What did you guys think?

What did you guys think?

Just came back from watching it in imax 70mm, definitely an experience and story is interestingly played out. besides that, not much though

I was on the very edge of my seat for 1 hour and half.

It's not the kind of movie you'll rewatch again but it was a unique experience.

boy on movie poster looks extremely handsome hot in poster but when i google pix of him he's not as handsome as on movie poster ;_;

I agree it's definitely a better "experience" than it is a film on its own (though I still like it).

he's only qt in dunkirk for some reason, every other pic of him is meh

That's because of the haircut. Look at what a simple decent haircut can do to someone's looks.
Take notice my fellow neckbeards.

I genuinely feel sorry for everyone who will watch it on their Toshiba laptops when the rip is out. Just can't imagine someone experiencing the same thing when that first Stuka beach attack comes in if you watch it on your computer.
That first shot when the brit is drinking water visibly startled the entire theatre where I was, every single shot in the film had weight to it. Undoubtedly one of the best cinema experiences of recent times.

same with Harry Styles, never looked twice at the dude before but watching Dunkirk I was like damn Harry Styles looks like THAT??

Individual scenes were great but overall the strange format and time jumps killed any sense of suspense. It never gripped me and I was pretty fucking bored of it by the end.

Those planes were really LOUD. it gave me a temporary case of PTSD :(

I found the three narratives interconnecting building even more suspense.
For example, when that Spitfire crash lands in the water and we see him waving to Tom Hardy, thinking that he's waving as in he's okay, only to later see it from the pilot's perspective and find out that he was actually struggling to get out and not drown. Way more suspensful then show him just crash landing and struggling at first.

Still holds up to this day

B R A V O N O L A N

I think it actually did cause my dad to have a mild PTSD-related episode because he panicked on the way home from the theater and started driving like a complete cunt because someone behind us was revving their engine too loud, which he hasn't done in years. Definitely not taking him to a war movie again anytime soon lol.

A fine example of a good story ruined by poor storytelling. A beautiful piece of art to look (and listen) at, but even the slightest amount of thinking drums up glaring inconsistencies and jumps in logic. The emotion wrenching moments are simple and shallow.

This movie was made with one thing in mind; to look beautiful. In that aspect its a great success. But as for everything else, not so much

>poor storytelling
I would agree with you if we're talking about every other Nolan film, but Dunkirk is pure visual storytelling. The opening sequence is the best example, it set's the tone and the narrative right away, you know what he is doing and why, you are given historical context with the french and all that without a single line of dialogue. I don't see the "poor" part.

>but even the slightest amount of thinking drums up glaring inconsistencies and jumps in logic
Please list any of those "glaring" inconsistencies and jumps in logic.

Was it because your daddy got assfucked by midget Vietcong when he got lost in the jungle?

your dads a pussy

>aware planes are periodically divebombing beach
>quite literally only one single person smart enough to shoot at it

>top admiral guy literally never leaves the end of the pier

>shady guy hastily burying a body on beach wearing its clothes
>guy just helps him bury it

>spitfire runs out of fuel
>still flying around like its nothing, even has enough gliding power to line himself up on an enemy plane, which took fucking ages to do in the rest of the movie
>landing gear down literally 1 second in time

>Germans encroaching on beach
>Dutch guy running down beach to his boat, totally unseen
>2 minutes later germs are shooting at the boat but apparently didnt see or hear the Dutchman, nor see his foot prints in the sand

>MCs narrowly avoid death time and time again

>400,000 unprotected men on beach
>apparent horde of nazis being held back by a single barricaded street

>secondary characters about to die
>suddenly, at the last minute, old man knows how to evade planes because his son was a fighter pilot who died a couple weeks into the war and would have never had the chance to tell his dad about how boats are evading him when he shoots them

>George laying dead in the boat while the other 3 do...nothing?

>that fucking downed pilot who was a clear self insert of Nolan

>last few minutes of the movie
>"theyre all gonna hate us"
>literally one second later
>WE LOVE YOU THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

And this is just off the top of my head. Beautiful to look at, frustrating to believe

*still gliding*

>aware planes are periodically divebombing beach
>quite literally only one single person smart enough to shoot at it
That's how it happened in real life

>top admiral guy literally never leaves the end of the pier
He's only shown 3 or 4 times and yes, if the brit soldiers can wait on the beach for a week he can command on that pier most of the time.

>shady guy hastily burying a body on beach wearing its clothes
>guy just helps him bury it
Seemed like a brit soldier burying another brit soldier, you can pretend like you knew he was a frog if you want but most people didn't.

>spitfire runs out of fuel
>still flying around like its nothing, even has enough gliding power to line himself up on an enemy plane, which took fucking ages to do in the rest of the movie
It's basic aerodynamics, you can glide for far more than Hardy did if you just go in a straight lin, and he went way up before "to come down on the bastards" when he had the fuel to do so. And it takes ages in the rest of the movie because in the rest the german fighters are evading Spitfires, while here Hardy has basically sneaked up on the last Stuka because of the turned of engine.

>Germans encroaching on beach
>Dutch guy running down beach to his boat, totally unseen
>2 minutes later germs are shooting at the boat but apparently didnt see or hear the Dutchman, nor see his foot prints in the sand
It was not 2 mnutes, that whole sequence is 6 hours of them waiting for the tide and once the Dutchman comes in they have to wait for 3 hours more. I'm pretty sure the incoming tide made the foot prints not visible pretty fast.

>apparent horde of nazis being held back by a single barricaded street
What horde? There were literally 5 or 6 germans shooting in the opening sequence, don't talk out of your ass.

Try again.

my dad wasn't in nam lol

you're not wrong desu

An exercise in watching slaughter without having the balls to depict a visceral and terrifying depiction

Sterilized murder for two hours

>you can pretend like you knew he was a frog if you want but most people didn't.
I saw it twice and the second time I felt like such an idiot for not noticing the first time around that the frog was hastily getting dressed after Fionn Whitehead helped him bury the brit.

Those drowning/burning/torpedo scenes were pretty "visceral and terrifying" to me.

t. Christopher Nolan

Why did Tom glide the plane for so long, and not crash land near the docks so he could get on a rescue boat.

He basically constantly sacrificed himself to save others, he could've just turned back when he was at 15 gallons of fuel (like his orders were) but he chose to shoot down that last bomber. Then he could've just parachuted out of his plane when he ran out of fuel, but he chose to do a 180 and hunt down that last Stuka to save the others. Because of that he was too low at the end to parachute, would just end up killing himself. You can even see him opening up the cockpit and looking down to see how close he really is and then closing it.
At that point he couldn't land on the sea on the left because landing a Spitfire on the water even under perfect conditions is pretty dangerous (as seen before in the film), let alone landing a gliding one with the engine off in wavy water. And ofcourse he can't land anywhere on the right so the only choice was to land on the beach, but since he was way out of the safe perimeter he had to burn the Spitfire so the germans don't copy their technology.

Hope that clears it up.