ruler

Yes I'm probably responding to a bait thread, but here goes:

Your skills are, currently, very low. At this point it doesn't make any sense to blow money on expensive supplies. You can make do on copy paper and basic pencils, just make sure they're not too hard but rather on the soft side (HB or B something, not H).

What you need to do is practice. Practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. Basic anatomy, limbs, hands and feet, expressions, poses, over and over again. Lines, how to use the pencil, how to find the sure stroke and your own style (through practice). Light and mood - though that comes later, when you know what you're doing anatomy-wise.

The drawing course may be good, but I'd recommend looking at other stuff too; published comics for comparing the styles of different artists and how they do it, borrowing books on anatomy from the library, various tutorials, drawing from reference, and so forth.

Once again, OP's pic is at the absolute beginner stage so it'll take a long while, years, of rigorous practice to become proper good - but then again it takes years to become good in anything requiring skills.

So there's hope, but it depends on whether you apply yourself with patience or not. Good luck.

Ps. Practice more

>>protip: never use a goddamn eraser
Yeah this is shit advice. It's good to sometimes practice drawing without erasing, yes, but especially when starting out sometimes you just need to erase something.

I'd give another protip instead; look at your drawings through a mirror. If you work in photoshop, flip the image every now and then. You'll suddenly see it differently.

Just search some how to draw guides on the internet, how hard can it be.

So you wanna draw eh, user? Welcome to hell. Prepare for mountains of crumbled paper to build up behind your back, prepare for moments of wanting to quit before jumping right back at it again and again, prepare for the endless comparisons between you and artists who are better than you that YOU felt the need to make. Then, prepare to take a look at past pieces and realize that skill with the pencil is growing slowly but surely. Prepare to want to press onward and continue improving.
Art is some tough shit user, but if you keep at it, and I mean really keep at it like you want to get better, I promise you that within 5 years you'll see some motherfucking leaps and bounds.

Like everything else, you have to commit to it to be good. If you're taking a class to be good, dedicate yourself to it, or don't even start.

Quick batman i did last night. Any advice that could help me guys?

Pls tell me more

Focus on getting the basic lines of anatomy right first before getting into details. Like just the positioning, where are the eyes and nose and mouth and neck in this pose. You know those sketch lines you sometimes see in drawings, a round shape around which the head has been drawn, lines on where the center of the face line goes and where the eye line would be? That sort of thing.

You have to understand the core structure before you can start pinning pretty things on it

I started doodling and drawing in the 3rd grade.

For years I'd try and try to copy and trace other's art styles and make tons of simple bad choices like lining over mistakes instead of erasing. I basically didn't improve much until I made a bucket list of problems I've got when it comes to drawing.
I'm still learning how to
>Ink lines
>Feather
>Draw from different angles and positions

You have an advantage being an adult and accepting criticism and noting what you think makes your drawings look off. There's always hope if you're willing to look at a mistake and keep perfecting your work until you like it

You shouldn't think you're ever too old to improve.

I'm 26 and not too much better than you, but I'm trying to learn too. It's amazing, because I was thinking about how I wished I started when I was your age.

Learn how to rotate an image.

There is hope for everyone, art is a skill.

Just ask yourself, do you want to spend at least 6 years of constant struggle and pain to learn how to draw, drawing and painting daily, spending money on necessary supplies and after the first year, once you actually know how to use the tools, then applying yourself at a Figure Drawing Workshop, then after another year or so, going to a Figure Painting Workshop, both of which cost money? If so, then there is hope.

If not, then don't even bother. Anyone who is "talented" just started earlier/is more dedicated/enjoys it more and immerses themselves in it more than you do. Talent doesn't mean anything.

Sargent was a painter who rushed through things, he didn't like spending time and learned how to adapt a skill set to fit his personality so that he would be able to stop once he got bored.

His friend, Edwin Austin Abbey, was the opposite, and developed a skill-set that complemented his eye for detail, patience and tendency to overthink.

It doesn't matter what your sensibilities are, anyone can paint, anyone can draw, they just have to spend the time to learn.

10 hours in MS paint

Always find it stunning seeing people's old shit and then what they're capable of now. The change is often so drastic it's hard for me to believe it just came from practice practice practice. Yours is a good example, there are others online I've seen too

Personally I don't into drawing at all, not got much of a passion for it either so I'm fine with that, but I just couldn't see myself even in 4 years time producing top tier stuff by simply sticking with it.

Try using model sheets for reference it always helps, I get as many as I can expression's and turn arounds

Let's see...
Theory question: Do you know how the legs are connected to the body? When a person is standing how would you draw the two inner leglines? Would they touch at one point?

Drawing needs theoretical knowledge first. All skill won't help you if you cannot into anatomy.

You dont and accept that shits hard.

use a straightedge.

Oh crap I forgot about that. I forgot that faces need framework just as much as the entire body does. Thanks user! Also what character or object do you think I should draw to practice again?

Yeah, for the worse in the case of Sup Forums

>warning

I would try to do a bunch of really quick anatomy / pose sketches. Like only leave the clothing and even facial detailing to a very very crude level and just hone the proportions and dimensions and perspectives and whatnot of the body, how does it work. Personally I did some croquis classes at some point, you know, there's a model and you have 7 min, then 4, then 1 min, then 30 sec to draw the pose - it forces you to ignore the fucking hair or the eyelashes or the details and really just look at the big lines. If you can't get to a course like that, consider getting a bunch of various pose references, preferably photos to make sure the anatomy is realistic, and just try to figure out how the pose works, what connects where, how do the shortenings work (things that are further back are smaller, if a limb reaches towards / away from you it looks different than when it's straight to the side etc), which limb holds the weight and how does that affect things, how do shoulders and knees and hips and necks work, all that. Or do the same thing but just busts, upper chest shoulders, head - and pay attention to the face, like how do the eyes, nose, lips, chin behave if the head is turned that way with this or that expression.

Then of course you can also work on a more detailed drawing in the meanwhile, but at that beginner stage I'd just try to do a lot of really quick and unfinished pose / anatomy sketches, just to get a hang on how the body works.

It's an eternal subject most artists work on their whole lives, heh. I myself actually would need to do more anatomy practice, now that we talk about it.

How about me Sup Forums, any hope?

Thanks user! whetr did you finf those classes? What stuff do you usually draw? Also does it help that I've downloaded the book "figure drawing for all its worth" by Andrew Loomis?

You have a sense of proportions, go follow this user's advice: