"Ah, ha ha, *munch, munch* ol' J.R.R., didn't, ah, see you come in! -burp- No please, please, [smack] sit down...

"Ah, ha ha, *munch, munch* ol' J.R.R., didn't, ah, see you come in! -burp- No please, please, [smack] sit down, sit down, there' something we, (pant) need to talk about. *farts* Heavens excuse me, oh ho! Well getting down to 'brass tacks' - or brass tax, I might say SNORT! - yes, well I was sitting, counting the money coming in from, slurp, my show - terribly taxing ah yes? - when the thought occurred me, watching that money from my award-winning show... [belch] from my, (siiippp) award, award, awar... sorry, I lost my breath, award-winning books, that I [chews] that I can't seem to recall you mentioning [more chewing] anything about Gondor's *blows nose* taxation policy. Surely I must have -releases one long wet smelly fart - missed it while glancing through the pages (cough). You did [scratches ballsack] say something about it, right? Sales tax? (sweats) Value-added tax? *licks lips* Don't just sta - oh my my heart - stand there my man, out with it! Surely the, the thought has crossed your mind?! -chuckles until accidental urination-"

[farts again, sniffs]

>Being a hero is hard. This was maybe my answer to Marvel, whom, as much as I admire them, I do quibble with. Marvel had a very childish philosophy: that if the hero was a good man, the villain would be defeated. The hero is good and the villain is evil. We look at real history and it’s not that simple. Marvel can say that the Avengers beat Thanos and everything was fine afterwards, and they were heroic and just. But Marvel doesn’t ask the question: How does the world react to the presence of living gods among men? Do they intervene in foreign wars? What do they do in times of genocide where world powers refuse to intervene? Do they enter and impliment their own justice? Who's justice to they implement? Do they work with America's allies? Even when those allies are guilty of genocide and use of poison gas to murder children in their cradles?

Any pic of RR Martin makes me smell cheese.

trying to answer those questions are one of the reasons comics are shit now

Asking and answering are two different forms of storytelling.
There have been some damn good comics which ask these kinds of layered questions and extend beyond simple entertainment.

I know GRRM gets a lot of flack for the 'tax policy' interview, but he's not being unreasonable. Tolkien was an excellent fantasy storybuilder, and that's where much of his success stemmed from. But he stopped there: he built a fantasy world, with few real-world aspects. GRRM also created a deeply intricate world, but tries to tackle real-world questions, and one way to do that is to demonstrate how very few decisions are made easily.

>GRRM also created a deeply intricate world, but tries to tackle real-world questions
>half a page detailing a prepubescent girl's diarrhea
Ah yes a true visionary

THE

Good writing conveys mood as well as message. He's telling you how she's ill, delirious, might not make it till morning. Did you feel a little sick reading that passage? A little put-off? Offended, perhaps? That was the intent.

That page wouldn't even have registered had the Sup Forums hivemind not made a meme out of it. How much of your reading are you actually doing yourself?

MORE

SHE

*toots*

>le shock-value edge is good writing now

simply ebin my friend

EXACTLY THIS POST! The MCU movies are they only place anyone gets superheroes right any more.

What's the last novel you read?

Blood Meridian. How is that relevant though?

>But he stopped there: he built a fantasy world, with few real-world aspects.
Real wold aspects are relative to the point of view of protagonist. How dinner is made and taxes are collected are below thoughts of king or hero, but when we see world through the eyes of a hobbit he is thinking about ways of rabbit cooking.

I agree, I was shitting on Snyder and Martin

Good work ignoring the crux of my message.

I'm done replying to you.

Sapkowski is better than G.R.R tbqh. But I know that the english translation of his books are trash tier. I read it in spanish and was a wonderful trip. I really have high hopes on the incoming Witcher netflix series.

It's not always about what's being described, but the implications of it. Simple example: it's wartime, every house is either dying or in debt, so why is this lord hosting extravagant meals? Why is this lord not? Sometimes crucial plot details are hidden in these longwinded passages, and sometimes they aren't.

I agree it can get a bit tiring in places, but it's disingenuous to frame the issue as, "GRRM shits on Tolkien for not telling us Aragorn's tax policies." He literally didn't—he's contrasting the two aspects of worldbuilding.

But we're on Sup Forums, so let's just spend our time circlejerking the tax quote meme rather than authentically critiquing literature xD xD