Asterix the Gaul Storytime

Sit down kiddies and let me tell you the tale of a village of indomitable Gauls who have the gaul to stand against the Roman empire.

1/48

2/48

3/48

4/48

5/48

6/48

7/48

8/48

9/48

10/48

Bump for OP.

ooooooo

Alea jacta est.

Keep it going boyo

Sure thing. I'll have the rest up in a bit, but Sup Forums was on the fritz

Thanks mac

Early Cacofonix is weird.

Most of this early art is kinda disconcerting. Obelix looks ripped as shit instead of just big and fat.

Fuck yes.

jesus French people really are sore losers

can't wait for their comic in 1000 years set during WW2 with the indomitable french town that resisted the stereotypical nazi

assuming there will still be a France in 1000 years

>Obelix looks ripped as shit instead of just big and fat
I don't know what you're talking about, he's just well covered.

OP is kill?

The Romans got him.

Damn those oily garlic-stinking bastards.

Who are you calling fat?

Don't worry about me, I have potion from the
druid.

11/48

by the way, why isn't the tread moving up?

12/48

13/48

15/48

15/48, sorry

16/48

17/48

18/48

19/48

20/48

I think that posts by OP don't bump.

21/48

thanks

22/48

23/48

24/48

25/48

26/48

27/48

28/48

29/48

30/48

31/48

32/48

33/48

34/48

35/48

36/48

37/48

38/48

39/48

40/48

sorry this is 40

42/48

43/48

44/48

45/48

46/48

47/48

48/48

Danke.

Thanks OP.

Actually, they do.

Just wait 30 minutes max (don't know what the minimum is).

Julius Caesar seems to have gotten some plastic surgery.

This kind of comics is not supposed to be taken at face value user.

For example here, the "small village of indomitable Gauls still holding out against the invaders" is rather a metaphor for the modern France in a world dominated by the US (and USSR when it was written)

It's funny how the art improved over the course of this book, even. Thanks OP!

Thank you, OP. I saw that story only in animated form before, so it was nice to read the original.

I think I still have a VHS of The 12 Tasks of Asterix... good times.

It's kind of fun realizing that the folks making Wakfu & Dofus grew up reading these.

The color palette is what's truly weird here.

Rene Goscinny was a Polish Jew but he liked France or maybe Asterix is very clever mockery of Gaullism.

>tfw owning everything up to Latraviata
My dad bought them back in the day and now I have them. And basically every single Goscinny issue is grade A.

Thank you OP for reminding us about the best manga in the entire Cosmos

I always forget how rough the first album looked.

I may story time later volumes if enough people want it.

Buddy, i'd really like it, i just didnt wanted to sound unsatisfied with your storytime. But i would love some more please!

>manga
I know it was intended as a joke, but with this series in particular, that's a word you might want to avoid. We wouldn't want to bring "that tome" in mind ....

What was Uderzo thinking?

Fucking finally I see Asterix posted on Sup Forums!
More people need to know about this series, my dad had all of them except for the shitty ones.
It's surprising how many people haven't heard of it though.

syndrome of the senile bitter old man who clings to his past fame and glory and can't stand to be replaced by something that's not a carbon copy of his work

The Manga popularity boom was flooding the comic market in europe at the time. Kids stopped buying Franco-Belgian comics and European comics became niche market in Europe.
The shelfspace for manga was growing and the space for western comics was getting smaller.

Thus he was a bit miffed about manga and saw American and European comics as underdogs stuck on the same boat and decided they needed some tribute.

You are over dramatizing. He just did that book with the mental state of people from the early 90's because he's old.

>European comics became niche market in Europe.
while it's true that Manga made their place on the shelves, the Euro comics industry is not even remotely close to be a niche, it's still by far the biggest of the three genres, at least here in France where Uderzo works. Th US comics are he niche, but they didn't become smaller with the arrival of mangas.

He just saw mangas as a bigger threat than they really were, and felt compelled to spit on them, but right now the three genres are standing in a healthy balance on the european market.

thanks OP. That's a great storytime
The art evolution between the beginning and the end of the book is really strong.