Does anyone else feel like Marvel Studios is limiting themselves?

Does anyone else feel like Marvel Studios is limiting themselves?

They have all these great elements and ideas, and they incorporate source material into the films in interesting ways, but there's just something missing. It's like they're consciously holding back in order to please the widest audience possible. I know this is the most obvious statement of all time.

The thing is though, Guardians felt fresh and different... annnnd then they went right back the same ol' thing.

Do you think they'll take bigger risks in the future or will they continue to toe the line?

No.

Its amazing that everyone is complaining about the MCU when just a handful of years ago, they created the unthinkable. They literally made incredibly successful movies about the Guardians of the Galaxy and Antman.

This is limiting themselves? You're probably one of those faggots that said those would flop.

Even as a fan of the marvel movies, they're definitely holding back. They're trying to make broad-appeal action blockbuster movies that are all tonally more or less the same.

While that sells, it's not very artistically fulfilling. The netflix shows are a breath of fresh air.

Toe the line. In this particular case, I think it's them trying to keep themselves grounded. Ofttimes holding back is good. I think they don't want to go all balls off the wall crazy with their films. Don't wanna go full retard.

>Do you think they'll take bigger risks in the future or will they continue to toe the line?
Marvel has always been a company focused on making money first and foremost, no matter how they do it. They'll stick to a formula that works. It's why these movies will never have a good villain, and why these movies will never be treated or taken seriously.

I think they're limiting themselves a lot with the Thor franchise.

The others are pretty good, in my opinion. I do hope they go balls to the walls crazy with Strange, it would be a shame if they held back with him.

In what way did I imply I wasn't a fan of the films?

I've enjoyed all of them. I think your impulsive rage must've misinterpreted what I was asking.

Its a Disney subsidiary so they make Disney movies. Why do you idiots constantly ignore this?

>The thing is though, Guardians felt fresh and different
In what way? Was it the jokes or the quips? Or maybe it was the shallow, throwaway villain?

The pretty background shots. That's really all I got.

Dude Marvel has been nothing but risky

Phase 1
>Some B list superhero gets a great movie
>Hulk returns again and is still done well
>Great Iron Man sequel
>Thor was a fun movie
>Captain America was another fun movie
>Avengers is one of the biggest movies of all time and is now in pop culture

Phase 2
>Continues to give strong sequels for all the superheroes
>Introduces Guardians and Ant-man, haters say they will be flops but they then out to be completely wrong and we get another 2 great movies.
>Get another great avengers movie

Phase 3
>We get a great Civil War movie, with the likes of Spider-Man and Black Panther that has the greatest action sequence in any comic book movie ever.
>All those future movies with great casting and positive hype all ending with Infinity War

What more can you ask for?
We should be grateful that we've gotten this many great movies, in could've turned out so much worser.

You are the lowest common denominator and exactly who these movies were made for.

I don't want to degrade your point, as it's sound. Just a friendly FYI, Ant-Man's Phase 3.

No, it's phase two.

>You are the lowest common denominator and exactly who these movies were made for.
What the hell is this supposed to mean? It's a non-insult. Yeah I like popular things, shoot me

Let me guess you're from Sup Forums

No, it's Phase 2

Thing about the whole risk taking thing is that if you fuck up, it's hard to get back. There's a reason it's called risk in the first place

Guardians and Ant-Man in and of themselves were risky.

My one hope
whatever they do with Howard the Duck, movie, TV show, whatever
is that they balance humor and drama.

So many people forget exactly how rough Howard had it back in the day. His series opened with him contemplating suicide and ended with one of his friends in a hospital after being brutally beaten and raped and another in the same hospital after being shot.

Is this supposed to be insulting? Liking fun things?

How can it be phase 2? IT came out AFTER AoU.

Please post more posters

It wasn't an insult, it was a statement. They're generic movies that all follow the same formula. I'm not saying their bad, and they don't really appeal to me at all, but there's nothing wrong with liking them. But they really do appeal to the lowest common denominator, and there's nothing wrong with that. No need to get upset.

Your argument presupposes that you can't enjoy MCU films as well as deeper, more meaningful fare, because enjoying the MCU makes you lowest common denominator by default.

The bizarre elitism around the MCU has always confused me. You realize people can enjoy more then one kind of movie, right?

>You realize people can enjoy more then one kind of movie, right?
Of course. But the MCU are literally built for the lowest common denominator audience, there's no arguing that. But you're just being silly if you think there's anything "deep or "meaningful" there, and in that case, you'd be no different from the trolls that constantly try to claim the DC snyder flicks as being true art that you just don't understand.

> But you're just being silly if you think there's anything "deep or "meaningful" there, and in that case, you'd be no different from the trolls that constantly try to claim the DC snyder flicks as being true art that you just don't understand.

Wait, what? When did I say that?

/thread

I really dont understand why drones just blatantly ignore and refuse to accept this

He said you can enjoy MCU films AS WELL AS deeper, more meaningful movies. Not that the MCU is deep.

Well it was supposed to be phase one but Edgar WRight happened. So it got shuffled around.

I misread it, my fault.

It's all good senpai.

>The thing is though, Guardians felt fresh and different... annnnd then they went right back the same ol' thing.

Really this is only the case, because after GotG they went back to the sequels and shit. And of course sequels aren't gonna reinvent anything. Ant-man is the only one that was an original series that felt like the same shit. Everything else only felt like the same shit because it already had an established tone. There's nothing you can do when you did something before and it worked so good. Now i'm feeling like Dr. Strange and Black Panther might be fresh and reamp the MCU like GotG did.

> Guardians felt fresh and different
I like MCU in general, but no - GotG didn't have anything fresh or different about them.
Both Avengers were (each in a different way), as well as TWS and Civil War. First Iron Man was back in 2008.
But Guardians is just another MCU movie.
Nothing less. Nothing more.

Avengers, GOTG and Ant-man are amazing success stories.

Avengers, was expected to do well because none of the marvel movies had bombed, but it was the biggest opening of its time and very well received. No one had done what marvel did since like... the 30's or 40's with monster movie cross overs.

GOTG, space opera, unknown characters...... but marvel. Ant-man, kind of a joke, laughed at less than aquaman, but still not too respected.

I think marvel is doing fine. I think its really hard to do more without fucking up their world they've built. I hope they explore unseen territory and take risks. I expect that in some films and not in others.

Black Panther and Captain Marvel will play it safe, its their black hero and their woman hero, they don't wanna fuck em up.

GotG 2, ant-man and wasp, avengers 4. I expect they have more room to breath and fuck around.

>Ant-man, kind of a joke, laughed at less than aquaman,

because very few people knew him. aquaman was mocked by super friends

It had style. I love the Marvel films, but one thing that I and many others have a problem with is that they begin to blend together after a while. Guardians was something wholly different. The soundtrack, the beautiful shot composition, the interesting world and fun characters. Sure, it still has a generic ending, but overall the directors vision shines through. I feel the same way about the Winter Soldier, but in a different way.

I would argue that some MCU films DO have meaningful moments, they just aren't developed much more than a base level. Such as Steve and Bucky's plot in Winter Soldier.

Ant-Man was suppose to come out after AOU but got delayed because Edgar Wright left as director.

>Ant-Man was suppose to come out after AOU

It did come out after AoU. Hence the confusion.

Say what you will, but Marvel has definitely been holding back as far as the villains go. After all of these Marvel movies, how many interesting costumed comic book villains have we seen? Barely any. Lot's of guys in suits, though.

>What more can you ask for?

Good comics from Marvel, the films are boring as fuck..

Antman didnt get delayed because of wrights departure. It actually got released a couple weeks earlier.

Wright was the reason ant-man got delayed off of a possible 2009-2013 release.