X-MEN THREAD

X-THREAD
MUTANTS AND SHIT EDITION
Most overrated mutant?
Most underappreciated mutant?
Most Overrated run /Underrated run?
Why is your favorite mutant your favorite?

POST WAIFUS

>Most overrated mutant?
Definitely the fuckboy known as Logan. Wolverine is good but no where near the best.
>Most underappreciated mutant?
Longshot that guy has got the short end of the stick for ages. He has only ever been written well, but I wish he would be written more often.
>Most Overrated run /Underrated run?
Overrated is Whedon's. Its just ok. Underrated is definitely Gillen's. Its fantastic.
>Why is your favorite mutant your favorite?
I could go on for ages about why I like Magik but one part of it is that I read New Mutants as a teenager so I really connected and grew attached to the characters. Illyana is so well written and fun.

BUMP
Wolverine
Adam X/Gambit/Nightcrawle/Anyone who died in the 70/80/90's
Haven't read enough desu

Storm is a black goddess, definitely best waifu.

>Adam X
I think him being underappreciated isn't a bad thing. He is Adam X the X-treme. Maybe he just needs to be modernized but its hard for me to find things good about him. When was the last time he was in a comic?

Dani beats all others. Everyone else is shit.

I like magik best without the headgear and with the smaller non-anime soul-sword.

I don't give a shit about the black and yellows, but her edgy black leather number just seems a bit too juvenile to me.

Whats with Gambit? I like him a lot, but a lot of people hate him. Yeah sometimes he can be written poorly but his powers are fun, his costumes are fun and his personality is fun. Hes a scumbag and thats a good thing! Why do people hate him? Who is the definitive Gambit? What would you do to fix him?

Idek. Age of Apacolypse? I don't think you can modernize someone with an X in there name and someone who shouts "burn" while electrifying someones blood.

I'm not really into her new costumes much either, but I don't think they're terrible. A mix between the leather and the classic New Mutants yellow and black would be cool. I feel like juvenile isn't a problem though because she's supposed to be in her super early 20s.

I miss my bone mama

>What would you do to fix him
Nothing. He is perfect mate. Why isn't pic related playing him in the movies?

>someone who shouts "burn" while electrifying someones blood.
WTF, the only 90's X-Men ive read is Excalibur. Whats his deal?

Hey everyone! look its the best waifu!

Explain to me why she is worth reading?
Fuck the hate Gambit is the goofiest fucking Cajun and I love him.

I stopped reading in 2004, so my math is a little fuzzy.

>Most overrated mutant?
Kitty Pryde. It might not be as bad as it is now, but she was annoying to have around because she'd be pretty much everyone's "favorite person".
Nate Grey. X-Man.
I don't know. I think they were all decent for me, although I do think Days of Future Past started the "writer's pet" phenomenon on team books.
>Why is your favorite mutant your favorite?
X-Man is my favorite because he's my favorite. That's all there is to it.

>Nate Grey. X-Man.
Sorry senpai. I hes your favorite, I would tell you not to get back into X-Men. He got kinda bad. Best thing he has done in years is date Dani Moonstar. That was fun but after that he has exclusively been poorly written. Also Cable is better.

Fuck yeah.

Post our boy being right.

Marrow's character development from her debut to before the M-Day shit is some quality coming of age bookreading.
>Starts as a grotesque, husk of a person due to her bone regeneration being unorthodox and unkempt. who kidnaps people/children for the sake of her community/mentor
>Gets thrown to the wolves by said mentor, forced to climb back to the top under the regime of new, awful leader
>Gets destroyed by Storm, loses heart (she has two)
>Morlocks slowly dying out, Callisto suggests to Marrow to live and learn under the X-Men under the respect of Storm (who respects Callisto sometimes, but doesn't like Marrow)
>Outcasted by the X-Men outside of Cannonball, Collossus, Gambit and Kitty and is forced to go BACK to climbing back to earn the respect of a group with Maggott and some other chick
>other shit I can't remember, something about Psylocke and Storm's mom
>near M-Day she leads a splinter faction for the sake of protecting remaining mutants under Callisto, loses her powers

then the X-Force shit happens. Which is okay in it's own, but it's still complicated.

She's fun!

His power is that he electrifies someones blood but he needs oxygen to get in there, so he cuts them.

Magneto did nothing wrong

Magneto was left. Magneto was right. Cyclops was right.

When was the last time she was in a book?

I'm fine with the big sword, I just more hate the black leather costume thing.

Like... It just feels... idk, cliche?

Like the 90s came out with tons and tons of super edgy demon characters that wore little clothing, leather, all that shit. It was just so fucking TYPICAL and it got boring shit. Everything was so edgy!

Magik is a demon based character that was born way before any of that. Shes got an understandable backstory and all her actions make sense. Shes unique feeling in the fact shes that kind of character, from a time where people weren't really MAKING that kind of character. So she coems off as feeling much better written.

Then they come in and make her look exactly like all those 90s edgy characters and it feels like it sort of lweakens her identity as a whole.

I'm okay with the outfit when shes SUPER demoned out, like with hooves and horns, but not when its just like 'im wearing this all the time lel' type thing

Kitty was better when she had jew hair

Kitty is fucking whore who left great Colossus for Star Lord.

"Mutant Hitler"

It would be cool if they made a series about Magneto's powers manifesting while in Auschwitz. Would probably win an Emmy if it was great or something. Marvel needs to take advantage of X-men. Fox too

Colossus is the worst. Hes a total dick to his sister, with his never ending talk of his snowflake and he has a weird thing for a girl more than 5 years younger than him.

>he has a weird thing for a girl more than 5 years younger than him.
I think its the other way around.

Magik is definitely best when she's just in her black and yellow new mutant costume, or some variety of it. Same goes for the rest of the New mutants. I think they're the only team that can still pull off their original costumes.

Are you kiddin, mate? His sister is selfish psyho bitch. Also Colossus is really good guy.

You haven't read much X-men have you?

Maybe cause Sienkiewicz left such a huge mark on the series. Hes such a good artist, that he was able to sort of design these timeless uniforms.

>psyho
Cmon senpai. Il accept your Illyana bashing when you spell that word correctly. If your entire life was destroyedwl when you were 7 you would be a little bitchy too. Read New Mutants. Colossus is the worst member of the giant sized team

She's the main X Jew they need to capitalize on it!

No, no he has a point. Yeah, you can understand where shes coming from, but you're foolish to admit that she has never done something that makes her look psycho.

Shes fuckin demonic, its in her nature.

I sort of like its not made a big deal of, but its weird that its such a very unknown fact that not only is Kitty a jew, but shes actually a practicing one. Remember the whole thing with Dracula, where her star of david was effective?

I mean its not a huge change, but its clear they were sort of making her more 'traditionally' pretty by straightening out her jew-fro

how come all the shows and movies have always been shit at making cyclops as good as he should be? literally everyone who hates cyclops has only known him through those

Exactly, maybe we're not seeing eye to eye. People often think of her as a villain, but she's not she's just a corrupt demonic girl. The first guy made it seem like she was just evil to be evil like Red Skull or Joker. She's better written than that.

ah, well then yeah. she isn't a villain, but thats what makes her enjoyable. Shes a doomed character. she'll try and do good, and soemtimes will be downright hopeful, but it doesn't change the fact that down to her core, shes corrupted. Shes broken. Shes of another nature.

Her essence is unpure in a way only people like Doctor Strange will understand.

I think it was that and also big hair wasn't the cool popular thing anymore. Hopefully when she comes back to X-men she will eventually get it back again. I can't be the only one that hates pony tail kitty. Also I do really like how she's a practicing Jew. I also like how Kurt is Catholic. If Marvel really wanted diversity they would write more characters like them.

Cyclops is a hard character to simplify for a kids show so they take the easiest traits to make big and they use them. The movies are just trash.

Totally! It almost makes me wish she had stayed dead after inferno. Characters like Illyana are hard to write for serials. I love the character but I wouldn't mind her disapearing for a few years. Unless they bring her back with the New Mutants. The keep her around forever.

The problem is that it was all Claremont's genius, which can't really be replicated.

Face it, the man is probably the one of the most, if not the most gifted at making a diverse team feel not like a gimmick, and make it work well. Not only could he do it with their birth places, but their religions well and not make it feel hammy.

In fact one thing I loved is how the different religious characters interacted. For instance Rahne Sinclair is devoutly christain, and because she was brought up in a sort of fucked up way, for a lot of the runs shes in believes shes a demon. She isn't, shes just a mutant, but basically she thinks shes a pawn of satan, all that jazz blah blah blah. her religion is like an overcast that hangs on her heavily. Other characters USE their relgiion to help her out. Like Sam Gunther at one point is like 'look chick, I'm a hillbilly from kentucky, of course I was brought up religious as fuck too. So let me use my point of view in christianity to connect to your's, to help you out' and it was really nice

His body is right.

I think shes doing allright now, not the best but not terrible.

Honestly I think just a good sort of mini solo series to straighten her out would work wonders. Like another 4 part series, or maybe something like 13 parts, that just sort of help focus on who her character is for the modern reader. You know a sort of soft reboot of her.

Her with the New mutants is great though. I love how shes playful and flirty with them. yum

i mean youre right, but it still sucks. Hes a character thats really good mainly because of such a huge long continuity. You take that sort of responsibile, righteous, blah blah kind of guy, and pile years and years and years of just SHIT all over him. Just keep shitting on him, and because of that hes fascinating.

If you don't have those years of shit on him, defining him, you just get a boring base version.

Yeah right! It's totally realistic writing. Showing how religion could be used both as a tool to better yourself and to hurt people. I kinda wish we would get more X-men philosophy that We got from Claremont.

they have Dust, who is a practicing Muslim, but I think she got killed off a few years back

TOP FUCKING KEK.

I kinda miss the yellow and white hippie costumes the more recent new x-men had

Yes and no.
Retconned the very next storyline as having survived her injuries.

( Also, M was the first Muslim X-Man. )

Yeah. From the same writer we have so many examples. We show how it may not really impact a character's life at all like with Kitty. We show how it can improve a character, such as it aiding Kurt's wisdom and humanity.

Then in works like God Loves Man Kills, it shows how it can be destructive for the entire world.

Its just like.. He does a great job at being unbiased to it all and showing so many sides of the same coin. Plus the fact that he was a writer for SO god damn long while working on so many books at the same time. Jesus why aren't we talking more about him than Moore or Miller all the damn time

Most overrated?
The mutant Captain America Mary Sue.

Most Underappreciated?
Genre Hope, minus Teon and Hopeless.

Most overrated run?
People talk about Astonishing X-Men alot but literally everything I've ever heard about it makes me not want to read anything past the initial issue, which I got for free.

Favorites?
Jean
Logan and 'Ro

any Dani lewd?

what's the best run for weirder / fun stories?

Yet another reason why God Loves Man Kills is one of the greatest comic books of all time.

has best girl been seen since Secret Wars?

New Mutants vol 1 and 3 are the best runs with her.

Most overrated?
The mutant Captain America Mary Sue.

Most Underappreciated?
Generation Hope, minus Teon and Hope.

Most overrated run?
People talk about Astonishing X-Men alot but literally everything I've ever heard about it makes me not want to read anything past the initial issue, which I got for free.

Favorites?
Jean
Logan and 'Ro

Magik is in Extraordinary X-men. And yes I know that pic isn't Magik.

she should have hooked up with Spider-Man

I read both of those
I meant fun /weird in general
not necessarily New Mutants, which are my jam

Yeah exactly. The original O5 X-men were boring, especially Scott. But he has been molded into the best written X-men. So it's a shame the movies and shows use the original Scott for a base.

Serious question: Anyone else feel like the X Men work better as their own separate entity instead of being a part of the larger Marvel universe?

- Most Overrated?
- Most Underappreciated?
It's constantly shifting. Whatever fad of the month character a writer is pushing in their run.
We've all seen a character show up and kick ass and take names just because they're some writer's fave and the very next issue some other writer with a different pet X-Man will show someone else stealing the spotlight.
There's good powers, lousy powers, strong characters, weak characters, but unless someone is willing to write their faves as weaker than the known heavy-hitters there's not going to ever be any set list for this.

Tarot deserved better

As an aside, I really do like when the colorists get experiment. Along with the letterer (Tom Orzechowski), it's a massively underrated part of the comic.

Definitely not. The whole "they make no sense being fear and hated" thing is nonsense. People just say that because of the movie rights debacle. Many are just used to it being seperate.

the sense of overbearing oppression isn't quite the same unless there's other heroes with powers getting away with everything.

the whole X-Men brand runs on 'It's not fair!' sentiments

Thats a question thats been asked for like 20 years now

I'm not sure. On one hand, a lot of it doesn't make sense. Mutants are hated and feared, but other heroes just sort of get off scott free. Why would a mutant ever be scared if they could just start lying and say they're a hero that got their powrs from radiation or something.

On the other hand, it does create some interesting scenarios where the x-men can outright confront other heroes with issues such as 'why have none of you fuckers helped against the world wide racism we're dealing with'.

The problem is, not enough writers are really exploring those kind of angles. Its kind of being started upw tih Cyclops, but not to the extent that I'd like.

>Most overrated mutant?
Cyclops
Bishop
>Overrated
Later Morrison
>Underrated
I feel like Jim Lee's stuff, and early 90's in general, deserves more attention.
>Why is your favorite mutant your favorite
Because their story arc isn't complete. They still have some ways to improve.

Right now its Betsy Braddock. Tomorrow I bet it's Gambit again.

reposting my thread post from the other day because I really do thing Cyclops has largely done more harm than good and would like to present a counterargument to the usual.

>Cyclops is an emotional wreck who can't actually function
>Cheated/left Multiple wives
>Kicked Professor X out of the leadership of the X-Men, only to accept Magneto as his Consigliere and marginalize Professor X when he came back for literally no reason.
>Created a kill squad to preemptively stop mutant threats that was directly responsible for creating multiple attacks on Mutantkind during the Utopia era, like Necrosha and Second Coming
>Created a second Genosha via public spat with the head of HAMMER, creating a target for mutant-haters everywhere, and completely 180'd his positive mutant PR campaign for fear mongering via extinction team
>Okayed/ordered emotionally traumatized/unwell teenagers killing his opponenets
>decided to okay Child Soldiers in the X-Men, despite capable adults being there to do their job
>Trained Hope for the Phoenix via physical abuse, actually failed in his job and wasn't able to properly help her control Phoenix, and Iron Fist, Scarlet Witch, and Spider-Man had to do the job instead.
>Started a war with the Avengers because muh phoenix, LITERALLY threw the first punch and started the war instead of trying to work with them.
>As Phoenix, refused to restart the mutant gene, went Dark Phoenix, and killed Professor X, fracturing the X-Men even further
>Decided to further imperil mutants via nervous breakdown disguised as "militant revolution", dragged teenagers and college aged kids into said revolution, barely trained them, then dumped them onto the other X-Men
>did more to set back human-mutant relations than anyone since Magneto, and then ignited a war not only with the humans, but with the Inhumans

I think that mutants are in a worse place than ever before due to Cyclops, with the exception of Second Coming, when he absolutely saved the day.

Double dubs I suppose speak the truth. I guess it is fair with the hero bias, racism isnt supposed to make sense anyway.

>Why would a mutant ever be scared if they could just start lying
the X-Gene is pretty easy to detect. There's plenty of cases where by the time the X-Men have detected a newly awakened mutant and flown in there, a nearby rogue Sentinal is already trying to kill the kid

They do work better as a separate universe.

If there is a shit-ton of other ways for humans to get powers, mutants aren't unusual or a threat to outclass everyone else.

I won't even give you the pleasure of debating these things. Cyclops was right.

Stupid wrong people probably do.

Fuck Wolverine. That dudes a dickhole. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Yeah you're right about that. I guess it would be hard to pretend to be something else if a random sentinel shows up, like they always do, to rain on your parade.

Cyclops is ten times the man Charles ever was

Yeah Xavier's a monster.

10? Scott Summers is 100x better than the Xavier. Scott never once went to space with his bird Jerk Girlfriend. Cyclops never had a think for an underage girl. Basically the professor is the worst.

They work better when the writer(s) are unencumbered by editorial fiat, are talented enough to not rehash the same 5 stories and care enough about the X-men to get them right

They were bland in the original team set-up, but when they were included in the Claremont team's stories they really stood out.
Some of the best interactions in X-stories are always between the different generations.

NO. That's a horrible idea. Some of the most important panels have been of Wolverine or Cyclops or even Magneto getting right in Captain America's face and demanding to know why he stands up for and protects and saves humans from persecution but leaves mutants to be protected by someone else.
That's one of the big reasons why the Avengers are always fighting the X-Men, even when they're showing up to fight the same villains.
Also, it's really creepy that you're looking for a way to force anti-mutant bigotry to somehow be justified.

You'd think there would be hot cosplay of her, but nope!

Xavier would be better if he wasn't a mutant. Prove me wrong.