What's next for physical media?

What's next for physical media?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc
extremetech.com/computing/181560-sony-develops-tech-for-185tb-tapes-3700-times-more-storage-than-a-blu-ray-disc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nothing, streaming takes over.

When will streaming services have decent libraries with a wide range of films released before 2005?

Even when you can't stream you'll store everything you buy on your phone. Buying a single movie on a piece of stuff is done for.

not true. cable companies and streaming services have a deal in which new movies get ported to dvd delivery service or in the form of blu-ray physical copies. hence why you don't see many new movies on any streaming service; hulu, amazonprime, netflix etc

>streaming
>digital

Yes, good goyims. Keep paying and never actually own anything. Pay full price for a movie, use your own bandwidth to watch and download it, and save the companies the trouble of the physical distribution. Yes, very good...

Can't wait to start streaming at 720p with shitty bitrates and never own the media I consume.

>paying
People still do this?

Not likely given how all these big companies like Disney and HBO keep splitting off and making their own streaming services, making it much more expensive for consumers.

this, Netflix 4k is already at 18Mbps. By the time the AV1 codec is released I suspect they will up their bitrate to about 20-25Mbps due to yearly decreases in wholesale bandwidth prices. Combine that improvement with the performance of AV1 being 1.7x-2x better than H265 and you now have streaming that is effectively equivalent to 40Mbps H265. To put it into perspective the best Ultra HD blu-ray have bit rates around 50Mbps (most have sub 30Mbps bitrates). By the time the AV2 codec rolls out it is game over for physical media outside of masters.

Enjoy your compression, artifacts, trash bitrate, and shelling out $100+ every month for those speeds.

Are you retarded? Why compression artifacts with streaming be an issue when it has a bit rate that is effectively superior to physical media? Also Netflix 4k is $12 and my 150/150 connection $50 a month. Internet prices are only going to get cheaper as technology like DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems, 5G for homes, KU band low orbit satellites, ect rollout

>Why compression artifacts with streaming be an issue when it has a bit rate that is effectively superior to physical media?
Ah yes, I forgot that 18Mb/s is higher than UHD BD's 82Mb/s. How silly of me.

>Also Netflix 4k is $12
And you own nothing, and you have no control over what gets put up or taken down, when or why. Nice job.

>my 150/150 connection $50 a month
Good for you, but the vast majority of people in North America, Australia, and more? Nowhere near those speeds for that price. And let's not forget data caps.

>Internet prices are only going to get cheaper
Right. Not like the same companies that control the internet also own failing cable companies and want to make up their losses elsewhere, and have been jacking prices for the same (or lesser) service while introducing data caps. No way, never happened. And forget about the modem and router you'll need for that. And either ethernet through your house, or a VERY good wireless router. And the streaming box.

>5G for homes, KU band low orbit satellites
5G for homes...hoo boy did you ever fall for the marketing memes. And you honestly think internet will be delivered straight via satellite? It is now, but I mean at an affordable rate with an acceptable speed? What happens if it rains, champ?

>Are you retarded?
Takes one to know one, buddy.

God you burgers fucked up letting your ISP's charge so much

The next logical step is Betamax
Ring theory motherfuckers!

>be me
>be Canuck
>live in a small city (165 000)
>live in an apartment building downtown
>only one (1) company offers internet
>they only offer one (1) plan

>mfw paying 120$/mo. for "up to" 10Mb down and "up to" 5Mb up
>have to pay an extra 20$/mo. for "unlimited" (read: throttled after an arbitrary point) data cap

Just kill me.

5D Glass Data Discs

>Data storage in five dimensions, embedded in nanostructures within glass discs, could inspire the next wave in record-keeping. A research team at the University of Southampton's Optoelectronics Research Center (ORC) created a prototype the size of a quarter that can hold 360 terabytes of data and withstand extreme heat up to 190°C (374°F). The team believes their invention could be used to store data for up to 13.8 billion years (the age of the universe, FTW) because, unlike CDs and DVDs which hold their data on the surface and are prone to scratches, the 5D glass discs protect that information within their structure, safe from bumps and scrapes.

What fucking city are you in, Kelowna?

10 bucks says the format is launched with Cameron's Avatar 3

Reminder that there's still no physical media format that can show Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk as intended.

Sudbury, (Northern) Ontario.

D-VHS is still the only way you can watch True Lies in HD in it's original aspect ratio.

The only thing I know about Sudbury is the Stompin' Tom Connors song.

these sounded neat. hasn't been any development on them since 07 tho.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

We also have the "Superstack". It's a giant smokestack, and is the second-largest structure in the country (behind the CN Tower, obviously). It's only ~1m shorter than the Empire State Building.

But yeah, nothing too interesting. It's nice, though.

Do you guys think VR movies will be a thing?

I hope so. Field of view is the next obvious problem to fix after we've standardized on 120fps or higher.

It's not the only one to suffer from the widescreen disease.

Open matte isn't the original aspect ratio, it's a workaround for people complaining about their TV area being wasted. The cropped version is the original.

Most likely some SD-card based system.

>Amazon has a crazy extensive library. Expensive though.

looks comfy tbqhfam

in the year 2088

Streaming services are perfect for controlling what the goyim can and cannot watch.

pp, portable penises

>Ah yes, I forgot that 18Mb/s is higher than UHD BD's 82Mb/s. How silly of me.
learn some math faggot:
18Mbps -> 20-25Mbps due to wholesale bandwidth prices
H265->AV1 is 1.7x-2x improvement in efficiency
That means 4k Netflix will provide the equivalent of a 40Mbps

That bitrate is effectively better than the majority of UH BD out today. Also good luck getting 82Mbps with most films, a 2hr film will be above 70GB before extras. Even a triple layer disc would be strained with 82Mbps once extra are included with most films.

>And you own nothing, and you have no control over what gets put up or taken down, when or why. Nice job.

How many times do you watch the same films over and over again. There is more than enough content on it to justify its price. One UHD BD cost as much as 2 months of Netflix, good job.

>Good for you, but the vast majority of people in North America, Australia, and more? Nowhere near those speeds for that price. And let's not forget data caps.

I am in North America and I don't have a data cap.

>5G for homes...hoo boy did you ever fall for the marketing memes. And you honestly think internet will be delivered straight via satellite? It is now, but I mean at an affordable rate with an acceptable speed? What happens if it rains, champ?

Please tell me champ what memes did I fall for. Are you going to explain how channel bonding, OFDMA, MIMO, and beamforming are memes? You can get 1Gbps without even using millimeter waves today, with beamforming on a static dish it is trivial to get a 1Gbps connection let alone 50Mbps. Yes internet will be delivered straight via low orbit satellites using phased arrays in the near future due to the rapidly decreasing price in launching satellites.

Quality YIFY torrents on USB.

extremetech.com/computing/181560-sony-develops-tech-for-185tb-tapes-3700-times-more-storage-than-a-blu-ray-disc

This.

Also, a lot of films at the time were shot knowing that they'd be making a 4:3 version for VHS and tv broadcast later -- yes sometimes with stuff that was never in frame for the theatrical release.

Urban nomads don't have shelves for discs

n-no you!

hello very nice good yify quality thanks

v:10 a:10

>HDD
add ULTRA and SUPER to your liking

played on ps3