Realistically speaking

realistically speaking,
could a live action dragonball Z movie actually work?

I love DBZ, I really do, but a live action adaptation would never work.

The best they could do is a CGI only movie (FF style).

Only if it's a Frat Pack film with Owen Wilson as Goku and Ben Stiller as Vegeta.

Why would you want one?

no. it would never work. original series Dragonball would be even harder to adapt.

I want to ____ that Frieza.

Vince Vaughn as Krillin

Combat in Dragon Ball is Jackie Chan tier. Yes, easily.

THICC

No, but I wish they would do more movies. BoG and RoF were great, and I loved the quality of the animation.
When I heard Super was coming, I was hoping it would be similar to the movies in quality, but boy, was I wrong.

nobody is dumb enough to try again

>I am Goku, I am Oozaru. To become one I must be two
Hmm rly made me think

Special effects are too expensive. It would need like 400 million $ budget. This is the main problem with most action anime adaptations.

The second problem is, why the fuck would you even want it? It's 100% guaranteed to be worse than original. Literally every Hollywood remake is inferior.

The people who made this could do it.

love

make me go extinct papi

Joe Brogan is the perfect body type/build for a live action Frieza

>Owen Wilson as Goku
>Powering up
>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>HEEEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
>wow!

No. I don't watch anime so I can't speak to what its general state is nowadays. But I watched Dragonball Z, and if you look past the meme aspect of the whole "charge energy and stall for ten episodes" thing, I have a feeling that anime in general does a lot of its storytelling through internal monologues, which often take place in this weird, sort of suspended timeframe. Like you'll hear an internal monologue lasting two minutes over an action that wouldn't take five seconds. Now, anime films exist and they don't all do this. Like if you watch, say, any mainstream anime like Miyazaki, you won't have these long internal monologues that take place outside of any realistic frame of time and space. You'll have a pretty traditional sort of timeline stitched together with pretty traditional continuity and structural editing. But the only anime shows I know, Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and Attack on Titan, are way too fucking dependant on that kind of storytelling to work as a conventional film. Maybe there's a way to adapt it, but you have to be realistic and remember that this is a big-budget Hollywood-scale property we're talking about here, so no room for art or inventiveness here. From what I can tell, anime would be even tougher to adapt than superhero shit, and we've all seen how many people have failed miserable trying their hands at that.

Normies meme about Nolan adapting anime, and while I have to concede that the guy comes across as someone who can really play the Hollywood game and speak the studios' language while racking up success after success, the problem with anime is that it's so reliant on visuals that even Nolan won't be able to adapt it, even in "spirit". With comics it's always more about character arcs, popular stories, big iconic moments, that sort of shit. Say what you want about Nolan, I think he got successful with Batman because he chose his story ideas from all sorts of Batman stories pretty well. So in a sense, he managed to get away saying that he captured the spirit of the property. Not saying how is the definitive take or even a good one. Just that it's coherent and clearly guided by one vision. But anime I feel is so much about the visuals that he wouldn't be able to make it work. The good stuff I remember about anime isn't about the set pieces, it's about the character arcs and the literal, actual artwork, at least as far as I know. Nolan can't nail the visuals cuz he's too grounded in doing things practically. But I could see him definitely doing well with convoluted story arcs and the scale of a big anime property. But to go back to your question, I definitely can't think of anyone who could make it all work and actually make a good DBZ film.

Not really. I mean, it has 9-film series written all over it but a lot of it just wouldn't translate. You'd have to strip it down a lot.
First film would set up the main cast and culminate with the fight with Raditz, second would deal with Vegeta and getting to Namek, third would be Frieza.
Fourth film would be King Cold coming to earth (no cyborg Frieza) culminating in Future Trunks arriving just in time to defeat him, fifth would be Androids and Imperfect Cell, sixth would be Semi-Perfect and Cell Games.
Seventh film would be the tournament with Majinn Vegeta happening, eighth would be Dabura and Fat Buu, ninth part 1 would be Kid Buu, ninth part 2 would be Super Buu. You get all the crap that goes with it in the final trilogy; Gotenks, Vegito, Buu/Mr. Satan, etc.
It would be heavy on CGI and the fight choreography would need to be perfect and interesting. Skip power levels and Super Saiyan forms past 1, they should only be super saiyan and it should only happen rarely and cost a lot.
It also needs a careful balance of humor and drama that I don't think Hollywood can pull off without lazily quipping.

Also forgot to mention that I've noticed a lot of emoting in anime is done in the most efficient way possible. Like they'll just animate a few lines on the face to change expression, as opposed to Western Disney based animation, which relies on huge action lines and just being "big" about its expressivity. Not saying anime is better for bring subtle or anything, I honestly don't know why it is the way it is. But you'll notice that a lot of the times the animation itself won't be super complicated or "busy". A character will have an angry expression, and maybe the camera will move across their face, and you'll hear some angry inner monologue or some shit, but the actual animation on the face will be incredibly straightforward. There won't be a lot going on. It won't be like a Disney film where there's like twenty fucking things happening to make the whole scene as vibrant as possible. If you make a live action adaptation of that, you'll end up with something that looks incredible stake cuz you can't just stare at an actor's face for longer than five seconds without it starting to feel unnatural, especially if it's holding the same expression. And when you inevitably film it like a regular movie, it'll end up feeling different from anime for that very reason.

>Incredible stake
Meant to write incredibly stale

I always think he's the guy in the Jesus of Suburbia music video. I'm about 80% sure he's not.

>could a live action dragonball Z movie actually work?
No.
Dragon Ball by that point is so ridiculously drawn-out that it's a joke.
Old timey DB could possibly work, but we know hot that turned out.

No, you can't do comic book exaggeration with real actors, it just doesn't work. It works in universe because the characters aren't that detailed, and physics and anatomy is thrown to the wind in favour of more exciting battles or the slapstick comedy.

Series like Kenshin work in live action because you can strip back the limited super powers and make it a more flashy samurai film. Most shonen action series, hell most action series from Japan just won't work. The reason they are so popular is they totally go against realism to craft their own interesting worlds and way of problem solving that is harder for the viewer to predict what will come up next.

I watched this movie recently and it was actually pure kino. Keep being a sheep though

Everything can work, but good witers and directors are not interested in such stuff, which is sad. It's risky too.

Vince Vaughn as Piccolo dummy

Start with dragon ball, make it goku training with roshi until first martial arts tournament.

Sequel: goku vs piccolo.

Studios try to play safe and look at the results. Half of big movies are flops.

kek

Nobody wants to see cringy dumbass fucking kid actors in main roles. Remember Avatar?

But they problems in Super were already apparent in BoG and full-blown in RoF. Super just continued the decline.

It already did, it was called Man Of Steel.

Bulma was hot as fuck though.
I literally watched the entire movie for her(and enjoyed it because of her).
Couldn't tell you what it was about though.
I think Picollo was the villain.

Why
They made a movie primarily of people sitting or standing in ships
No hand to hand fight scenes
No energy waves
I understand that you like gotg2 but that doesn't mean gunn is some director savant

No one is going to read your three post essay faggot