Would a Patrick Bateman-type character work in the 2010's? Would he be able to get away with murder as easily as he did?

Would a Patrick Bateman-type character work in the 2010's? Would he be able to get away with murder as easily as he did?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Nah, he'd get tried for thought crime.

Yes. Nobody cares about the homeless or prostitutes.

what a gay post dude

Checked

what's the point when yuppie culture isn't a thing anymore

>yuppies only existed in the 80's

But he didn't murder anybody user....

impressive, very nice

It's called sense offense.

Are you one of those dumbasses that completely missed the point of the movie and thought "it was all a dream".

American Psycho seems filter out the less than 80 IQ morons as they come away with the completely wrong conclusion.

He most certainly killed many people. The reason no one realized is because the yuppie culture in the 80s is so ephemeral that they see people completely interchangeably. For example, his lawyer seemed to recall a lunch with Paul Allan that never fucking happened because it could have very well been any of those other corporate stooges that seemed to look and act identically.

Nope, he killed hookers, homeless, Paul Allen, and many more.... but he was bulletproof because even as he FULLY confessed, no one would think a multi-millionaire yuppie assistant CEO would ever do such a thing.

When dumbasses watch this movie they realize Bateman has delirium episodes and then they have the wrong takeaway from the lawyer talking to him on the end.

Check these

Doubles

He didn't even kill anyone. It was all a dream.

Could Caruthers get doubles????
very nice

You're a fucking ugly bitch

He used to read the word-dub magazine

Fuck you idiot

>there are actually people who think that the murders didnt happen

He'd be the same, but he'd like the 2010 equivalent to soulless pop, i.e Adele, Taylor Swift, etc.

Are you one of those dumbasses that haven't read the book?

I used to be a shitposter like you, then I took an arrow in the eye.

He used to read word up magazine?

I've read the book. A lot of Bret Easton Ellis actually.

If you had the takeaway that he never killed anyone *after* reading the book, you're truly dense. No scratch that, it's not possible to get that take-away from the book at all.

And it takes a really dim type of stupid to get that from the movie. But yeah, somehow every moron I know that saw American Psycho said, "it would have been good without the *it was all a dream copout*" which is so stupid I don't even know how to respond to that remark.

Absolutely.
The only thing that would change is him being either gay or bisexual.
ew. Why?

Lol fug u :-D

The writer of the book and the director of the film BOTH say that they are disappointed how the audience reacted to the film. It was always intended that the murders happened. If they didnt happen the whole movie would be very stupid

Brett Easton Ellis sucks cock and the movie is literally better than his shitty ass book

That dude from Mr. Robot

lmao

I'd say Joe MacMillan is a nice recent example close to that type of character

>Ew. Why?
Pretty self-explanatory, it's pop with no actual substance

>it's not possible to get that take-away from the book at all
The book was even more vague than the film. He's got an inferiority complex and is delusional, and everything is told from a first-person perspective, meaning an unreliable narrator. Some of the murders he does are public, yet nothing comes of it. My assumption was he had some kind of mental illness, like schizophrenia, and basically everything amounts to delusions and paranoia. I think the only real murder he did was drown the dog at the beach house.

The movie is faithful to the book, so how could it be better if the book is so bad according to you? Now back up your baseless spew with valid arguments

>get that take-away from the book at all.
Forget the part where Bateman is completely fucking delirious by the end?

Anyway, it doesn't matter whether he was a killer or not, that's not the point.
Death of the author kiddo, pssh

Because the movie did in 2 hours what the book struggled to do in 500 pages

>The movie is faithful to the book
Kek, you haven't even read the book

>struggled
What a retard.

But I have. Have you?

If I remember right, his lawyer was tending to the legal fallout of two very vicious rapes that happened when he was in college.... And that real estate agent seemed very shocked when he showed up in the condo and was examining where he *thought* he left the bodies....

That dude, sure as shit, was a killer.

Sorry about getting out worked on your own work, Bret

The movie would be about no one cares that he's murdering people because they are blinded and outraged that he reps "problematic" posts on twitter.

>the ending scene grabbing the lawyer
>It's me, I'm Patrick Bateman I've murdered 17 people
>Unhand me you racist. I know you read National Review.
>this confession has meant nothing

So where's the patty winters show?
The zoo chapter?
The bone in the dove bar and the stalking bench?
The chapter about him wandering dazed through NY?

The movie's problem is that it only makes it clear he's a kook in the final 10 minutes, while the book makes it clear from the start.

hahaed at such a volume that if other people were standing around they would have heard me

His lawyer mentions that Bateman's a pussy who wouldn't harm a fly, and the real estate agent just told him to get lost.

Different user that also read the shitty ass book here
Nobody is impressed that you listened to the audiotape of dumbfuck Bret Ellis.
The movie was a shot for shot remake
>b-but remember he put a jellyfish in a microwave and killed a kid at the zoo!!
Literally nobody gives a fuck
The book sucked, the movie was good

Kill yourself

How about the cab driver who saw Patrick on a wanted poster? Proof right there mi amigo.

Why did no one question the blood in the lobby and elevator if the murders happened?

The book is some of the most entertaining hilarious and interesting writing I've read from the last 30 years.

The subtle exploration of self and the lack of depth in real social relationships is excellent.

He didn't see him on a wanted poster, he accused him of killing a friend, but that wasn't the way I read it.

The entire book Bateman gets through social circles by having people mistake him for others, since they consider Bateman himself a loser, and he doesn't correct them because he profits from it.

So it comes to bite him in the ass by the end, where he gets mistaken for someone else and gets in shit for it, paralleling the rest of the book.

Note also that he himself doesn't think he killed any cab drivers recently (noted; he's insane) and the driver uses it as an excuse to rob him, making it all uncertain

they'd probably make him a black woman with a gay sidekick who kills men in pepe shirts

t.100 IQ moron
The whole point of the ending was to be left with the same level of confusion as Bateman,
inevitably to be left without a definitive answer.
>yfw your puny brain finally realises American Psycho(path) also stands for American Psychosis

The book sucked cock and you're a fucking faggot it sounds like

I'll grant you the uncertainty of the scene, but the cab driver does specifically mention a wanted poster.

Are we talking about the movie or the book. In the book Bateman clearly raped 2 women in college along with torturing them.... he got away with it because he was very rich and they were negotiating settlements with his lawyer.

He was a frequently delusional basketcase and virtually no other characters acknowlege that these murders had happened BUT there's obvious connections that he *had* tortured/raped 2 women which would certainly lend credence to the murderer thing.

I personally think it's obvious in every way that he's killing people. It's a commentary on how ephemeral the yuppie culture is that they can't see a murderer right in front of them even after a full confession. He's always making jokes about murders to virtually everyone.

Believing he isn't a murderer takes about as much mental acrobatics as saying JarJar is Snoke. That or just extremely lazy unobservant viewing.

Sounds like the book went over your head and you don't get grade A ironic and absurdist humor.

He kept the corpses well sealed in the expensive designer duffel bag or whatever the fuck kind of large bag it was.

>I HAVE TO RENEW MY NETFLIX SUBSCRIPTION

Doesn't really have the same ring

He DID rape a woman in Aspen, because she has a visceral reaction when she sees him, but we don't know if he really did rape those girls in college, especially since he himself said that's when he got broken.

>He was a frequently delusional basketcase and virtually no other characters acknowlege that these murders had happened BUT there's obvious connections that he *had* tortured/raped 2 women which would certainly lend credence to the murderer thing.
Just because someone's a rapist doesn't mean they're a murderer as well.

>It's a commentary on how ephemeral the yuppie culture is that they can't see a murderer right in front of them even after a full confession. He's always making jokes about murders to virtually everyone.
Because everybody sees him as a meek retard so they think he's joking. Also, black humor = psychopath?

>Believing he isn't a murderer takes about as much mental acrobatics as saying JarJar is Snoke. That or just extremely lazy unobservant viewing.

Maybe in the movie but the way the book is written it's clear that there isn't a definitive end, and that's the point; you're supposed to be just as confused as him

>the author says the murders did happen
>The director said the murders did happen
>A virgin nerd in Sup Forums says Bateman is just a madman that didnt kill anyone

Who to believe?

>Reddit reviews American psycho: the post
Wew!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author
Healthy young user goes to reddit, gets pumped with massive shot of mainstream culture, doesn't feel good and changes - PLEBNESS. Many such cases!

it still exists alright it's just a lot more widespread

What about the Zodiac and the guy from MoM

Who was that Dutch kid who raped and killed vacation sluts for like a decade? Euron Vandersloot?