Geoff Johns on the Future of DC Movies: Relax, We're Changing Everything

>“[I]n the past, I think the studio has said, ‘Oh, DC films are gritty and dark and that’s what makes them different.’ That couldn’t be more wrong,” Johns told The Wall Street Journal. “It’s a hopeful and optimistic view of life. Even Batman has a glimmer of that in him. If he didn’t think he’d make tomorrow better, he’d stop.”

>The pair admitted many of those changes are first going to be first seen in Zack Snyder’s Justice League, which is almost done filming for a November 2017 release. Berg admitted after seeing the reactions to Batman v Superman, they “accelerated the [Justice League] story to get to the hope and optimism a little faster.”

>That film will also “directly address Batman’s extreme actions in [Batman v Superman], such as torturing criminals and nearly killing the Man of Steel, rather than accept them as par for the course.” That’s similar to what happened in Batman v Superman, which addressed Superman’s inadvertent destruction of the city of Metropolis during Man of Steel for its first act.

>In addition to overseeing all the films, Johns is working more directly on a few of them. We already knew he was writing the Batman solo film for Ben Affleck to star and direct, but he also did a rewrite on Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman film, which will be the next one out.

io9.gizmodo.com/geoff-johns-on-the-future-of-dc-movies-relax-were-cha-1786394751

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cZ12ghCqO3o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They keep creating movies to adress problems they themselves created.

The entire plot of Suicide Squad was built on that premise.

I think it's too late; too many people already hate DC movie.

I mean look at SS, it was hyped up but it's now a complete flop.

Because it was a bad movie. The problem with all of the movies so far is that they've been BAD.

If they come out with a good one, no one is going to go "fuck that, it's DC" besides drones. All they have to do is not completely fuck it up, which they seem incapable of doing given their current track record.

Please save us Johns.

I agree with Johns' vision. The problem is that they are just reacting and trying to change what has been made already.

For instance, how much did they change the Wonder Woman movie? Because before BvS was released, they kept saying it would be very dark. And what happens there was supposed to make Wonder Woman give up on mankind for 100 years. How the fuck will they change that to make it more "hopeful and optimistic"?

>That film will also “directly address Batman’s extreme actions in [Batman v Superman], such as torturing criminals and nearly killing the Man of Steel, rather than accept them as par for the course.” That’s similar to what happened in Batman v Superman, which addressed Superman’s inadvertent destruction of the city of Metropolis during Man of Steel for its first act.
Will DCEU movies ever stop doing damage control?

>inb4 "2deep4u capekino"

Which only made things worse. Will they make the same mistake?

Also remember that Snyder made a lot of excuses for Batman killing in BvS at the time. None of which implied they would adress it later. It was just "he's not REALLY killing them... and looks at this comic right here where he kills, and all those other movies!"

The horses are already out of the barn. And the barn has burned down.

rip capekino
2013-2016

It made money. That means it did okay to DC, although it was far below expectations.

Not a flop, just a glide.

>complete flop
in the top five movies this summer, commercially at least. still shit but youre objectively wrong

He saw a video of all the times batman killed from 66 to TDKR, and instead of going "Wow I could make the first batman movie where he truly doesn't kill anyone" he goes "WOO ALRIGHT I GOT JUSTIFICATION"

>it was far below expectations
When will this meme end? It's nearly made as much as GotG without China.

>a complete flop

Good.

Might be a case of too little too late, though.

>a complete flop
Come on son. This is like Sup Forums acting like AoU was a flop because it made "only" 1.4 billion.

SS was shit, but it wasn't a flop financially.

>a complete flop.

>implying Aquaman isn't going to be the best cape movie since TDK

I do find it funny that Berg and Johns, who initially were like "lol we're just two random dudes; we're not overseers or Feige-like people at all lmao", are now throwing their weight around quite a bit.

Personally, I like it. Because that means Warner Bros is actually listening to them, instead of just making the two of them do what they say.

If it ever gets released

We'll know in a year or so.

I honestly can't believe a Suicide Squad movie was more profitable than a Batman and superman movie. How do you fuck up that bad?

He's scouting locations, that means he's pretty deep into pre production. Unless JL is an absolute flop(a real flop, not a Sup Forums 'flop') it'll get made.

unless of course this is all scripted and handed to them by debbie snyder/kev tsujihara

Fuck that!

I like Snyders vision of the DCU and wanted to see the epic conclusion of his capekino.Now with Johns in charge, this will be another huge clusterfuck like the studio meddling on Green Lantern and Suicide Squad.

now Johns just needs to keep WB out of the fucking editing room.

The problem is they expected a resounding success.

For the people who make movies, you can't just do well, you have to do ridiculously well.

Can't wait to see the next excuse when these films continue to fail

Snyder has never made a good movie.

It is a resounding success.

Johns won't protect the creativity of any director. Johns will try to give himself writing roles to get that sweet sweet paycheck.
Even worst you can bet your ass we will get movies based on his comics.

DCEU is far from oportunity to be redeemed. Too much damage.
Supes - muh edge
Bats - muh martha
Luthor - muh piss jar
Joker - muh honka honka
There's nothing they can do to make the most iconic characters of universe to look good in this universe.

Johns is the WB you dumbass

>you can bet your ass we will get movies based on his comics.

Good.

Geoff "Johns" Warner

don't be silly

he's co- of the DC movies(whatever that is worth) but don't sit there and say he has free reign and doesn't answer to some dumb company board.

>I mean look at SS, it was hyped up but it's now a complete flop.

Not a complete flop, c'mon. but undeperformed for all the hype and buzz before the release. lots of money on marketing, reshooting, trailers, alternate cuts

>>complete flop
>in the top five movies this summer, commercially at least. still shit but youre objectively wrong

the summer underpergormed, just like this movie. Not even top 5 of the year, soon bat v sup won't be top 5 too

We already know this is just pr spin
Johns is not a producer like fiege
Berg is not really that high up at Wb but still has his position post BvS

Whats left for DC now
3 controversial movies in a row does not inspire confidence
Now they are so blatantly copying marvel its pathetic

aquman will film next year before JL release

Then we abandon those figureheads and create new gods.

Shazam
Big Barda
Green Arrow
Dr. Fate
Blue Beetle

This is your new Justice League. Fuck all that other stuff.

He has no real authority to tell people how to make movies
Maybe john berg does but johns can just write sctipts
He's not a director

youre still wrong whether you like it or not

what if he gives them poison cereal?

DCEU > mcu

get mad lads

Unless WW flops.

>[I]n the past, I think the studio has said, ‘Oh, DC films are gritty and dark and that’s what makes them different.’ That couldn’t be more wrong,”
What a fucking 180

No seriously, I bet if I went back 3 years and told people Geoff Johns actually said this, they'd think I was shitposting

Not as much as they hoped.

But I agree.

>BvS and SS made more money than any other 2 comic book movies in the same year ever

>Whats left for DC now
>3 controversial movies in a row does not inspire confidence
>Now they are so blatantly copying marvel its pathetic

hhahaah chrisevanslaughing.gif

WB can't and don't want to use "not famous" characters. The whole DCEU make money only because of big names. And cleaarly WB believe that capeshit era end soon, so they rushing things so hard. They'll not introduce characters which normies doesn't know

When will BvS defenders finally realize that not even the people in charge think that it was a good idea to go forward with and stop claiming it's 2deep4u kinography

Didn't Civil War make three times more than BvS?

And you know how much they wanted, how?

Jesus Christ just stop. Stop trying to apologize to retards that didnt enjoy these movies.

>Because it was a bad movie
This.

It's not about tone. It's not about being darker and grittier like The Dark Knight, or lighter and funnier like Guardians of the Galaxy. If it's a bad movie with a senseless plot and thin characters and shitty dialogue and poor pacing and haphazard editing, it will be a bad movie, regardless of tone. And every DC film adaptation WB has released in the past decade that wasn't directed by Nolan has been a bad film.

But WB doesn't get that. They look at the numbers and then hire people to put together focus group so that they can figure out what soup of marketable elements they need to sell the next movie. 'It's gotta be darker! No, lighter! LIGHTER! Put an anthropomorphic sassy animal in there! G'nort? Are the Detective Chimp rights tied up in the CW shows? Iron Man sells, so we need a robot guy. Yeah sure, Cyborg. We need to appeal to the Hot Topic kids, too. Get that guy from that emo band as Joker. He's won some Oscars so it doesn't matter how much screentime he has, just put him on the billing. Make sure to have some funky musical scenes, they loved that in the space Marvel movie.'

>Even worst you can bet your ass we will get movies based on his comics.

So complete garbage for everything other than Green Lantern, which becomes fucking amazing?

I'm good with this. The rest of it is shit anyway, but we get at least one great movie.

im not sure what you mean by your greentext, because it simply isnt true

>Jesus Christ just stop. Stop trying to apologize to retards that didnt enjoy these movies.
Do you think anybody at that studio knows what they're doing?

Ooh, I know this one!

Variety reported that WB wanted somewhere around 800 million for it to be a "success".

>idn't Civil War make three times more than BvS?

no, it did more than 1 billion. BvS made 872 millions

wut

No.

That was the worst part about BvS. I didn't need a whole movie trying to apologize to not MUHs that got triggered. If you take that shit out it would have been much better.

If we are doing meme economics SS has seen the largest percentage of profit margin of any cape film based on their budget. I think it was something like 3.3%.

that is how green lantern movie was mde, they tried to do just like the iron man movie

>Relax, We're Changing Everything
That's not making me relax at all

Now post the other reports that came out and said that was bullshit.

Is this going to be like with X-Men when they say "this movie was just the beginning. The next movie is going to be the REAL movie you guys were waiting for" ever since X2

>implying someone cares about this movie at all. The only movie that has chances to be better than mediocre is Batman's.

In what way, AT ALL, was the GL movie like Iron Man?

>people were too big of idiots to understand that Batman was violent because of Jason. Now we are gonna get a scene in JL spelling it out.

Just why. Why. Stop trying to please casuals.

Yeah but let's be honest

Everybody knows WW is DoA. The movies coming out around it are just too much to go up against. Not to mention I don't think Wondy gets anybody in seats the same way Bats, Supes and Joker does

>>people were too big of idiots to understand that Batman was violent because of Jason. Now we are gonna get a scene in JL spelling it out.
>Just why. Why. Stop trying to please casuals.

It wasn't that, it was the zod/superman fight

Why the fuck do they keep inventing these problems that they themselves need to "address" or "fix" in the next movie?

Don't do those problems in the first place

What was the Zod Superman fight? They outlined in Op that they are gonna explain to ppl why Batman was violent. I swear people just click respond without even reading what the person said.

Don't worry guys, that Cyborg movie is gonna fix everything!

tried to be iron man. the movie tried to be funny, but script was terrible. level fant4stic four

They aren't problems. They are fine but the masses are too dumb to not get things spelled out for them. Its how it is now. Its why HBO has a recap after every episode now explaining why every person did what they did.

Aren't Green Lantern MCs normally funny guys? What does being comedic have to do with Iron Man?

Of course they're gonna say its bullshit. Its called PR.

Doesn't mean its not potentially true.

>Aren't Green Lantern MCs normally funny guys?
Not really? There's Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner, and that's about it. And Guy's schtick is really being an unlikable asshole on the surface to hide his vulnerability.

I'm just going to believe in Cereal Man and hope for the best.

Did you expect them to come out and say, "Yup, he's right, it's a mess."

GL had a problem in every area.

Bad story, bad directing, bad effects, bad casting, bad acting cast-wide, bad editing, even the music sucked.

>Guy's schtick is really being an unlikable asshole on the surface to hide his vulnerability
So Tony Stark and young RDJ?

>We already knew he was writing the Batman solo film for Ben Affleck to star and direct
>putting Geoff "I hate Batman more than Adolf Hitler" Johns in charge of the Batman movie.
Oh boy, I can't wait for Batman to be completly useless and so stupid he needs people to teach him how to detective (like John's Earth One books).

Seriously, why do people trust Geoff Johns? He's a hack writer that ruined the DC comic book universe. He ruined Superman so bad he had him cause a planet to explode and turned him evil. His Justice League was the worst one of the team ever. Heck, tgis is the same guy that made Billy Batson edgy. He's going to ruin the films.

WB should have gotten someone like Joss Whedon.

It's not too late.

All you need is one great movie and a good one after that.

I agree to a small extent. You don't need to explain why Superman doesn't destroybuildings or Batman stopped killing people. Just have Superman hugging people and Batman not using guns. Ignore the shittyness and move on already.

Dawn of the Dead was pretty good.
And fuck you I liked Watchmen.

Never saw Man of Steel, BVS or 300 but I did see Suckerpunch. Aside from some things, That movie sucked dick and I wouldn't want to watch it ever again.

Not even for a laugh at the big Mayor scene.

>year of our lord 2016
>trusting Johns

poor dcmoviebabys

Not reports from WB you dumbasses. From people with inside knowledge. That report was just from a disgruntled former employee.

>never saw MoS

You are missing the best fight scenes in capes. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just an autist that wanted to see Superman "take damage."

youtube.com/watch?v=cZ12ghCqO3o

WHERE DID YOU TRAIN?!

>So Tony Stark and young RDJ?
Not really in the same way though.

I mean, I get what you mean, but Guy is more boisterous and obnoxious than Tony Stark or young RDJ.

from which movie is this?