Silent Film Thread

Discuss silent films and recommend your favorite ones.
pic related: Cottage on Dartmoor (1929) what does Sup Forums think of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tdZ2Q9AWcDA
youtube.com/watch?v=sFLHbpBPahE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not seen it. My favorite is The Mysterious X

absolute patrician kino

That's one of my favorites as well, have you seen Blind Justice? I think that one is great as well, it's a shame that apart from Haxan, Christensen isn't really well known.

Metropolis

The nanook incident is the patrician version.

Yes, Flaherty's visual style is amazing, I've only seen Nanook and his talkies, I'll check out Moana tonight, it looks great.
Please expand, user.

A computer generated a cut of the documentary without human intervention.
youtube.com/watch?v=tdZ2Q9AWcDA

I still need to watch A Cottage on Dartmoor, it's been on my watchlist for a while. My favorite silent film is The Crowd (1928).

I love that one as well, funny how some of the greatest silent films were made after The Jazz Singer.
Have you seen any other films by Vidor?

That's interesting, where did you hear about it?

>Have you seen any other films by Vidor?
It's the only film by Vidor I've seen. Any recommendations for what Vidor films I should watch next?

The General is my favorite. City Lights is almost as good.

a friend recommended it to me

Haven't seen that many, but I liked Bardelys, The Patsy and Show People, I'm interested in checking out some of his 30s films, they look incredible.

Unironically kino

I am the kino pravda
I am a mechanical eye. I, a machine, show you the world as only I can see it. Now and forever, I free myself from human immobility, I am in constant motion, I draw near, then away from objects, I crawl under, I climb onto them... Now I, a camera, fling myself along their resultant, maneuvering in the chaos of movement, recording movement, starting with movements composed of the most complex combinations... My path leads to the creation of a fresh perception of the world. I decipher in a new way a world unknown to you.

Thats because it literally has "kino" in its name. kino means movie in russian?

>The General
Randomly caught this on TMC while not being in the mood at all to watch a hundred year old silent film, but it was great and sucked me in.

One Week (1920) also by Buster Keaton is fucking funny, short, and the girl is a total qt
youtube.com/watch?v=sFLHbpBPahE

Yea.

bump

>hasn't seen Duel in the Sun
What's it feel like not having a dad?

>some of the greatest silent films were made after The Jazz Singer.
myth

>it's a shame that apart from Haxan, Christensen isn't really well known.
Nice shit taste.

take a deep breath and read my post again

>24 replies
>0 D.W.Griffith

He never made a film though, so why would he be brought up in a silent film thread?

this

take a deep breath and read my post again

because he made silent films

Don't mind me just posting the best First World War film

maybe you feel more comfortable here

lol

Find a single poster of his works with the word "film" mentioned

>DW Griffith's supreme triumph
>all caps
>name bigger than anybody else's on poster
How pompous can you get

your mom sex tape

A god always knows its place.

>he need the word "film"

let's go together

>broken English
Your days are ending, Paco.

you're still retard

Maybe no one ITT considers him a favorite.

Underrated Ford film

That's not a silent film. And most of his 30's films are garbage that's why no one brings them up. Only Stagecoach and Young Mr Lincoln matter but Lincoln in Illinois is better so I guess that defeats the latter

Zoinks

Whoops

Oops

Its a little cliché but my favorite is definitely 1929's Un Chien Andalou. Which was actually co-produced by Salvador Dali and has some of the best and most brutul special effects I've seen and the entire film as a whole is easily one of my favorite films of all time

>Ford

>best and most brutul special effects

You should check out more from the silent era!

>DW Griffith
no

are there any films with a similar occult feel to Nosferatu and The Golem, silent or not

'Sup, underage /x/-poster

Haxan
The Fall of the House of Usher
Parson's Widow
The Phantom Carriage
Leaves from Satan’s Book
Faust

'Sup, underage /x/-poster

thats wonderful, thank you

>Dreyer
>Asquith
>Vidor
>Christiansen
>Wiene
>Pabst
>Riefenstahl
>Seastrom
>Bauer
>Lang

You're welcome, user!
this user has autism and alzheimer!

>Kuleshov
>Vertov
>Eisenstein
>Barnet
>Dovzhenko
>Mikaberidze

>that screenshot
same as your taste

>that screenshot
same quality as your taste

Overpraised by provincial British critics and academic writers who don't understand how innovation works. A compilation of techniques introduced over the preceding decade by directors who had something other than "check this tasty shit out" to say with them is not equal to the films it plagiarises.

AUTISM!

You obviously haven't seen them. Arrowsmith contains half of Welles' style, Doctor Bull has Ozu-like moments, Judge Priest is a masterpiece, Steamboat Round the Bend is another, then there's The Prisoner of Shark Island, Pilgrimage, and the films you mentioned.

You fucking hipsters make me sick.
Silent films? Why don't you go all out and go to Australia to watch abos project shadows of animals on a rock that's lit by campfire with their hands.
Fucking pussies.

Totally different, you've mixed up City Lights' ending with Modern Times', and Chaplin first did the walk into the distance ending in The Tramp in 1915.

what're you doing on a film board?

A bad piece of writing, which among other things gets William Desmond Taylor's name wrong; expresses sadistic relish at the thought of John Wayne being bullied, for no defensible reason other than partisan hack reflexes; completely ignores Ford's period as a Kennedy Democrat, and generally expresses a naive kind of pseudo-patrician disdain.

AHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No man, Asquith isn't on the level of the people he ripped off if art means anything.

>Ford

Saw this documentary recently.. its amazing and autistically plots all the synchronicities that lead to over a hundred silent films being found in the perma-frost that were thought to have been lost forever.

What do you think you're proving by pointing out IMDb totals for two films I didn't mention, one of which is from the 20s? If I cared about IMDb totals, I'd think Sidney Lumet was Ford's superior.

Who did he rip off

That was how Ford spoke. Do you have anything to say against Ford other than hand-me-down memeing? Let's hear your argument against his greatness.

Who gives a shit about IMDB ratings? Are you from fucking reddit? Get some critical thinking.

why would you watch boring silent film trite. there is no reason to watch anything before the 1970s

>Doctor Bull has Ozu-like moments

Sounds good. I liked the idea of what I heard of this guy's work in the past, but never watched it as I wasn't sure how much he really added other than editorial choices. This sounds meatier. May give it a look, thanks for the rec.

The poster counter didn't go up so I'll assume its just the griffithfag trying to argue with himself.

Impressionists, expressionists, the Soviets... basically it's an anthology of great ideas from the preceding decade of European filmmaking, done by someone who obviously thinks of them as "nifty" rather than having a real reason to use them.

Overpraised by provincial international filmmakers and academic writers who don't understand how innovation works. A compilation of techniques introduced over the preceding decade by directors who had something other than "check this tasty shit out" to say with them is not equal to the films it plagiarises.

Thanks for the still, interesting. Might have a look at that, Anna May Wong's career interests me, and I don't recall ever having seen anything by Chester M. Franklin, whose brother Sidney did some nice actor-focused stuff and produced a few major films.

Pathetic. Can't even copy well

>provincial international

Will you put in some fucking effort, please? There aren't many threads that cover these people and it would good to have an actual discussion rather than just inexplicable pettiness from you. Asquith isn't that good, and to associate him with Ford, and oppose Griffith to both of them, is inane. Griffith and Ford are both great. Banter is all well and good, but if you really don't think much of Ford, say why.

>Thanks
Should've stopped before you got there. I don't want your thanks. I don't even want you on this board. Take your plagiarized opinions from textbooks and slapdash blog posts back to the only place you'll ever confidently get away with showcasing taste shaped by aggregated lists and automated articles.

Why are you trying to sabotage the thread?

>Griffith
>great

Pick a better medium

Why does this thread exist? It appears to be random team-choosing banter by people who've seen none of the films being discussed.

I know he can be annoying, but I think the reason people hate megaautist is because he's more knowledgeable than them.

>Why does this thread exist? It appears to be random team-choosing banter by people who've seen none of the films being discussed.
It's just one autist talking to himself, he's been banned for doing it before.
Now he's talking about himself in the third person in this post

Pity, before the other posts left it was pretty good.

>more knowledgeable
Try potent, refined, attractive, taller. Perfection is only attainable by gods. Hate is synonymous with jealousy.

*posters