Alien: Covenant

Finally got around to seeing this and fuck me, I thought you guys were overstating how bad it was. I found myself consciously wondering throughout the film whether I was supposed to give a fuck about the deaths of any of the crew -in fact the one sweet taste it left in my mouth was that David won and they all died, which now has me wondering whether the two-dimensional characters were intentional after all and Scott is actually secretly a psychological genius. Might be reaching there.

Does anyone have anything good to say about this disappointment?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZiA1zm0V4FY
youtube.com/watch?v=FvckAPWH7cY
youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I liked the ship design.

Why was Walter experimenting on human embryos before he even met David?

Why did Walter rig James Franco's pod to burn?

You enjoyed the late 90s cgi looking solar sails?

Is this David's endgame?

I didn't think it sucked as much as Prometheus did, but as an ex-military dude, the "stronk womyn" shit was just insufferable.

What was I supposed to feel when Danny McBride and the two showerbait crew members were arguing over moving the ship closer to the planet? Was that supposed to be suspenseful?

I was the first one to guess the twist

the women were incompetent except for ripley 3.0

It was so offensively obvious it's a stretch it call it a twist.

>Scott dwelve in the origin of the xenomorphs
>completeley forgets the actual question everbody wanted to know, the origin and purpose of the space jockeys

Did David download Walter's info from Bluetooth or something? I mean Mother should have detected a new device.

Go back to Guardians of the Galaxy underage faggot.

why was everyone so stupid and incompetent?

Why would you ignore a basic quarantine risk?

Why would you follow some cloaked stranger just because he fires a flare and scares away the monsters?

Why would you go shoving your face in spore-like alien plants?

Why did they force the twist down your throat with a shot to David grabbing a knife?

Why was the only shot of the Space Jockeys showing them as primitive looking folk who gather in excitement because a flying banana turd?

How does this connect to Alien?

Is there gonna be a 3rd prequel?

The David/Walter thing was supposed to be a twist?

Fuck off with your false flag bullshit, you fat dyke.

>Franchise called aliens
>new film shows the are not aliens

I just accepted going in that it would be shit and went for morbid curiosity. For the record, Alien is my favorite film and I am an Alien 3 detractor. I only see these flicks anymore to stay hip to the culture, and I divorce them from my favorite film psychologically.

The crew were equally as stupid and "vibrant" as that in prometheus, so those two flicks are identical in that sense. This flick is Prometheus' companion in the sense that their (proper, act one and two) crews are equally worthless, ugly and forgettable, in favor of what other stuff is going on /elsewhere/. Specifically the droids (david and his lawful good clone), the engineer people, etc. The prime-age humans are totally uninteresting in these movies, and we only care about the robots, the aliens, the decrepit (if at all). Both crews also do incredibly stupid shit like exposing themselves to alien environments "just 'cos".

that said, I know the art history of Alien, and so I was very gratified that Ridley inserted a very clear reference to Bocklin's "Isle of the Dead" painting" in this film. Even the abomination in the OP is ever-closer to Francis Bacon's original vision from his Triptych, which Giger expressly cited as a direct influence on the chestburster idea.

Apart from these little ego-strokes for me, yeah, the film is forgettable and shit. One thing I remember really liking from Prometheus was the intensity of the "emergency abortion" scene (a nice reply to the male oral rape of the original), but then the energy of the scene just gets snuffed out by her stupidly stumbling into le old mane, oh le whoops, now le real mission. Bad transition IIRC.

I also seem to recall a good 4-5 hackneyed references to earlier films, specifically in terms of line delivery: "blow this fucker off into space!".

What were you supposed to feel during the BLACKED scene?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZiA1zm0V4FY

>Right into his mouth
That was really retarded.

Why are the engineers so useless?

I guessed when i saw his blonde hair had grown out with brown roots for no reason at all. Which was right away - so i doubt it.

I liked it

- No answer
- No answer
- Because they were being massacred by neomorphs and had no way off the planet
- No answer
- Guess to show that david's cunning beat out tech superiority
- Bluray talks about the engineers trying to repent for their great sin of creation, so the destruction of earth was a huge deal and the ship that was to do this returning would be an event of religious significance. Why they are all there, didnt communicate with the ship at all and why the ship wouldnt return to the other planet who knows.
- I chronologically cannot
- Scott says so

Me too, bro
I don't care that much about the characters being dumb

The first thing I thought of when the cloaked stranger thing happened was the scene from that Uwe Boll House of the Dead movie where pretty much the exact same thing happens.

>Why did they force the twist down your throat with a shot to David grabbing a knife?

Ridley obviously wanted to leave you thinking throughout the action sequence wether it would be a twist or a red herring, I don't understand how people don't get this.
You're completely right about the rest though, and I'd add
>Why did they go without helmets the moment they stepped off the ship in a completely unknown environment?

I thought the plot was rather weird. That the Xenomorphs were created by David. I never imagined that that was how they came to be. Other than David though a lot of the characters were very boring! It was like Michael Fassbender was carrying the whole film on his shoulders. The so called Androids had more life than the humans. Though Daisy Ridley gave an awesome performance in this film though.

Fassbender is amazing. David and Walter feel so different
Even you didn't know what David did in prometheus you could tell that he was fucked up

I wanted this movie to focus more on the aliens themselves and the crew trying to survive. Instead we got another story about ethics, morals, God complexes and the meaning of life and evolution.

Fuck this shit I wanted to see scary tension like in the old movies but instead we got some Sci-Fi Action garbage with muh ethics as the main subplot.

Doesn't he use a "David-something" code to get into the embryo cryo room at the very end?

For that at least I just assumed David backdoored all the Weyland systems years ago and since the ship is made by them it's all the same root systems.

Why couldn't Prometheus just be a cool series of movies about the Androids in the universe of Alien but with no connection outside the time periods and Waylan.

>- Bluray talks about the engineers trying to repent for their great sin of creation, so the destruction of earth was a huge deal and the ship that was to do this returning would be an event of religious significance. Why they are all there, didnt communicate with the ship at all and why the ship wouldnt return to the other planet who knows.
This is the kind of shit that needs to be IN THE FILM and not on some fucking blue ray disc I'll never watch, because the film made no sense

So why did David kill the Dr. from Prometheus his travel buddy?
>says he feels love towards her
>knows she saved his life and reassembled him

Did they get to the engineer homeworld and David just decides suddenly that all sentient life is shit, not just humans; so he nukes the engineers and kills her when she resists?

Does he kill her en route to the engi world because despite whatever he feels for her she's still human and has to die?

Does he obliterate the homeworld with the goo and fake the crash all while keeping her in the dark about what actually happened?

Why vivisect her remains? Am I to infer from the "classic" alien eggs in the basement that David repurposed her eggs via his weird goo breeding program?

He says to Ripley 3 in this movie that he's been "waiting for mother" - is the idea to get a queen alien bred? Or was his plan to actually alien rape her and see what would happen if she gave birth to the weird fucks?

Like this whole thing was a mess but it ironically could've used more exposition

i think there's an extra scene where he says that she didn't want to join him or something

Join him in the genocide or the experimenting with Evil goo life or the living on the engineer world forever?

The part where all the characters go to sleep and suddenly wake up in an Alien remake killed it for me.

Raimi made it better

I think it's the later
youtube.com/watch?v=FvckAPWH7cY

I agree, the diverse roles were really good it was easy to forget that they were the same person sometimes.

>Franko dodging the bullet

What I hate about this movie is that it's actually 3 movies.

It's Prometheus 2/Aliens Reboot/Alien remake all in one film.

Honestly if it was just about the crew surviving in the wild on some random planet with aleuns running around it would be kino.

Anyone else laughed when Franco died?

Kinda me. I thought that this was stupid, but in the end I started thinking that did it on purpose to escape from those morons

It's one of those movies where it feels like I could have farted out a better script, and I have never written a screenplay in my life.

That part where the main chick pulls aside the captain and says "I don't think going down to the planet is a good idea" felt so utterly forced and out of character, like it was put in there to fulfill a quota.

Her character should have the biggest motivation to explore the mysterious planet, seeing as how her husband had just died and her previous plans had fallen through.

40 years later no one can beat this low budget shit
youtube.com/watch?v=LjLamj-b0I8

The minute you see him reach for the knife you knew exactly what the twist was going to be

Post moar.

>slasher movie in space

wow so hard to beat.

Alien is gay.

> - Bluray talks about the engineers trying to repent for their great sin of creation, so the destruction of earth was a huge deal and the ship that was to do this returning would be an event of religious significance. Why they are all there, didnt communicate with the ship at all and why the ship wouldnt return to the other planet who knows.

I could see this working but there is absolutely no indication that this is what happening and even a fucking genius would not come to this conclusion by just watching the movies. It failed completely to deliver that point so it just looks like the engineers are a bunch of retards.

Also the general idea of prequels like this is stupid in the first place. You know that it's guaranteed everyone will die in the end since nobody really knew about the xenomorphs existing in Alien 1 other than the corporation kind of having an idea of what is going on. As if you need even less incentive to care about the bland characters.

>How does this connect to Alien?
>Is there gonna be a 3rd prequel?

these were supposed to be answered in the 2 planned pre-quels.

but FOX has put the Alien franchise on hold after the Box Office debut of Covenant.

basically you're going to have to wait probably 10 to 15 years for another try at a Alien movie,again.

t-thanks Scott

i really felt they should just stuck with the Prometheus storyline. then moved on to a Alien movie. all this movie did was make Prometheus look great. i did think Prometheus was decent. i wanted to learn more about the Engineers and what Shaw had planned and stuff.

Name one. Fucking one

As soon as I saw this I knew this was going to be a bad movie.

Why?

>sails

They're some sci-fi shit to gather energy.
They just look like sails.

The idea that a spacecraft that massive could utilize sails that gigantic and never expect any sort of incident (like the one that occurs 5 seconds later) just got me very annoyed. Especially when it's implied that's the way it collects a lot of its energy. There's no way a ship like this gets designed and built.

The film then went on and just became even more retarded once the humans woke up.

solar energy and yes normal sails also work kind like that. You cannot power interstellar ship with a solar power

How much time passes between Covenant and Alien? They need to place the new David xenomorps on LV-426, including a queen that has to shit the eggs they find in the crashed spaceship in Alien.

It wasn't solar energy, they said something about netrons.
The accident occurs because a neutron collision or something like that.

Even then, saying that "solar energy" (or any kind of energy source, since it isn't actually solar) isn't enough to power the ship isn't really an argument that can stand by itself since we know jack about the efficiency of the systems aboard. Simply put, this is a soft sci-fi movie, don't expect in-depth scientific dissertations.

Yeah the problem they have now is both Prometheus and Covenant are pretty trash *but* if they can stick it out and give Scott one more, the interesting parts of the narrative arc can be salvaged and the whole thing (sort of) redeemed.

They shouldn't have given him another shot after Prometheus. But now that Covenant happened it'll be even worse to not at least attempt to wrap this whole David arc up.

"Classic" zenos are his creation, fine, whatever. Just get a jockey ship filled with eggs crashed on LV for ripley to find and fuck off. Maybe someone else will actually bother with the engineers properly next time.

>isn't enough to power the ship isn't really an argument that can stand by itself since we know jack about the efficiency of the systems aboard.
unless its a magic you just cannot do this. Also during during such journeys you cannot stop. Alien from 1979 was smart enough not to touch upon this topic. But nooo lets show some fucking sails. We will be the cool ones

>Why would you follow some cloaked stranger just because he fires a flare and scares away the monsters?
This one is valid, they were getting killed by a rabid minime rat that came out of their friend's mouth.
Anyone would go with the cloaked man.

>Why was the only shot of the Space Jockeys showing them as primitive looking folk who gather in excitement because a flying banana turd?
Maybe they were not the Jockeys, maybe they were like us, another failed experiment made by the engineers and they thought their makers were coming back for them.

>she's into black guys
>a really, really black guy appears

Be careful what you wish for, coalburner.

It was mentioned in an interview that there will be space jockeys appearing again soon. So it is possible that these aren't not the engineers. Maybe a colony of them that aren't part of the military/scientists.

i literally deleted the file after 25 minutes.

The only interesting part of the movie was Davids whole speel about creation and his geneitic engineering. Whilst I don't think it should have been the origin of the Xenomorph, it was kinda interesting. Specially with what he did to Shaw and what he is going to do to the colonists, they are literally swinging from meat hooks.

what did prometheus mean by this?

I literally gave up on pleasuring your mom after five minutes, and switched to your dad.

not sci-fi obviously but the original slasher, psycho is still the best.

begs the question about what purpose the 2D characters would serve in the long run

I think you are reaching and it was just bad writing

Jason X.

top kek, i love Sup Forums now.

cute loli

"You hold it while I do the fingering"

Did anyone else burst out laughing at the cinema when David said this?

>Does anyone have anything good to say about this disappointment?
The Neomorphs were creepy as fuck and somehow made up for the awful xenomorpths.

I'm not a skillful man.

What does it mean if I didn't like Prometheus but did like Covenant?

absolute pleb

>David's endgame
Literally Resurrection.

>taking off helmets after a while
>not wearing helmets at all

You lick windows

Brain problems.

Someone explain this to me.
So what we see in Covenant and Alien 1 is separated only 20 years.

In this time what will have to happen.

Colony ship flies to a new star system in deep space.
Next movie takes place.
David gets his hands on ANOTHER alien ship.
Fills it up with alien pods.
Flies to yet another star system.
Crashesh on LV-426.
Spends decades? there.

Is it me or something dosnt add up here.

cancer patients

how dis make u feel white boi

Thats a really fucking tiny capital of a race.
How would they even mien for the metal required for the ship and station when they barely have enough people to produce food.

it's not the engineer homeplanet

>"Lets go to engineer home planet"
>actually its not the home planet, lmao
What?
Says who its not, you?

The same so far.

Average white people desu

I watched the movie and I thought it was one of the best Alien movies, can anyone explain to me why is a bad movie? The end is great.

The flute scene was epic kino 10/10

The kiss scene was as good as the whole scene involving Cia and Bane

He's gonna die before FOX gives him some pennies to make the next movie, right.

I liked her and that ridleynigger let her die during the dumbest death scene in flick history