Greatest horror movie ever or overrated trash?

greatest horror movie ever or overrated trash?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7qUNx5_UBbI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That would be Jaws.

Uh... does it have to be one of those?

Stop blaming the Jaws Sup Forums

Poltergeist was better.

>Sells the idea of evil/satan being an omnipresent force/entity better than any movie. "Spare some change for an old altarboy father"
>Sells the idea of evil can also be lying in wait in a place for a person to come along better than any movie. The "I'm not walking down those stairs scene"

Greatest horror movie ever if you find ideas scarier than blood/guts/jumpscares. If not it's not for you.

Definitely one of the greatest

When she stabs her puss and screams its pure horrorkino

Great contender, but I still say it's pretty neck-and-neck with The Exorcist.

I saw this movie when i was like 10 years old and it wasnt very scary or entertaining to me, had a laugh when the girl came crawling down the stairs.

epic

No, it didn't age well. The Thing is the best horror movie ever

The Exorcist is simply a product of it's time. I can't imagine anyone unironically finding this 'terrifying' in todays world. As a fan of horror it's easy to see how it shaped the genera but it's pretty cheesy nowadays.

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
2. The Shining
3. Nightmare on Elm Street
4. The Exorcist
5. Repulsion

It's a great film. Literally kys if you watch horror just to get scared.

If I wanted to watch something terrifying/scary/disgusting I'd watch a fucking snuff film.

Horror kino

m.youtube.com/watch?v=7qUNx5_UBbI

Neither. It's a great horror movie but constantly being called the best ever made is probably a bit much.

However based on pure shock value alone, it's probably between that, Psycho, and Jaws. Maybe Alien too.

Did someone mention The Exorcist?

Unfortunately, I don't think it's gonna hit as hard if you're not a Catholic

Poltergeist teeters way, way too much between genuinely creepy horror moments and silly schmaltz for me. The pull between Hooper and Spielberg is so obvious the movie becomes contrastingly two-tone and I wish it wasn't like that.

Somewhere in between

>Repulsion
Polanski? I don't see this better than Rosemary's Baby.

Are any of these "classic" horror movies actually scary?

Sure.

Depends on how young you are.

After a while of watching Horror, it becomes less scary, but that doesn't mean they're not good movies.

Shining, Alien, The Thing are top 3. Then TCM, Exorcist

Honestly it depends on what kind of thing scares you in a horror movie. There's something for everybody.

Greatest American transgressive family drama ever made within the strict parameters of a Hollywood sanctioned production

>cheesy
stick to capeshit lad, you can't recognize a good film

It's The Shining and it's not even close
inb4 but muh jump scares retards

People complaining about jump scares is more annoying than jump scares. They are a tool that when used well, are really effective

Doesn't even happen in the movie.