Is it just me or are all British shows "a character solving murder mysteries... with a twist!"

Is it just me or are all British shows "a character solving murder mysteries... with a twist!"

>Father Brown: A guy solves mysteries... but he's a Catholic priest!
>Death in Paradise: A guy solves mysteries... but in the Caribbean, mon!
>Luther: A guy solves mysteries... but he's black!
etc.

Crime mysteries do well in the UK, plus there's not much else you can do with the genre when you're restricted to low age ratings.

Fuck you, it's comfy and easy viewing

what about Downton Abbey? The Office? Extras? House of Cards? The IT Crowd? Coupling? Top Gear? Peaky Blinders?

Op is the end of a bell

How about a show about a guy solving murder mysteries, but he is hooked to watching english shows about a character solving murder mysteries with a twist?

Bellend refers to the bell-shaped end, not the end of a bell.

Heh, tricked you into recommending stuff to me.

>86120973
you might like mindhorn

OP is the met of a hel.

isn't that Cased Closed/Detective Conan?

The urethral opening?
Wow mate, that's a really shitty insult

>>Father Brown: A guy solves mysteries... but he's a Catholic priest!
Do you know who Father Brown is?

>Death in Paradise

thanks op. my parents were watching this when i visited one time but i forgot the name of the show.

murder she wrote: A guy solves mysteries... but hes an old lady!

What's the problem
You don't want to solve crimes or you don't want the twist

Holy shit, it's like a fedora atheist except a theist.

you should check out John C. Wright

Damn, I like what I see.

Wright is the apex fedora archetype, but Count to a Trillion is still a great sci-fi novel.

>catholic priest
>looks like a pedo
What did BBC mean by this?

>"If Vulcans had a church, they'd be Catholics."

holy shit

I watch/read a lot of mystery and what you're describing is in fact a well established archetype of the sleuth genre.
The detective is DESIGNED to be an outsider, that is to say they are not held back by the regular social constrictions that every other character is beholden to.

Hercule Poirot is a foreigner so people underestimate him and he can bluff his way through normally awkward social situations. Marple is an old lady that people assume is senile, her age commands both pity and respect, making eavesdropping and people underestimate her. Father Brown is a priest - I'm sure I don't have to explain his unique position. Anyways it's not a twist. It's a cornerstone of the genre.

To be honest, literally all crime mysteries are "a character solving murder mysteries... with a twist!"

>A guy solves mysteries.... but he's a working-class cop who pretends to be dumb and fools his enemy! Also we show the killer first!
>A guy solves mysteries... but he pretends he's psychic!
>A guy solves mysteries... but he can bring people back to life!
>A guy solves mysteries... but he has OCD!
>A guy solves mysteries... but he's a crime mystery writer! Genius!

Etc...

>>A guy solves mysteries... but he can bring people back to life!
Is this Pushing Daisies?

Poroit is objectively the best tv detective, although I do like Agatha Christie's Marple books better

I like Doc Martin. it's like Becker but british

I enjoy almost any show with Martin Clunes in it. The Man Who Lost His Head was fantastic.

My mother loves that show a lot.

Oh.

Doc Martin so fucking comfy. Makes me wish I was a britbong sometimes.

Huh? I haven't watched a whole lot but comfy seems like the opposite of what it is. It seems like a bunch of chaotic shit happening all the time.

Very solid explanation of the genre, thanks for this.

John C. Wright is an arseclown. He's LARPing Chesterton in the 21st century, but he comes across more like Ignatius J. Reilly from A Confederacy of Dunces.

>A guy solves mysteries ... but he stays in his bathtub the whole time!
Loofah

>Columbo: A cop solves mysteries...but he has a lazy eye! One watching the suspect and the other looking out for the truth.

It was glass.

It's shit anyway

I think you just watch a lot of of murder mysteries.

>I like Doc Martin
It's one of the few things I still turn the TV on for. I feel like it should have ended at this point though.

Why do people talk about this every time Columbo comes up? I hardly notice it in the show. Is he really sensitive about it or something?

Nah, I just always noticed it. Never really bothered me.

Isn't father brown just a copy of the American show Father Dowling mysteries?

No it's G.K. Chesterton's famous novels.

>Be G. K. Chesterton
>The best english writer of the 20th century
>Write insightful short stories about human nature, disguised as perfectly assambled logic puzzles
>80 years later, some faggot describes your work on a mongolian shadow puppet board
>A guy solves mysteries... but he's a Catholic priest!

Father Brown is actually pretty okay IMO

Americans fashioned an entire franchise out of that premise, with over 2000 episodes

>CSI
>CSI Miami
>CSI New York
>CSI Cyber

Probably another one I'm forgetting

Yeah, if you post about it too much he'll haunt you.

>CSI Cyber

He's still alive last I checked.

>Peter Falk
>alive

user...

There's also NCIS, which has Scott Bakula in its New Orleans spinoff so as far as I'm concerned that's allowed to exist.

And that Chicago franchise. Which isn't all crimesolving but it's still weird it even exists.

Damn.
>type Peter Falk into google
>"peter falk eye" is the first suggestion
And fuck you guys.