How many films before 1970 have you seen?

How many films before 1970 have you seen?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mm9gUAyO1pU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I used to watch those Road To movies with my dad when I was younger. Road to Morocco was always a favorite of mine.

A bunch, I went through a classic horror phase and cheesy SciFi phase. Those movies are just so comfy to watch.

Idris Elba

Back to r/movies frogposter

all of them.

They suck

I cept for Awrence of Memeia

5% of my total films watched are pre-1970.

2001. I'm really not sure if I've watched any others all the way through. Maybe the original The Fly.

Oh, I've seen classic Disneys, of course.

>I share a board with these plebs

A lot.

I didn't start watching films "on purpose" until this year and I've got plenty on my watchlist. I'm getting there lel.

>The Wizard of Oz
>2001
>The Graduate

3. Exluding Disneyshit

I understand I was in this position a few years ago, godspeed user.

more than i've seen of movies made after 2000

Do you really count how many films before that year have you watched? Do you think watching a film older then 1970 is anything special?
I really don't understand.

The Italian Job
Yojimbo
Monsters Inc
The dollars trilogy

So many that I couldn't possibly remember. It's not even anything special. There are shitloads of great movies older than that. Do you people even watch movies?

A few. My favorite film decade is the 80s though.

nice clove cigarette brah

Thousands. More than I've seen from afterwards or from this century.

zero? I wasn't born till the 80s

Tons

According to Letterboxd over the past 2 and half years I have watched:

1 film from the 1890s
2 films from the 1900s
3 film from the 1910s
14 films from the 20s
31 films from the 30s
51 films from the 40s
62 films from the 50s
84 films from the 60s

If you don't regularly watch old films then you need to fuck off back to r/movies

according to my letterboxd, hiding shorts
1008 films before 1970

well if those numbers are anything to go by, you dont regularly watch older films, so take your own advice

exactly 40

i wasn't born before 1970

Sure is Audreyfag in here.

>he buys kikebox pro

about tree fiddy

you don't have to pay to see how many films per decade you've seen

Pretty much all of Hitchcock's stuff, Casablanca (if that counts lol), 12 Angry Men, The Hustler, The Manchurian Candidate, those all come to mind. All kino t b h

vertigo, psycho and rear window are not "pretty much all of hitchcock's stuff"

>(if that counts lol)
Why wouldn't it count? It was made in 1942.

What are you talking about?

>12 Angry Men
Why have so many people seen this movie? I mean, of all the fifties movies, why does this one always appear on the lists of people just getting into old movies? Is it because it's usually before the films whose titles start with letters of the alphabet?

Sick burn.

I wasn't born before 1970, I didn't see any movies then.

It's the highest rated "old film" on IMDb after all.

because lumet is a very famous director?

lol faggot i just watched jaws

Most of my favorite films are from the 30's. Universal were the GOAT back then.

He's not as famous as Ford, Hawks, Welles, Ray, Sirk, Lang, Tashlin... any number of people.

Really?

None

I was born in 1994

Higher than Pulp Fiction and LOTR. Real dog damn impressive if you ask me

3. Psycho. Citizen Kane. Postman always.

Higher than Citizen Kane?

None. I wasn't alive back then.

higher than a jillion other films

No idea. 100? 150? Does anyone know how many movies they've actually watched?

ok user believe what you want

Born in 95. You're a fag. Watch some classic kino.

yes i've watched 1,005

That's ridiculous. It must be the beginning-of-the-alphabet thing, it's nowhere near that good. Unless they're showing it in high schools, that might explain it.

Cool hand Luke
Spartacus
Bridge on The River Kwai
To kill a mockingbird
Strangers on a train
Psycho
A fistful of dollars lel
A few dollars more- lel
The good the bad and the ugly- lel
Duck, you sucker! Lel
Once upon a time in the West- lel
In the heat of the night
Dr. Strangelove
Bitch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The man who shot Liberty Vance
The Pawnbroker
On the waterfront
Bicycle thieves
12 Angry men
2001: A Space Odyssey
Citizen Kane
I've gotten into watching films over the last month and a bit and I've literally written down each film after I've watched then. These are all my pre-70's films I've tallied up so far. Only ones I haven't liked are Spartacus and the man who shot Liberty Vance. r8 how much of a Pleb I've been the last month or so, Anons.

What

>Being a kino retard
>Telling anyone else what to do.
LEL

Liberty Vallance is one of the best films ever, dude.

>lel
Why?

i've actually mostly watched them tbqh

i dont think douglas sirk, nicholas ray, or tashlin are more famous than lumet, even tho i consider them to be better directors

I thought they were Kino, I thought someone might call me out on just listing all of Leone's pre 70's films individually (excluding colossus of Rhodes)

>He's not as famous as Ford, Hawks, Welles, Ray, Sirk, Lang, Tashlin... any number of people.

He probably is to a more contemporary audience. Think of it like this, viewers watching any of the guys you mentioned would have to be watching older cinema to begin with. Somebody could watch Dog Day Afternoon after watching the Godfather or something, or one of Lumet's later films, like even his last one in 2007 with Philip Seymour Hoffman which was pretty modern and edgy, then look up Lumet and get curious about 12AM. It's pretty much the oldest movie of any significance made by any of the "Movie Brat" generation

>not a single silent film
I take it you came here after the picke rick episode?

Recommend me some of the best silent films to get started then

I couldn't even have answered this after the age of ten because I'd have no way of knowing. Are amerifatsos actually so fucking stupid that seeing a film from before 1970 is unusual?

Oh okay.

>any of the "Movie Brat" generation
He wasn't remotely of the Movie Brat generation. He was of the live TV generation, like Frankenheimer and It baffles me that you could think he was a "movie brat".

Also, let's be honest, it's the alphabet thing, because plebs are mongoloids.

none, grandpa, they all have shit acting and graphics

any movie made before 1990 is unwatchable

Birth Of A Nation
Strike
Intolerance
The Gold Rush
Safety Last
Man With a Movie Camera
Haxan
The Phantom Carriage
The Lodger
Faust
The Last Laugh
Broken Blossoms
Way Down East
Nanook of the North
Passion Of Joan Arc
City Lights
The Thief of Baghdad
Bottleship Potemkin
Our Hospitality
The Man Who Laughs
Greed

Thanks, user

Lumet's hard to classify as a director because he started strong in the 50s, kept up fairly consistent quality throughout the rest of the century, and finished strong in 2007. So technically he started on the late end of the "live TV" generation, as you put it, but also defined himself alongside the other movie brats, while easily outlasting most of them in terms of remaining a competent and prolific director.

>having bad taste

I bet you like capeshit.

Anything and everything by: Griffith, Bauer, Chaplin, Lang, von Stroheim, Flaherty, Sjostrom, Gance, Keaton, Murnau, Pabst, Dreyer.

>tfw Lumet is one of your favourite directors but you also think that Network is incredibly overrated

105 with many more to watch

No, no, no. Stop digging. Lumet was not a movie brat. He was OF the live TV generation - that is where he *came from*. You got it wrong, you have no need to bluff like this. Lumet's tastes were pre-auteurist humanist - he admired ZINNEMANN, for fuck's sake. You don't need to do this, just accept that you were wrong and allow yourself to learn.

If you've watched over 200 films you should literally kill yourself

:^)

Ok user, you've got me. This is a good thread

Go to bed grandpa

no

not enough honestly

i just downloaded 8 of these because i came to the realization that the first "road to" movies people saw

were the family guy ones

ikiru
that's it

My favorite is Road to Bali but Morocco is fun too.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mm9gUAyO1pU

A few dozen. Working my way through the canon. Just watched pic related (1969) last night, was fucking great.

But you don't regularly watch old films and going by the pattern you watch more from newer decades.

>Duck, you sucker!
>pre-1970

The amount of pre-70s movies that won'y bore you to tears is minimal.

damn thats bad

What's your angle here?

A lot, mostly westerns

Oh ye. Thought it just about snuck in with before the 70's pre-ouatia Leone. The rest are correct

>These are the people your posting with
Jesus Christ

I've been watching almost nothing but classic movies these past four months. Last one was The Devil and Daniel Webster.

this