Shooting Avatar 2-5 simultaneously

>shooting Avatar 2-5 simultaneously

What if Avatar 2 bombs? It probably won't, but when I tell some normie that Avatar 2 is coming they don't care at all. They got super hyped when they heard about Star Wars 7 though.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8KpZRJ4HE4Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's the point. Filming the whole 4 films at once reduces dramatically the costs of production. It will be profitable withe episode 2, and the rest is considered bonus. I think James Cameron is crazy for doing this thing. Avatar sucks and people finally got over that stupid 3D gimmick. I hate the blue creatures, yuck.

I can't believe James Cameron would waste over 20 years of his life on blue pocahontas

they will get hyped when the media tells them to

What are they shooting? 90% of these things is CGI.

I can't wait to revisit this boring world of gross blue cg weirdos for at least four more times.

LOL

it is impossible for this movie to flop

>muh cinematic universe

Damn is he self-financing his films now?

I don't understand where four more stories are gonna come from. The original was fairly straightforward and understandable. Are they gonna keep trying to exploit the planet for some reason?

>wat if the chinks dont need to fake their economy and invent GDP

keke. u so funny.

Neytiri is in them, of course it won't flop

That's because Avatar is the last thing he has inside of him, creatively.

If you've ever watched that short movies of his, Xenogenesis, it's evident that thematically speaking that Avatar is as a whole something he's been thinking about through his career.

youtube.com/watch?v=8KpZRJ4HE4Q

Avatar was only big because of "3D" right?
and what's left of that nowadays

what does he have for us now?

I'm fine with more set pieces and acid trip colors and battles, but there's gotta be at least some sort of story. Audiences will get tired of it.

His net worth is $700 million, he probably self finances the movies, maybe just partly. He would be crazy to gamble his money for a stupid blue alien movie.

No because he'd go broke.

Guy made the two highest grossing films of all time so I doubt he'd have trouble getting a studio to back him

You could say the same about Planet of the Apes. It's all filler nonsense. Yet you probably don't say the same about Planet of the Apes.

This whole thing is avatarded. What a crazy old man, he needs somebody to slap him around and tell him to direct 1 last terminator movie.

You'd think something contemplated or that long would have more depth. Or any depth.

More 3d

>avatar 2: 12 hours of Neytiri and other na'vi girls doing cute things in cute ways
>avatar 3: 12 hours of Neytiri and other na'vi girls doing cute things in cute ways
>avatar 4: 12 hours of Neytiri and other na'vi girls doing cute things in cute ways
>avatar 5: 12 hours of Neytiri and other na'vi girls doing cute things in cute ways

it practically writes itself

>Yet you probably don't say the same about Planet of the Apes.
You're right. That's by far the best reboot I've seen. You know it's going to episodic by how much they drag it out, which I'm fine with. What's the next ep of Avatar gonna be? Do Sigourney and Blockhead realize they have to leave their fursuits? How about everyone wants to be a furry and the Tree of Souls is put to work doing that putting the entire planet at risk?

m8 this is Iron Jim Cameron. He knows what the people want before the people know what the people want.

but wait "Avatar 3D" was like 2.5D in the sense that the focus was predermined giving you a headache from mismatched eye focus compared to what was on the screen

are you saying we be using VR headsets in cinemas for these movies?

Avatar is so taut and perfectly layered that it makes my head spin. It clearly wasn't trying to please everyone, though, as evidenced by the plebs on here. It has a real vision and real ambitions. If you want a simple narrative and paint-by-numbers filmmaking, go watch your shoot-em-up cop films and capeshit. Avatar appeals to the few of us who enjoy challenging complexity. Cameron knows that the public is aware of Dances With Wolves; that's precisely why he references it (and probably 50+ other American films). This is called an homage, and the masters use homage to keep a "conversation with history" going. He includes well-worn tropes and plot points to lure you into a far grander story. The very best artists do this. They leave breadcrumbs in their stories that work as subtext and establishing a film in cinematic history. The fact that you can't see this says a lot about your general lack of expertise in the subject of cinema. There's pretty much unanimous consensus among scholars that Avatar is a western masterpiece... One of the very few that stands shoulder-to-shoulder with Citizen Kane or Lawrence of Arabia.

Don't you see that the "story" is secondary to the "experience". Go watch Nickelodeon for "stories". Avatar is something more than that. It's an entire living, breathing world. And it poetically mirrors the horrors in our world, our Pandora: America. The film writes the book on centuries of US history. Conquest, technology, expansion, death... It's all there. Cameron's canvas is far too large for small men to behold, I suppose. Go back to r****t and have Guardians if the Galaxy spoon-fed to you. The narrative if Avatar is no more or no less than the march of Western Civilization. That's what it chronicles, that's the SUBTEXT, you ape.

I'm hungry now.

Dancing atop this fathomless ocean of meaning is Cameron's film. It revels in all that lies beneath, but only suggests... Only hints. He leaves it to you to draw the myriad connections he's put in the film. But this requires, you see, some understanding of history, science, imperialism, philosophy, theology, astronomy, and anthropology.
Pandora is simply too grand a creation for some to come to terms with. Maybe one day you'll grow up enough to "get" it. I've seen it about 15 times and I'm still learning. Avatar grounds its storytelling in solid plotting instead of messianic symbolism: which is actually harder to pull off and requires more craftsmanship but doesn't impress the pretentious teenagers who think Evangelion is Art. I guess some art dilettantes get their kicks critiquing the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, so why not attack Avatar too?

Your naïveté is almost charming. The film has none of the "answers" to these questions you ask. It only asks new, more complicated questions. That's what real art, real revelatory art, does. Cameron, like Dante or Homer before him, stirs us toward a new perception of our own humanity. I have read 30,000-word essays from learned men simply unpacking the final shot of Jake waking up as a reborn creature. They haven't even scratched the surface of mastering the material. What I'm saying is, you are so far above your pay grade here that it's embarrassing. Cameron belongs to the ages, and the ones that come after is will better understand what he's merely hinting at with Avatar. The film community on the continent (that's Europe for you plebs) are just now starting to work on Cameron retrospectives. Many have found upon reexamination that Cameron is, indeed, one of the masters of the form. These men write in journals, not in the shitty blogs that you read. You have to understand that the film intelligentsia sees further than most. They can chart the impact a film like Avatar will have well into the future. And guess what the consensus is? It's timeless. It's universal. But it still somehow manages to capture in microcosm the very spirit of America at the turn of the 21st century. Only the most rare films work as both entertainment and as enduring documents of the spirit of an age.

I strongly suggest you start doing some reading on the psychological/philosophical underpinnings of Avatar. Freud's essays on dreams is a good place to start. But to feel the full weight of a tour de force like Avatar, you need a classical education. The best aestheticians have a sense of its true substance. It's not unlike Joyce's "Ulysses" in this way, another magnum opus in its own right.
None of your criticisms hold an ounce of water. You seem to be parroting the thoughts of some lesser reviewers who attacked Avatar to score contrarian points. The journey Jake Sully undergoes is both spiritual and intellectual. He enters the forest primeval, in the grand literary tradition, and does so as an "avatar" of the modern United States: weary, depressed, hobbled by war. What Cameron does with Jake is miraculous. He pulls the American public along with his protagonist as our social conditioning and technology are undercut by SHEER BEAUTY. Jake is the emblem if the bellicose American man at last setting aside his weapon.
And not just his weapon, his culture. His technology. Even his human form. In this way, he transcends all our present limitations. Cameron paints a picture of deliverance from our base natures: a deliverance so textured and nuanced that I can't even begin to describe it here. Your insults hurled at Avatar are like ice cubes flung at the sun. It is impervious to your biases and your ignorance. It simply is, in all its glory. Some of the less prestigious film theorists will publish some pablum about subjects that appeal to the typical Reddit neckbeard. They do this for obvious financial reasons. But even citing the best sources who swear by Cameron's work amounts to a mere appeal to authority. The proof, the overwhelming and emphatic proof of Avatar's place in the culture, lay in the experience of watching it multiple times with a keen eye... Then dwelling on its themes in quiet solitude. If you'd done this, you'd know what we're talking about.

I sometimes wonder why I even deign to discuss high art on a forum like this. It can be vulgar and crude, and you are living proof of that. But in the midst of the bilge, there are a few patricians whose light shines through. Those are the ones who know what I mean when I say, I see you. I see you. Your tired criticisms were already ably dispatched earlier in this thread. It's good practice in the future to read through these threads before making an off-hand comment like you did. You're entering a serious discussion about James Cameron, and you don't enter a meeting of the minds without first preparing. I was new here once as well, so I'm not condemning you. I'm merely saying that you won't marshal much respect when you thoughtlessly disrespect a film that's an established classic. My words are failing to sway you because we're arguing about art... Which is roughly analogous to dancing about architecture. Avatar is an aesthetic experience. I can't tap into your nervous system and make you see what I see (if only those ingenious Navi braids existed!), but I can try to explain the soaring heights Avatar sent the film going public to.

Avatar and Cameron are simply beyond you, r****t trash. I wish I could help you, but I fear there's no fixing stupid. The Navi do not lack complexity. That's a common misconception that the uninitiated make. It's clear that Navi suffer with the untold struggles of tribal life. Disease, death, pitched battles with the predatory fauna. They also have brutal rites of passage involving majestic flying beasts. They are a fully realized culture, and Cameron took uncommon care in giving then all the subtlety of an actual native people. But within your comment lay a seed that, once illuminated, blossoms into a beautiful truth about Avatar... It is your own prejudice that led you to falsely assume the Navi were not complex. It is your Western, imperialist bias that instantly demotes the native existence to "less complex" than industrial life. Cameron is trying to help you learn what Jake ultimately learns: the folkways and spiritual methods of the natives are FAR MORE complex than the mechanized human culture. This is a lesson that, sadly, was lost on you. Give it another watch, old chap, and I'm sure you'll see what I mean. When discussing Avatar, oftentimes what appears as a flaw upon the diamond's facet is actually an ornate symbol of Cameron's design. Avatar is not, as you so crudely put it, "shit". Avatar is the absolute antithesis of "shit". It's generally bad for your reputation to denounce it so openly in a forum of serious film aficionados. Please read through the thread. There are a number of intelligent responses that completely cripple your amateur analysis if Cameron's body of work. You are like a chimp wildly throwing his feces. Leave the advanced discussion of subtext and symbolism to those of us who have done the requisite study to understand Avatar.

9/10
not 10 because I didn't fall for it

>What if Avatar 2 bombs? It probably won't,
you mean it probably will? literally no one cares about blue aliends from a planet that has an earth name

Don't even bother /jim/bro. 95% of redditors will not read that much because it's not hilariously packaged in one of their memes (danceoff now!).

The other 5% are so unopen to changing their views that they will actually not respond. They know that what you are saying is both true and incredible, but they'll just shake their heads and say 'this is memes' in order to dismiss it.

Eywa is not a planet, she's a moon. And only heathen imperialist aliens would call me Pandora!

Wew

after all that I can't see beyond the Dances with Wolves with MORE CGI AND 3D AND ROBOTS AND TRAINING FUCKING BEASTS AND ONE DIMENSIONAL CHARACTERS

just kidding I still didn't fall for it

He's one of the few directors at the moment who have carte blanche to do what ever they want.

what if the na'vi were on a classical antique tech and society level and lived in small city-states centered around Tree of Souls-like trees.
I sure wouldn't mind seeing Neytiri in a classical dress as well as a hunting outfit