The first break!

The first break!

newsarama.com/31000-idw-leaves-diamond-for-random-house-in-bookstore-market.html

For those who don't know, this is huge news, as Diamond really fucks up publishing for all comics.

Is this just the first crack of many? Who will follow suit?

Aftershock and Dynamite :^)

Fantagraphics and D&Q if they already haven't left Diamond. I know Fanta's had problems with Diamond since before they got a monopoly on floppy distribution.

Does this mean we'll finally get cheaper prices on digital comics.

Will comic book stores become a thing of the past?

Is it really a "break"?

I thought Diamond only handled comic shop distribution; I didn't think they had a hand in bookstore stuff at all.

Because all they're saying is, "We, IDW, are still going to ship to comic stores via Diamond, but we're also going to have a bigger bookstore presence via Random House instead of Diamond." And, IMO, that...doesn't really change anything.

Wow that's super fucking cool. I didn't think anyone would leave Diamond until the industry crashed again. Maybe I can start finding new comics in stores that aren't entirely manned by smelly neckbeards and located 3 counties away from my home.

I bet Image goes next.

>And, IMO, that...doesn't really change anything.
Archie comics have sold (and thrived) for 75 years because they're available in supermarkets.

Just having comics available in more places means comics will be selling more.

You are not replying to anything he said.

>exclusively
Neato
Curious to see how it works out for them

He said it isn't changing anything.

It's directly increasing their availability in the market.

Can...you not read?

>Maybe I can start finding new comics in stores that aren't entirely manned by smelly neckbeards and located 3 counties away from my home.
This guy will be able to get comics much more reasonably.

Women won't be harassed by neckbeards when they want to pick up a comic.

>Women won't be harassed by neckbeards when they want to pick up a comic.

They're harassed now?

You people have no idea how this works. DC hasn't used Diamond for the bookstore market in decades, and Marvel stopped using Diamond to distribute to non-comic shop bookstores six years ago.

They all still use Diamond to distribute to monthly comics (and possibly TPBs and HCs) to comic shops and also use a completely different distributor for monthly comics to newsstands and another different distributor for TPBs/HCs to bookstores.

IDW using a different distributor for bookstores isn't as big of news as you think it is. Especially since they were still at bookstores even before this announcement in the first place.

>all of the illiterate people in this thread
I blame OP for being the first to completely misread. Dark Horse already did this.

This isn't much of a break. Diamond Books and Diamond Comics serve different markets, and Diamond Books has always been a bit player. This isn't bad news for Diamond so much as it is good news for IDW.

You guys need to stop reflexively making Diamond out to be the bad guys every time. The truth is that Diamond is willing to work with smaller publishers that other bookstore distributors scoff at. Few bookstores wanted comics or had a graphic novels section before the manga boom.

none because idw is about to blow itself up

unless they get cheaper no it won't

>Archie comics have sold (and thrived) for 75 years because they're available in supermarkets.

>Just having comics available in more places means comics will be selling more.

>It's directly increasing their availability in the market.

This is how I can tell neither of you paid any attention to what graphic novels or TPBs are stocked in a bookstore. Shit, I'm not even sure either of you even set foot in a bookstore. IDW's had TPBs in Barnes and Noble for like at least the last six years. That's why this news isn't as major as you think it is.

FUCK YES! I hope this is a snowball effect!

There isn't. Diamond is still distributing IDW stuff to comic shops. Seriously, read the thread before you fall for OP's illiteracy problems. Even in OP's article it has this:

>Diamond Comics Distributors will continue to sell and distribute graphic novels and comics exclusively to the comic book specialty market. Diamond will also continue to handle distribution of graphic novels, books, and other merchandise to the mass market in the UK.

secondly, neckbeards everywhere.

Just a reminder that Diamond is notorious for revenge practices against any publisher that Circumvents them.

When Dave Sim decided to stop distributing Cerebus via Diamond, they took revenge on him by randomly declining to distribute one of his other Aardvark One International titles, The Puma Blues, which was by Steve Murphy and Michael Zuli (basically, Diamond decided to make those two suffer for Sim's actions).

So let's all look forward to repeated "delays" and "lost shipments" of IDW monthly issues from now on. Hooray!

They're still distributing through Diamond.

>Diamond fucks up problems for all comics.

They're the exclusive distributor for a lot of publishers, yeah. To the direct market only. Publishers can sell their shit anywhere else if they want. They don't want to.

Unfortunately Archie's sales have plummeted. The digests sell maybe 40,000 copies each now. They have to print 2-3x that number and deal with returns as well. They are just reprints, so fairly cheap but still, they're not selling like gangbusters.

I like comic book shops. The two in my town closed in the last year. The third was Hastings.

It doesn't really mean much. DC publishes the Superhero Girls stuff through Random House as well

Fantagraphics and D&Q haven't used Diamond for bookstore distribution in a long time, if ever. Fantagraphics has been using Norton and D&Q has been using Macmillan. They still use Diamond for direct market.

As one user already mentioned, this isn't really major news in the larger world of bookstore distribution.

Diamond may be lording it over the comics direct market, but they're a minor player in the bookstore market. It's a case of "big fish, little pond" when we talk about Diamond being a virtual monopoly in comics.

Random House has been distributing Dark Horse titles in bookstores since 2012, IIRC, while Marvel has a bookstore distribution deal with Hachette. Most of the biggest selling graphic novels in the North American bookstore market are distributed (and published) by Scholastic, Penguin/Random House, and MacMillan.

Everyone puts trades in bookstores, though. I want to see monthly issues in bookstores and supermarkets and wherever the fuck else.

EYE DEE DUB! EYE DEE DUB! EYE DEE DUB! EYE DEE DUB!

>I want to see monthly issues in bookstores

Barnes and Nobles has them. Books a Million might too. Have you even gone to a bookstore?

They already are in some bookstores but they aren't going to be in supermarkets because returnability

Borders sold floppies and look what happened to them

Borders' problems had more to do with poor decisions with online selling, though.

And this will affect none of that

No, not everyone puts trades in bookstores.

Book distributors don't just distribute the books, they warehouse them. The publisher pays the distributor for that. They also don't pay for the books until months after they're sold at retail. That means the publisher can be paying for storage for months before they ultimately pulp them, which is also on their dime.

This is not a game small comic publishers can afford to play. It's like putting money into a savings account with no withdrawal and a negative interest.

>Diamond Comics Distributors will continue to sell and distribute graphic novels and comics exclusively to the comic book specialty market. Diamond will also continue to handle distribution of graphic novels, books, and other merchandise to the mass market in the UK.

itsfuckingnothing.exe

>The first break!

Um, Dark Horse has been using Random House for book store distro for like, a year plus already.

Source: I had a book published by Dark Horse in the last 14 months.

>I had a book published by Dark Horse
Who are you?

>Um, Dark Horse has been using Random House for book store distro for like, a year plus already.

Yeah, even Comics Beat pointed that out in their article. Let's face it, OP and the other anons like or or or don't even know how comics are distributed but jump on the Diamond Is Evil bandwagon without understanding why Diamond is fucked up.

>leave muh Diamond alone!

Who cares? Print is dead. Most revenue from the comics medium uses some form of virtual delivery.

Wait, this is only for TPBs? Bleh.

Baby steps,

Look, all I want is to not have to pay full price for a digital comic that should logically cost less than a physical one. Is that too much to ask for?

t. Someone who has never had to work with them

Does this mean that IDW's shipping schedule and delays aren't going to be so fucking awful any more?

No, thats still gonna be a mess.

The meme that printing cost increase is the reason floppies are expensive probably needs to end. The costs for digital distribution are just as high and they could not become cheaper even if physical floppies died.

Wait for the Comixology sales if that's your concern.

It doesn't matter until Image leaves Diamond the bookstore market.

Walking Dead merch is keeping Diamond afloat, without it they'll crash and bring down the entire direct market system with them (and probably a bunch of publishers)

Thanks gook printers. What other publishers use them?

t. someone who can't read a post

Prove to me that OP is someone who actually understands why Diamond is bad (and there are lots) instead of someone who's copying what other people say and couldn't even read an article.

>penniless indie publisher leaving the only supply joint in the industry

just bankrupt my shit up

Maybe you should at least read the thread before posting if you're not going to read the article