If it was discovered Mars had a huge amount of some valuable material resource...

If it was discovered Mars had a huge amount of some valuable material resource, how quickly would the space race be back on and why would India lose?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_space
spaceflightinsider.com/missions/iss/nasa-considers-handing-iss-private-company/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because they have British accents.

you do realize we will colonize mars by mid 2020's?

and guess whats going to be used to transfer value between the colonies.. you guessed right.. a cryptographic digital currency called BITCOIN.

Bitcoin is already stale, you can't even mine that shit anymore.

Not going to happen. The moon landing was a complete hoax.

We have never been in propper outer space.

Oh please.....

They are planning to send a small group to mars on a suicide mission to establish the foundations of a colony.

It'll be at least 50 years before anything resembling an actual habitation will be formed on mars if at all.

Bitcoin probably wont be used too much as I wish it would as I'm holding a fair number of them atm.

CURRY FLURRY BUT NO NEED TO HURRY
JUST POO IN THE STREET
NO NEED TO BURY

>you do realize we will colonize mars by mid 2020's?
They've been saying "next decade, next decade for sure!" since the 70s about space colonies.

It will not happen for another century probably, especially not within the next 2-3 decades. World is way too unstable.

The Earth may be flat, but what's on the bottom side?

You wouldn't need to reach "outer" space to get to the moon, outer space is outside the sol system.

You meant outer atmosphere, what are you implying anyway?

Next you'll be saying Stanley Kubrick did it.

The dankest spicy memes.

>why would India lose?
Because there are no streets to shit on in outer space.

It's exactly the same as this side, but instead of humans you have small green man living there.

Turtles.

That's where you end up if you disappear in the Bermuda triangle.

There is no business case for transporting anything from Mars and wont be any time this century.

The only possible business case for Mars is the potential market of people on Earth paying to go there (which is what SpaceX will try to tap into in the late 2020s).

desu, even if there was a giant rare material vein right on the surface it would be too costly to mine it, let alone ship it back to earth

Unless there's a colony wreck buried somewhere or literally some kind of residue fanua, you aren't getting a manne mission to mars approved by anyone

Yeah, how about you stop being a bigot? No amount of racist rhetoric is gonna stop India from having one of the strongest space programs in the world.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_space

talk to you folks again in 9 years.

even musk knows it.

Bro they thought humans would colonise the moon by the 80's or earlier.

I can pretty much guarantee that there is something of value on Mars.

You're posting on it

This. Mars could be a gigantic diamond or gold nugget and it wouldn't be worth going there and bringing minerals back to Earth.

>tfw we'll have SLS block II and Musk's BFR both flying 10 years from now
My dick can only get so hard tbqh

As a colony is well established, all you need is a mass driver in orbit (either railgun, or ballistic) to get shit back to Earth's orbit.

Also, remember less fuel is needed to get stuff from the surface of Mars to the mass driver, thanks to lower gravity and less athmospheric drag. Also, a space elevator would be feasible on Mars.

Though, it's unpractical to send the resources back on Earth surface, so Mars could be a less costly mining/manufacturing ground to deliver parts directly in space, and automatize the creation of colonies throughout the Solar system (but most likely around Earth/Moon and Mars)

you do realize its either mars or we have ww3 at our foot right? its gonna be nato vs russia, china, and everybody who rejects the US Dollar

>find diamond the size of a house
>load it up in the solar powered rail gun
>fire that shit back to earth
>it hits a city and causes a fucking huge explosion and 750,000 deaths

Depends what city.

Next decade for sure!!1!1 hehe :^)

>it hits London or Paris
>humanity wins

The only resources worth shit for us on other planets are energy sources, because no matter what you find, it's never worth the costs to ferry it back to earth or establish and supply operations on site.
For now, that's leaving basically just fossil fuels. Fissile materials might work, but they'd need to just lie there in pretty much already enriched and concentrated form to make it worth (mining, ore processing and enriching are a huge effort otherwise). And stuff like He3 can't be used yet.
So unless we find oil and an atmosphere to burn it in, tough luck.

Thought the F1 boosters got put on hold.

We already have a portal to mars

SLS is an example of what Congressional pork-barreling turns into when you pump money into NASA that's not R&D.

It's being built incredibly slowly at huge cost with all the bits and pieces spread out all over the USA. It's like that because congress sees NASA as a taxpayer-acceptable method of generating "contracts" (i.e. legal bribes) for huge defence contractors to set up operations in their districts.

SpaceX takes the opposite approach. Rocket design and manufacture takes place in the same building. They have one testing ground in Texas, one launchpad at Canaveral and the other at Vandeberg AFB. In 14 years they've gone from 680kg payload to orbit (with 3 failures) to a platform that can do 13,000kg to orbit (with 1 failure).

They're also launching (and landing) rockets virtually every month. In 2017 the Falcon Heavy will be the largest operational rocket ever built since the Saturn V.

I wish.

Also, I want a fucking Vril. But it's not happening anytime soon.

It's in Dulce

Ancap memes of the future?

Well, that's why I won't get it

>why live

Shit hitting earth at high speed is bad news.

I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure shit as tiny as a car would cause huge damage on a global scale if it fell from space. Luckily most of the shit that falls to earth burns up.

I don't think we'll ever have a manned mission to Mars. At least, not in my lifetime.

Glorious Ethnostate

It doesn't need to ram Earth, but its atmosphere. Aerobraking is a thing, for probes.
Why not for cargo.

You ever notice Mars looks like a big ball of poo?

explain plz

Nah its if it hits at high speeds. The stuff that "falls" from space was already travelling at insane speeds out on space before entering our atmosphere. We're talking tens of thousands of MPH; asteroids move at an average speed of 25kms

Small objects would cause severe damage if fired at relativistic speeds, though, and that's pretty terrifying because a relativistic weapon is basically impossible to defend against.

>I don't have the stats but I'm pretty sure shit as tiny as a car would cause huge damage on a global scale if it fell from space. Luckily most of the shit that falls to earth burns up.
If it just "fell", then definitely no. The impactors that cause extinction events are kilometers across. At relativistic speeds, yes, but pretty much nothing natural reaches those speeds at the macroscopic level.

>still using liquid fuel

What a fucking joke.

>SLS
>not a meme project

Musk is our only hope

There's a US military portal to mars in the DUMB in Dulce, NM

We've been doing archaeological digging there for the past 20 years

"Solar UFO: The ejection of a micro black hole based sunspot"
>plebs actually believe this
>being this scientifically illiterate

I remember being a kid back in the mid 90's and seeing on the cover of some science magazine a dude in a high tech looking space suit with the text "READY FOR MARS"

it's literally never going to happen.

'ere we go.

Oh, well, go on. How about the ayys, give us some juicy stuff on exopolitics.

proof plz

This material resource has to be pretty damn valuable to spark another space race. I can't imagine what it could be, we already have everything we need here on earth.

Follow the gold.

They were. They determined that Orion couldn't handle the higher acceleration that the advanced boosters would create.

They're using the Shuttle-derived solid boosters for the next 10+ years at least. They have 5 segments for SLS instead of the 4 they had for the Shuttle though.

There wouldn't be a space race as the only countries interested and capable of getting stuff there are NASA and JAXA, both of whom would cooperate with each other every step of the way. Even then it'd take a few decades just to get important/detailed hydrology and geology data, which is required for human settlements.

It's not a meme given that NASA is busy building a factory just to build them. Meanwhile the ESA can't afford to build their own spacecraft so they are waiting on NASA to finish Orion which they will license.

Well, rare earth materials are running short, in proportion with the exploding population and modernization of some shitpoor countries.

These materials are fairly abundant in the asteroid belt.

Ah. The Annunaki stuff.

Spice. We shall make it flow.

>This material resource has to be pretty damn valuable to spark another space race. I can't imagine what it could be, we already have everything we need here on earth.
We don't have any nigger kryptonite.

Dunno the name.

All I can tell you is that the gold, Dulce, and Antarctica all have a connection.

SLS is the cheapest rocket NASA has ever developed, and is only at most 1/6th of their budget.

We have. It's called lead.

>Higher acceleration
ya cant just like...throttle em down a bit?

We'd have moon landings right now (as in, 2016) if it wasn't for 9/11 and the wars that resulted from it. NASA was going to get going on Constellation (SLS, Orion, Altair, etc) in 2005. Then we had the double whammy of the Surge in 2007 followed by the Mortgage Meltdown (resulting in the TARP) in 2008. In effect NASA wasn't even able to start their plans and was over a decade behind. In 2009, Obama scrapped Constellation just so that NASA could focus on building their own rocket and crew capsule (SLS and Orion), after which a moon lander (Altair) can be developed.

Point is: bad decisionmaking in the early twenty-first century screwed over NASA. Space exploration just wasn't a priority when the Shuttle was still flying. Then the STS was retired and we got caught without a space vehicle.

At the present rate, moon landings 2.0 will probably happen in the mid or late 2020s with a Mars shot in the 2030s or 40s.

Well, of course. They mostly recycled shit.

>trips of truth

gonna take a look out of curiosity

Yea asteroids would be much more efficient for gathering rare elements than surface mining a planet. Basically what NASA is planning to do with their asteroid re-direct but on a larger scale. Send out unmanned probes to grapple asteroids and push them into a lunar orbit, then have crewed missions to lunar orbit to mine them.

The only thing that would make mining worth the cost on Mars would be if we actually found some new element there, which is highly unlikely.

Tranfer what value? There's nothing there. No oil, no biological material, all the minerals are scattered and hard to collect because of the lack of flowing water. A square kilometer of Mars is appraised at $10 in terms of value. On the other hand, there's 100's of trillions of dollars floating around in the astroid belt, but no-one is planning to mine there.

SpaceX can probably get a man on Mars by 2030 if they keep their pace up.

>It's being built incredibly slowly at huge cost with all the bits and pieces spread out all over the USA.

Yes, just like all aircraft are.

It's not being done "slowly" either, it's that the process only started in 2014. NASA originally planned to start SLS production in 2005 with first launch in 2010 but world events (operation enduring freedom) got in the way and their funding was cut to pay for a military campaign.

NASA does not want to be in this position, yet they are due to circumstances out of their control. They wanted to have everything ready to go for the STS retirement but this was not the case.

That's just magnetic reconnection.

Will Mexico rise up as a superpower?

Not before NASA. For all it's faults, they're the people who figure out best practices and procedures for spaceflight. SpaceX won't do anything they haven't done already as it's much cheaper to copy and improve on a thing than it is to do something totally new.

Thing is, how much we know right now about Mars composition and probable mineral veins?

I don't think the rovers drilled deep enough to gather sufficient data.

Also, can't remember if there was an impact test

>Well, of course. They mostly recycled shit.
Not really. Only the main engines were fully developed, and even those have to have a new iteration developed after 3 flights.

The only other parts that were recycled from Constellation were Orion and the boosters, and Orion essentially doesn't count because it is still not fucking ready after a quarter century of development.

I don't see NASA landing rockets.

Nope. The guy who gets everything going with Mars is going to establish himself like a government on the planet.
He will make the Mars coin, called Crimson Shekels. These will be the sole accepted currency for the exchange of goods on Mars and from Mars. If people want to buy Mars goods, they buy Mars coins. The price of Mars coins is set by the Martian King, and the price of Mars goods is set by the Martian merchants, and the price of the Mars services is set by the Martian workers.

It will be a Martian petrodollar. It will be crowdfunded by nerds who would love to see Mars be colonized, and it would be sustained by the exchange of the currency with those who want to buy the Martian goods and by those in the economy.
The initial crowdfunding could be accomplished by the selling of Martian treasury bonds - which could be exchanged for Martian coins or Martian property. After the project gets started, the treasury bonds could still be sold by those who wish to have a more stable investment in the Mars project by investing in the Martian government.

There would be no monopoly. He who controls the Martian currency would have Mars and trade with Mars under his control without owning the means of production and trade.

We expect NASA to employ SpaceX when they go to the moon. Currently there's nothing to be gained commercially from going to the moon (or at least I can't think of anything) so SpaceX can't get an independent buyer like they do with their satellite launches. Same with that other fag and his inflatable spaceships.

Anyway, they don't even have a super-heavy rocket, which you need to get to the moon (as far as I know), so it's gonna take a while.

keyword: it's much cheaper to copy and IMPROVE on a thing than it is to do something totally new

Reusable boosters are certainly very nice, but ultimately it's an improvement on an existing technology. NASA and it's contractors have been launching things into space for the past 50+ years, it's why we have GPS. SpaceX came in, improved what was otherwise an afterthought (booster landing), and now have their own product. This is all well and good but it doesn't make them NASA.

Again it has to do with "best practices". NASA had it all figured out before the millennium. That's where the real money sink is, and why they exist.

Neither NASA nor SpaceX is going to the Moon, unless Europe decides that they want to buy shuttle rides on SLS/Orion

I think it's time for NASA to experiment a little further.

I want to see some fucking tests with an improved memedrive and cripplephysicist's laser propulsion.

SLS will be moon capable, it's a big rocket. SpaceX and Bidgelow will probably end up building their own ISS clone once the actual ISS is deorbited in 2024ish.

This pic always makes me feel so /comfy/ and I don't know why.

Might need to get it in full size, print it out, and hang it on the wall

Bigelow will probably buy the ISS after 2028 and use it until 2032, then de-orbit it like Mir (incidentally, this is literally exactly what happened to Mir just before its service life ended)

top kek lost it at the chikens

Nobody's buying the ISS, it's core components are hitting the end of their service life and are going to be deoribted. The ISS itself was supposed to be retired later this year, but NASA doesn't have a replacement lined up or a means of getting it into orbit.

spaceflightinsider.com/missions/iss/nasa-considers-handing-iss-private-company/

It will take two years to end the testing with the first Bigelow module up at the ISS.

If everything goes right with the other tests, they will be firing up B330 modules like there's no tomorrow to make their own private station even before that.

Bigelow is currently trying to woo NASA into making plans for a Ba-330 on the ISS.

Once the ISS is de-orbited that module would likely serve as the anchor for a new station.

sounds good

"considers"

Most likely, in eight years when the ISS is retried NASA will deorbit it as it will be about 26 years old then.

The only resource valuable enough to get us there that fast to acquire it would be something like alien technology/crashed ship...something along those lines.

It wouldn't be India because poo...which would leave me to bet on 'murica, possibly allied with some euro's.
Beating China would be key, but I'm guessing their spacecraft would be shit, and fall apart halfway or on takeoff.

It wouldn't. We already have critical resource shortages like helium that could easily be solved by going back to the moon. Asteroids could crash every rare earth metals market. Mars is quite possibly rich in oil.

Space development is dead because the Jews controlling the mining industry profit from scarcity. It's the same way we'll never upgrade to nuclear power because of the fossil fuel industry.

what is terminal velocity

>amerifat education

You still wont be able to transfer actual resources that way you retard.

Why would India even be in the standings?

/thread

The earth itself moves around the sun at 30km/s. All an asteroid has to do is be still relative to the sun, and in the path of our orbit.