>time zones are still a thing
why?

Other urls found in this thread:

oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/international-date-line.html
time.is/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what should replace them?

Mixed race time zones

A Coordinated Universal Time which would serve the purpose of a primary time standard by which the world regulates clocks and time. It would be within about 1 second of mean solar time at 0° longitude and not observe daylight saving time.

>A coordinated universal time

So just what we have now?

Is GMT-6 really more convenient than having both GMT and EST? What the fuck is wrong with your brain Canada? Get your shit together mate

No yelling in my thread

Timezones are the only thing that give time meaning beyond an arbitrary number.

Sorry

>Timezones are the only thing that give time meaning beyond an arbitrary number.
This is not true, it is arbitrary as is
there is nothing more "morning-ish" about 6 AM than there is about 4 PM
People will just get used to knowing that daylight starts at a different time in some place

I would be fine if this Universal time was defined such that normal morning time was over the pacific ocean or something so no country would get a benefit except hawaii, or even better, hawaii equinox sunrise could just be defined as 6:00 AM or something, that would make it easy. Sunrise in Hawaii at the Equinox is 6:15 AM currently.

WHY THO?

You people can't be bothered to switch to metric but want the rest of the world to adjust to your time standard?

desu we learn metric in school we're just more familiar with the imperial system.

The reason standard time zones were introduced in the first place was because of the need to standardize time. If were to only rely on local solar time, every fucking village would have their own loca time, which is a completely unsustainable system in today's world of instant communicatio and very fast travel. Therefore, it's necessary to just have an arbitrary system. The exact management of timezones could certainly be better, but the basic idea is hard to improve upon.

In a world with timezones I say 12:00 and you know what time of day I'm talking about.
In a word without timezones I say whatever the fuck time and it's complete worthless without also knowing the sunrise/sunset for that specific area and then also doing the math.

ya good luck getting 200+ countries to unanimously agree which one gets to day time during the day

it werks

>not observe daylight saving time
wrong it should be permanent daylight savings

Damn, she's hitting the wall hard , diamond hard

heres a 2 month old pic

>WHY THO?
timezones just complicate things and aren't necessary
you should be asking why time zones are a thing in the first place, not the other way around

I think if an international committee decided on some single longitude to declare as the 12AM line that would be fine
in fact, one exists already
oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/international-date-line.html

that's not true in the slightest
all of china is under one time zone
does every village in china use some local time? no, I don't even know what you mean by that
the only thing this results in is differences to the sunrise and sunset time, and honestly, who gives a shit about that? it simplifies everything else
it would be the same thing if this was expanded to the world

You know, now that I think about it, that is a valid point
I guess we just have to consider whether the ability to intuitively understand what time is noon vs the simplification of having one timezone is more valuable

honestly I still think having one time zone would be better for these reasons -
major simplification of time, so everyone knows that 6 AM 6/6/2018 is ONE time
the issue of what time is sunset or sunrise doesn't matter that much. Just like how everyone needs to know their local time zone now, they would just learn need to know when is their local noon. It's not that big of a deal because most people spend 99% of their time in one timezone anyways. In addition - noon isn't even constant NOW. I think the time when the sun is at 90 degrees for me is around 11 AM.

I said SOLAR time you idiot.

Anything other than solar time is inevitably arbitrary to some extent, and solar time by fucking definition cannot be the same for all of China. In fact, it's the exact opposite: China is a notorious example of the adverse effects of overly-uniform time zones, given how the western provinces have completely ridiculous hours in regards to their local solar time (because their clocks follow Beijing time).

no bullying in my thread please

because I don't want it to be midday and the sun is nowhere to be seen yet

also all the poetry that mentions time would not work anymore
I love me my Robert Frost

only if you show me your pantsu

>because I don't want it to be midday and the sun is nowhere to be seen yet
that time is just arbitrary

there's nothing "midday" about 12 AM. It's just noon because that's what time we set to be around noon

but seriously though what did I say that didn't refer to mean solar time?

UTC would be even better, why not just have everyone use one UTC time rather than having time zones - what is your issue with China's system? What are these adverse effects?

>What are these adverse effects?
Imagine if people on the West Coast lived their lives on East Coast time. Morning would literally start in the middle of the night as far as actual sunlight is concerned.

Yes but if you fly somewhere, you basically have to quickly relearn all the times, like when to wake up, go to bed, asf.
Moreover times (especially within the 12 hour system) have meanings ascribed to them now and this is good for talking about them to others
like "oh man I was up till three AM"

>Imagine if people on the West Coast lived their lives on East Coast time. Morning would literally start in the middle of the night as far as actual sunlight is concerned.

I live on the west coast and would be fine with that

yeah, but you have to do that anyways already, and that's not even taking into account all the issues that having timezones injects into the world

acclimating to differences in the connotation of various times to times of day is a reasonable compromise for having one set global time

I don't think you realize how beneficial that would be user

What would really be beneficial about it?
You would still have jetlag and there already is a Universal Coordinated Time for computers

May it's fine for you waking up at 11pm or the sun setting at 2 in the morning but you still haven't answered the question of why exactly? What exactly are the failings of the current system? If it ain't broke and all that

>What exactly are the failings of the current system
let's say you work for a company that needs a delivery of some shit at 3 PM

so you call up your delivery guy in idaho and say I need those potatoes in oregon by 3 pm

does he leave at 3 pm to get there at 3 pm? It's just a dumbshit system to have fucking lines after which the time just changes by an hour

there is no need for it, it would be far less retarded if you just knew "yeah, the sun rises at 12am here"

The Earth is still round. And even for flat earthers the sun goes to different places.
Instead of forcing people to do follow something unpractical you can use an app or a site like time.is/ to know the local time.

Or.... Just add the phrase "my time"... "What time are the potatoes getting in Ed?" "3 pm my time"

if you don't agree with me

you are wrong

it's that simple

Fucking this all the way. Gr8 post m8.