Tom King Talks Batman, the Monster Men, & "I Am Suicide"

>Den of Geek: A pretty big distinction between the start of your Batman run and past runs is that you’ve introduced two new heroes instead of a new villain. Why was it important to bring Gotham and Gotham Girl into the fold right at the beginning of your story?

>Tom King: That's a really good observation! I went back and did a lot of reading of first issues of Batman. It seemed like the general pattern was to introduce a villain as your huge contribution to the Bat universe. I didn't want to do that, so I went the opposite way and I introduced a hero.
>I think the easy thing would've been to do a hero who's secretly a villain, but I wanted to do a hero who actually inspired Batman and who could continue to inspire him. I'm sort of exploring what makes Batman the hero Gotham deserves. Why don't they have a Superman? Why don't they have a Green Lantern? I wanted to introduce a character as good and as powerful as them into Gotham.

>Do you ever see a day when Batman could leave the protection of Gotham City to another hero?

>I can see that day. But I think a better way to put it is I think Batman sees that day. I think Batman thinks that his vow is attainable from inside his psyche. He's like, "I will fix Gotham. Whether I have to do it or someone else has to do it, it's going to get done." But from the outside, from observing this character for 75 years, we can see that it's a quixotic quest and he'll never actually accomplish that. But I don't think Batman believes that.

Other urls found in this thread:

denofgeek.com/us/books-comics/batman/258278/tom-king-talks-batman-the-monster-men-i-am-suicide
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>By the end of the first arc, Gotham Girl is pretty lost and Batman is trying to take her under his wing, which is a common theme when you look at past sidekicks like Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, etc. (Duke Thomas seems pretty well put together by comparison, actually.) So do you see Gotham Girl as an analog for this era’s new Robin?

>I don't think so. I mean, when I think of a Robin, I think of someone without powers. Gotham Girl has a significant power set. But unfortunately, she does sort of enter that parallel orphan world of all these Robins, and her parents were killed, and her brother got killed...So she has that pain that all Robins have that I think Batman helps heal and he heals for the city, which is sort of part of the answer to what makes him a great character.
>But I didn't set out to write another Robin story. I wanted to create a unique dynamic, something a little different, but maybe I settled into that Robin story. Maybe that naturally brings you back, like you try to escape that orbit but you're pulled back into it. I don't know.

>You’ve also reintroduced some pretty old DC villains, such as Hugo Strange, Psycho-Pirate, and the Monster Men. What do you love so much about these baddies?

>I love different things about each of them. Hugo Strange was a way to give a shout out to the original Batman #1 from Bob Kane and Bill Finger. Since I was doing a new Batman #1, I decided to take a villain from that issue and put him in my issue and I even used some of the original lines. I loved that idea.
>Psycho-Pirate was a revelation to me as a child. I read Crisis on Infinite Earths, which was about this huge, Earth-shaking apocalyptic villain called the Anti-Monitor, who could do anything he wanted. But the weapon the Anti-Monitor used to accomplish his tasks was this weeny little guy with a mask. How utterly amazing! As a kid, I was like, "What? This little villain?" And that always fascinated me. When I had a chance to put in a big bad, I went with Psycho-Pirate.
>The Monster Men actually came from Scott Snyder, Steve Orlando, James Tynion IV, and I sitting around a table. Sometimes we play games. One of the games we play is "What would be an amazing Batman image?" I think James and Mark [Doyle, Batman group editor] were like, "Picture a silhouette of Batman standing on a roof and a kaiju like Godzilla was walking by. What would Batman do?" And I was already using Hugo Strange and we had this idea to have huge monsters. Hugo Strange's Monster Men just clicked together.

>And the Monster Men have gone through a kaiju redesign. Was that in place from the start?

>Yeah, absolutely. In fact, it really comes from the imagination of Steve Orlando. I'd like to take credit for it because it's so cool, but he took the idea of Monster Men and ran with it and created these monsters, each of which has unique characteristics and is uniquely disgusting. The Monster Men crossover is so awesome.

>my OC inspired Batman

well, glad I am not reading this mess of a comic then

>What can fans expect from the Night of the Monster Men crossover?

>You know, James is doing this huge story over at Detective Comics, which is probably my favorite back of [Rebirth]. Tim Seeley is doing my second favorite book, which is this huge story about Nightwing. Why are these all separate? All of these people know each other.
>This is our first chance to say, "Look, we're all living in the same universe. We're all playing in the same sandbox. And all of these stories are going to merge." And when they merge, it's going to be chaos and sparks are going to fly. It's our chance to show that each of our series impacts the other. I like that.
>It's also a chance to have Batman fight something he normally doesn't fight, which is the whole point of writing Batman. People expect Batman to punch a robber in the face. I don't think they expect him to a punch a 100-foot amoeba in the face, but that's what Batman does.

>That's a wonderful image to think about.

>Thanks!

>Now that you've reinvented Hugo Strange's early appearances with the Monster Men, are there other early Batman villains you’d like to use? Maybe the Monk?

>Yes! I'm doing some deep diving for all this stuff. You'll see in issue #6 that Kite Man makes an appearance. I guarrantee it's the best Kite Man you've ever seen. Ivan Reis is a brilliant artist. I really liked what I wrote, but when I saw Ivan Reis' art, I was like, "I really want a Kite Man toy!" And Colonel Blimp appears. I have some deep cuts in #6.
>As we advance past Night of the Monster Men, you're going to see Tweedledee and Tweedledum are in #9. Condiment King is in #9...

>Anything else you can say about your next Batman story?

>I'm a huge [John] Ostrander Suicide Squad fan. When I first signed on, when Geoff Johns first tried to convince me to do Batman, he was like, "What can we do to convince you?" My one ask was "I've always wanted to tell a Suicide Squad story. Can we do Batman and the Suicide Squad?" And he was like, "Yes, let's do that." Before I had any idea what my Batman was going to be, I wanted to tell this part. I just want to tell something that's as good as what I think is the greatest superhero comic of all-time.
>The story is called "I Am Suicide" because this is mission impossible. This is a mission Batman can't win, and he knows it going in. That's what makes this fun.
>The real big thing is that Mikel Janin is coming to the Batman universe, and the pages are going to blow everyone's mind. Everyone in the world is going to be buying Mikel Janin Batman statues and toys. The guy is setting a new standard.

>Does this mean we're going to see shirtless Bruce again?

>If Mikel and I are together, shirts will be removed!

denofgeek.com/us/books-comics/batman/258278/tom-king-talks-batman-the-monster-men-i-am-suicide

Damn Geoff really was everywhere.

>I guarrantee it's the best Kite Man you've ever seen.

He definetly was

Yeah, gonna have to agree with King on this one. GG is pretty different from the Robins, mostly in that -- besides general heroic shit and thinking more deeply -- Batman doesn't really have anything to teach her.

That is, of course, assuming she keeps her powers, which are killing her in the first place.

>If Mikel and I are together, shirts will be removed!
Amazing

>It seemed like the general pattern was to introduce a villain as your huge contribution to the Bat universe. I didn't want to do that, so I went the opposite way and I introduced a hero.

Really? Because that's exactly what Snyder's been trying to do.

Why does King keep sucking Janin's cock? The guy's art really doesn't look great at all. Between that and calling Snyder's Batman run the GOAT I really can't take anything he says seriously.

Imagine being Finch and being the only one not getting any praise

Snyder started by introducing James Gordon Jr. as a villain. Or if you're starting with the New 52 run, he started by adding the Court of Owls/the Talons. He added Duke and Harper later, and they weren't the focus of the story arc anyway.

Same reason he always praises Snyder: He's a professional, and he's not going to shit all over his coworkers. Especially in Janín's case since the dude helped him out on his first big book.

I think he means characters that are already heroes with their name, skills etc. without needing Batman

Harper was introduced in Court of Owls

>what is professionalism

If Finch put himself out there as a public persona they'd probably talk about him more. He barely shows up in interviews lately and he deleted his twitter a while back. Makes me wish I'd talked to him at the last con I was at, see what he's like in person.

he and Snyder are actually close friends

>Condiment King is in #9...
wew

So he's either lying through his teeth in order to protect his friends' egos or he actually believes the shit that comes out of his mouth. Either way, not a good look at all.

Also why does he keep name-dropping and hyping up these silly villains in his interviews and then give them 1 or 2 out of place pages in his book? It reeks of low-effort fanservice that he feels he needs to include in order to placate the retards.

>that CK design

Hmm...

>waaah king doesn't like the same thing i like ;_;

because most of those villains are obscure for a reason

they suck

The Batman/Nightwing beefcake war begins again!

This is Golden age tier, I love it.

Condiment King was first

>The Monster Men actually came from Scott Snyder, Steve Orlando, James Tynion IV, and I sitting around a table. Sometimes we play games. One of the games we play is "What would be an amazing Batman image?" I think James and Mark [Doyle, Batman group editor] were like, "Picture a silhouette of Batman standing on a roof and a kaiju like Godzilla was walking by. What would Batman do?" And I was already using Hugo Strange and we had this idea to have huge monsters. Hugo Strange's Monster Men just clicked together.

Didn't that just happen at the end of Snyder's run?

Meant for

He praises the hell out of every artist he works with.

>wah I hate King because he isn't out shitting on these people that I don't like