Ninjas are the antithesis of the honourable Samurai and the bushido code

Ninjas are the antithesis of the honourable Samurai and the bushido code.

Noble samurai fight one on one on fair ground, while ninjas always ambush from behind, poison wells, and cut throats while they sleep.

So why does Splinter, a masterless assassin, act like he's such an honourable good guy?

Rat brains are tiny.

cause anyone who talks shit gets their throat cut in their sleep

To be fair, in the original Mirage comics, Splinter was kind of just a bitter old rat who openly copped to only raising & training the turtles so they could one day murder Saki for him. And I haven't read far enough ahead in Mirage's comics to know if this was ever brought up later or if they played him as the straight mentor originally, but yeah, Splinter-is-an-asshole has some canonical precedent.

Let's not get into the moral implications of Zordon.

Real life samurai were just people in a higher social class who were assholes to everyone and came up with bushido to make themselves look cool.

Also, to answer your question, American writers know nothing about Japan and think everything is "honor" this and "honor" that.

This.

He raised them to get revenge for him, even if they had to "ambush from behind, poison wells or cut throats while they sleep"

He's the perfect father. Prove me wrong.

>What is adaptation decay?

depends on the house in which ninja was formed for, and what generation of ninja is claimed to take from

a 1807 ninja is samurai basically

a 1401 ninja is assassin that suicides afterward in honor of defending, in this period leaders would give one important relative to other leaders in a trade and often undermen will kill these relatives without leaders approval so war can happen

samurai were like knights, if you know a real knight of old eras you knew them as smelly rapists and husband murderers, often more friendly civilian deaths than enemies were killed by knights, same with samurai - the katana is a flesh cutter and most victims were farmers

He fully admits that he raised them to kill, yes. But as the years go by and the turtles spent their life dealing with a vengeful Foot, he eventually realizes that he was wrong to do so and it only resulted in more hate and death. "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".

But at the same time, he never once pretended that they weren't his children and that he didn't love them with all his heart.

>I don't know shit about ninjas the post

That's like an illegal Mexican family getting the wife pregnant and then crossing the border to give birth in the states so the family can't get deported back to Mexico because the child is technically a citizen of USA

Sure they love the kid but ultimately the kid only exists for the parents selfish needs and abusing a loophole

Shut before I make you my wife Boco

Just saying. Tales vol 2 has some really sweet stories involving their family dynamic.

he's a fucking rat

Like issue 09?

A radical rat.

Ugh, yes.

And that one where Mikey draws Splinter in crayin. Forget the number.

Don't forget Boco.

Yeah yeah, I remember...

Are you implying that Master Splinter is not wise?

That'd be My Hero from Tales vol. 2 #25. What the hell, I'll storytime it, it's just a back-up strip.

...or try to, at least, since Sup Forums doesn't seem to recognize the file types or some shit.

thanks for the story user

Well, OP, lest look at things:

Mirage: What said. Original Splinter lived up to the general warrior customs

Fred Wolf and Nick: Before Saki's corruption, the foot clan was basically just a long running organization of martial artists that were seen as a lawful, inactive YMCA

4kids: Hamato Yoshi gave Splinters's influence by knowing the ways of shinobi but as a secret protection service against criminal assassins and spies.

IDW: Yoshi and his family are true ninjas, they just leave the foot because the organization gets too bloated and corrupt.

So, OP, the dirtiness of ninjustu is addressed in TMNT, it's just that the turtles and splinter are put in positions where they're able to still develop a moral highground.

Because Splinter is a Naruto fan

Splinter was a ninja when Naruto was still in his father's balls.

You can be sneaky and honorable

because it was a cartoon.

in the comic book, their mission against shredder was based on revenge

this

it was the 80s. samurai were too 'establishment' to be identifiable. everyone wanted to be the rebel. the one who doesn't take orders from an easily-corruptable daimyo
which is bullshit because even the most basic logic tells you you can't get revenge FOR revenge. That's what saki was doing. and that's why he was evil. His brother got what he deserved for murdering yoshi's love, everything was even steven. an eye for an eye. then he was like 'no fuck you i'll kill you for being fair and just' because he's an asshole
killing him brings things back to even. no tagbacks.

This rat could read, do martial arts, understand Japanese and English, and hide well enough to make it from japan to new york without getting confiscated by customs. I think it's safe to say he was no ordinary rat. Among other things, he had to be older than the stupidly brief lifespan of a rat. i call Japanese-branch-of-NIMH

>and hide well enough to make it from japan to new york without getting confiscated by customs

That was all Yoshi.

Who, being a refugee, probably didn't use a public airline.

This is a guy who sought revenge because his "father" was killed by the brother of a guy his father killed. And he raises his "kids" to fight that guy. The original parties that started the feud died well over a decade ago, it's always been revenge based.

what else is there? What, you think he snuck in mexican-style? That's a long fucking trip.
regardless, a pet rat has to be of abnormally high intelligence to hide his presence. he has to stay quiet, he has to know when to take your signal to hide under your kimono and not make any noise, he has to wash or let you wash his stank-ass urine-soaked rat balls.. he can't just stay in his little birdcage the whole trip.
yeah but you get the difference, right? yoshi was clean. he killed a murderer.

Probably snuck aboard a boat going to New York.

Sneaking onto boats is a popular means of travel in the TMNTverse.

how the shit does a boat go from japan to new york? What, through the panama canal? under the horn of africa? did he flee across eurasia first like a dirty somalian, then boat from england?

Okay, series of boats. He's a ninja. He can go from one to another without being seen.

The turtles took boats to Japan and China all the time in Mirage.

And a few times in Archie.

So, wouldn't Splinter have a very thick Japanese accent? And wouldn't that have affected the Turtles' accents? Like, would the Turtles sound like a weird hybrid of traditionally affected Asian mixed with stereotypical New Yorker accents?

and in the 2003 series. i remember. and for a while i was like 'whoa, that's cool. that makes a lot more sense than that bizarre sewer-travel they did in the old cartoon, somehow getting all over europe'
then it just hit me later, you can't.. boat from new york to asia. even though the image of boatloads of immigrants coming to new york, and the image of boatloads of immigrants being asian, are both so immediate in our minds

as always, we can blame daredevil. marvel wanted ninjas galore, marvel wanted to set everything in new york. nevermind how cool it would have been to set shit in california instead, nooo.

I've been wondering: think he has grapefruit-sized nuts? I've seen some hung rats...

in most versions, splinter does have at least a mild accent
and in most versions, leonardo speaks unusually formally with crisp diction. but clearly they managed to find tv/radio right away, and were able to normalize their accents. Raphael got more of the new york than the others, leo got more of splinter's, and donatello got more of the generic science-guy talk. Really it's interesting how dead-on Don has been in nearly every version, in sounding like a NPR science guy. and of course mike is all over the place

and of course it makes sense that, not having the appropriate books washing up in the sewer, he wasn't able to teach them japanese very well.. so he just went with english

six-foot-tall splinter from the new show, absolutely
the more traditional small-puppet 3-to-4-foot splinter in most other versions, probably more like apples.

Its easy enough to do, I imagine.

Take a boat from New York to somewhere in South America, transfer to another boat thats going to the West Coast (or preferably straight to Japan, if possible), and sneak on one last ship going to Asia. we don't see it happen because, well, thats boring as shit.

What about Zordon?

It IS implied that Daredevil and the tmnt were created in the same incident...

At least the newest toon portrays them more like ninjas than any other non-comic incarnation. They even betray a potential ally seeking a truce, just so they could get a chance to take down Shredder. And the reason they failed wasn't even because it was a bad idea, it was just because they didn't prepare well enough.

Indeed, let's get into that!

Bestowing unknown powers and abilities to a bunch of teenagers utilizing weapons and battle tactics completely unseen on Earth and then expecting them to live up to the responsibility of preventing Earth from falling into the hands of malevolent alien beings without any repercussions whatsoever?

i want tall rat papa to pound me stupid.

Hey, he still had rules.

>His brother got what he deserved for murdering yoshi's love
I think you're a little confused there, senpai. Oroku Nagi didn't murder Tang Shen, he beat her, that's what set Yoshi off and caused him to murder Nagi. Even by the code of the Foot Clan, this was not "even stevens" because bushido is pretty gay and probably doesn't have any allowances for defending the honor of pig-disgusting women-tachi, hence why Yoshi and Tang Shen came to America; the alternative was for Yoshi to commit ceremonial suicide per the Clan's laws. And since he didn't, Oroku Saki hunted him down and then HE murdered Tang Shen as well as Hamato Yoshi.

So Yoshi was technically in the wrong as far as the letter of the law was concerned, but morally justifiable - but this same technicality means Oroku Saki's vendetta was justified, but he goes too far, signifying his villainy by killing a defenseless woman too. But again, that's just the way women are treated by traditional martial arts story tropes, so that's what TMNT #1 was reflecting .

The bad guys are even worse.

>New York gangsters try to kill the turtles
>with guns
>that shoot rockets full of knockout gas?
>then leave the survivors beaten, but still alive because "they look like they're done for"

really geography is a pain in the ass isnt it? horizontal travel in the northern hemisphere takes for goddamn ever across huge swaths of land, whereas the further south you go the easier it is to cut across and then get a boat

I'm just flabbergasted how he didn't just ride the hell out of April when she was brought unconcious to him. Normal dude, abstained for years, coupled with a rodent's sex drive...no way in hell April wouldn't have gotten wrecked outside of a pg13 setting. "You have done well, my sons...now get the hell out of the lair for the night."

right exactly. out-of-universe daredevil is their inspiration, so in-universe they made it literally the same event. they HAD to be in new york
i haven't watched it since raphael, a guy raised in a sewer for 15 years, was scared of cockroaches. like, deathly afraid of them. but are you seriously telling me at some point they start getting portrayed like ninja, and betray someone instead of learning the power of friendship? THIS show?

Looks like it worked out ok.

that's been normal for 99.999% of history, dude. teenagers are who you go with when you need soldiers. they have creativity, alertness, youthful energy, passion, and a sense of righteousness that hasn't been beaten into the ground yet.
he was fighting an alien fucking threat, he gave them appropriate weapons to battle them on an even footing.. any collateral damage to stock-footage-japangel-grove was still better than what would have happened without them. nobody got hurt, nobody got traumatized.

"Hey, Karai thinks Shredder is going too far and wants to help us bring him down. Should we?"
"Nah, lets try to kill him on our own."
-they proceed to not kill Shredder and get their shells handed to them instead
"Great, now Shredder is still alive and Karai hates us. Whoops."

he murdled her in the 4kids version, it's pretty fucked up to tell me that the 4kids version actually ADDED a death. are you sure? shit that is not how i remember it.
Either way, even if you go by what you said, killing shen was another error that left saki in-the-red so to speak

i always wondered what he did to satisfy that. I figured maybe he's just THAT fucking old now. combined with the mutation, he's senescent, sexually. but really that doesn't hold water.
and even in an ideal world, what would he do? find a capybara to fuck?

4kids changed it up for no real reason. In 4kids there was no Nagi. Yoshi fought with a new guy named Yukio Mashimi for Shen's love. As usual, Shen only loved Yoshi. They were both recruited by the Utroms and became Guardians, but while Yoshi kept getting promoted, Yukio didn't. He got so fed up that he killed Shen and ratted out the Utroms to Ch'rell.

Yoshi took Splinter and ran to New York, Ch'rell hunts him down and kills him, Splinter escapes (and scratches Hun) and the usual origin starts from there.

>tfw April and TMNT was one of the many things responsible for your lifelong fetish of disgusting monsters, mutants, furries, whatever violating the living shit out of human women

well yeah everyone takes nagi out because he's redundant and reduces the personable-ness of it. but my point is she fuckin died. in japan. before he fled. i thought that was how it always worked. but nowww that you mention it, i guess I do vaguely remember her originally making it to new york with him.

wait, wait, they moved shen entirely in that backstory? shit i forgot how that went. so yoshi just booked it with splinter to new york only to get killed by hun... for a lot less reason?

They also actually use Japanese in their training, and get really badass when they slip into serious mode.

He left partly because Ch'rell was hunting down Guardians, and partly because he felt bad for killing Yukio in self-defense.

Years later Ch'rell finally tracked him down, demanding to know where the Utroms are. Yoshi wouldn't squeal, so he had Hun rough him up. Splinter's cage was smashed in the fight, Splinter claws Hun's face.

Ch'rell goes "fuck this" and stabs Yoshi to death.

NNF right in the feels.

>he murdled her in the 4kids version, it's pretty fucked up to tell me that the 4kids version actually ADDED a death. are you sure? shit that is not how i remember it.
...wow, you're all fucked up pal. First of all, you mentioned Oroku Saki's brother, who only exists in the Mirage comics continuity I had no reason to think you were discussing the 4kids show, which is hardly canonical to anyone in terms of their origin stories (the closest they came is April, and then she got a wildly different origin retconned to her comics self soon after the show premiered)

I'll cut you some slack since your memory is shit, but the 4kids origin played out completely differently. At first, there wasn't even any Tang Shen in their version of the origin - Yoshi was just a member of the vaguely ninja-esque good guy group, the "Guardians" of the Utrom. He was originally seemingly only killed by Shredder for that reason, which left their beef oddly impersonal, so they later retconned it in season... I wanna say 4 or 5, but they did it in a really roundabout way because Shredder was revealed to be a centuries-old Utrom. So they went even FURTHER back into Yoshi's life, revealing that he DID love a Tang Shen and she was also courted by... an Original Character Donut Steel, because Ch'rell obviously would not bang and would not have any blood relatives worth avenging, so he's just some cucked goober who betrays the Utrom to the Foot and kills Tang Shen, only to then die himself at Yoshi's hands.

Geez... now that I spell it all out like that, I don't blame you so much for your confusion.

>in season... I wanna say 4 or 5

4. It was the 100th episode.

I don't wanna feel

huh. i guess i don't like that version of the story much then
and i really hate that fucking spherical naked beardy guy.

The Ancient One?

Eh, guess it depends on your tolerance for fart jokes.

No they didn't.
They were assholes and just before WWIIish the Japanese government invented the code of bushido while pretending it was some ancient tradition as an excuse for emphasizing loyalty at all costs to your superiors.

i bet he's a real beast in bed

I'm sorry, but this is badass. Are these characters from a comic?

Hellblazer #292

They're all talented athletes and martial artists of varying skill levels, they're not compeltely unprepared for the responsibility. Some sentai shows have them learning how to utilize their powers and weapons innately, it's an instinctive thing that comes along with the powers.

I imagine April has all sorts of daddy issue and then Adding Splinter to the mix probably has done some work on her high school girl brain/feelings

well let's see, in the comics she's a drawing so at the very least she knew she was adopted (wait did she know?), and in the good series she was... was she raised by her uncle? her parents definitely weren't around. and then her uncle just up and disappeared off to another dimension. so either way she'd be like... sensitive to their whole.. loss and.. secret... whatever

>wait did she know?

No. As far as she and her sister knew, they were both normal humans born in a normal way.

sister? shit i really am out of touch with this story for someone who claims to like and prefer it so much

It was actually meiji era japan that invented modern day bushido based on copying ideas of chivalry from the west due to penis envy. Of course there were earlier conceptions of bushido from the bakufu era, but then that was a time of peace and more an attempt by samurai to reassert themselves in an era when they were reduced to bureaucrats or to poverty in the face of the growing power of the merchant classes.

Not knowing Robyn, her older sister. user please...

oh yeah, that's coming to mind

>honor among thieves, just because they will kill other people from behind it doesn't mean they can't be respectful and honorable to each other

>kid's cartoon don't give a fuck about accurate representation of ninjas, specially when they can't do it because of censorship

Pick your favorite

Her name's Robin. She's a vapid airhead living in LA. She does precisely jack shit until Volume 4, where the turtles cure her alien cancer in a parody of Fantastic Voyage.

>LA
huh

She's a little slutty. I like her.

>that eye-nose gap
did they go back in time and hire the artists from train your dragon?

There's even an episode very early on where they get their asses kicked by two of Shredder's goons. Splinter's advice basically boils down to "You're ninjas. Stop engaging your opponents in fair fights and start attacking when they're not ready".

Its Jim Lawson. Ya either love it or hate it. No in between.

I like the eyes..

And here she is in 4kids, where she was even more useless.

Not a history buff but I'm going to guess that largely self-justifying honour codes for aristocrats have existed in pretty much all societies historically

Drawing women is not really what Jim Lawson does best. Michael Dooney however...

leo in the back being extra.

I think it's Mikey goofing around.