Has your country ever decided to change from a monarchy to a republic? Why?

Has your country ever decided to change from a monarchy to a republic? Why?

1. Sweden
2. No

Yes.

Because the bloody British tried to tax us without representation*

*mostly because we didn't want to pay taxes in general.

We had a referendum in 1999 but the republicans got BTFO

From what I know the Republican campaign was an absolute shitshow

It's mostly based on feelings

Nah, it wasnt all taxes. It was also because the British prohibited the Thirteen from exploring and settling west past the Appalachians to keep everything on the Atlantic seaboard and closer to Britain. You guys werent having none of that.

Yeah, first time because lol fuck Spain, the second because lol democracy dude.

>the British prohibited the Thirteen from exploring and settling west past the Appalachians to keep everything on the Atlantic seaboard and closer to Britain.
Or maybe it was because that land already belonged to France, and the British didn't like it when the colonists forced them into a war with another European power?

Yes. Muh religion.

>the eternal Anglo
>not aching for a reason to steal more pure French clay

It was because Colonists kept igniting expensive wars against the Native Americans by fucking around across the Appalachia.

Unsurprisingly fighting Indians supported and supplied by the Spanish and French wasn't cheap.

Because our monarch was a mouthbreathing retard.

The change was mandated by the entente, especially by woodrow willson and therefore the US. Considering how the weimar republic turned out, it would have been better if we stayed a monarchy but I suppose you can't stop the eternal yank from meddling with others internal affairs.

Yea most republicans I know don't really explain how it would benefit us other than abolishing the tyranny of the Queen

Without Wilson you'd probably be a French vassal from what they were demanding.

yeah twice

>Without Wilson you'd probably be a French vassal from what they were demanding.
truly the worst president ever

Yes. It was part of the process of becoming independent.

But you have a prince now, don't you? Or is that Monaco?

I don't know about Monaco but we don't have any princes.

Our country was never a monarchy though. In fact, the UK wasn't a proper monarchy either.

No actually, the land in question didn't belong to France.

If only we could split like that in 1946 and leave the terroni alone with their """monarchy""".

this

yeah for a very brief time.

We decided to change.