Why the fuck don't Marvel and/or DC both try experimenting with Japanese-style toku superheroes in their universes...

Why the fuck don't Marvel and/or DC both try experimenting with Japanese-style toku superheroes in their universes? Has anyone ever tried writing American-style superheroes interacting with earnest Japanese-style henshin heroes?

Does blue beetle count?
He's basically Mexican kamen rider imo

they don't rip off from outside sources, only each other

Thing about Blue Beetle and similar heroes who sort of 'transform' into their alter egos is, they have the henshin part down and may even have similar costumes, but otherwise in spirit, they're entirely Western.

I'm talking about going full toku. Even have a stand-in Power Rangers team, give each of them different colors, their own unique weapons, signature attacks, roll calls, martial arts ability, and so on.

there's kind of an unavoidable hurdle in that
see, tokusatu is something that evolved out of live action. the helmets help you conceal the stuntman and you don't have to reshoot if someone made the wrong face or something during a big difficult-to-choreograph fight scene. Fight scenes are really expensive for that, and masks help.
In the first place, Battle Fever J WAS meant to be pseudo-adapting Marvel. Sorta mixing the avengers concept with the multi-ethnic x-men sorta concept already used by Cyborg 009, but using the AESTHETIC of Kikaider, or going back even further, Ultraman, etc. So in the minds of kids in the late 70s, sentai was the live action version of superhero comics, just like gundam was the animated version of star wars.

in western shit we need to see the faces all the time. we have much more of a concept of individuality, of emotion, shit they don't have as much in good ol' robotic nihon. That means helmets, practical as they are, are not on the menu. So when you try, you get creepy-looking shit like blue beetle or batman beyond, where the face somehow moves despite being a mask

Batman Japan is basically a Kamen Rider

Eh, there have been Kamen Rider, Kikaider, etc., manga and there are PR comic books now.

I really don't think it'd be that big of a deal if they were just minor characters as a way of pointing fun at the toku genre.

>I'm talking about going full toku. Even have a stand-in Power Rangers team, give each of them different colors, their own unique weapons, signature attacks, roll calls, martial arts ability, and so on.
You know, the Shazam family pretty much has that down by now.

>You know, the Shazam family pretty much has that down by now.
Signature attacks whose name they call out? Unique weapons? Martial arts ability?

Though frankly, Johns' Shazam family did have a sort of PR vibe, sure.

Doesn't this count? If it wasn't for this, there wouldn't be modern toku as we know it.

I know what you intended to post, but you know that's wrong, right?

This shit's bugging out on me.

What the fuck is that?

Ah, nvm.

>Japanese Spider-Man
>mech is themed after a jaguar

Kamen Rider and Super Sentai both started before this.

I mean, functionally, the nature of a Japanese TV superhero is kind of defined by the format, same way american comics superheroes are.

Trying to put one inside the other just takes away from what makes one special.

It's like that Power Rangers comic Boom is doing. Don't they fight street crime and shit in it? What the hell's that all about? Go become a cop if you want to fight regular crime! Power Rangers are supposed to stop freaky monsters! Transforming to stop a mugger is like using rhino tranquilizer to get sedate a rowdy baby.

>themed after a jaguar
no it was just named that.
to japan that basically meant 'really cool fast car or robot'

jeez, even their spider-man had squinty eyes.
more to the point, in the show they didn't transform for the lower-level problems. that was the point of hiring martial artists as 'actors'

Marvel and DC's depictions of Japan and its culture are pretty cliche already. Do you really think they'd sincerely attempt to make a toku-style comic that isn't just a hodge-podge of anime cliches?

Japanese Spider-Man DID start the trend of giant robots in sentai though. Although I'm pretty sure it's just Super Sentai that does the mecha thing.

>Trying to put one inside the other just takes away from what makes one special.
But Ishinomori's Kamen Rider manga is seen as a classic and came out around the same time as the television show. And he also drew and wrote a manga based on Kikaider as well, which has also gotten at least one tv anime iirc. And then there's Kamen Rider Spirits too.

I mean, you're not entirely wrong but it's not like it's impossible to translate that sort of thing to comic books.

>It's like that Power Rangers comic Boom is doing. Don't they fight street crime and shit in it? What the hell's that all about?
I'm not sure about the main PR comic (although I'm pretty sure you're wrong) but the Pink Ranger spinoff has her taking on monsters and Goldar, so you're wrong there.

There's also those Kamen Rider SIC stories.

why try and make a western thing un-western?

it's like saying "why can't Lara Croft be more like Indiana Jones?"

you can have japanese stuff like Power Rangers inspire western media, but dont really expect it to be similar outside of the surface. Japan and the West have different sensibilities and different ideas on how superheroes work.

He's actually right though, Marvel and DC have no idea how to make Japanese superheroes when they actually do include them.
Usually they just do generic garbage.

>it's like saying "why can't Lara Croft be more like Indiana Jones?"
uh, user?

I'm writing a comic that involves both western and toku style superheroes. They aren't the focus of the book, but they do meet towards the end, and I expect there will be an entertaining moment or scene that will deliver what you seem to want. Too bad for you I'll never finish it.

is supaidaman worth watching?

>Too bad for you I'll never finish it.
Man, I know that feel. Let's get off our asses and finish our work, user!

It did have a massive influence on both, to be fair.

I just think it'd be interesting to see genuinely Japanese superheroes and Western superheroes interact. All the attempts at making Japanese heroes in the Big 2 have been cringey as fuck. It'd be nice to see an actual Japanese-style hero(es) interacting with Western superheroes, comparing notes, that sort of thing.

It's a pretty shitty comparison, since Lara Croft is basically just a female Indiana Jones anyway.

>Why the fuck don't Marvel and/or DC both try experimenting with Japanese-style toku superheroes in their universes? Has anyone ever tried writing American-style superheroes interacting with earnest Japanese-style henshin heroes?

Why would they?

Contrary to what you think, SS/KR as live action shows frankly doing horribly ratings wise and are only buoyed by toy sales, which are dependent large on the whims of fate and children. The further kiddification of KR is something even the person in charge of it at Toei has taken note of and denounced as >not muh rider. Live action weekly special effects tokusatsu as a model is a failure given in Japan the stakeholders are desperately trying to change the formula or to further diversify (KR Amazons) as they lose more of the ratings pie and have to further cede influence and creative control to agents of Bandai.

DC should lend the rights for their characters out to Toei. I can easily imagine Blue Beetle Japan or GL Japan shows. Even Shazam is good for it.

yeah. and theyre both american.
>that first thing
i thought OP meant they wanted to see henshin heroes. like, i'm all for that, but it involves the kind of magical technology that is kind of out of place in most big 2 shit.
i would love it if someone related to wonder woman had magical armor with a vocal command, i'd love some kind of ancient atlantean magitech shit that works that way, or something even akin to zordon or something creating this with his alien technology. I mean we have the makluan rings, the power cosmic, all that kinda shit. .. but they'd have to be explicitly alien in that way, not just some guy that wears a spandex suit and a pvc helmet.

it's their own fault for kiddifying shit when kids want shit to be mature and cool, especially in their robots.
just make the robots cool and you can print money.

Jesus this depresses me.

>spider-man had squinty eyes.
apparently this was done to hide the actors eyes better in fear large white eyes would be see through in certain lights

It's not exactly rocket science.
>lots of moving parts
>lots of cool things they can do. parts that pop out. don't fucking skimp on the toy, damn the expense. plastic prices are lower than they've been in a long time.
>for that matter, other shit the toy doesn't have. eye beams, ice breath, that sorta stuff.
>themed on something great like a dinosaur or something, not something gay like a train
>combined form has good articulation and proportions, individual parts don't look like disembodied limbs

He looks like he wouldn't be able to see at all
are the visors in super sentai actually transparent like sunglasses so they can see? because I know the older more ultraman type stuff sure as fuck left the actor blind

it took Chris Burnham to get him there. But yes.

Never going to happen, but I would LOVE to see this kind of thing, just to see what the Japanese could do with it.

Not toku but I'd love to see anime adaptations of some of their other heroes, like Superman or Zatanna too. I think they could do some crazy shit with that.

>i thought OP meant they wanted to see henshin heroes.
I do.

>but it involves the kind of magical technology that is kind of out of place in most big 2 shit.
It's not really COMPLETELY out of place. So far as the Big 2 go, basically anything goes as it is. I mean, you have shit like Alan Scott's ring, which basically IS magical technology already.

Just give it to Morrison and he'd probably do something really awesome with it. And yes, I know he made Super Young Team and that other team from FC, but at least those were better than most of the prior Japanese superheroes.

fff they had a perfectly serviceable outfit already.. and what's with not-hawkgirl?

let's put it this way
treating that magical technology as if it's NORMAL technology, is out of place. and that's kind of part and parcel of the whole 'wonder of science' thing that makes 70s style japanese shit work. Cutey Honey is neat because she's a real android someone built, with the power of love in her heart and some kind of crazy reactor that changes her hair and clothes and abilities to different modes. also titties.

the western adaptations of sentai add in all this alien insanity, but i mean, zyuranger was just about aliens from the moon attacking the descendants of dinosaurian royalty

anyway speaking of japanese weirdness, check this out. not exactly up to japan's usual mecha standards. that cat looks welded together, an immobile statue

You don't even know how much I love that Batsuit.

You don't know how upset I am that we'll NEVER get a Batman comic or manga that essentially re-uses that concept.

>it's their own fault for kiddifying shit when kids want shit to be mature and cool, especially in their robots.
>just make the robots cool and you can print money.

That is absolutely wrong. The cool mature shows failed even harder. Timeranger and Gobusters the two SS shows people consider the more mature ones failed hard in sales. At one time Timeranger was considered the biggest commercial failure of the 00 era and Gobuster was singled for criticism by the head of Bandai and ignored entirely by Saban and PR and was a ratings failure. It's just that the toyetic less mature ones like Kyoryuger or Gaoranger made a lot more money.

Likewise with KR the shows that were popular or made the most money were kid friendly and comedic ones like Fourze and Den-O. Meanwhile the era of experimentation (Blade/HibikeKabuto) were considered a trilogy of failure with hibike having the head producer/writer getting blacklisted/fired from their jobs.

>dat umbrella
fuck I want it

>kids want shit to be mature and cool
kids want trading cards, that shit is paper crack to them. My nephew had a religious experience today when he got a Pokemon booster pack with a Mega Charizard inside. It's why KR Decade was full of that same nonsense.

>something gay like a train
Japan has a huge goddamned fetish for its own rail system.

Eh, (Jaime's) Blue Beetle got the whole "use the power of the villains against them" thing that's been a part of pretty much every Kamen Rider (Kamen Rider 1 escaping Shocker brainwashing, W using Gaia Memories through their Double Driver, OOO using Greeed medals, Agito using the holy power of the White Overlord, etc.)

i mean, it's terrible for a big, thickly built bruce wayne sort.. but it's awesome for an agile lightly built ninja
>shows people consider the more mature ones
i didn't say that, I said ARE more mature and cool. especially from the perspective of kids. toyetic and mature go together hand in hand. i refuse to believe anything stupid and goofy ever made money.

>treating that magical technology as if it's NORMAL technology, is out of place
Is it really? DC and Marvel both have treated that sort of crazy zaniness with a sort of nonchalant, "It's no big deal," manner before. Plenty of writers have had characters point out that they live in a world where superheroes are seen as normal, where the pervasion of superheroes is such that there are superhero conventions and whatnot, where people aren't even SURPRISED to see weird shit like mermaids and such anymore.

But then, you also have lots of weird comic book super science where characters create or deal with loads of weird shit, all the time, to the point where it phases nobody, it being treated with a real sense of wonder. Just look at Reed Richards. In that context, Japanese weirdness isn't that far out of left field either.

Well yeah dude, their trains are awesome. they LOOK like robots. Bullet train transformers are awesome.
Fucking thomas the tank engine oldtimey-ass english trains are not cool. At all.

Bullet trains look like shit desu

If you don't see the difference between reed richards superscience and henshin science, then I dunno what to say to you

No, THIS is a Jaguar.

That one's clearly inspired by a Leopard.

>If you don't see the difference between reed richards superscience and henshin science, then I dunno what to say to you
I'm going to be straight up with you:

I honestly kind of don't. There's a difference, sure, but it's not THAT big of one.

Speaking of cards, I'm sad we never got an American version of Kamen Rider Blade. Mostly because I would be able to buy a Rouser Card deck for less than 300 dollaridoos. I just want to commit solitaire with monster cards.

Shark-Man was a bit like that.

>i didn't say that, I said ARE more mature and cool. especially from the perspective of kids. toyetic and mature go together hand in hand. i refuse to believe anything stupid and goofy ever made money.

Don't talk about shit you don't know, user. That guy was telling you that the more sillier series made more money that the serious cool ones, which were considered financial failures.

Yes

It's super low budget, has lots of recycled footage, corny writing and bizarrely choreographed fights. All of this forms the perfect storm to be a blast and a half to watch.

I'm not sure if you're trying to imply that Cliff Chang's sketches were ever an official look, but pic related is what Batman Japan looked like before Burnham.

Also
>not knowing who Crazy Shy Lolita Canary is
Pleb

>Mostly because I would be able to buy a Rouser Card deck for less than 300 dollaridoos. I just want to commit solitaire with monster cards.

I was so fucking excited for a western Go-Busters adaptation so I could grab the toys without worrying about international shipping prices or anything like that. Fuck Saban.

Holy shit, that looks like the bastard child of Ultraman and Kamen Rider Amazon

I really hate this costume. Honestly, I feel like, what is it even going for?

Speaking of Amazons, I heard Amazons' getting an official sub release in the West (still exclusively on Amazon, of course). I hope this leads to Toei doing more international releases, and maybe pulling a Sunrise and putting some shows directly on youtube, subbed and all

it is kinda weird that Japanese heroes in both Marvel and DC are for the most part just ripoffs of American heroes instead of being more like the hero concepts Japan actually has, really is a shame since Japan has a superhero tradition just as rich and long lived as the US(in fact even older as Ogon Bat was created in the early 30's compared to the late 30's when the Golden Age started in the US)

Fuck, I don't need another shitstorm of people not getting the ending of the first season

What is there not to get? It's the ending of the first season, of course they leave shit open to be explored in season 2, and most of it was straightforward anyway.

As a toku autist it annoys me when people say that Supaidaman made Tokusatsu. Tokusatsu as in super heroes dates back to the 50s, and in terms of popular ones, many were already successful, Ultraman, Super Sentai, and Kamen Rider. By the time Supaidaman was airing, Kamen Rider was already incredibly successiful and on V3. Sure, it gave Sentai the mecha gimmick, which helped increase popularity, and potentially saved Sentai, sure. but it's very much possible that Battle Fever J could have been a success without it.
Supaidaman is important but its importance is way over blown.

>it's like saying "why can't Lara Croft be more like Indiana Jones?"

That question could equally be "why can't Lara Croft be like she was at the start?"

Shaolin monk Zorro, looks like

marvel already did a kamen rider comic.

Fuck, that is so perfect. I need a Batman manga in the style of Gatchaman/Kamen Rider/Kikaider.

>Godzilla vs. Megalon was originally Jet Jaguar vs. Megalon, with a series planned if it was popular

Fuck.

>not something gay like a train
>not liking IMAGINATIOOOOOON
kys plzthx

Holy fuck that's a cool costume.

>Batman gauntlets
>Mortal Kombat Fatalities
Is this shit worth watching muggas?

If you want to wait, they're going to make official English subs for American Amazon Prime.

I am not in the US so I can't use Amazon Prime

Then fuck off.

So Liveman and Jetman were flops right?

I think it was because of what happened in 95.

Quick, user.
You're put in the world of your favorite comic company, with only the clothes on your back and your choice of toku transformation device. Which do you choose and why? What do you do with it?

Pls no bully

I'll bully whoever I want.

Man, you're dumb.

Because bandai would be sue them, they fucking sued an indie game because it reminded them of power rangers

That was Saban.

is it just the base device, or are we allowed to have the upgrades too?

Base device, but you can get the upgrades over time.
Or you can skip the base form and go for an upgrade if it uses a different transformation device.

I never got what was meant to be spider-like about that robot.

Now go and tell that to the old coots at Nintendo who make Mario and Metroid as blandly 3-year old friendly as possible, thus killing all future in the company.

Older japs have narmy designs as a problem across the board.

It has spider webs on it.

No, it's pretty rubbish. Some of the kid friendly shows do a better job of being a 'grown up' superhero show. Amazons has all the writing problems that the normal modern shows suffer from plus added grit + edge.

I wonder how it feels to have taste that shitty.

>thigh-high boots
>soft, rounded, child-like forehead
>no utility belt
>emphasis on science rather than detective work
>useless teen floppy hair
The illustrator has good basic design skills, but their sensibilities suck balls.

It's supposed to look like an old anime design.

I tried writing something like this myself once.
It had crystals,kaiju and other fun stuff too, i should go back to that one.

The boots, high-cut trouser hems and bare ankles are a big mistake, as is the lack of bat imagery. However, this is remarkably workable.

Artist here, post some contact fagets

It's no secret that Japan loves to do "tributes" over either working on their own thing or doing anything original.

Right, on it's KNEES. The most spidery of body-parts.

It kind of is actually, when you think about it.

He also has one on his groin.

At that it succeeded, but that doesn't mean it's a good Batman. It could easily have been both.