Game of Plebs: Inverting Heroic Imagery

>youtu.be/yRYOkYquttQ?t=10m45s

Watch this video from 10:45, the scene where Jamie Lannister charges the Dragon.

Notice the inversion of the classically heroic image: a single man, white, on his white horse, charging against a fearsome dragon with lance in hand. A maiden stands nearby, in need of rescue. He stands for masculine heroism, defense of mankind against evil, the courage of an individual against all odds, against a terrifying and monstrous foe.

He's going to slay the dragon, and of course, in the process rescue a maiden.

Except in this inverted, 2017 version of the classic image, the heroic knight is the villain. There also is no maiden, or, at least, she's been transformed by becoming a witch who *rides* the dragon, and, by using its power, no longer "needs to be rescued". Note that this trope, the damsel in distress who needs to be saved from a monster, is a classic feminist criticism of the heroic arc (see creatures like Anita Sarkeesian or whatever her name is).

The maiden is now a sorcerer or a witch.

The classic villain, the sorcerer, the witch, the one who traffics in the monstrous and the obscene for personal power (reanimating her dead husband, killing humans with dragons) has likewise been inverted in a YAASSS KWEEN "heroic" figure.

Meanwhile, the crowd cheers as ordinary men stand firm in ranks against barbarians and monstrous dragons and are incinerated and decapitated. The crowd cheers as the Heroic Male figure, trying to slay the dragon and the witch, is defeated. One woman even says "ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!" as she sees that Jamie Lannister survives.

This is where we are as a society.

idk, I was rooting for Bronn and Jamie

And somehow the witch with a dragon isn't the villain

TLDR

don't go to college or university unless you're doing a tolerable degree or you might end up like the faggots at Burlington Bar

Yeah I think most people who arnt retards are are, ive been on Jaimes side since season 1. Classic disenfranchised male character led astray by sister and father but always had a goodness deep down underneath the selfishness and apathy, he's done some bad but more willing to do good these days

I'm gonna give them the benefit of doubt for now. A few scenes of Dorthraki raping a killing sympathetic villagers, dragons burning shit they're not supposed to and Dany being incompetent and taking her frustration out on her posse would make a wonderful turning point of the show that would mind-fuck the normies and I have a sliver of hope left in me that they'll use this opportunity.

Best Jamie was when he was with Brienne.

This is honestly a good insightful post. It's very tragic what western culture is coming to.

They won't.

The show is pozzed, just bury it

I mean, you can argue that's the natural predictable consequence of their invasion. Yet these people don't see that.

Reminds me of a real life phenomenon with clear negative consequences but through advanced brainwashing keeps getting shoved under the rug. Nobody acts before it's too late and the action made redundant.

RU crazy? How could you not be rooting for the screaming rapist arabs coming over the hill??

There are a billion novels where a guy gets a magic sword and saves the girl.

OP here, I'd guess that the plot introduces a tame version of these dilemmas which will be solved by Dany having a personal crisis, and getting advice from her advisors, giving her troops a stern talk, and executing one or two. The issue will likely be reframed as a symptom of masculinity rather than her own weak leadership and poor decision making.

This will totally resolve the issue, vindicate her and her army, and it won't be brought up again.

>jaime lannister
>the guy who tries to murder children to protect his incestuous relationship
>a hero

Damn right I was cheering for Dany. At least her heart's in the right place.

If Bran had gone and told people so Robert would find out, it would result in the deaths of several kids, themselves and would most likely ignite a civil war.

That isn't the point of the post... the point is that the series is a purposeful inversion of classic hero myths to not only recast the masculine, heroic figure into a villain, but also recast evil behavior as heroic.

Using monsters to kill people is evil... but now, it's heroic.

Trying to protect your family, and standing by them is heroic... but now, it's villainous.

Using an army of slaves and mercenaries to invade a (comparatively) free western country is horribly evil... but now, it above all things has been recast as romantic and heroic.

Rape and murder have been happening in Westeros since Season 1 but somehow when the dothraki do it, it's "wrong"?

Sup Forums even cheers for a rapist and murder: Euron. Fucking hypocrites.

So was Hitler's

>people would have believed the word of a 7 year old boy over that of the queen and a kingsguard

People were already suspecting something was off with the kids. It didn't take Ned long before he figured it out aswell. Ned knows his kids don't lie. If Bran had told him, Ned would've probably made his move to remove the kids from the line of succession making civil war a reality.

>TV show inverts cliche
>become afraid

lol whiteboys fragile as fuck

And? Many here think he was the good guy, me included.

And you think that justifies everything that the Lannisters have done?

Why didn't they just flee to Essos and live out their days in peace there instead of trying to seize power and have people assassinated etc...?

This is one of the reasons why I enjoy ASOIAF (the TV adaptation not as much) because it deliberately subverts those cliches.

In the book, we're told that Daenerys is supposed to be this great liberator despite the fact she has 3 uncontrollable Godzillas, a slave army, a horde of savages, and eventually, pirate scum. She's lead nothing but a trail of destruction ever since A Clash of Kings and we're supposed to be rooting for her?

She's a white cisgender Aryan's wetdream of a foreign queen. She commands brown-skinned people to do her bidding and they do so willingly is what makes this even more cringe-worthy. And no surprise white women in the West cheer for Daenerys because she's their Mary Sue self-insert.

Seriously, compared to Jon Snow and other characters, she has everything handed to her.

Speaking as someone whose liberal, I really fucking hate what we've become. Everything has to be offensive to people and now we all bitch and moan.

Jamies not a villain at all tho.

Hitler was a more nuanced character than Cersei I'll give you that.

Hitler did have some redeeming qualities: he genuinely cared about the welbeing of the German people. Cersei couldn't give a fuck.

Hitler was kind and gentle with animals. Cersei is psychopath.

powerful

Just because he's not as bad as Cersei or Joffrey or Ramsay doesn't mean he's a good guy.

Why is that dragon having airforce insignia on his wings?

this is discussion of a Sup Forums show

While the dragon is a symbol of evil in Western culture, in Eastern culture it''s a symbol of great power. Dany came from the east with her dragons and is coming to the west.

It's really confusing how Asian and Whites have totally different mythology regarding the dragon. In Asia it's great creative power and potential and strength, while in Western it's evil, guarding a treasure, blocking something from happenig, etc.

Asians also idolize the Dragon for being ferocious in power and holds back because it KNOWS how destructive it can be. It all boils down to Asiatic stoicism and how you should never complain or react because you have to be mindful of the repercussions. Basically, when the dragon loses its shit in Asian mythos, they know they're FUBARed.

>While the dragon is a symbol of evil in Western culture
depends on the Culture
The Welsh don't see the dragon as evil and neither did many cultures in Europe viewed the dragon as a symbol of power.|

Christian symbolism probably has something to do with his.

Reptiles and serpents have always been symbols of evil for christfags.

>give them fair warning, they fought well at high garden.
He has been the good guy in a bad situation since his time with Brienne

He's choosing to follow Cersei's orders even though he knows full well what an evil bitch she is.

>but he's in love

Not an excuse. Just because you're in love with someone doesn't mean you blindly obey them even when they're commiting heinous acts.

>idk, I was rooting for Bronn and Jamie

Any sane man was...

>drowns in water
>water is literally Fire and Ice combined

Bro-Fucking-Vo.

>TV Show

For a pleb it's just a TV-show. For a a man with a deeper understanding of human societies, it's far more than that.

Like any artistic creation with wide cultural impact, it's a vehicle of influence of the mind of millions.

what's wrong is right, and what's right is wrong. we've arrived at that time. the fall is getting faster.

>For a a man with a deeper understanding of human societies

Wow, my fedora just hit the ceiling.

doesn't seem that way anymore

>as I ripen into adulthood
Jesus Christ. This is what I imaging the average Sup Forumstard looks like

Chineseanon here, the "dragon" in chinese mythology is something totally different; comparing it to a western dragon is just an oversimplification at best or a mistranslation at worst.

Your problem is that you think you are way smarter than you actually are.

the same crowd cheered when the blonde queen killed brown people in essos for 6 entire seasons
but now some whites get toasted as well and Sup Forums erupts

Actually Euron hasn't raped anyone(yet).

That would indeed be a very convenient way for them to resolve this and bring back the status quo without causing mass-triggering, however the reasons why I still have hope are as follows:

Dany's triumph would be contrary to the message that I suspect the fat man of intending to send with the whole series i.e. that there are more important things than which asshole noble sits on the throne and it's an incredibly stupid thing to kill each other over.

The show likely intends to end in one grand finale, having Dany dispatch the Lannisters and then go deal with the White Walkers would be anti-climactic.

There were way too many scenes in the show intended to make the Lannisters more likable since Ned's death and the Red Wedding (like the recent singer guy cameo for instance) and I bet you that there are even plenty of alcoholic suburban moms low-key rooting for Cersei, so we're not entirely in the good guys/bad guys territory yet.

Say what you want about the writers, but they proved many times that they aren't afraid to cause outrage. Also you can call them hacks for not being true to the books and making a few missteps, but if I wrote the most-talked about TV show in history, I would respect my work enough to not take the easy way out of controversy and sacrifice a great conflict of perspective that would be talked about for years to come for my personal agenda.

For those reasons I think what will happen is this (screencap this shit):
>Tyrion asks Dany what will happen to his captured brother and friend and also why she burned all the food when they could easily just take it and not have people starve
>She lashed out at him (upset over her hurt dragon), questions his loyalty again and threatens to execute Bronn pushing him over the edge
>Tyrions frees them
>Dorthraki start chimping out
>Dany flips her shit on her advisors
>Cersei unleashes some shenanigans bought with Iron Bank money on her making her situation even worse.

(part 1/2)

No that I got your attention.

Am I wrong, does it not influence the minds of millions of impressionable young men and women?

here again...

to best describe it, I'd say that the chinese "dragon" is really more like a something like a sphinx... body of a fish or a serpent, head of a lion*, legs and wings of a bird.

They symbolize water, or more especially bodies of water, and the good harvest that comes with the right water "energy". So you want to appease them. They aren't literally physically destructive in the same way a western dragon is. Instead the destruction they cause will be through droughts, floods, and the like.

*if you don't believe me, see the following image in my next post:

Okay, so what would you have Jamie do?
What would make him a true good guy?

pic related, a chinese lion head

Who wouldn't support Jaime/Bronn brothership over "it's my turn, bend the knee" Dany?

>Classic disenfranchised male character led astray by sister and father but always had a goodness deep down underneath the selfishness and apathy, he's done some bad but more willing to do good these days

This. Jaime is literally me in so many ways it's ridiculous. Never fucked my sis though.

Telling Cersei to fuck off would be a good start.

I want to like Jaime, I really do, but he's such a cuck for Cersei.

Maybe when she finally dies we'll see his character redeem himself. Although the way things are going, it's quite possible that he'll die first.

Not really, she was killing brown rich people for the browner slave people, it was more of a class thing than a racial thing and I personally was agianst Daenerys because people who, along with their recent ancestors, were slaves their whole life will have no idea what to do with freedom and will just cause shit which is pretty much what happened, especially in the books.

Of course it does.
You state something obvious then draw stupid conclusions from it. When people reject your stupid conclusions you act like it is the obvious thing they disagree with.

And I must tell you that the way you express yourself is quite embarrassing and awkward. You lack social skills, and yes, that is a bad thing.

Normal people.

That's the realistic outcome, but the show won't show that, the show won't even address it. Making it seem nothing is happening.

They want Dany to look good.

not an argument
Does mass media not have a cultural impact and is the art produced by a society not a reflection of that society?

this is interesting, thanks

>A few scenes of Dorthraki raping a killing sympathetic villagers, dragons burning shit they're not supposed to and Dany being incompetent and taking her frustration out on her posse

Will NEVER happen. They've made it clear from S01, even before the show went SJW or that even existed, that Dany's Khalisar has amended its rapey ways and she won't tolerate that anymore.

(part 2/2)

>After a heart-to-heart talk with either Missandei, Davos or both she realizes that she no longer has the forces to take King's Landing and that staying in the South causes the local populace too much suffering and decides to concede the Iron Throne for now head North to fight the White Walkers, that is her moment of "pride vs survival".
>Dorthraki die like flies in the cold like some user already mentioned
>Dragons are to some degree fucked up from what the Cersei/Qyburn tricks did to them
>Few Unsullied still alive
>Desperate battle at the wall
>Jamie kills Cersei over some shit involving Euron and/or Tyrion then offs himself
>Wall falls but Night King is defeated thanks to some Bran voodoo shit and dragons who all die in the fight signifying a beginning of a new era were magic, dragon, elves, zombies etc. no longer exist
>Dany and Jon die as well (when ice meets fire, both perish)
>Tyrion left on the Iron Throne.

That's in the books, in the show its only a shit character

Got dragons are literally nothing like the Asian dragons.

Asian dragons were wise and shit, these ones are feral, they are western dragons

I love how plebbiters believe they are owed answers to their questions. Makes them all the easier to burn.

i think it has more to do with what's best for his family and house more than it does cersei. right now she has the power, so he's going along with it. he knows loving his his sister is a piece of shit, but like he said to marcella, "we don't choose whom we love." i still believe, along with many others, that he'll be the one to kill her dumb ass.

So Jamie abandoning his family and lover, the person he's been together with for his whole life would make him the good guy?
Who should Jamie fight for them?

he leaves her in the season finalewhen she refuses to help fight the white walkers and instead wants the night king to kill all her enemies so she can face him herself

His whole family is gone except for that one evil bitch.

>They want Dany to look good
anyone with a fraction of common sense can see they're failing miserably at that

>So Jamie abandoning his family and lover, the person he's been together with for his whole life would make him the good guy?
Yeah, that's what Tyrion did. His family only consists of Cersei at this point and she's an evil bitch.

Being a good person doesn't mean blindly following someone just because you share a blood tie with them.

Pretty sure he introduced his fat pink mast to the sneks offscreen

fucking Christ, people here are easily baited.

Good if true.

I can foresee Jaime becoming one of my favourite characters once freed from Cersei's grasp.

If they have video games and movies can make you sexist/racist. So Sarkeesian was right.
Have we come full circle?Can these stupid internet culture wars end yet?

>thousands of reaction videos on youtube
>Sup Forums choose one (1) of them and posts the link dozens of time every day
>"this reaction video is western civilization!"

hes the best character in the books

he still has tons of cousins, extended family, and Tyrion. realize to, in their society the family name covers much more than just blood relatives. it encompasses the lands, commerce, commoners, armies, etc. they hold.

wonder who could be behind this turn in western culture?

He gave all that up when he took the white cape, dude.

honestly the way things are going with Dany, i can see Tyrion eventually returning to his family

Yes user, every female character that is more than a glorified cock socket for someone is actually a worldwide jewish conspiracy to kill white people.

YASS QUEEN slay, etc etc

he's not in the kingsguard anymore, thanks to cersei. he's head of the lannister army now, and heir to the house name like his father wanted.

Lolno.

Cersei would have him tortured to death immediately. Even Jaime would probably kill him at this point.

What what!! Your telling me D&D are capable of kino of this level?

There's the roastie! Found it!!!

The preview for the next episode is literally just foreshadowing of Danny going crazy and Jon stopping her.

yasss queeen!
slaaaayyyyy!

the way she incinerated those food wagons and those ordinary men with her giant monster was so #strong and so #brave!

>someone used available resources to kill enemies during war times

hold the fucking presses

Oh you mean that food that those "ordinary men" had just stolen after slaughtering the Tyrells?

using dragons/monsters to gain power is a faustian compact.

That's the whole point of this thread -- the dragon in mythology is a symbol of evil, as is the use of witchcraft to gain power. Instead, those things are celebrated.

doubtful since they hated their father as much as he did, and Jaime knows now that he didn't kill Joffrey, meaning that Cersei will soon. she may be a psychotic idiot, but even she can recognize what a valuable asset he would be.

It's not gonna happen because this arc of Dany is going to end with her realising all her failings and mistakes.
D&D aren't complete fuck ups all gung-ho on this liberal nonsense.

All this. Stop repeating this nonsense with your Sup Forums mentality.

the Dothraki are gud bois who dindu nuffn, shut the fuck up cumskin

of course Jon will be the one to reign her in, they gotta knock boots auntie/nephew style by the end of the season. ice and fire and all that

Yup, the very food and resources that she herself said they needed earlier in the episode.

there are many dragon mythologies in the world. the interpretations you're referring to are just a handful. your focus is too narrow.

>there are many dragon mythologies in the world. the interpretations you're referring to are just a handful. your focus is too narrow.

see