Great adaptation or best possible adaptation?

Great adaptation or best possible adaptation?

hint: the answer is not Zack the hack memes

The ending is garbage. The whole point of creating a faux alien invasion was to give the United States and the Soviet Union an external threat to unite against. By framing Dr. Manhattan, sure, you can motivate him to fuck off to some other part of the universe but it doesn't do anything to refocus the belligerents on anything other than one another.

Zack "fuck my franchise up the crack" Snyder

>nukes NYC

>hurr it's still allied with America

I think it could have been better. Watchmen had been made with the art form of comics in mind, paneling being a huge part of it. What could have made it better is if they tried to use techniques inherent to film to a better extent, which Zach kinda did a little with the slomo stuff.

Zack here
Thanks man

I love you.

The United States created a weapon that backfired on it while simultaneously attacking the Soviet Union; quick, let's everyone come together and hold hands rather than hold the US responsible for nearly bringing about the end of the world.

>The United States created a weapon
No?

>someone acts up again
>fake another Manhattan attack

>someone acts up again
>fake a fucking alien invasion again

THIS ENDING MAKES NO SENSE

Yeah, this is one of the core problems. The new ending doesn't work because the world isn't going to just forget that what appears to be the new global threat of Manhattan is America's mad dog that got off the leash.

They may work together out of necessity to survive, but the rest of the world will always resent and despise the US for Manhattan. It's not the "everyone comes together to fend off an outside threat" scenario Moore wrote that works better.

The bigger problem is classic Zack the Hack (fuck you, OP) bullshit: he makes the exact same mistakes that lesser writers trying to ape Moore in the late 80s did, by focusing on the surface violence and action. Even Dan is made into an ass-kicking hero instead of the deeply insecure middle-aged man he should be, and Rorschach is the Awesome Bad-Ass Truth Teller.

Zack is a Hack, OP, and saying "meme" over and over doesn't change that.

Yes.

Manhattan was created as a result of an accident during US military experiments. The US then used him to bully and intimidate the rest of the world, including to win in Vietnam.

Did you even read the book or watch the movie?

>>someone acts up again
>>fake a fucking alien invasion again
>THIS ENDING MAKES NO SENSE

That was actually the point of the original ending. It's why Manhattan tells Ozy that nothing ever ends. Manhattan sees the big picture and knows that Ozy's plans are doomed to fail, you can never fix everything forever.

I wanted to say "most lazily obvious sountrack in a cape movie" but this was before Suicide Squad came out.

>he makes the exact same mistakes that lesser writers trying to ape Moore in the late 80s did, by focusing on the surface violence and action
That isn't hackish.
Its just whats had to be done in any adaption of the material to sell it to mass audiences.
>and Rorschach is the Awesome Bad-Ass Truth Teller.
Which is what he was in the comics.

>Which is what he was in the comics.
You must be over 18 to post on this board.

Well the added kicking of ass was more due to them making a 3 hour movie and if ya don't have something visual going on somewhere you're really not making that great of a movie.

This added action thus they're made out to be more badass than their comic counterparts.

I don't hate the Watchmen movie, but it is entirely pointless.
Watchmen is a meaningful book in the context of the comic scene it was born in, and the effects that it had on the medium, at least the american/cape side of it.
As a movie, all that is lost.

>to sell it to mass audiences
the very definition of a hack
go the fuck away

It was a great movie.

Preventing genocidal maniacs from committing nuclear war isn't bullying.
Stopping North Vietnam from continuing their invasion & intended enslavement of the south is not fucking bullying.

the only decent parts of that movie are the ones where the source material was too good for snyder to fuck up

Actually not the very definition of a hack.

He was even more obsessive in the comics, that doesn't make his cause unjust.

your movies suck, get over it

What does the movie do with its ending?
I never saw it.

But you seem to be a crossposter too???????????????????

>I don't know what words mean
come back in a few years bud

>muh Hollywood productions slurp slurp

>muh big two slurp slurp

Your point?

Instead of creating a fake giant space squid that teleports into downtown NYC, Adrian's master plan is to make it look like Dr. Manhattan went crazy and started nuking major population centers for no raisin.

Which, for reasons described above, would only further enflame Cold War tensions because he's an American superweapon, not an uninvolved third party.

Not to mention the attack is carried out in several countries, which defeats the point of America gaining the sympathy of the outside world.

He had already been shown to be deteched from the human condition on public television.

He left earth.

You're retarded.

detached*
fug

Do you think the fucking Soviets care what mood Manhattan was in before supposedly nuking everyone?

>what mood Manhattan was in
If you're doing to keep twisting the events of the movie to fit your narrative, you can suck my taint.

This. Viedt's plan would have triggered World War III, not prevented it; especially once Manhattan is gone and there's no fear of reprisal.

Frankly, the balloons should have gone up the moment the attacks began.

>big_blue_dong.jpg

Of course they cared.
It was the cold war.
They prolly fucking cared what diet the soldiers in the US psychic testing were on.

I bet you meem about le jar of piss.
I bet you're not white.

>Zack the hack memes

Just because you call it a meme don't mean it ain't true, junior.

If you talk down to the audience, you get the audience you deserve.

>Which is what he was in the comics.

>wahhh BvS made no sense
>wahhh Watchmen was too dumbed down

really makes you think

I remember being somewhat disappointed after I saw it the first time, having read the graphic novel. However, recently, I saw it on Netflix the other day and actually enjoyed it, and made me want to dig through my garage for the graphic novel to read again. Compared to X-Men: Apocalypse, the Watchmen movie is especially good. I do think they hit on all the points, as I remember.

I think Watchmen would do better as a Netflix series, though.

That's the new trend on Sup Forums:

>someone says something I don't like
>meme meme meme

When did Sup Forums start sucking Snyder's cock?
You people might as well be praising Michael Bay.

Moore failed. Rorshach comes off too likable. Neurotic, but more sympathetic than you guys cliam he was going for.

Yes, it makes me think Snyder is a talentless hack.

Tell me what simply posting "zack the hack" and closing the tab ads to the discussion.

Micheal Bay is a talented guy. He just knows where the money is.

BvS doesn't make sense because the plot is shit, not because its too complex.

>the plot is shit
Source?

>Source?
The movie.

Moore failed because he overestimated the audience. He made Rorschach disgusting in every way from the physical to the psychological. He thought people would see this.

The problem is that Rorschach is the protagonist. Not in the modern "the good guy" sense, but in the classical sense of the lead character who drives the story. He's the one who pursues the mystery and drives the narrative, so the audience is naturally going to identify with him.'

Even making him a terrible person, you can't erase that identification.

That's the part where Sup Forums shitposters go on about muh symbolism/modern myths and call you a pleb.

I bet if Dan had been the one doing the investigation mouthbreathers would complain that the story wasn't primarly about Rorschach.

BvS made no sense because of its shitty editing and pacing, not because it has any level of complexity. It'll be like if you took Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and mixed the chapters around, and combined the ending to The Voyages of the Dawn Treader with the normal ending. You're not complex, you just made the plot a confusing mess.

nope

I agree, point being Snyder's Rorschach is pretty much the same as Moore's.
The actor pitched it exactly like the comic.

Rorschach doesn't come across as likeable, but he doesn't come across as wrong. Moore's complaint is that too many people identify with Rorschach because even though he's written to be a racist, sexist, homophobic bigot, he is objectively correct. He's the kind of person Moore hates and he hates that people like him.

It's the same phenomenon as Make America Great Again Red Skull, the words may be coming out of a supervillain's mouth but that doesn't make them wrong. A lot of people think that way and it's a common trap that left-wing writers fall into because they hold the right-wing in such contempt.

And Jesus fucking Christ, is Moore a lefty.

Oh god, I just had the most terrifying thought.
What if Snyder directed an adaptation of a Miller comic?

>shitty editing and pacing
I'd tell you to watch the ultimate cut, which fixes your complaint, but now you're going to backtrack and call it shit for other reasons.

It didn't, it's just Sup Forums leaking:

>Oh god, I just had the most terrifying thought.
>What if Snyder directed an adaptation of a Miller comic?

GOD I hope you're just pretending to be
retarded.
Because he already did and it was kino.

see

>Neurotic
He's a sociopath.

My bad.
I meant Millar.

>

I honestly just don't feel like wasting another three hours of my life at this point. BvS was a chore to sit through the first time, I don't want do it, again, just to prove a point to some anonymous asshole on the internet.

>>The ending is garbage. The whole point of creating a faux alien invasion was to give the United States and the Soviet Union an external threat to unite against. By framing Dr. Manhattan, sure, you can motivate him to fuck off to some other part of the universe but it doesn't do anything to refocus the belligerents on anything other than one another.
They were going to blame Manhattan. That was the whole point. Rather than aliums, US/Russia would play nice for fear of Manhattan coming back and slapping them around again.

you're moms a sosiopath

>I agree, point being Snyder's Rorschach is pretty much the same as Moore's.
The actor pitched it exactly like the comic.

No, because Snyder completely abandoned the idea that Rorschach isn't the awesome hero. He's not supposed to be, but both Snyder and writers afters Moore failed to grasp this and focused on how cool and violent Rorschach was.

Snyder is the grimdark era personified. His absolute lack of depth and ability to only work with surface details, his utter incompetence with characters and dialogue, all of it. It was the same problems you saw in comics in that era.

>the words may be coming out of a supervillain's mouth but that doesn't make them wrong
No, what makes them wrong is that it's copypasted far right rhetoric. Of course to a normal person that's going to sound appropriate coming from a literal nazi.

Poe's law.

>I'd tell you to watch the ultimate cut, which fixes your complaint,

The Ultimate Cut turns incomprehensible garbage into a barely competent, but still bad movie. Even with the most glaring errors fixed, it's just not a good movie, and it's sadly hilarious how eager people are to give credit to Snyder for managing to rearrange his failure into the bare minimum of a film.

America got nuked by Manhattan too. Nobody is going to think the Americans did that to themselves.

The point is to demonstrate the Manhattan doesn't care about national allegiance anymore. He's pissed off at humanity for being dumbdumbs

There won't be reprisal because only a literal idiot would consider nuking a country who just suffered the same attacks that your own did.

(You)

>his utter incompetence with characters and dialogue,

The knot-top/nite owl 2 bar scene alone proves you utterly wrong.
Snyder is way less one deaf than the meme rhetoric says he is.

>Nobody is going to think the Americans did that to themselves.
It doesn't matter whether they did it to themselves.
The point is that they are responsible for the cause.

>he is objectively correct.

Did you even read the comic? Literally the point of Watchmen is that none of them, Rorschach, Ozy, or Dan, is objectively correct. There is no objectively correct. Rorschach's moral absolutism is contrasted against Ozy's utilitarianism and other views represented by other characters, and it's certainly not the case that any of them are "objectively correct".

If you didn't understand event this point you're not capable of discussing Watchmen.

>it's just not a good movie,
This will never, ever be true.

>not habitually overusing the word "objectively"
get hip to Sup Forums m'dawg

That's irrelevant. Everybody already hates the US. That would just be another reason to resent them.

World Peace would still probably happen. Especially if Manhattan turned up and reminded people to stop being cunts every few years.

As has been repeatedly pointed out in this thread, this doesn't work. Manhattan isn't an alien outside threat, he's America's weapon. The USSR and the rest of the planet isn't going to forget that it's the same weapon America used to push them around that now threatens everyone.

Can people stop repeating this same fucking stupidity?

I'm not spending 25 dollars to watch a cut that may or may not fix the movie, or expend 3 hours on the hope that it may be fixed. I watched it, it was fucked.

Correct me if I'm wrong but iirc Rorschach's not even right about the majority of what he talks about, and what he is right about Moore agrees with.

Also you're acting like Moore wrote Rorschach to be a giant straw man. Rorschach has an entire past and a history that molded his brain to think only in Black and White morality, if you can't tell, it's why his mask is black and white shapes, it's all he sees. The greater theme of the story is gray morality. Doing things that are inherently wrong, but bring about good. Every single subplot, every single plot thread, they all interlace into this theme.

Manhatten was America's weapon, every country got fucked because America couldn't contain him, do you think they're just going to forgive America for that?

>Can people stop repeating this same fucking stupidity?

No, because it's a logical explanation.

>Especially if Manhattan didn't fuck off to another galaxy because he's tired of humanity
Now who didn't watch the movie?

This is Snyder's hackery in a nutshell.

He just had to insert Thomas Wayne fighting back, destroying the impact and point of this tragic scene.

>That would just be another reason to resent them.
No it wouldn't, it would be the last straw that causes them to attack.
This is Cold War mindset, everyone's finger on the trigger.
What the movie depicts would result in mutually assured annihilation.
The point of the fake alien in the comic is that it doesn't result in that.

The action was the shittiest part of the movie (ok, one of the shittier parts).

It felt fake and really badly choreographed. If there's anything Snyder's later movies improved on we're how the fight scenes were handled. Compare the Batman warehouse fight in BvS to any Nite Owl and Silk Spectre fight and you'll see how the Watchmen action just fails

>I'm not spending 25 dollars
>what is torrenting
>what is streaming

I want tourists to leave.

>The knot-top/nite owl 2 bar scene alone proves you utterly wrong.

Every single second of Watchmen, and everything Snyder has ever made, proves me utterly right.

>Snyder is way less one deaf than the meme rhetoric says he is.

>I don't have an argument but I don't like hearing the truth, better start saying "meme".

HE MAKES A FIST IN THE COMIC AS WELL REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

YOU WANT TO HATE SNYDER FOR NO REASON AT ALL KILL YOU ARE SELF

>Manhatten was America's weapon
And then Manhattan fucked america in the ass. Nobody is going to hold america responsible in any serious way when theyt were victimized by the attacks the same as anybody else.

>As has been repeatedly pointed out in this thread, this doesn't work.
You guys are a fucking broken record player. All you do is sit there circlejerking in agreement with each other rather than actually examining the arguments you're putting forth.

>implying he can't come back once in awhile if he wants
Literally no reason not to.

I gave an example. You did not.

Don't reply to this post.

>tfw you canacuck
>tfw your limited to 5gb of internet a month
If it were only that simple m8

"Logical" doesn't mean "wrong". I think I've found the source of your confusion.

Pay more attention in school, junior. Learn that words have meaning.

>Nobody is going to hold america responsible in any serious way when theyt were victimized by the attacks the same as anybody else.
COLD
FUCKING
WAR