Kino jumpscares?

Everyone criticizes jumpscares in horror films and calls them cheap. But are there examples of any really good, aesthetic or skillfull ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4RGtC2S22Z0
youtube.com/watch?v=zAGh_Fl4cMw
youtu.be/xQxbo85BxnI
youtu.be/W98LPZXSzHE
youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY
youtube.com/watch?v=RMFyoBf0CWI
youtube.com/watch?v=O8zaoRaWt34
youtube.com/watch?v=M7Yu8jCrJeg
youtube.com/watch?v=EX9ZpsEg6Mc
youtu.be/8-Pdlxd_rro
youtube.com/watch?v=FlvQArvcW14
youtube.com/watch?v=a3lcGnMhvsA?t=16s
youtube.com/watch?v=pKCkPKYO0dI
youtube.com/watch?v=mzBAWX_sBpw
youtube.com/watch?v=y_x4mc7kQqE
youtube.com/watch?v=MFtv12V8ihg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2

IMO not really.

Jump scares are intrinsically cheap and skillless. It's like, if you tickle someone and they laugh and you go around calling yourself a comedian. It's bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=4RGtC2S22Z0

the lawn mower scene in sinister got me really good

My favorites are the "cold" jumpscares, those where nothing is directly jumping at you, but something horribly surprising freezes your blood for a second. Like a simple and silent cut to the monster's face or an unexpected close-up.

I think that's different...I mean, the threat of a scare is definitely something that can contribute to a creepy atmosphere

enough with this hunk of shit flick

This. Probably my fav horror

>that pole through windscreen jumpscare

Hah...That looks lame now, but I remember when I saw that as a kid it scared the shit out of me

youtube.com/watch?v=zAGh_Fl4cMw

I can't do that jumpscare shit, I just can't deal with the loud noises. It's not even scary it's just the threat that at some point a prick is gonna yell in my ear.

kys, this film was shit

What film is this?

Mulholland Drive

Reminder that any movie where monsters move in a quick, twitchy manner and screech autistically to create a jump scare effect is low-brow trash.

it was pretty great the first hour at least, I can't think of any other movie that actually makes you feel as claustrophobic as the descent

As Above so Below is pretty good

Literally the only one
youtu.be/xQxbo85BxnI

I love the slow spooky stuff

It's literally inpossible not to flinch the first time you see this. I actually liked the movie except for the bad CGI.
youtu.be/W98LPZXSzHE

goat

That was scary when I watched it. I live in hueland and that shit got me worked up.

You're gay

I dunno there's a difference between being startled by a jumpscare (something easily accomplished by toasters) and being scared by one. Really good jumpscares are ones that I end up replaying in my head over and over.

The only answer
Possibly the scene in The Shining when Jack jumps out from behind the pillar and axes Halloran

The scene in the Witch where Black Phillip gores the father on to the pile of wood was the best use of jumpscare I've seen in a while.

Best I've ever seen

youtube.com/watch?v=zH8ynu0jRvY

Dont watch it, its overrated trash

Learned that you can see the alien in the bushes, and the prevailing theory is at that time in the movie is that the aliens were retreating and leaving their wounded behind, and thats one of the aliens that were left behind panicked it tries to hide away and seeing the coast is clear it just runs away

My fave too. The part in the church in 28 Days Later where Cillian Murphy says "hello?" to the room of bodies and two of them just stand up and look at him creeped me out when I first saw it.

This scared the fucking shit of me in the theater. It just comes out of nowhere.

There's a good one in The Devil's Advocate, best watched unspoiled.

I like stuff that's more visual that auditory. Loud bangs produce the same reaction in every case, but when you shock visually there's a much broader spectrum of fears to tap into.

not really a jump, but it gave me a hefty spook

MOVE CHILDREN! VAMANOS

Would any movie really be scary if we could go into them 100% sure that there'd be no bite for all the bark a movie could conjure with it's atmosphere? No threat? I think that just by being such a common convention in horror, a movie that lacks jumpscares completely can get undue praise for it, even when that movie still derives tension from the expectation of jumpscares being there like any other "cheap" horror film - essentially standing on the shoulders of giants. In that case, I wouldn't even call it a subversion, just incomplete.

I mean, what's a scary movie that either
A) has no jumpscares
or
B) doesn't have jumpscares but makes you scared/tense/uncomfortable by making you expect them?

The stair sequence from Annabelle is possibly the only reason to watch that dumpster fire.

B tends to stay with you much longer than A. People don't remember Alien for the cat scare they remember it for the dread. Also compare It Follows with Wish Upon.

That one scene in The Grudge where she is running from the ghost and finally makes it to her room safely. The previous chase scene lasted a while with all the dramatic music etc, so it finally calms down when she makes it inside. Someone knocks at the door and everyone is 100% sure its the ghost. She looks through the peephole and sees its just her boyfriend coming to check on her. Relieved, you unclench for some exposition or dialogue, but then she opens the door and nobody is there. That grudge 'croak' echoes louder than ever and my whole body was on pins and needles.

Watched this movie unspoiled, thinking it was a courtroom drama.

That scene scared the absolute fuck out of me.

youtube.com/watch?v=RMFyoBf0CWI

Be sure to tell'em, Large Marge sent ya!

only correct answer.

Jumpscares are cheap when you overuse them as much as you can, but when placed after setting the mood for quite some time there's nothing wrong with them

The Vvitch and Blair Witch Project have 0 jump scares, so you know, keep the low brow jump scares to Platinum Dunes and the Paranormal Activity movies.

agreed, plus I don't think there's anything wrong with breaking the tension so that you can start building it up again.

The Witch had a couple mild ones.

The Gift had 1 jumpscare and it was pretty neat. youtube.com/watch?v=O8zaoRaWt34

>*yells at the television in Spanish*

Ahahahahahaha I don't remember that part.

>The Witch had a couple mild ones.

Not really. I don't even remember one. When Caleb wakes up?

im a different guy, but when the pedo witch grabs the boys head with the gross hand during the kiss is jumpscarish

The part where he kills the dad was jumpscarish, I could be remembering incorrectly though.

eh a little but I was never jumped from my seat - its not that kinda movie.

Easily the scariest moment is the early on scene with the candle light and the witch and the baby

The goat does come out of nowhere IIRC, but the sound effects are low key.

The alien saying hello to Dallas in the Nostromo's ventilation ducts. Tense scenes building up to that too.

Bill hicks wants his line back

That's kind of cheesy, one of the few moments the film looks it's age.

Jumpscare hate has become a total meme. The problem is when horror movies completely rely on jumpscares, not literaly any jumpscare ever. Do you think The Shining is shit?

Looks better in the movie and not a choppy shitty gif compressed for tumblr

"ta-daa!"

real effective move there from the supposed ultimate lifeform

holy shit is it just me or is his acting is bad

>Do you think The Shining is shit?

Yeah I hated the part in The Shining 3D when the dog mask came at you with a loud screeching piercing scream

Or the ending when the camera zooms in on Jack Nicholson as he moves his eyes menacingly and you hear a laugh.

can you really call something with that much buildup a "jumpscare"

Pretty much every classic horror movie had one or two jumpscares. That is, a moment when something suddenly appears that is meant to surprise you.

The best.
Wish I could have seen this first hand in a theater though, it's really fucked.

Jumpscares are shit, but that one in Exorcist 3 is pretty good.

t. underage

thread is utter shit

youtube.com/watch?v=M7Yu8jCrJeg
This can never be topped.

>I like stuff that's more visual that auditory. Loud bangs produce the same reaction in every case, but when you shock visually there's a much broader spectrum of fears to tap into.
Hell yeah. This.

Love a good jump scare desu. There's definitely skill involved in making a good one

it's so sudden and graphic and loud too.
kino of jumpscares.

C'mon, he was only a dozen hours old at that point and still learning. He jumpscared Ripley more effectively in the shuttle later.

Alien got me good the first time I saw it, they pulled it off well, by having it be behind him and then illuminating it as he turns rather than a quick cut to REEEEEEEE

>no build up
>totally silent
>out of fucking nowhere

I find myself gripping the chair when this scene starts. It's perfect.

Memento

Going to that things house totally ruined it as a character for me. It was about 10x scarier before Tiny Tim

I was more scared of the ending jump scene with the old woman than with that stupid thing

Best one.

I also liked this one from The Thing

youtube.com/watch?v=EX9ZpsEg6Mc

This user knows what's up

Utterly breathtaking

Came looking for this

>nobody posted this
youtu.be/8-Pdlxd_rro
And you call your tastes patrician

man that scene made me laugh really hard and ruined the movie for me

I really like understated jump scares like
youtube.com/watch?v=FlvQArvcW14
There's no yelling or anything but the way it shuffles away is very unsettling

True

Halfway through it was like they decided "Shit we made it too scary, better give it some lore and shit". The Further crap basically made it into an adventure movie with horror pretensions.

youtube.com/watch?v=a3lcGnMhvsA?t=16s

I liked the "silent" jumpscare they did in interstellar.
A nice sort of homage to those silent jumpscares from 2003

youtube.com/watch?v=pKCkPKYO0dI
unironically one of the scariest movies that isn't a gore/rape-fest

This made me jump so hard.

This has some great ones.
youtube.com/watch?v=mzBAWX_sBpw
youtube.com/watch?v=y_x4mc7kQqE

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Tru

youtube.com/watch?v=MFtv12V8ihg