Which comic books have really good fight scenes and/or action? Nowadays, most seem really static poses

Which comic books have really good fight scenes and/or action? Nowadays, most seem really static poses.

Not sure if pic related.

Other urls found in this thread:

michelfiffe.com/?p=3869
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Revolution hasn't even started but yeah, it's probably going to be amazing anyways considering how good the preview was.

The DC He-Man comics had a lot of good battle scenes.

I honestly hate splash pages.

Same. My eyes just glaze over

nothing else even comes close

It is all about finding the comics and artists who are really into delivering on action.

Most mainstream comics view action at least to me as a chore something to get through to get back to the writing.

However there are gems out there.

That is funny

They're nice when they're either detailed as fuck (i.e. with things the readers will actually want to pay attention to and remember) or, bare minimum, actual "splashes" -- big, explosive, and/or exciting things.

I recommend Copra, too.

I like how JoJo and SCUD do action.

It seems to flow way better. I don't even process the action in most comics. It always sounds like people perceive it really clear and fluid, like a movie. Does anyone ACTUALLY do that?

Personally not, that's why I made the thread.

Maybe it's because I am a pleb that reads mostly Marvel, but I feel that, nowadays, mainstream comics have pretty much lame action. How can they talk so much if they are supposed to be fighting? And they're extremely expositional like

>You must be wondering why you can't use your powers. I just dissolved radioactive nanobots in your morning coffee to weaken you for this moment!

TL;DR: I am mostly unable to perceive action sequences in a fluid motion in mainstream comic.

Well done action, 100% when it is flowing great it is like nothing else.

Comics also free you up in terms of action from the constraints of film in really cool ways

Actually a lot of 80's comics have great action, because writers knew to let the art stand on its own sometimes, and also because stories were significantly less decompressed and each page had to be important.

This is actually the exact example I meant to post

I was the same way when I was getting into comics, I wasn't sure I was reading them correctly because the action scenes felt like a blur, it passed over time and I learned to trust my eyes and brain reading the stuff and now well done action in comics is what I mainly come to them for. Motion and Flow is the best in comics.

Decompression has little to do with good action

that spread is incredible

For the current generation I think people like Michel Fiffe, Frank Quietly, and James Harren are doing some of the best action

Fiffie has this neat write up on artists he thinks excel at fight scenes

michelfiffe.com/?p=3869

Damn, that was dope.

Who is the artist for this one?

Geof Isherwood

It is middle period Suicide Squad

Wimberly is great at it when his comics are about it

There is always Quitely too

Which is why I am glad he is working with Millar right now

But Millar's layouts are sooo boring. Quitely shines with Morrison.

Millar doesn't do layouts what are you talking about?

Anyway yeah We3 is fantastic but generally I prefer Quitely when he isn't working with Morrison

> Millar's layouts

You mean "draw fight scene"

Sorry, I meant that Quitely's layouts with Millar are boring as fuck. He needs Morrison's guiding hand to truly shine.

I disagree I think his stuff on Jupiter's has a lot more in it than his recent Morrison Collaborations

Seriously?

And don't even get me started on Jupiter's drab colors.

I think some of the best stuff Quitely does is perspective and distance and scale ala I didn't see a lot of that in Pax personally.

Those scenes look very flat compared to when he is at best, they are still good mind you but yeah I prefer Jupiter's

Maybe it is a Morrison thing because outside of a few specific examples with a few very specific artists his comics are never what I would call action packed.

source?

Ironwolf: Fires of the Revolution

Eh. Stuff happens, but there's not much panel-to-panel fluidity.

Moon Knight, especially issue 5. The entire issue is basically one big fight scene.

IDW TMNT

There doesn't have to be, your mind is not supposed to be passive and be given all the information in this case.

It fills in the gaps

Sorry, but do you have a source or would you be willing to post a link? I can't find it.

Jojo is great, but outside of Part 7 and maybe Part 8 it has shit flow. It all feels slowed down, turning 2-5 minute beat downs into 20 minute chess games.

If Jojo happened in real time it's be a confusing clusterfuck.

Not anymore the only like I ever had to it was a KAT torrent link

It is a Howard Chaykin comic if that helps your search

It is a good thing it is a comic then isn't it :)

Batgirl Vol. 1

Bat Man and his stand.

it will forever piss me off that every adaption fucks up Joseph's catchphrase.

As it's written, it only makes sense if he goes 'Your next line is..." and then says they're next line beat for beat as they say it. If he says it before they do, and they don't realize he did until after they finish saying the line themself, it just doesn't work

Infinite Kung Fu
Dungeon Quest

Read The Humans.

>not 'Batman fights off Hangudo Man'