Do you like this bizarre new direction animation has been going these past few years or do you prefer when things are...

Do you like this bizarre new direction animation has been going these past few years or do you prefer when things are simple and have a funny cartoon just be a funny cartoon?

youtube.com/watch?v=fXzmUfoKCqQ

Why can't I have both? I like how dramatic things like Bojack get but I also like tried and true good-feeling stuff like Wander Over Yonder.

/thread

>explaining shit to anyone
>ever

>new

>responding to shill shit

>shilling on a dead board
nobody actually does this right

I wouldn't really call something like Bojack Horseman bizarre, at least not more bizarre than a lot of older shows. It's a story about a washed up actor in a world where half the population are anthropomorphic animals. Just like The Flintstones was a normal sitcom that just happened to be set in the stone age.

I'll say the same about stuff like My Little Pony, Steven Universe or Gravity Falls, I wouldn't call it more bizarre than what we had when I was a kid, 20 years ago.

Bizarre is what I'd call stuff like Adventure Time or maybe Regular Show but then... is it more bizarre than Ren and Stimpy or Rockos Modern Life? Hardly, animation was always a vehicle for kinda wacky, out there stuff.

Basically, I don't think animation now is different than it used to be and the Nostalgia Critic is seeing a pattern where there is none.

Would you ask the same question about normal movies? I don't think so. You know that you get different genres and you do so 10years ago.

The question assumes alot of things that aren't even true.

Almost nothing about Bojack Horseman is "bizarre".
Douge should watch more cartoons before saying stupid shit like this.

>nostalgia critic video
>its relatively insightful

what the fuck happened

what Sup Forums doesn't know is that there are plenty of cartoons that are """""just""""" cartoons but aside gems like WoY is that they are all very mediocre like stuff like Penn Zero. They're out there but they're not good. That has nothing to do with them aiming to be non-serious entertainment, the creators just aren't as good.

What if I just want to watch a show that doesn't analyze elements or insert harsh drama?

I don't think those kinds of shows are going to disappear

Apparently his lil inbetween segments where he talks about why things work in a narrative other then reviews has gotten good acclaim.

They're alright. With his actual reviews taking a backseat to ill-conceived sketch comedy his short opinion pieces inbetween are sometimes interesting.

A bit shallow but... interesting. I actually enjoy listening to him just talk about things. I always enjoyed his actual opinions on movies more than his comedy. He's not the smartest at analyzing things but he was always good at giving the viewpoint of the average joe.

fpbp

>Watching Dog Walker
>Ever

or alternatively

>Doug Walker
>Good content or insightful opinions
>Ever

Just fucking stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

I'd post that one screencap of the time Doug made an autism joke and got like a thousand replies saying "I'm autistic, and I'm offended", showcasing EXACTLY the kind of person that watches his content, but I'm on my work computer.

Damn, I needed a good laugh. Make sure you get on that uploading when you're not at work like a normal functional member of society please and thanks

I'll only stop loving cartoons when they stop making me wanna fap

>watching Doug Walker after a failed kickstarter, marrying a hambeast, and amassing a large autistic fanbase.

Doug is a chill guy but his opinions and videos are meh.

Good post. The rest of the thread is a waste of time.

A-are you sure?

Is it weird that he left out rick and morty?

I know, right? Rob has been shown wearing a Rick and Morty T-Shirt, so he must know of the show.

That one definitely fits into the bizarre category, but what about it has deeper meaning?

Closest I could think of is that speech that Morty gave to Summer in the first alternate cable episode.

>Any ounce of substance is "insightful"
Gag me.

who the hell is rob?

>but what about it has deeper meaning?
sounds to me like you don't watch the show.

I would, but you would enjoy it too much.

Isn't this just rehashing his "Are kid's shows better than ever" video?

I miss good action adventure shows all these vulgar comedies can fuck off.

>watching Doug Walker after amassing a large autistic fanbase.
Doug has had that since his days of making Cloverfield freak-out videos.

what? requesting this if anyone has it. I could use a laugh.

Dougs brother.

People who hate his modern reviews should just watch his Real Thoughts videos because that's exactly what they are looking for. Which should be obvious.

It's like going to Red Letter Media for anything other than Best of the Worst/ReView.

Half in the Bag are great reviews.

>People who hate his modern reviews should just watch his Real Thoughts videos because that's exactly what they are looking for.

How so? Nostalgia Critic of old was never good because of two morons pretending to be serious film critics with no sense of modesty at all who aren't qualified to be "serious", it was good because it was a cringey but still sometimes funny character that he played, nobody cares about his actual thoughts on movies we just want him to try his best at making jokes and show clips of movies

He is best at reactions pretty much, he was best at showing really stupid scenes from movies most of us forgot and then talking about how stupid they were

Basically
>It's ok to be preachy as lojg as you are sneaky about it
Fuck you doug

So then you still like his videos. People there for the "review" and not the "skits" should just be directed at Real Thoughts

They're fine, but it's better when they arent constrained to talk about whatever is going on now

Honestly, while I'll watch a cartoon that's said to be "innovative" or something like that every now and then, I'll ayways choose the cartoons that are simple and fun (like Uncle Grampa). Besides, whenever I do see a cartoon that's a "feeling trip", I feel almost nothing (like, you can show me the saddest scenes you can think of and I'll have no reation other than blank staring and thinking to myself "that's a bummer").

He apologized for it, just FYI.

I've seen a few, but they still have that annoying brother guy who likes to interrupt whatever they're talking about with bad jokes.

You're fucking retarded. That's what happened.

>So then you still like his videos. People there for the "review" and not the "skits" should just be directed at Real Thoughts

No, you misunderstand it completely

Nostalgia Critic =/= Doug Walker, NC is a character...it's comedy, not always great comedy, but an attempt...I have absolutely no interest in Doug's real thoughts, I want him to try and be funny

The problem with the skits is that they usually are just wankery that has nothing to do with the movie, people like the old formula....movie clips, reaction, more movie clips, reaction....even in the old days people hated when he tried to include too much production even in the form of a fucking shitty Casper impression and animation from MS paint.

What Doug said was really true. The reason why I love Code Lyoko is because one of the characters was relatable to me. He was troubled because he was trying to do the right thing by stopping XANA. For me, I was bullied by a former career of Cumbria County Council who never took care of me. Not to mention that I was socially awkward at the time. I literally gave a damn about his relationships. I remember the part where his friend died and he was sobbing. It was to me to what Jurassic Bark is to Sup Forums. Nowadays I find kids tv in Britain shit thanks to the fear of reality being shown. The reason why I hate the Thunderbirds reboot because it doesn't do themes that Islam, Christianity and the British public consider taboo such as sexuality, racism, xenophobia and being critical about self-determinism in Gibraltar. I think a episode of one of the themes mentioned would be make me get behind of the light hearted stuff.

KaptainKristian has made guys like Doug really obsolete. Why the hell do I want to watch a guy say some really vague opinion that is most likely going to be nothing but "I KNOW ___ is ___, but MAAAAAYBE it's really ____ all along!"

I'd rather see somebody actually convey an idea or show the importance of their subject matter with a well educated speaker who has done more than their share of work to reach such a point

doug is so fucking weird. he praises old-ass cartoons but for all the wrong reasons. he's the direct audience in mind when they create shit like 'the wacky world of tex avery'. goddamn mindless cartoons

nothing has any excuse to ever be mindless. even comedy requires thought

Rob does talk too much.

Oh, well then that's different. I admit I got on the train kind of late, so when he started with the skits it never really bothered me

Ralph Bakshi's Wizards proves your reasoning wrong.

I agree that bizarre is the wrong choice of word to use in this situation. Surreal would be more appropriate.

does he mention any other cartoon besides AT and SU in the video?

>New direction.

This has been going on for decades.

Fuck are you talking about? There's a very direct thought and effort put into Wizards. For fuck's sake, it literally beats you over the head with Nazi propaganda for over half the movie

But it's becoming more prominent over the last few years.

Can someone who grey up before mid-90s explain shows like Rocko's Modern Life, Ah Real Monsters and Catdog? I saw some of it growing up and shit always struck me as weird and gross, not entertaining or funny in the slightest

What's the song in the background of the video

Rocko is whacky, but not 100% whacky. It's basically a Slice of Life Show about Rocko and his friends and neighbors, and the episodes can range from them going to a shitty Carnival to getting Snowed-In at a Ski Lodge to legit dealing with being told you're adopted. It's a lot of fun, one of my favorites.

Nope. Ralph Bakshi just put that in there as a whimsical decision because he felt like it. That was his work method back then. He just wanted to make a kids movie with some evil stuff in it and he just happened to pick Nazi propaganda at random for his $25,000 budget movie.

Talking about ChannelAwesome HMMMM?

Where are you getting any of your information from?

source: your ass

user, a-are you a badass?

Tfw no western eva equivalent for cartoons

Clarence.

That's not what I mean.

The entire point of eva is that it's taking a genre primarily aimed at children, taking out a lot of the goofier elements in favor of more macabre and nihilistic sensibilities, and telling a very adult story with it.

The comic book equivalent of that would be watchmen, but with cartoons there's nothing that really goes ALL THE WAY with it in the same way either eva or watchmen do.

Also both drastically changed the perception of their respective mediums considerably instead of being one hit wonders. A lot of these modern cartoons feel like a flash in the pan that people approve of, but won't necessarily shake the industry's world.

Eva's "genre" was super robot cartoons.

Anime is a broad medium, like film, and western cartoons.

For a cartoon to do anything like that, it would need to have a specific genre in mind, but because there aren't as many cartoons made as comic books or anime, and styles and sensibilities change every 10 years or so, by the time anyone would think to make a deconstruction of those styles, they'd already be too late as a new style would have taken it's place.

Yeah, he even goes back as far as The Wizard of Oz, The Twilight Zone, and Lord of the Rings and cites those as older examples. I'd argue it's even older than that and count Gulliver's Travels.

The people who made those had to grow up with shit like Hanna Barbera cartoons and half hour toy commercials like 1st generation My Little Pony dominating the cartoon market and wanted to rebel against their blandness.