DC announces 'Supergirl Being Super' 4-issue mini

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/supergirl-being-super-comic-book-926438

Other urls found in this thread:

comicvine.gamespot.com/mariko-tamaki/4040-60206/issues-cover/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariko_Tamaki
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Porky_and_Pissed_Off
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>With this month's launch of a new ongoing monthly comic book and the debut of the second season of her television show next month, DC Entertainment's Supergirl is flying higher than she has in quite some time right now. This December, the character's profile will be raised even further with the launch of a new mini-series from an all-star creative team, retelling her origin story for a new generation.

>Supergirl: Being Super will be a four-issue series written by Mariko Tamaki, whose coming-of-age drama This One Summer, illustrated by her cousin Jillian Tamaki, won both Ignatz and Eisner Awards for best graphic novel, as well as receiving a Printz Honor and Randolph Caldecott Medal in 2015. Art on the series will come from Eisner Award-nominee Joelle Jones, co-creator of the fan-favorite Lady Killer and Helheim series. Set outside of regular continuity, the series will offer an updated take on Kara Zor-El's earliest days on Earth.

>"I was approached by DC awhile ago, and it was a project that I was interested in," Tamaki tells Heat Vision about the origins of the series. "Of all the DC characters, Supergirl was always one who's stood out to me. I was really excited when they approached me." Jones — who signed an exclusive contract with DC this summer — joined the project after Tamaki signed on, putting the decision down to a simple fact: in addition to liking Supergirl as a character, she says, "I'm a fan of Mariko."

>Being Super will skew away from what any people expect from a superhero origin story, with Tamaki citing some unexpected influences on her work in the series. "I come from a very John Hughes place, because I'm very old and that's my starting point for starting to talk about adolescence," she jokes, adding, "There's something about taking a weekend in someone's life and just focusing on what happens in that time. Although, obviously, if you're writing about superheroes, then about ten times more things can happen than would if you're a regular kid living in Toronto, Canada."

>Another potentially surprising influence? Boom! Studios' award-winning girls camp adventure Lumberjanes, which has already made its presence felt at DC. "I've been feeling the influence of that vision of being a girl," Tamaki said. "It's hard, in a way. You have so many influences."

>With Supergirl now gaining more fans in mainstream pop culture who haven't picked up a comic before, Tamaki and Jones realize the potential for Being Super to be a gateway for new readers, although both talked about the need to make a good comic overruling any impulse to simplify things for newcomers.

>"I try to be very aware of the storytelling aspect, so I try to put myself in the position of people approaching comics for the first time, but beyond that, I want to work on something that excites people, and create something that people want to read," Jones says. Tamaki agreed, adding, "Supergirl is the perfect starting point for writing, for me, what it means to be sixteen years old. We had a lot of free rein to take the character as the inspiration for our story."

So I'm guessing this is one of the books Didio said would be written by a nonwhite person

They should have gotten Jillian to draw it and just make it a OGN targeted to girls like This One Summer

Have never read anything by the Mariko, is she good?

Did she forget to put on clothes? That's not very super.

Can someone post Jillian Tamaki art? Is she/he good?

Some of her credits comicvine.gamespot.com/mariko-tamaki/4040-60206/issues-cover/

>Supergirl: Being Super launches December 28th.

Also this is Joelle Jones' first interior art work as DC exclusive.

An unlettered preview is also available in the OP link.

She isn't drawing this so what's the point?

Shit, I read OP wrong.

When Lady Killer is over I hope she gets a nice ongoing

>Supergirl Mini-Series
Yeesssssss!

>Illustrated by Joelle Jones
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS!

DC on a fucking roll right now.

I love how DC is giving best girl so much spotlight these days.

Although I'm not interested in this particular type of story, I hope it ends up successful and people who do enjoy this kind of stuff feel satisfied. I like Supergirl as a character, though.

Also old material getting collected.

QT
T

Sounds like a good creative team, I'm not familiar with Tamaki but I love Jones' art

I wish I cared a little more about Supergirl, but I will still check this out

yuck

What a babe

> liking someone with gingervitis

Looks cute

I will read this because dolphin shorts are really hot.

>dolphin shorts are really hot.
This nigga understands.

>being a shithead

when are babs and kara going to fuck?

Im excited but this does make me sad the current jl arc was not a mini.

She does look fairly attractive.

>this is the writer
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A-at least the artstyle will be good...

>another Curt Swan + Alan Moore moment

-How do we make our characters more hip?
-We give them a cellphone!

Good. I'm glad DC is open about these out of continuity projects like American Alien, Legend of Wonder Woman and this. They've all been very good to excellent.

Is she Wasian?

I think so, Jillian definitely has Asian in her

tumblr personified

Fuck you DC, you're doing enough normal capes with A list talent, give me a fucking magic title or s-
>Mariko Tamaki
Fuck, I'm actually impressed. But still, you could've given her a different character, not one with an ongoing. Or maybe even get her on Vertigo.

What's next, "Superman: Feels Super, Man"?

>Superman: Feels Super, Man
I would buy that.

To be fair thats literaly the one thing nuppg got right.

>lumberjanes influence
Welp there goes my hype.

I sure hope so

>feet

Day 1 buy.

why are footfags so awful

>Joelle Jones
I'm in.

She doesn't look like anything special to me.

Eye of the beholder and all that. I love her style and she's good at drawing clothes that look like clothes.

>wanting more clothes on supergirl

Go back to Saudi Arabia.

So some asian bitch, never written a super hero book, gets to write a supergirl series? With Orlando on the main book this is a shit year to be a Kara fan.

Me too. Was ready to by. No fucking thank you.

Except written by who, inspired by Lumberjanes.

>this awesome creative team
>origin retelling

uggggggggh

Oh tumblr, never leave leave! (Seriously GTFO)

>This comic about a girl is inspired by a comic about girls.
Oh no.

>Mariko Tamaki, whose coming-of-age drama This One Summer, illustrated by her cousin Jillian Tamaki, won both Ignatz and Eisner Awards for best graphic novel

>JoJo

Sounds good

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariko_Tamaki

40-year-old woman who tries to look like a 20-year-old hipster. Canadian. McGill University (cespool of far left bullshit that does things like declare Movember sexist). Performance artist. Worked with a bunch of LGBT feminist artists in said group. Only notable work is about lesbianism.

All the warning signs are right there.

Things that I assume will happen in this story:

>Character shows up looking like she walked out of the Plebcomics parody character design
First half of issue 1

>Evil male whose crime is being an evil male
By the end of issue 1

>Nu-male friend whose crush is not reciprocated
First half of issue 1

>Lesbian friend of Supergirl with a crush on her
Opening pages of issue 2 as Kara has to find an apartment and gets that as a roommate.

>Supergirl is a lesbian/bisexual
End of issue 3

>Superheroics
Never shows up, it'll have "action" in the same way something like Hellcat does which is to say not at all.

>Nu-male becomes a misogynist
Middle of issue 2

Matt Furie writing/drawing a Boys Club-esque JLA comic would be the best thing DC's ever published so no.

"Batman has a bad day"

>haven't even read anything and still triggered

Great thread

thats a real good creative team,

Not really

When can I have a new volume of Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade?

How isn't it?

>uggggggggh
Kill yourself.

Because the writer dresses quirky I guess given all the complaining about it in this thread
I doubt he's read anything she's actually written

>Supergirl
This vile waifubait "character" needs to go away forever.

cranky pls

Thanks

>"I come from a very John Hughes place

Well, I'm a bit interested.

Same

>barbra gorden fucks the dc universe.
I would read it.

The clothes thing was a joke user

Wait is that auctualy good i have always assumed its the crap most childrens stuff has been the last 10 years.

All of her works deal with turbo-dykes except the one that was about pre-teen girls talking about sex (one of whom may or may not have been a dyke). She was also part of this group:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Porky_and_Pissed_Off

>Pretty Porky & Pissed Off (PPPO) was a Canadian fat activist and performance art collective based in Toronto, Ontario from 1996 – 2005. Their feminist, queer, and LGBT politics were part of the DIY ethics of punk rock and the Riot Grrrl movement, and feminist activism. PPPO was a Canadian trailblazer in the international fat acceptance movement.

What a winner. I'm sure she's going to write a great Supergirl story.

It's fucking great, and it's accessible to kids.

Dam.
This is going to be a really bad book isn't it.

She looks a little spaced out so its possible.

It took me a while to dowload it due to internet troubles but
>she crashed into luthors robot.
Dis gonna be good

Will read for Joelle Jones and also because it's only 4 issues so why not. Could see the writing going either way with Tamaki's track record.

>Shorts that show cheek
Ruined

you have shit taste

Man this is really fucking good

it's my favorite Supergirl story ever besides Wings

Let me guess. This book will all be about dating black guys and fighting mansplainers.

no thanks DC. You lost me.

I wish artists would realize you can't fucking lift heavy ass objects like that. They'd all fall apart buckling over the weight.

>she's going to be writing a pretty white blonde girl

This is going to be awful. She'll definitely be a coalburning feminist.

No you do
She's a sjw

she's a fatty lesbian
she still might be able to write a good story
her graphic novel is super fucking popular

>coalburning
Does it even count if the nigga's practically an oreo?