Defend this show

defend this show

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AMQaUxMowJo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We get it. You don't like it and other people do. Go about your own business.

Has a wry sense of satirical humor, very unique take on what would normally be a cliche premise, and character dynamics that are both real and interesting to watch.

it's tongue in cheek and fun while showing moments of genuine self-reflection and sincerity.

I remember Sup Forums loved this show back in Season 1. What happened?

>tongue and cheek

what the fuck does this buzzword even mean

Season 2 arguably wasn't as good as season 1.

Because Sup Forums discovered that Reddit likes it

Other people started liking it besides Sup Forums.

And, as usual, the 90% of people that make up Sup Forums purely to shitpost and troll make constant bait posts to get the 10% who actually care to reply to them.

Man, I hate this fucking site.

>buzzword
>it's multiple words

Reddit's fascination with the show is borderline obsessively creepy along with acceptance of the general populace and Sup Forums's contrarian attitude as a whole and I'm not saying that in a negative way

It doesn't take itself as seriously as you think it does.

It got popular with normies and Reddit integrated it into their loadout of psuedointellectual popsci bullshit.

a buzzphrase if you will

Sup Forums is hipsterfags. people like it, so now it's uncool.

I don't even sincerely reply anymore

I just drop shitty bait for other people to reply to, after a while you learn what topics get people riled up

It was popular with normies from the get go; for fucks sake, it airs on Adult Swim, the normiest cartoon shit there is.

The tongue-in-cheek figure of speech is used to imply that a statement or other production is humorously or otherwise not seriously intended, and it should not be taken at face value. The facial expression typically indicates that one is joking or making a mental effort. In the past, it may also have indicated contempt, but that is no longer common.
That's what wikipedia says

Sorry guys, but Rick and Morty really isn't that good. I'm not saying this to be contrarian, I really enjoyed it the first time I watched it. However, watching it again made me notice how lazy it is. Almost every single episode is a stupid movie parody, with some superficial sci-fi themes and lame improvisations. Rewatching Rick and Morty was a bad idea, because the things you initially thought were imaginative and funny turn out to be really cobbled together, obnoxious, and often forgettable. Not that there aren't genuinely good episodes, but as a whole it rarely manages to have a consistent quality, and it hardly raises to anything above Futurama or even early Family Guy.

It doesn't pretend that anyone is a good person, only more or less interesting.

>the normiest cartoon shit there is.
No, that's Pixar in general, FOX if you're only counting tv.

I like it

Futurama before or after the first cancellation?because there is a difference

My favorite episode was that one where Stephen Colbert played an alien

A universe inside of a box was actually kind of a cool concept

GTFO Justin

The box episode is one of my favorites.

Do you really have to fucking ask?

It's like reject sci-fi writers wanted something they could throw their ideas to without committing to continuity, lore, or science and made it a cartoon.

Season 2 was a let down.

>Reddit and Morty
>not Reddit and Memey
You had one job.

It's all the same shit.

There really isn't. You either like Futurama or thought you did because you started watching it as a child.

I cant defend against criticisms you dont make.

Tell me your problem with the show and I will tell you why it is a legitimate response. This show isnt for everyone and even its fans were let down by season 2

Opinions cannot be wrong because they are true to the person that states them.

Yet somehow your opinion was so bad that it is actually false.

Honestly I can't handle the forced sad segments, everyone memes about that one episode where rick tries to kill himself but it just feels out of place and almost tryhard

Also every episode it's like they need to remind us that they are a dysfunctional family, nigga we get it

I feel like maybe that's part of the cycle of Sup Forums eternally latching on to new thing and then getting contrarian or hipster as fuck when new thing gets popular.

It's tongue in cheek. In.

Define forced

After watching some of the earlier episodes again I noticed the major difference between them an the newer episodes.
No one makes the faces in OP anymore. There's just none of that strange off putting idle faces for the characters.

daily reminder that rick did nothing wrong

Coming out of nowhere

It all depends on how much you sympathize with Rick as to how those sad moments seem. One of my friends cant see rick as anything other than an asshole and he has the same criticism. I see him as someone who hates the person he became and uses the adventures with morty to help him forget what a shit he is. The sad moments are alright to me since they dont really take up the majority of the show and, rather, just give you a window into how fucked up Rick is.

>Dysfunctional family
Its them trying to keep the base of the show grounded in "reality". Remember the key to making sci-fi and fantasy click with the viewers is to give the watcher a base that they can identify with in some way. This helps them accept the bullshit that happens later.

>gets imprisoned, gets his ass beat, and goes through all kinds of retarded shenanigans on a daily basis that would break any normal person
>ricks gf breaks up with him
>better kill myself lol

Against what?

which is what i said.

It's Doctor Who for edgy boys enlightened by their own intelligence

Ahhh yes, as so many other shows are remembered for how later seasons were better then the prior. Nostalgia never plays it's hand

Psh, easy fuckin' peasy kiddo

I enjoy it

Season 1 was almost 30 fucking years ago, we got sick of the same old shit.

Season 2, on the whole, was not only "not as good" but demonstrated strong indicators that S3 would be even worse.

S2 wasn't bad. It was just worse. Summer got some great development, and then there was that assassin guy, and then the whole Poopy Buttwhole episodes which were all great, but when I think of Rick & Morty all the good episodes that come to mind happened in S1

>defend the show

Subtle and unsubtle homages to sci-fi flicks/books which I'm a sucker for. Wait, that's not a defence.

Uh.

It could be WORSE. There. Defended.

season 1 episodes would follow the Fibonacci sequence and get into really cool jams that made the show feel a lot bigger thanks to pacing and long, super intense sequences

youtube.com/watch?v=AMQaUxMowJo

Reddit likes it so now a segment of Sup Forums will hate it to be contrarian. Same as on Sup Forums.

I just can't bring myself to try this show because the scientist guy is so hideous. He's got a unibrow, bad teeth, always seems to have vomit, alcohol, or some combination of both on his face and clothing, and worst of all, I'm given to understand he's an atheist.

Maybe I'm a contrarian but anytime someone says "This is really good! You SHOULD watch it!!" I instantly get turned off the idea. At some point I decided to give it a go and watched the first episode and I didn't laugh so I never saw the second. Also the art style hurt my eyes, Ricks voice and speech patterns or whatever its called was like nails on a chalkboard and it sounded like every character was still in college doing the recording in some basement
Don't give a shit what reddit thinks about it

to be fair to Roiland, he does iron out the kinks with Rick's voice and speech patterns. later on he really mellows out when it comes to his use of "Morty" mid sentence.

>Maybe I'm a contrarian but anytime someone says "This is really good! You SHOULD watch it!!" I instantly get turned off the idea.

I've been like that too. It's gotten to the point where I try to shut myself off from opinions before I try something so I can decide for myself if I like it, and THEN see what other people think about it. The problem is I might not find out about some things that way, but the way I see it, if it's good enough to be worth watching, it will eventually find its way to me.

Can't argue with that.

>enlightened by their own intelligence
You're saying that as if it were a bad thing.

It USED TO have the Justin Roiland edgy absurdist humor

>Doctor Who for edgy boys enlightened by their own intelligence
So Doctor Who?

> dysfunction is reality
> it isn't realism if its beautiful

>Hating on the Roiland-isms

Go eat shit. Roiland was the only redeemable part of this show, and the vestiges of that are the only thing that gives it any identity instead of just being a watered-down Harmon rip-off of Seth Macfarlane

> Homestuck anchorbaby doesn't get the reference, or doesn't understand why doughy losers who falsely call themselves intelligent based on an understanding of basic bitch materialism are frowned upon

S2 is just as good as the first
The problem is that your perception changed because its not new anymore
If the episodes of the seasons were swapped youd still be calling the second one worse

>Homestuck
heh

There's nothing wrong with it, it's generally pretty entertaining.

The die hard fans on the other hand...