Alan Moore is retiring

Goodnight sweet prince

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=tgwtg
factsprovidence.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

40 years late for someone who never wrote a good comic in his life.

fucking finally

>After writing some of the most famous and critically acclaimed comic books of all time, including Watchmen, V for Vendetta, From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, Alan Moore has confirmed that he is retiring from the medium.

>At a press conference in London for his latest work, Jerusalem, a weighty novel named after William Blake’s poem exploring the history of Moore’s native Northampton through several lives, Moore said he had “about 250 pages of comics left in me”.

>He added: “And those will probably be very enjoyable. There are a couple of issues of an Avatar [Press] book that I am doing at the moment, part of the HP Lovecraft work I’ve been working on recently. Me and Kevin will be finishing Cinema Purgatorio and we’ve got about one more book, a final book of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen to complete. After that, although I may do the odd little comics piece at some point in the future, I am pretty much done with comics.”

>The decision came, Moore explained, when he realised he felt too comfortable in the medium. “I think I have done enough for comics. I’ve done all that I can. I think if I were to continue to work in comics, inevitably the ideas would suffer, inevitably you’d start to see me retread old ground and I think both you and I probably deserve something better than that,” he said.

>“So, the things that interest me at the moment are the things I don’t know if I can do, like films, where I haven’t got a clue what I am doing, or giant literary novels. Things I wasn’t sure I’d even have the stamina to finish … I know I am able to do anything anyone is capable of doing in the comic book medium. I don’t need to prove anything to myself or anyone else. Whereas these other fields are much more exciting to me. I will always revere comics as a medium. It is a wonderful medium.”

From comics, OP. Now we can get fishrape novels too.

Someone get Grant Morrison on the phone.

>In a passage of Jerusalem, one character reflects: “He never looks at comics these days, even though they’ve become fashionable to the point where adults are allowed to read them without fear of ridicule. Ironically, in David’s view, this makes them a lot more ridiculous than when they were intended as a perfectly legitimate and often beautifully crafted means of entertaining kids.”

>Moore acknowledged this was “probably an author’s message”. He said: “I am sure there is probably a very good reason for the hundreds of thousands of adults who are flocking to see the latest adventures of Batman, but I for one am a little in the dark for what that reason is.

>“The superhero movies – characters that were invented by Jack Kirby in the 1960s or earlier – I have great love for those characters as they were to me when I was a 13-year-old boy. They were brilliantly designed and created characters. But they were for 50 years ago. I think this century needs, deserves, its own culture. It deserves artists that are actually going to attempt to say things that are relevant to the times we are actually living in. That’s a longwinded way of me saying I am really, really sick of Batman.”

>Moore famously had a falling out with DC Comics, the owners of the Batman character, when he worked with them in the 1980s, over creator’s rights and merchandising. Since then, he has said he wishes his name to be removed from all comic work that he does not own, including Watchmen and V for Vendetta, which both remain properties of DC Comics.

>He is also a vocal critic of Hollywood’s treatment of his comics. At the London press conference, he confirmed that Jerusalem would not be adapted into a film, “or not at least if I have any say in the matter”.

Well that sucks

Goodbye you cranky old fuck

I hope Stan Lee eats your soul with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

>Sup Forums still hating him because he BTFO'd the Big Two
Poor capefags.

>he is retiring from the medium.
Again?

>In 2014, Moore said in an interview that he planned to retire from public life after writing a lengthy rebuttal to online accusations of sexism and racism in his work. “Better that I let my work speak for me, which is all I’ve truthfully ever wanted or expected, both as a writer and as a reader of other authors’ work,” he wrote.

>>not mentioning Providence by name
>>implying the final LOXG book will be published by Vertigo or IDW

Who else saw Alan Moore trending on twitter and first thought "goddamnit, Stan!"?

Moore is more than Stan can chew.

>“So, the things that interest me at the moment are the things I don’t know if I can do, like films

Are we beginning the age of Moorekino?

>“I think I have done enough for comics. I’ve done all that I can. I think if I were to continue to work in comics, inevitably the ideas would suffer, inevitably you’d start to see me retread old ground and I think both you and I probably deserve something better than that,” he said.

I hear you

Go back to bed, Grant.

I don't think he could get a proper full length movie done.
But I really wish he did. The level of detail in his scripts shows the kind of movie he could make. It could be the oldest plot in the world, the most cliched story you can think of. But it would still be quite the sight.

i hate him because he's a unlikeable cunt who pissed all over his friends, acts like a child and hasn't written anything good since the 90's.

Its weird because it seemed like he was finally getting some level of investment in comics again. Oh well, best of luck to the guy.

Moore needs to denounce the Jews now that he is retiring.

LxG, Promethea, Top 10.

>see a random hobo on the streets
>call him alan moore

top 10, promethea, supreme and providence are good
the courtyard is also not bad

>proper full length movie
I can see him making 30-min experimental silents, complete with intertitles and music composed by that bloke from Bauhaus he's friends with.

In his defense, he made up for Neonomicon with Providence. It's genuinely fantastic.

>supreme
Pretty much Alan Moore's All-Star Superman

>hasn't written anything good since the 90's.
Promethea
Tom Strong
Providence

>"So, they say I put rape in all my comics, eh? Well, let's make this one memorable!"

Retiring sounds the same as dying

[SCOTTISH GIBBERISH]

POST FAVORITE MOORE WORK

>I think this century needs, deserves, its own culture. It deserves artists that are actually going to attempt to say things that are relevant to the times we are actually living in.

this coming from the author of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

>That’s a longwinded way of me saying I am really, really sick of Batman.

then just say that in the first place!

Is it true that the Justice League Unlimited Episode that adapted this is the only adaptation of his work Moore endorsed?

>i hate him because he's a unlikeable cunt who pissed all over his friends
Why do you care about people you don't even know?

Always and forever.

A wise man name of Gerard Jones once said, "The comics business is like the CIA; nobody ever leaves it completely." I think Moore is just being his usual cranky self. Some project or another will get stuck in his head and need to be let out sooner or later.

>made up for
Nothing short of self-immolation would do that.

Too bad he never finished it. Fucking Liefeld.

>dat purple jacket
I don't care if I'll look like a fag in it, I want one.

P.S. Just to clarify, that wasn't an insult to Moore. He's just masculine-looking enough to pull it off unlike me.

>hasn't read Providence
Yes, it's that good

There's inconclusive rumors that he also really liked Saturday Morning Watchmen.

Did he ever apologize for Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

This.

Moore's script for that is finally published... in Larsen's fucked-up run.

Suprise Alan Moore Superman run when?

It's one of his few DC works that he actually likes.

Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow shit all over Superman.

Didn't he just start a new horror comic on kickstarter?

because people who do shitty things deserve to be hated dumbass

And I wont be reading it. He lost me with Necronomicon, same as Millar with unfunnies. There are lots of comics I can read no need to settle.

How so?

well that's Multiversity Too spoiled before they even had a chance to print it

thanks Grant

I can't decide. I really like several of his works, but for different reasons.

>settle
providence is fantastic

No, that was the penultimate issue. He never finished writing the actual last issue.

Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow is one of the best Superman stories ever. How does it shit on him?

he says he's got about 250 pages of comics left in him in the OP

he's retiring, not setting fire to his house and office and walking into the sea

Don't care. Necronomicon was too shit for me to bother with him again.

It's a Superman snuff film. It kills Jimmy, and Krypto, and everybody else, and then it kills Superman by making him a killer too. Fuck this book.

>this coming from the author of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Someone else can supply user with the Cliff Notes to LOEG.

He was too good for this shitty industry.

Fan fiction will never be the same.

Alan Moore's Merman in a Manhole when?

You sound like a tgwtg reviewer.

Go back to bed, Byrne.

thats racist. all people should be hated,not just shitty ones.
you fucking manlet faggot dick eater.

a what? The fuck are you talking about

>Necronomicon
Alan Moore is the reincarnation of Abdul Alhazred?

>"I may do the odd little comics piece at some point in the future.”

I wish nothing but the best for that crazy son of a bitch.

This post is almost as edgy as Neonomicon.

HOW? What's his justification for ruining Superman?

You sure you're not thinking of For the Man Who Has Everything? That one is actually good.

>liking edgy Superman stories

I dunno man, Stan's been powering up lately. Soon not even Moore's necronomicon will keep Stan The Man at bay

>Stop liking what I don't like

swamp thing

What the fuck is your problem?

It's only a matter of time, Alan

>ruining superman
Excuse me?

can the wizard beat the lich king

lmgtfy.com/?q=tgwtg

>implying Stan can do shit against a devotee of Glycon

>What's his justification for ruining Superman?
It was supposed to be the very last Superman story.
You don't stop Silver Age Superman without going a long way to do it.

On top of that the whole Mxyzptlk choosing to be different reflects the comics industry moving on from the sillier stuff to a new age of "serious" stuff, full of death and violence.

Read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. Go ahead and read it right now if you don't believe me. You'll be surprised.

>ruining Superman

Wait a second, does that mean that the curse he put in the DCU for making a watchman movie will be lifted ?

This is important

I have. Telling me to read doesn't justify how it's edgy. It clearly didn't ruin Superman because Superman is still around and has had great stories since then.

Stop baiting so hard, user. You're better than this.

>Stop baiting so hard, user. You're better than this.
No, he's not.

Thought he already did years ago

I didn't know he was active.

>he
Talking about yourself in third person isn't healthy, user.

>Read Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.
I have. Now what?

>You're better than this.
All evidence to the contrary?

fuck this gay world

factsprovidence.wordpress.com/

There's a lot better ones out there, but this has the weight of both being an Avatar Press book and from one of the most mediocre artists while turning out to be one of the few Lovecraft follow-ups that knows how to use the genre, it's cliches, and set the right atmosphere.

There is nothing wrong with illeism.

You're right I should hace just typed Fishrape comic. Thank you for correcting me.

Disregard this post, I suck fish cocks.