Thoughts?

thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cN3yrJP24-I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

kino

dumb, didn't even show the Americans saving everyone

One of the best cinema experiences of recent times.
Every usual Nolan flaw is practically non-existant here (no constant exposition, no overwritten dialogue, no too complex storyline, no poor close quarter choreography), seems like he finally listened to all of his critiques and provided undeniable absolute kino.

It's overrated but it's a good movie. Not even in my top 5 nolan films honestly

good

shit

kys

Twink kino.

the sound was good.

Still the best movie in the last 3 years.

A useless movie.

It's because he wrote it himself, and specifically with very little dialogue. The only thing in Dunkirk is the storytelling, camera work, and the human condition. Cillian's character is the realest and most emotional Nolan's ever had, despite his previous attempts with Leo and MURPH.

>useless

Umm...no sweetie.

The only movie that made IMAX worth it.

Christopher Nolan's best work yet.
It's one of those movies with ultimate rewatchability that can tell you new stories after each replay.

this t b h

Not a single cigarette was smoked

2/10

How was Cillian's character 'the realest and most emotional'? He showed up, acted like a spazz and as emotionally damaged as he could, killed the kid, and just looked relieved when he heard the lie from rylance's character's son. Unless you're talking about the whole scene where rylance and his son silently communicate while telling cillian the lie, and that was decent, but it wasn't earthshattering (it was admittedly one of Nolan's best emotional bits to date, but that's more because he doesn't know how to do one).

Otherwise agree

I've literally forgotten everything about this movie. It leaves no impact.

dunkino

Nolan's return to form

This to be honest

Right? They didn't even stop the film to tell us that the Nazis were killing all the Jews and that's bad.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY MAINLAND YOU FILTHY FUCKING BRIT AND FROG NORMIES REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

what would Sup Forums do if they found a frog on their trolley?

hug him and say "thank you based froggo for saving all those countless brits from drowning multiple times, you're a true lad"

youtube.com/watch?v=cN3yrJP24-I

great simply because it didn't mindlessly diversify the cast.

Wow, Nice Post! :D

>mfw im going to dunkirk on a first date with a girl

You should hold her hand to the gay sex orgy in the boat.

Absolute masterpiece. Definitely going to see it again.

Don't do that, if anything Dunkirk is a dad-son film, not a date film.
Also going to the cinema on the first date is also retarded, you fucked up user.

>going to cinema on first date is retarded
I never got this meme

Bugs...

It's a first date you autist, you barely even know each other and you choose to sit in the dark silently for 2 hours right by each other.
Go to some whatever faggy coffee place, a bar, a walk in a park, anything where you can actualy talk and interact with the girl, not in a fucking cinema.

Also Dunkirk is great and I don't won't you to miss a single frame because of some dumb bitch touching your knee and shit.

so you are saying technically the dogfights were fine visually, however you think that the sequences were too long and affected the chronology, leaving you emotionally disconnected? because i disagree, i think the sequences in the air perfectly showed the contrast between the land and the air, the silence in the sky between the chaos of the beach was a effective contrast, they were tense in different calibers, one more so than the other

t. American

Uhh... Bugs you need to put down the carrots...

its also extremely difficut to depict the development in time when altering between settings and travel speed, betweeen boat, plane, foot, train, its all relative

garbage movie that gets repetitive after 15 minutes.
wow we're getting bombed again wow the planes are so loud wow the kid almost died again but narrowly escaped oh no we're getting bombed again
wow non stop action is great haha who need compelling characters or story lines when you have action! big bombs blowing up wow!

Alright senpai. Ill watch it with my dad then, long time since I've done something with him to be honest.

>Every usual Nolan flaw is practically non-existant here
still got no definable characters and manufactured drama

>oh no I can't open my cockpit door
>oh no I still can't open the door!
>oh no I'm bashing at the door and the glass won't break!
>oh no I dropped the tool I was bashing the door that won't open with
>oh thank god the man in the boat that the audience knew was coming 5 whole minutes ago rescued me!
>phew that wasn't tense at all!

>>oh thank god the man in the boat that the audience knew was coming 5 whole minutes ago rescued me!
No, the audience see Rylance coming to save him in the boat only after we see him crash landing and trying to get out of the Spitfire. Also we as the audience see him crash land from Hardy's perspective first and we see him waving so Hardy gives him a thumbs up as in it's all good, only to later find out that he wasn't waving but struggling to save his own life. I think that's pretty good "manufactured drama" as you say.

the opening scene was neat and the sound in the imax was really neat. sadly when you try and repeat the same intense scene for an entire movie, it really loses its muster.

I agree

imagine if the music was generic, or not constantly winding
the film would just be scenes of people being mildly hurt by invisible nazi's dropping tiny bombs

the opening sequence was one of the finest ever crafted in cinema. the shot composition, the atmospheric set up, the pop from tension to full scale jeopardy is brilliant. it's actually quite remarkable how the films main character is as important as every boy he meets, you understand that this is a shared experience, not a personal tale. Nolan has done it again

thats the nature of war, its repetitive, this is true realism, this isnt creative leisure on a historical account, you are suffering from add and bay syndrome

spectacle

The whole opening scene was a reflection of the whole film.
>the soldier becomes aware of his doom
>he is attacked and he struggles to escape as his mates perish
>he encounters his own allies as they attempt to hold off the enemy
>he does finally escape (to the beach), where he joins a stranger in mourning and finds their shared experience gives rise to a deep bond.

And it set's the tone and the narrative right away, you know what he is doing and why, you are given historical context with the french and all that without a single line of dialogue. Unironically bravo nolan.

Took my 9 year old son to see it in IMAX yesterday, feels good man.

>add and bay syndrome
what the fuck are you talking about? this movie was non stop action from beginning to end
this is why people hate nolan drones

>manufactured drama
All movie drama is "manufactured", you fucking idiot.

>nonstop action
compared to what, 2001?

compared to most movies that are not hollywood action blockbusters (which this movie is)

>So many people believed that this event took place after D-Day

The action starts at minute 1 and continues until damn near the very end
You can like the movie, thats fine, but to pretend this movie isn't purely an action flick is just retarded

>Didnt dedicate any time to the troops defending the perimeter who basically doomed themselves to capture or death to protect the soldiers being evacuated
>Progression of time was a bit jarring
Those are my only real gripes with the film

you're so smart, ty user

>we already know what happened at dunkirk
>doesnt make us care about any of the individual stories of the characters
>instead devotes all its time to stuff blowing up

>The action starts at minute 1 and continues until damn near the very end

The fuck? There's barely any war in this war movie, it's most guys just standing around talking.

stuff blowing up mildly, might I add

what? maybe youre too used to john wick or something but this movie was action heavy
and there wasn't any compelling dialogue or character development

>it's most guys just standing around talking
Now you're just lying

My ears hurt

Are you sure you watched the right movie? We are talking about Dunkirk by Christopher Nolan.

That character is the only flaw of the film

reminder if someone likes a nolan film call them what they are "a dumb fucking nigger"

>do I fit in yet?

Nice m8. My wife made me wait until marriage to dunkirk her

>there wasn't any character development
What about Rylance's son coming to understand what stoicism is? Styles coming to understand that there is something to praise in a succesful retreat? Hardy coming to understand personal sacrifice for a greater good? Also Nolan has said consistently that he wanted minimal character details to emphasise the situation these people were in, the event itself is the focus here

awful boring snorefest; waste of time

t. ameritard

>the event itself is the focus here
thats my point though
we know about the event
we all know exactly what happened
its not interesting so the characters have to be and they weren't
none of those story arcs you mentioned were interesting or good

Hate all this Ameritard bullshit, but it holds some water. If I hadn't had any interest of my own, leaving it up to schooling, the only mention I would have heard of Dunkirk was from Atonement.

I think you're exaggerating Dunkirk's presence in media/public conscious.

>haha lol i used reductionist exposition to make the movie appear bad
>lol isn't this movie so not good guys? you see how smart i am guys?

Maybe you're right. My dad is big into history so I learned a lot. Now that I think about it I think about it I'm not sure if I was ever taught about it in school. American btw

What is your favourite war film and tell me in short the character development of any character you want from it.

I really dont like war / action movies but if i had to pick it would probably be Ivan's Childhood or The Cranes are Flying (maybe not considered a war film idk).

what appears to be the issue ?

Are you trying to imply that Dunkirk is even close to either of those movies?

>i don't really like war movies, but i guess i would say my favorite are critical darlings that get me points with the letterboxd crowd
Let me know how middle school goes

Wow I'm sorry I named good movies! I should've named bad ones instead! My mistake!

No and they are dealing with entirely different subjects in the narrative, not comparable at all really.

>When the kino kicks in

>being this assblasted because his response doesn't fit your argument
jesus christ

haha

also American and definitely wasn't taught about Dunkirk at all. I even took a history class as a senior that focused entirely on WWII history for a semester and I don't remember any significant mention of it.

they're critical darlings for a reason retard

It wouldn't be. It was Britain's retreat from the continent after the Germans smashed through the French armies.

Essentially, the British decided to withdraw to the isles in order to preserve the ground and air forces to present a threat, rather than face ultimate defeat in further fighting.

It's been glorified, mainly due to the fact that the success of the evacuation was a miracle and because civilian craft took part in the operation.

The French also took part and they can get pretty pissy about being underrepresented/ being left in the lurch.

I'm not saying they're not, I'm saying he's pretentious

Best WWII movie I've seen, though that's not saying much...

how is he pretentious? because he likes great movies? you asked what he thought were the best ones and he gave you an answer with two great movies.

What movies should I have named then?

The movies themselves aren't the point, autists.
It's the fedora tipping attitude.

LMFAO youre a fucking autist holy shit

She's either going to be bored (it's slow as fuck), or be partially deaf afterwards (if it's a good cinema the sound will be turned to 11).

And afterwards you'll just feel melancholic.
Retarded idea for a first date, I would just kill yourself.

It was so obvious how jelly he got of Cuaron's work. but it is his best work nevertheless.

movie was great

>It's the fedora tipping attitude.
I seriously don't understand what you're talking about. You asked me a question and I answered.