Is Orville more Star Trek than than the new STD series which is official star trek?

Is Orville more Star Trek than than the new STD series which is official star trek?

STD is not a comedy, from interviews the creators of Orville say it is not a comedy, and that the only comedy comes from the cast who react to real situations like real people.

Orville Trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0
STD Trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/859976066886021120
tvline.com/2017/06/27/star-trek-discovery-jonathan-frakes-direct-season-1/
comicbook.com/startrek/2017/07/15/orville-star-trek/
streamable.com/8hc08
tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/expanse-season-two-ratings/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Orville looks like a Galaxy Quest spinoff, which imo captured the spirit of Trek nicely while being normie-friendly like TNG. Sci-fi comedy has a track record of lasting a season or less on Fox, so I'm not optimistic about its chances.

STD looks like an Enterprise spinoff and talks like a Mass Effect adaptation, these are IMO negatives. Being stuck on a small proprietary service makes me even less optimistic for its chances. Nevertheless I wish it well in its future endeavours.

>Sci-fi comedy has a track record of lasting a season or less on Fox, so I'm not optimistic about its chances.
Normally Im sure anyone would agree. But ya gotta admit unless it outright bombs, due to the LooooOOOOooooong relationship Fox has with Seth due to family guy, they may let it run even if it has a bumpy start maybe?

For the hundredth time, no

Discotrash wants to be grimdark. Seth wants to make A Million Ways To Die In Space. I'll put my money on the latter. Especially with Kurtzman working on Discotrash. That cunt couldn't write his way out of Wisconsin travel brochure.

>orvilles not a comedy
>previews only show shitty jokes about vegetable weapons and warfs that only poop once a year
not doing a good job of showing its not a failed attempt at comedy. neither will be as good as TNG but orville does look like the better of two evils

I thought this was very cringey. None of the jokes had time to land and the writing wasn't good. Not being contrarian, but this seems kind of bad desu

>not doing a good job of showing its not a failed attempt at comedy.
I never got into family guy, but I gotta admit Orville looks like it works, try rewatching the trailer. This sounds weird but it got better for me the 2nd time. Maybe their pacing was off, its alot to take in the first time.

Exactly how many times are you going to make this exact same thread?

I mean if anyone can stretch one joke into multiple seasons, it's McFarlane.

I LOVED that Orville trailer. So good, and clearly not a comedy but with some really, really funny moments.

Not sure what that Discovery crap is doing and I refuse to watch it.

>I mean if anyone can stretch one joke into multiple seasons, it's McFarlane.
hmmm did that work on family guy? Never really got into it but liked the star wars and trek parody stuff. Not bad really. In his interview he does say its not comedy like family, their worlds apart, he seemed very adamant about that.

>Seth wants to make A Million Ways To Die In Space. I'll put my money on the latter.
>putting your money on either
I take it finances is more of a hobby for you.

>I take it finances is more of a hobby for you.
logistics and high level math are and the metrics all would point to a yes for investing in Orville.

Only problem with Orville is what if it is successful? then what? No way can can any person manage 2 shows while building a whole universe which he would HAVE to do for Orville. That would be the asterisk on my comment of where to invest. If he took a break on family guy if Orville takes off though, and Id say the odds would be on Orville's side as a smart investment.

Fuck off Seth. Just because Discovery looks like ass, doesn't mean I'm gonna go out and watch your shit show.

You aren't a shill, but you are attempting to pretend to be a shill in order to receive free (You)s.

Your attempt succeeded in amusing me, so I am now holding up my end of the bargain.

>if it turns out to be good, I made a smart investment
>if it turns out to be bad, I made a dumb investment
Easy there, Gordon Gekko.

Unlike Star Trek Discovery The Orville actually has Trek people on it. I think Braga is writing a few episodes and Frakes is directing at least one. STD fired Fuller.

>Easy there, Gordon Gekko.
lol, you get where Im coming from though. Orville and its success I think will hinge LARGELY on Seth taking a break from all other projects to work on building the universe for Orville.

Frakes is also working on STD. There are other Trek people on STD too like Meyer.

>Is Orville more Star Trek than than the new STD series which is official star trek?
Seems like I've been hearing this a lot lately all over the web. Like it's some sort of marketing tactic or something.

Haha, as if!

As if that would be a marketing tactic...

So Riker from TNG is directing an ep of Orville or a few maybe? Following when that was put out, STD scrambled and hired him to direct one episode. Trying to Joogle it shows that their working hard to bury Frakes working on Orville. Im not sure if thats a good or bad thing :P

May 3 Frakes tweets about directing for Orville: twitter.com/jonathansfrakes/status/859976066886021120
June 27 CBS scrambles for frakes to direct STD:
tvline.com/2017/06/27/star-trek-discovery-jonathan-frakes-direct-season-1/

Frakes only got brought on STD after his work on Orville due to the bad PR.
see

I forgot Frakes was discovering STD too. LeVar Burton directed a few episodes of Trek I think too. Why not get him for either show as well?

Or maybe he was brought on STD later because STD was only ready to hire directors later.

You seem to have this bizarre idea that they are operating on the same timetable.

Get out of this thread.

no, they were mid shooting, ya dont bring a director in and hot seat them unless.... PR. The entertainment business is like that. STD was already filming when he was brought on, you learn these things as you learn more about the business but PR is everything.

Says here that Braga is a Producer on Orville and is using the old trek style for writing, didnt people hate him or is this a good thing? Maybe its good if he sucked before since now he isnt stuck with following canon?

comicbook.com/startrek/2017/07/15/orville-star-trek/

The Orville is clearly a Star Trek parody.
Discovery is clearly a Star Trek fanfilm.

They're still shooting right now. They're running late, that's why they're splitting the season into 2 parts, because they haven't finished with everything they need yet.

Frakes being hired is not as late as you imagine it to be.

Its simple which will be better, do the math:

Entire STD cast and team : 0 Emmys
Seth McFarlane: 3 Emmys

Braga from Orville won a peabody if anyone gives a shit.

The Orville is Star Trek worship.
Discovery is Star Trek nihilism.

>They're still shooting right now. They're running late, that's why they're splitting the season into 2 parts, because they haven't finished with everything they need yet.
Your retarded and out of the loop, they scrapped everything shot when Fuller was there because he walked and they couldnt keep it going. Splitting a season is not a second season, and not one actor is signed for a second season. Sheesh the smarter you try and look, the dumber you come off, but dont let me interrupt you.

>The Orville is Star Trek worship.
>Discovery is Star Trek nihilism.
Mind blown!

>Your retarded and out of the loop, they scrapped everything shot when Fuller was there because he walked and they couldnt keep it going.
Please post a source that they scrapped everything that was shot.

>Splitting a season is not a second season, and not one actor is signed for a second season.
Please quote the portion of my post which you think is about a second season.

P I T C H F O R K
P E A S A N T S

>Please post a source that they scrapped everything that was shot.
use Jewgle newfag, you can read about their production hiccups and everything else all over the internet or youtube. Its common knowledge, but apparently that is too difficult for you to understand.

So you can't post a source?

Also, where in my post did I mention a second season?

>So you can't post a source?
you cant google, because your a retard literally any of the first 100 hits will work. Then again judging by your poor grammar, typing wouldn't be your strong suit so I wont hold it against you.

Don't you hate it when some dick-free user uses his own witless nicknames for things when posting in an already established thread?

I can't find any sources that they scrapped everything that they had filmed. Please provide one.

Also, where in my post did I mention a second season?

>yet another fake argument between "anons" who always post more than one minute apart
Anyone who observes and analyses post times sees right through this schtick, just so you know.

>I can't find any sources that they scrapped everything that they had filmed. Please provide one.
Probably because your an idiot. Split season, it cant legally be a second season due to contractual obligations with the performers for ONE season... Again, dont let me stop you from looking like an idiot, but I think your village is missing you friendo.

There's a pretty high level of autism in this thread right now

Yup, it's about time for you to leave normie

All I ever wanted was for them to admit that they have no source, I didn't expect for the discussion to go in this direction.

>STD fired Fuller.
It's a good thing too. He mostly directed Voyager episodes and like a couple DS9 episodes. And not the most memorable ones either.

Family Guy and American Dad both had a lot of repetitive shtick going on. It got old quickly for me, but audiences keep coming back for it. If the Orville can play to a general crowd while making good use of Trek tropes it has a chance.

Discovery may well have decent writing by episode, mind. I think production design is ugly and making the Klingons ISIS is dumb.

He didn't direct episodes, he wrote them. And some of them were quite memorable, e.g. Empok Nor, Bride of Chaotica and Course: Oblivion.

Those episodes are uniformly terrible.

>All I ever wanted was for them to admit that they have no source
you should admit next time you look in a mirror to kill yourself being that its widely known as any real trekkie would know since its ALL over the media.

Braga isn't really a selling point

And Sub Rosa is quintessential Star Trek kino, eh?

Here was the killer on STD for me, STD uses ALL CGI for like everything. When I read Orville was going old school using real ship models and CGI for backdrop stuff, I shit myself with joy.

Why do people say that STD has shills on Sup Forums when posters like are obvious Orville shills?

streamable.com/8hc08

i liked this promo

>I think Braga is writing a few episodes
Isnt he a producer doing like a head writing thing not really writing the eps just editing them or something?

cuz STD would have shills, they need the PR judging by the thousands of negs at like a 2 to 1 ratio on their trailers unlike Orville.

eh, the Expanse uses all CGI for the ships and their sequences look great. models are always fun but it's not like space CGI isn't well developed at this point.

...okay, I admit that Sub Rosa is on par with Bryan Fuller's contributions to Star Trek. You win.

considering it was his first writing gig and he's showrun several critically acclaimed series since then I wouldn't say that stuff is particularly indicative of his current writing ability.

Fuller's one of the best showrunners working today.

>, the Expanse uses all CGI for the ships and their sequences look great.
i dont watch that shit show either. Judging from the ratings and comments most dont watch The Expanse, doubt its cuz of CGI though but for alot of people it surely is since they cheaped out on effects.
tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/expanse-season-two-ratings/

huh? the Expanse has great effects

>considering it was his first writing gig and he's showrun several critically acclaimed series since then I wouldn't say that stuff is particularly indicative of his current writing ability.
^this
Keep in mind wasnt he also writing for Trek for years, like a co-writer kind of thing not writing full eps? He said in an interview he was shocked he got the job since he had no real experience, yet Roddenberry saw alot of potential in him. His current shows seem very popular.

He quit this one. What's that say?

>huh? the Expanse has great effects
im sure their CGI is top notch, thats the problem senpai if that is what your saying? Do they have any real practical effects? Makeup for example like orville, not just wearing a greenscreen bald cap or something?

>yet Roddenberry saw alot of potential in him.
Roddenberry was dead. Behr saw a lot of potential in him.

>They let me into the [DS9] writers’ room, and it was Ira Behr who was like “Okay, we’ll give this guy a chance and he can be in the writers’ room.” And it was interesting to be in a writers’ room for the very first time. And what was great about the Deep Space Nine writers’ room was that they were all fans of Star Trek and you were with people who loved the program, whereas on Voyager there was sort of an attitude of you know, [disgusted] “It’s Star Trek” and all, you know. And I was just like “What are you talking about? You’re lucky to be here.” So Deep Space Nine were the fans and then Voyager was a little bit of like, you know, “We’re better than this” and I was like “No you’re not. None of us are.”

>He quit this one. What's that say?
Fuller always said he would drop everything to work on Trek. bro they quit on him, he left his 2 shows which are emmy award winning and dropped them to work on STD. They quit him, execs are haters, what else would you expect from suits?

well, he was developing American Gods and Discovery at the same time, had a lot of arguments with CBS.

they were unhappy with his schedule, he was unhappy with their creative interference so American Gods won out in the end and it's a great show.

I was actually listening to a podcast from like 2012 and Fuller that he'd cringe whenever he heard a friend of his was going to do a show for CBS. life can be ironic.

they have plenty of real sets, the show doesn't require too much makeup effects because there aren't aliens.

>Roddenberry was dead.
thanks for clearing that up user.

>Fuller's one of the best showrunners working today.
American Gods says different. What a shitshow.

>well, he was developing American Gods and Discovery at the same time, had a lot of arguments with CBS.
thats the copy/paste PR response. That isnt what happened at all. Fuller literally was kicked off set basically and the two parties released a mutual statement. Do you believe everything you read? Your head must be a magical place.

they both look like absolute dogshit, which means /tv will love both

Sup Forums apparently loves American Gods even though that's complete fucking trash so maybe you're right

>they have plenty of real sets
just googled it user, it is well lit for all the greys in the background which is nice. But uhhh looking at pics it looks like SJW garbage? Is it? or is it like Trek where it looks that way, but isnt that way in the actual show meaning race or gender isnt like the focus of any episode?

lol dude what are you talking about, what is wrong about that statement? he was developing American Gods at the same time as STD, which literally from the article you're getting all your information from

>From CBS’ perspective, sources say they were frustrated that, given the ticking clock, Fuller was spending so much time on his equally ambitious Starz show, American Gods, which was simultaneously shooting its debut season. “It wasn’t just a little teeny side job he had over there,” one insider noted. “It was a massive undertaking.”

retard.

Brian Gender apparently did not feel that way because he was fired.

>Brian Gender apparently did not feel that way because he was fired.
what way? I dont know anything about the expanse? Are you a fan?

A long-delayed Star Trek show that's been stuck on the backburner for years vs another vanity project from Seth MacFarlane? Can't I just wait for more of The Expanse instead?

Huge fan. But you know what I'm not a fan of? Star Trek.

>Huge fan.
so is it SJW crap or not? You just said some guy got fired so connect those dots plz user?

>Star Trek
Maybe Orville which is off beat would work? Good time to be alive though with 2 scifi shows coming. Even if hate both maybe they will spawn more scifi shows on other networks if either of them take off?

>Do you believe everything you read?
So where did you find the rumors that you choose to believe? Some shitty YouTube video?

Why do you ask so many questions? Can't you just accept that some things may never make perfect sense?

>So where did you find the rumors that you choose to believe? Some shitty YouTube video?
their called facts, he dropped everything to work on the show, source Bryan Fuller. Your clearly retarded so I wont pick on you, its just too easy. Dont make it so easy.

the fact of the matter is people/fans have gotten tired of star trek (beyond). it was nothing new. Same goes for enterprise.
Now we're getting another prequel to a series. After tng/ds9/voyager people want to know what happens/what will happen in the future.

std will only last one season (if that). chances are it will bomb and cbs will upload the entire season to appease the fans.

orville is something fresh and people will flock to it because it has zero ties to star trek and can see it as 'star trek after tng/ds9/voyager'. so there isn't any baggage or worrying about prequel continuity or worrying about kelvin timeline/original timeline/etc.

orville will probably finish strong and get a second season and if mcfarlane is smart bank on it's popularity and make a small movie to lead into the second season. and if he's really lucky another movie to lead into the 3rd season.

what people don't know is that cbs is also making another star trek series (behind discovery) just in case discovery bombs. then cbs will say discovery is just part of an anthology series and announce the next series taking place in the future (or if they're stupid - in the past) with a different crew.

ppl are sick of prequels hence all the hate and lack of fanfare for Discovery no matter how much the media spams them. It actually might be doing the opposite of promoting them since pro diversity people are already hating on the show for not including trans characters.

I'm half expecting a temporal civil war centered Star Trek so they can still shove lazy time travel plots into every episode.

seriously what the fuck is it with prequels?

after voyager it seems the writers didn't know what to do. the franchise was like, okay now what?

then when it came to make a new series, they were still afraid to move forward so they decided, 'hey let's make a series way before kirk. like when there wasn't a federation and everything was dangerous'. prequels are so in right now. let's cash in.

during this time 'generations', 'first contact', 'insurrection', and 'nemesis' tried to continue the star trek but the last 2 movies sucked.

the rebooted star trek was good. alternate universe, how the original crew came together to face a new threat. okay. cool.

into darkness - um, let's bring back khan. since you know the original 2nd movie had khan and it was a big hit. let's just change the story about him wanting his crew back and him being a terrorist.

beyond - justin lin, fast a furious, motorcycle, explosions. let's make it about a captain reaching the federation frontier and i don't know, not being happy.

now the franchise is back at it again with, 'let's make a series 10 years before kirk' and let's make a black girl the adoptive sister of spock. yeah. bling bling cash money ya'll.

So would this be the first time someone would actually prefer an STD?

>they were still afraid to move forward so they decided, 'hey let's make a series way before kirk. like when there wasn't a federation and everything was dangerous'.
Discovery takes place 10 years before Kirk and spock were both on the enterprise it says at the start of the trailer. That means the enterprise still existed but Cage I think his name was is captain. Somehow the uniforms for STD dont match at all, probably why people call it STD, nothing good will come from this.

Those fucking middle delta's are JJ abrams Delta's!!!!

CBS calling it prime timeline my ass! FUCK YOU STD!!!!!!!!!!!!

>mass effect adaptation

wut

>Says here that Braga is a Producer on Orville and is using the old trek style for writing, didnt people hate him or is this a good thing?

He doesn't get as much hate as Rick Berman, but then again he did write "Threshold" so maybe he should.

>He doesn't get as much hate as Rick Berman, but then again he did write "Threshold" so maybe he should.
Im not up on Braga... but your saying his career is ass because of one episode named "Threshhold"? Dam, that shit must have been bad to garner alot of hate. Were any of his eps good, hoping the others were?

He wrote tons of episodes. But also Threshold.

>In 2003, seven years after having written the installment, Brannon Braga said, "It's a terrible episode. People are very unforgiving about that episode. I've written well over a hundred episodes of Star Trek, yet it seems to be the only episode anyone brings up, you know? 'Brannon Braga, who wrote 'Threshold'!' Out of a hundred and some episodes, you're gonna have some stinkers! Unfortunately, that was a royal, steaming stinker."

I'm reading a list of credits and it says he wrote "Sub Rosa" too, so that's another strike against him.

well at least he knew it sucked, people learn over time, looks like he did a shit ton of writing for 24 so cant be all that bad. Maybe now with that experience we are at the right time and place to get some good scifi exploration out of him.

REEEE WHERE ARE MY COMFY PIKE UNIFORMS

It's the latter
>Belters act like the worst gypsies ever and constantly bring up 'race'
>Martians are SE asians with Texan accents
>Whites still calling the shots on Earth
>CIA chief is Iranian
>Chinese CEO is essentially Fu Manchu
>elderly gay couple, secondary characters, no sex, one dies
>Certain characters are subject to "white liberal guilt" vis a vis belters
>this only ever gets them fucked

I think it balances out