Early Reviews for Luke Cage: Another Hit for Marvel and Netflix

screenrant.com/luke-cage-netflix-reviews/

>According to critics, this show is groundbreaking in every way, from its much-needed representations of race to its reverent use of sound. Each review praises the show’s ability to balance violence with levity, and notes that the show is considerably less gritty than its counterparts, in a good way. Introducing Harlem as a new setting adds a much-needed fresh environment to the MCU TV canon, and apparently it’s been done impeccably. Harlem is iconic in its own right, yet introducing Cage’s story in the upper Manhattan neighborhood amplifies his story, rather than overshadowing it.

Kek not sure why the first thread was deleted...

Other urls found in this thread:

screenrant.com/iron-fist-tv-show-lei-kung/
nytimes.com/2012/07/30/us/obamas-mother-had-african-forebear-study-suggests.html?_r=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Kek not sure why the first thread was deleted...

Fan wars

>much-needed representations of race
Why much-needed?

Sweet Hannukah!

>To the anons last thread who kept complaining that reviewers were bringing up race:
It was around 2014 when Coker was doing a round of touch-ups on the screenplay for Straight Outta Compton, that Marvel started looking for a showrunner for Luke Cage. From the beginning, says Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel’s television division, the company was looking for someone who could not only entertain but also address issues of race: “What is going on in this country for blacks and whites, and how can we tell that story through the eyes of a superhero?”

>Still, this was Marvel’s first attempt to create a series or film with a black protagonist at its center, a responsibility that Loeb took very seriously. “If we can get one person to watch the show and to think differently about what it is to be a hero in the present day, and what it is to be a black hero, then that’s a victory,” he says.

>At his first meeting with Marvel, Coker brought a photograph of his grandfather, a Tuskegee Airman who had been awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. “I talked about him being from Harlem,” Coker says. “Walking up the boulevards, you’d see Duke Ellington and Chick Webb and Lionel Hampton, just walking around. You saw superheroes every day.” Initially, Coker saw Luke Cage exploring a similar dynamic, the pressures of a known superhero operating in the real world, but Marvel wanted Cage to grow into his role as a superhero, not to start out as one. Coker went back to work and developed a new story about an unfairly arrested prison escapee living anonymously in Harlem—until he finds himself unable to resist the responsibility to help his community that his superpowers impose on him. He packed his story with colorful characters and midseason plot twists. And he suggested a soundscape that leaned heavily on early ’90s hip hop.

The showrunners and producers specifically wanted to look at race and its relation to crime, culture, etc.

Cause black people are the best ever

Because the world is a diverse place and it only makes sense to represent the world if you're telling stories about said world.

>Why much-needed?

Because there are no Minorities or women in the MCU

and so it begins...

This is true. None at all.

It's like you forgot where you are or something.

>From the beginning, says Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel’s television division, the company was looking for someone who could not only entertain but also address issues of race: “What is going on in this country for blacks and whites, and how can we tell that story through the eyes of a superhero?”
>>Still, this was Marvel’s first attempt to create a series or film with a black protagonist at its center, a responsibility that Loeb took very seriously. “If we can get one person to watch the show and to think differently about what it is to be a hero in the present day, and what it is to be a black hero, then that’s a victory,” he says.

How many of those MCU shows or movies have race as an important part of their stories? Why is it bad to choose to have a show that does?

Sweet
I'm fucking hyped

Some people do not give a shit if race is at the forefront of a series. Chill.

Well, since both villains are black (Cottonmouth and Diamondback) do they show us how black people are more prone to commit crimes in USA?
Is that what they mean there?

and it's like you forgot what year it is

Wait a minute; Luke Cage is black?

I always thought his skin got fucked up as a result of the experiment which gave him his powers.
It was so fucked up that no one could tell the difference from normal black people.

So, the skin colour was retconned to give him a cool backstory and a community where he fits in.

He's not really black. Can't be.

Sup Forums ladies and gentlemen and otherkin

What year is it?

Goddammit we're not gonna be able to talk about this show without racewar bullshit are we?

Is it going to be another "guys beats up criminals" show? I'm watching Daredevil right now, and I tell you it's kinda boring.

Jessica Jones might be 7 episodes too long, but it actually did shit about superpowers, not thugs beating thugs.

Of course not.

The current one?

That's been apparent since it was annonced

There's a difference between not giving a shit if it is a big part of things and complaining about it when it is. Shit like
and
are the latter

Shut the fuck up tumblr scum

The current year, degenerate

>people prtend to not see why something is important
>explain why something might be important
>"woah chill out man I don't care"

>quit spreading these lies about diversity
It honestly makes since given that many people on this board don't leave the house much.

aye

Well I mean don't get too triggered about it. You might hurt yourself.

It's inevitable. The character is meant to be a semi-stereotypical good black man, who represents most black men and is different from a minority of black men who kick puppies and steal ice cream.

Yeah, whatever. First episodes are good, last episodes are shit. I've watched DD and JJ and already know, that Netflix can't make show captivating for more than 5 episodes. I'm skipping this until they cut the number of eps down to 10.

Fuck off back to Sup Forums or the Fox News comment section you alt-right NEET

The fact that it's getting unanimous great reviews fills me excitement.

Unfortunately.

>"How many of those MCU shows or movies have race as an important part of their stories? Why is it bad to choose to have a show that does?"
>This is being "triggered"

kek

Why wouldn't it? It's a black male lead series in Marvel.

BBC

You sound pretty triggered

Oh and a third one, I just found out they have also Black Mariah, well, that's gonna be fun.

Seriously. As much as I loved DD S2 the first reviews were a little mixed and so was the consensus overall once it came out. So I'm cautiously pretty hyped. Fingers crossed Iron Fist doesn't shit the bed...

Once again marvel creates controversy amongs Sup Forums, I cant wait for the Flash to be back.

He needs friends

Daredevil first season were good, beginning to end.
Jessica Jones started off ok, got better in the end.
Daredevil second season ended kind badly indeed though.
That's what I think.

fucking alt-right shitters taking a shit in another perfectly normal thread

fuck my life

>I cant wait for the Flash to be back.
Dont you mean black?

pepe is a symbol of the alt right user...

I wonder if Jessica feels it inside her. Her nethers must be in quite a state after all her adventures.
I mean, if I was the Purple Man, and if I was an evil bastard, I'd probably have shoved a baseball bat inside her once or twice when she acts up and makes that bitch face.

You dont get to bring friends

Whatever, white wally is back in the comics.

Guess I'll post this here. In other news Finn Jones has read "The Living Weapon".

screenrant.com/iron-fist-tv-show-lei-kung/

Also, a couple of months ago Lewis Tan posted about being "Really excited to play a badass character on Iron Fist" His character is listed as "Zhou Cheng" for eight episodes. I think it's a casting code name. My guess... Shang-Chi.

I think only principle casting gets an embroidered hat, so he has to be someone pretty significant.

Does Luke have to deal with a malfunctioning soda machine at any point?

Ice cream's good man.

>Kek not sure why the first thread was deleted...
not Sup Forums

Unbreakable skin is really a lousy power. Sure, you might be unstabbable and unshootable, but just with it you'll go down with blunt trauma just as easy.

You know how less awful Sup Forums would be without live action, but we need a balance without the Sup Forums stuff cartoons would take their place.

And I only come here for the comics

Because when areas that are largely mixed show up as only white, it feels wrong. Almost as wrong as Ghost In The Shell having two black guys, and only two Asians with the youngest guy on the team looking older than the oldest.

>Carl Lucas changed his name to Luke Cage
>this inspired Nicolas Cage to change his name from Nicolas Coppola.

really makes u think

Chocolate or vanilla?
Trick question.

There's also the super strength, you know.

Did you watch JJ? That literally happened.

>Also, a couple of months ago Lewis Tan posted about being "Really excited to play a badass character on Iron Fist" His character is listed as "Zhou Cheng" for eight episodes. I think it's a casting code name. My guess... Shang-Chi.
Woo!

Did you really think Sup Forums was going to let us have a show with a black protagonist without shitposting as much as humanly possible?

Why don't they have any lives?

Uh, excuse me, all lives matter.

Probably because Marvel doesn't have any african-american superheroes in starring roles? War Machine and Falcon are just sidekicks and T'Challa is African, not African-American.

Technically, every american is african-american, if you go back far enough.
There's absolutely no reason to be racist if we're rational.

The exception is, of course, Eskimos.
Stupid skimos and their fat girls who think they're too cute and turn you down when you try to rub your dick on their nose. They're scum.

>JJ being good at all

Kek

What is Luke Cage's power?

Being so damn sexy...?

This is the caption that when with this picture.

>If you don't know, you will soon

Hmm, what could he have meant by this?

He very handsome. Question is Shang a Hapa? I thought he was full.

*went
*is

We'll have about three days right after it comes out. Like with Jessica Jones.

>Still, this was Marvel’s first attempt to create a series or film with a black protagonist at its center,

Huh?

are his eyes closed beneath those shades?

Open. That photo was taken back when he actually gave a shit.

Phasers set to excited.

We didn't even have three days.

When people say "African-American," they generally mean the descents of slaves. Like, I'm from Morocco, but I'm not African-American, I'm Morrocan-American.

Hell, I wouldn't actually call Barack Obama an African-American for that very reason. His mom is white and his dad is Kenyan. He's Kenyan-American, not African-American.

I didn't know Blade was a part of the MCU

>Kenya is in Africa
>but Kenya is not Africa

His mom is actually descended from African slaves.

No it's true.

I swear I'm not joking.

nytimes.com/2012/07/30/us/obamas-mother-had-african-forebear-study-suggests.html?_r=0

okay lets stop talking about Sup Forums right BIX NOOD now.

Does Turk show up? He needs to be bullied some more

The percentage of black heroes in Marvel is already higher than the percentage of black people in the US. They're over-represented.

Other user is saying "African-American" is (in that user's opinion) a catch-all for blacks who don't know where their ancestors are from due to slavery.

If you know what country your ancestors came from, just call yourself that.

So it's not that Kenya is in Africa but isn't, it's that if you know your ancestors came from Kenya, call yourself Kenyan-American not African-American.

That's just bullshit semantics though. Yes, he's Kenyan American but falls under the label of African American as well. I'm Puerto Rican but I am also considered/consider myself Hispanic American. Asian Americans do the same thing. Why are you being so picky/why do you give so many fucks what minorities label themselves? Especially if you're white?

HYPED
Y
P
E
D

Which is really all you need to know about race in the US, honestly.

More importantly, while Obama may not have been more immediately apparent to have descended from African slaves, one can't imagine that had much effect on the way he was actually treated in America growing up. He looks black, so he is black, and since when he opens his mouth he obvious speaks like a US raised English speaker, no one's going to think he was foreign either, if that possibility ever occurred to them.

Being black in the US has a lot more history with the country, going back further and being intrinsically tied to it's civil war. There's a very fundamental distinction between African Americans and every other non-white American. Consider this, and mentioned above: Obama may be visibly black from his father's Kenyan heritage, but you can sure as shit bet no one who looked at him ever thought his ancestry was so recently arrived from Africa. It's just not how people consider race in the US. You're Asian or Hispanic? It's a lot more likely someone's going to go "wow, you're English is so good." Due to the fundamental way African slavery is tied into US history, anyone who looks black is automatically considered just as likely to be a natural US citizen as any white person they run into.

That said, I think the other user is being too anal. I've never seen the distinction made myself, unless the person/family was not only recently immigrated, but still had a distinct connection to their country of origin. Obama not only grew up in the US with a US born and raised mother and her family, but his father was never a big part of his life. I doubt Obama makes much of a distinction himself.

Incidentally, a quick check of wiki page showed there's a ton of citations for his birth location and time, an amusing reminder that Obama is actually not a great example of people assuming anyone who's black in the US was born there. Still, the overall point remains.

Jessica Jones also got good reviews and I hated that.

I hope it's good though.
But Marvels Netflix stuff has been not great so far.

>Why are you being so picky/why do you give so many fucks what minorities label themselves? Especially if you're white?

I liked my property to be correctly labeled.

This show has a chance of succeding thanks to the ''all episodes at once'' format that Netflix has.

While if this shit were a regular t.v show it would get lower and lower ratings by the episode

We really have no idea how well Netflix shows do, because they literally never tell us anything beyond "it's great."

They must be doing well enough, because even the worst on going ones keeping getting made/continued, so something about how they allocate funds and organize everything must be working to keep mediocre shows going more than on TV.

Is Iron Fist in it? I'm asking because tumblr seems to think it's a "for blacks only" show

Oh dear. People are already saying Iron Fist is going to take a steep curve downwards from Luke Cage. He's rumoured to appear in the 13th episode.

Charlie Cox says he's looking forward to Daredevil's and Iron Fist's relationship, which is odd, because they're more like acquaintances. He's not part of the H4H click.

>You just KNOW people are gotta ship Danny with Matt more than anyone else.

>90% of shows are 90% white
>wild 90% black show appears
>Sup Forums appears

How you think white supremacy has endured for so long unless these retarded racists get triggered by the slightest possible chip in their tower

I thought Hulk fucked up Harlem in MCU

Wonder he is pissy about that

... Okay. But again, who gives a shit? You're saying this stuff as if identifying who has or has not descended from slaves is incredibly important in the US to the point that some people think people of more recent African descent should identify themselves as such. But it doesn't fucking matter. Thats my point. People shouldn't label themselves for the sake of proof like this faggot:.