I thought gringo meant a white person, does it just mean non-mexican?

I thought gringo meant a white person, does it just mean non-mexican?

>it just mean non-mexican
In Latin America it means a foreigner, Canadians are gringos to you

wasnt aware that word was used in other countries

It mostly refers to white foreigneirs mostly americans, at least here in Mexico
The black dude is just usa wanting us to hate blacks for appropiating the term.
Or is just an idiot director which i highly doubt.

>A mild-mannered American businessman finds himself in over his head after traveling to Mexico. >He soon crosses the line from citizen to criminal while tangling with shady colleagues, international mercenaries, drug lords and the DEA.
Sounds retarded. Hope it flops hard.

We don't call Euros gringos, it's just Americans. Brazilians use the term differently.

I wouldn't call a Black person a gringo

Here it is a synonym with unitedstatians, is used for anyone from LOS regardless of race

*realistic

I would, you guys use the term I think to mean the same as Spanish guiri, in México we generally use güero for white but that applies to Mexicans as well, as an opposite to moreno, so it isn't exclussive to gringos.

We don't really have a term for "white foreigner" gabacho comes to mind, that's Frenchman in Spain, but in Mexico applies to Americans. Euros we call either Europeos, or by their proper demonym.

gringo means gringo, gringo

Then, how to call white people in mexico?

>you guys
Aren't you replying to another mexican?

güero

blanquito

>unitedstatians
Do you actually use this(or whatever its non calqued form is)? Disgusting

My bad, I meant to reply to a Chilean user who apparently deleted his post.

>Canadians are gringos to you

but all of my spanish teachers said it doesn't apply to us

Estadounidense, yes, we use that in formal contexts, it's how you'd be called in our news programs.

vende quesos

White and speaks english = gringo. the black dudes usually named negro gringo or just negro, negrito. But if he/she cames in a gringo group these doesnt apply just "gringo" too
The brown people is called latino, chicano, pocho or paisa, depends the apereance and situation

That user is Brazilian, he speaks Portuguese. Gringo doesn't apply to you in Mexico.

Turn off that proxy, gringo means American in Mexico. Obama is a gringo.

well, we use gringo. only on formal occasions we use estadounidense
I dont think so, I have never seen gringo applied to a non-US person
it doesnt

Is the word gringo the same level as the one used to look down a black person? It doesn't trigger me

You are a canadian gringo.

gringo means procedence not race.

why is there a nigger in the middle?

Gringo and gook are both slang terms that came about from wars due to language fuckery.

During the Mexican War, there was a battle in which Mexican soldiers yelled in English at some advancing US Marines "Green, go home!" (because they wore green uniforms) which somehow got mutilated intro "gringo".

Gook came about in the Korean War because the Korean word for "American" is "mi-gyuk" and American soldiers would pass Korean civilians along the roadside who would exclaim "Mi-gyuk!" and the soldiers started to joke that the Koreans were referring to themselves by saying "Me gook."

You don't call Brits, Aussies or Canadians gringos, unless you're a ñero uneducated enough you unironically can't tell they're from different countries.

I've never seen any Mexican refer to a pocho as Latino and Chicano is not exactly a common term either. Paisa could be other Mexicans as well.

>Turn off that proxy
What did he mean by this?

Spaniards used to call all foreigners "griegos" (Greek) it comes from that. Gringo has different meanings depending on where you are, in Brazil it means foreigner in general, it Mexico it is used as a replacement for American (Estadounidense), since Estadounidense is too long, formal and dull.

The Mexican-American war origin is a myth

Yeah, I saw your other post and it seemed strange for the user who deleted his comment as I've only know Brazilians to use gringo like guiri.

>During the Mexican War, there was a battle in which Mexican soldiers yelled in English at some advancing US Marines "Green, go home!" (because they wore green uniforms) which somehow got mutilated intro "gringo".
>t.
It actually (probably) comes from a spanish for greek.
Damn, this posterbeat me to it.

Not that guy, but I assume that because these posts are so tremendously stupid and wrong that it's unthinkable an actual Mexican would post it.

If you are actually Mexican he is giving you credit

>You don't call Brits, Aussies or Canadians gringos, unless you're a ñero uneducated enough

I dont remember the "Identification of anglo accents" lessons on the elementary school.

Green go is a pretty cool folk etymology and I wish it was true but it's not, the term seems to have originated in griego which means Greek and seems to have originally been used simply for foreigner, see this guy American soldiers in the Mexican-American war wore blue.

Are not some Mexicans white? I think the Mexican president is white.

gringo comes from griego meaning greek, you know how we have the expression "it's all greek to me" even when it's some fucking african unga boonga shit? same thing with gringo, it cam refer to anything foreign

Nope. Or actually, you're pretending it is a fact but it is not known.

>The Oxford English Dictionary states that the origin of the current usage is unknown.[2] There are three suggested possible origins:

An earlier usage of gook, meaning "prostitute", recorded in a slang dictionary published in 1893, which defined gook as "a low prostitute";[4] a similar meaning was recorded for gooh in 1859.[5] This later came to imply a foolish or peculiar person.[6] The goo-goo term, whose origins are similarly uncertain, was first used in 1899 by U.S. troops in the Philippine–American War,[7] although nigger was more prevalent.[8]
That when American servicemen heard the term during the Korean War, they heard the word as 'gook" instead of k(g)uk which means "national" (maybe, thus, interpreted as nationalist) goo-goo (also gugu), a term used by the U.S. military to describe Filipinos.[6]
That "gook" comes from the Korean word "국" (guk), meaning "country",[9] "한국" (hanguk), meaning "Korea", or "미국" (miguk), meaning "America".[10] For example, U.S. soldiers might have heard locals saying miguk, referring to Americans, and misinterpreted this as "Me gook."[11] "Mỹ Quốc"[12] is an archaism in Vietnamese that died out due to a language shift, starting from just before the Indochina Wars and culminating with the end of that period often referred to as the Vietnam War, which has the same root and similar pronunciation to Korean "미국" (miguk) both stemming from Chinese characters "美國"(Měiguó) also meaning "America."

white in hispanic standards: yes.

I do remember geography in elementary school, if you know someone is a Brit you wouldn't call him a gringo.

dont worry leaf, i doubt anyone in LATAM knows the difference between an american and a canadian.

no, it does not. it can be used that way though.

Can you just stfu?

Our president wouldn't be called a güero unless a marchanta was buttering him up to sell avocados to him.

>if you know
>know
Thanks for for giving me the reason

the mexicans that are that white don't involve themselves with the mestizo masses unless they're paying them

mexicans are gringo

At least here in Colombia Gringo means American, irregardless of race. Canadians and Europeans are referred to according to their nationality. I know this varies in other Latin American countries but that's how it works here

>le dictionary meme

>that reading comprehension
read the entire shit again, im sure you can make it

>the state of Americax2

Seriously, are you a Chicano? yes, you might call a German a gringo at a distance then talk to him and say No era gringo, me dijo algo que sonaba a volkswagen, if you look at the guy and see a tattoo that reads "proud husband of a Paki sex slave" then you wouldn't call him a gringo, would you?

It really isn't like that at all

If you could grab a shotgun and blow your heads off you would be doing us all a favor

╔═════════════════ ೋღღೋ ════════════════╗
.........................................REMINDER........................................

THIS OP IS A NOTORIOUS AMERICAN SCHIZOPHRENIC TROLL
WHO IS OBSESSED WITH MEXICO/WHITENESS POSTING DOZENS
OF FLAMEBAITS LIKE THIS ON Sup Forums EVERY DAY FOR YEARS
HE IS NOT A SANE MAN HE IS POSSESSED WITH PARANOIA
YOU CANNOT EXPECT A COHERENT RESPONSE FROM HIM
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS THREAD AND JUST LET HIM ALONE
WHAT HE NEEDS IS NOT A REPLY BUT MEDICAL TREATMENT

╚═════════════════ ೋღღೋ ════════════════╝

........................................REMINDER.......................................

...........................................REMINDER..........................................

........................................REMINDER......................................

>you might call a German a gringo at a distance then talk to him and say No era gringo,
Yes
>me dijo algo que sonaba a volkswagen
this is optional
>if you look at the guy and see a tattoo that reads "proud husband of a Paki sex slave" then you wouldn't call him a gringo
the redneks are gringos too

I just realize that we do not have a formal word for sandniggers, spains calls them "moros" can we use that?

Gohan

Tehniacally yes but I'd just call them morenos, which kinda comes from the same word but isn't meant to evoke centuries of feud.

And keke, on rednecks, they don't have much in the way of Pakis in the south, I meanty Nigel. A gringo's would read "proud husband of a black cumdump"

>marchanta was buttering him up to sell avocados to him
That's not really saying much. They call me güero and I'm dark as fuck since my mom is from the black region of Veracruz.

my mommy told me once that they call anyone güero as a compliment to try to make them buy their stuff

>compliment
Nah, it's probably just a custom, someone called my grandpa 'joven' but she didn't even look at him until we laughed.