Anyone remember visionaries

Anyone remember visionaries.
I remember that it was a pretty interesting concept that had way too few episodes.
Wonder if it would fare better if it was rebooted today.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bt0KUz4Yg-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=jcwgicS_xDc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It was a toy line that they tried to build into a cartoon. I know a lot of 80's cartoons were like this but the Visionaries toys were pretty bad, just generic action figures with a hologram gimmick and the show suffered because they had to try and add a narrative to a shitty concept.

Besides the usual suspects (GiJoe,Transformers,MLP,Gem) what other 80's toy franchise converted well into the cartoon median?

Thundercats, The Centurians, The Care Bears, The Pound Puppies and Bravestar all spring to mind.

I don't think Jem ever had a big toy line though.

There's a movie planned, fwiw.
There's also a Micronauts movie planned but I hope they hold off on it long enough to decide to adapt the IDW comics or at least IDW Acroyear

Inhumanoids.

"Dee! Com! Pose!"

Nightmares.

Aren't they planning on rebooting it?

Inhumanoids was absolutely bonkers from beginning to end.

Okay, a lot of these toy franchises were. But Inhumanoids was truly mental.

>Inhumanoids

youtube.com/watch?v=Bt0KUz4Yg-Y

yeah, that's pretty metal

Was there ever a toy based show with a weaker premise than Sky Commanders?

At the time, the whole thing looked lame and childish.
Looking at it now, the TMS animation is pretty nice and Jonathan Harris plays a sniveling toady so I might have to watch some.

what was the one about stealth vehicles that where really just transparent

remember if you dipped the little guys into water they'd turn translucent

I had no idea they made a cartoon out of those.

Most of the toy lines still sort of worked as cartoons. Care Bears worked out, Thundercats worked out, even Centurions worked. But guys who zipline in a totally bleak featureless mountain range to...save the world somehow just never made it.

Well it's back in some form now.

....fuck. I watched the show back in the 80s, and Mortdred's voice always sounded so familiar but I had no clue it was him.

Mortdred was my favourite.

there was a pilot episode I remember. No idea if it became a full series but I do recall seeing a VHS tape

SHADOW STRIKERS! that's the name

it's a neat idea I suppose but uh...really kind of moot when put into execution

Don't forget when he turned her into a monster just to dance with her

At least he took her dancing

Holy fuck this show is great

CREEPY CRAWLERS

Even as a kid I was like WTFing over how they turned this gummy worm making thing into a TV show about making warriors that save the Earth out of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=jcwgicS_xDc

The show premise was actually pretty solid, a technoligically advanced world is suddenly plunged into the Dark Ages due to solar activity, civilization reverts to a feudal state, and an ancient wizard picks now to hand out special magic powers to two warring factions.

That's a pretty solid adventure set-up with lots of potential for crazy action.

The problem was that it was hamstrung by having to be a standard Saturday morning cartoon. I don't mean it needed to be darker or more violent, just allowed to take itself seriously. Most of the time the characters ended up just doing something silly. Hell the villains alone were so incompetent and prone to petty squabbling they made Cobra Commander looks like Emperor Palpatine.

If they didn't have to resort to zany hijinks to resolve most of their plots and actually allowed things to have some gravitas, then it would've been a great show. The wizard fully admits that he's nobody's friend in the conflict and has an agenda all his own that he is using them for. That could provide a lot of interesting conflict for both sides when they are tasked with doing something they don't want to do.

It's not any weirder than Rubick cube

What I recall was that whilst I pretty much recognise the animals that most of them turn into, when it came to I think either the antagonist leader or his second my thoughts were, "He's a what now?"

>WHAT NO M.A.S.K?!
That was one of my favorite shows. I hope the toys can get a re-release because that was one of the best toy lines.

> Dem opening credits.

> You will never get to come see the lazer rays.

I actually found the show quite charming, and the villain centric episodes some of the best, just because it briefly touched on how these Saturday Morning Villains actually run their kingdoms/organizations.

That, and I'm a sucker for cheesy fun.

Solid show, I recommend Sup Forums giving it a watch. Most of the episodes are genuinely entertaining, and the VA work is fucking solid as a goddamn rock.

Also: Merklin is best Dungeon Master.

Visionaries was s good it doesn't even need a reboot, just a continuation.
Although they could shave off some of the sillier stuff, like the Sun Imps.

Shadow Strikers.

I remember two that had some High quality toys. Dino-riders had some very nice dinosaurs, detailed in things like scales a coloring. The figures were a little mediocre, and the weapons/armor were bad, But I would have bought the dinos alone.

The second was Sectaurs. They had some very innovative toys, especially pic related. The legs of Spider Flyer were actually a glove, so you could articulate him. I used to fuck with my dog so bad with this guy. He thought it was a real critter.

Remember the retarded racing episodes?

I mean It's nice they tried to shake things up, but really?

IDW Comics is bringing M.A.S.K. back, along with other toy line-related comics.
Except in this version, Matt Trakker is black.

I really liked the bad guy figures. I didn;t know until years later there were 2 packs of just the figures. It's not often 80s toys slip by me but those did.

Trakker is pretty much just a copy pasted design od Duke, and since MASK & G.I.Joe now exists in the same universe they wanted to make them look visually different from each other.

Plus honestly who gives a shit about Trakker, just like with any 80s proprety the villains is where it's at.

Sure, I had nightmares because of Decompose as a kid. For some reason I kept mixing Centurions with Inhumanoids, but it must have been because of tech based armor.

I quite like the racing series. I am biased towards 80s cheese though.
I headcanon'ed that Vanessa was working with MASK that whole time given some of her behaviour in the racing year was a bit anti-heroish. Most of the fanbase actually go with the idea she turned good in the end and married the guitarist with the hocus pocus mask who would always run out of a gig when he was summoned

it had a pretty good tie-in comic but the show wasn't memorable other than the gimmick and the themesong, and the toys were just kind of shitty plastic guys with holograms on them

holograms as entertainment items were kind of novel then, but now they're on all kinds of shit just because

>show was'nt memorable

Watch that one episode where the bad guys win. Seriously. They fucked them up majorly, even drove Galadria cuckoo

"let's see how your light shines underwater"