Fox Buys Stan Lee Life Rights for 1970s-Set Action Adventure Movie

Yes, the iconic co-creator of Marvel Comics characters has made countless appearances in movies but this time, it’s a slice of Lee’s life that is getting the cinematic treatment. But not in the way you might expect.

Twentieth Century Fox, the studio behind the most Marvel movies after Disney and the studio behind the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises, has acquired Lee's life rights with a goal of creating a period action adventure movie, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey, the producers behind such movies as Twilight, The Maze Runner and the upcoming Power Rangers, are attached to produce what is being described as being in the tone of Kingsman: The Secret Service, or as one insider put it, “Roger Moore’s 007,” with Lee as the hero with an alter ego.

Lee and Gil Champion, Lee's partner at POW! Entertainment, will executive produce the project.

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-buys-stan-lee-life-928087
youtu.be/GjcuxSl991s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The story of Lee has been well-documented. Lee, born Stanley Lieber, grew up poor in the Bronx, and entered the comic book publishing world at the age of 17 in 1939, working for his uncle at Timely comics.

Lee’s dream was to write the “Great American Novel” and he was considering quitting when his wife, whom he considers the great love of his life, convinced him to give write the comic ideas he wanted to as one last shot at the business.

Thus, in his 40s, Lee co-created The Fantastic Four, which launched the Marvel Age of Comics. Lee, and mostly with artists Kirby and Steve Ditko, created hero after hero – Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, The X-Men, Iron Man, The Hulk, among many others – revitalizing the decaying publishing house and changing the face of pop culture forever.

In the 1970s, Lee moved to Hollywood, where he wanted to pursue a dream of seeing his characters adapted for the big and small screens and hobnobbed with the town's luminaries.

But this will be no biopic but rather an adventure with Lee as the main character. Kingsman and Roger Moore James Bond movies had dapper heroes who quipped one-liners, and in Moore’s case, flirted with the ladies, as they parried with larger-than-life evildoers.

No writer has been hired to flesh out the story so the projects existing details could morph. Exec Matt Reilly is overseeing for Fox.

CAA repped Lee in the deal.

As the man would say, Excelsior!

hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-buys-stan-lee-life-928087

What

Fox is making a Stan Lee action movie set in the 70s.

I wonder what role Kirby will play.

Stan Lee
A Movie About Stan Lee
By Stan Lee
Featuring Stanley Stevens as Stan Lee

Reminds me of Kojima

Will Stan Lee have s cameo?

>they will show Jack Kirby as the bad guy
Calling it now.

>mfw Marvel starts DELETE DELETE DELETE Stan Lee from everything

Fuck yeah, Perlmutter still hates his guts.

So it's a horror movie?

Will Stan have a cameo?

The role of a cuck who watches Stan fuck his wife.

Stan Lee confirmed for Marvel's Bob Kane.

The movie sounds too positive. Stanley Lieber is a piece of shit and more people should know it

Probably won't show him as anything but a background person since the Kirby estate will Reeeeeeeeeeeee if they show Jack in any bad light.

Cast him!

I can hear Roy Thomas fapping.

>the King of Comics as anything but a background person
Typical Lee.

Lee is worse

Oh that's bullshit.

Those rights belong to Marvel! It's not fair!

Stan was already in his fifties by the 1970s'. Why not set it in the 60's and make it similar to the Silver Age? It'd be more fun that way.

>create
lol

Isn't he a pedophile? I read that on Sup Forums

If they're going full Bond I can see Kirby being a Q like character.

Because having him peddle movie and TV rights seems more interesting than him stealing from Kirby and Ditko.

Movie about the Image gang when?

>I wonder what role Kirby will play.
Jack Kirby will be portrayed by Louis CK

Michael Parks.

Legitimate question, why do people think Lee is a piece of shit?
Credit hog I could see, but like a Bob Kane level asshole?
>Establishes himself as a spokesperson/salesman for Marvel
>Constantly bills himself as "CO-creator" of classic characters rather than taking full credit
>Was pretty clearly the "face" of the company; more of a spokesperson, like Reggie is to Nintendo of America
>DID have a hand in bringing major characters to life, helped spark the era when most of Marvel's icons were born
>Him being a character/big name helped the comic book industry to be recognized as something more than a way to sell horror stories and x-ray specs to kids

He just doesn't come off as a bad guy to me. A little full of himself, maybe, but I dunno what sparks all the bile I see directed at him. Is there something I'm just missing? I admit full ignorance here and welcome any additional info.

>why do people think Lee is a piece of shit?
user, there's a reason why he's a Lich.

>why do people think Lee is a piece of shit?
>Credit hog I could see, but like a Bob Kane level asshole?
Yes
>Constantly bills himself as "CO-creator"
After everyone began to remind him that the artists created too, that is.
>DID have a hand in bringing major characters to life
But too small.

This sounds like a stupid idea.
A legitimate biopic about the Marvel bullpen would be so much cooler.
>A bunch of Jews writing anti-Nazi stories during WW2 amidst death threats and intimidation tactics from Nazi sympathizers
>Jack Kirby dangling that one dude out the window
>Creating the F4 to compete with the JLA
>"You can't call him SPIDER-Man, people HATE spiders!"
>Merry Marvel Marching Society
>Reactions to 60's Marvel cartoons
>Fighting with the CCA
>Lee hitting Hollywood in the 70's trying to license movie adaptations
>That one Spider-Man pitch that was a Cronenberg-style horror movie about a Man-Spider that kills its creator
>Drama, death, betrayal
>Ends with the Hollywood premier of Iron Man in 2008

Jack Kirby was in Normandy during WW2 and once faced a pro-Nazi supporter in USA. Now THAT would make a good biopic.

Guaranteed Oscar
FUND IT

People calling Lee an asshole remind me of people calling Christianity a conspiracy because they read something vague about the council of Nicaea

They learn small truths and paint them as something bigger for the sake of going against the supposedly ingorant masses

The Sheeple, pls

Who would play Ditko?

I remember some even where Alan Moore asked him once if Steve Ditko created Spiderman and Stan Lee kept dodging the question saying shit like "In my opinion, he may have had a small role in creating spiderman" and shit like that.
He's just a credit stealing piece of shit.

>I'm portraying Stan Lee the way he was meant to be played, as a proud woman of color.

Make it like Jersey Boys; tell the story of a group of people and jump forward 5-10 years like twice every act.
>Follows Lee, Kirby, Ditko, Romita, etc.
>Starts in the 40's, Lee is a kid
>Newcomer to Timely comics, acts as the primary protagonist since he'd be the one the audience could follow; they enter the world that will become Marvel Comics alongside him
>Act 1 is WW2, rising action, every major Marvel milestone
>Creation of Spider-Man, formation of the Avengers, Captain America is thawed out, etc.
>Act 2 is where the drama sets in
>Begins fucking peachy, there's tons of merch and money and Lou Ferrigno is making the Hulk a household name
>New generation of X-Men, new generation of comic readers
>Stan Lee goes to Hollywood to try to get some movies made, people start dying, everyone is mad at one another, the 90's comic slump hits
>Act 3 is the 2000's, we see the X-Men movies and Raimi trilogy made
>Comics come back in a big way
>Ultimate Marvel starts up, we see a new team take over the company as Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man becomes a big hit
>Lee is old as shit, reflecting on his life
>End of the movie is him attending the premier of Iron Man, wondering what could possibly come next
>End credits are run over a montage of Marvel media
>Begins with old Merry Marvel Marching Society songs over old panels of iconic moments
>60's Spider-Man, when Captain America throws his mighty shield
>Fox Kids X-Men, Radioactive Spider-Blood
>Danny Elfman Spidey theme, the 9/11 issue
>Booming Alan Sylvestri score over a montage of MCU clips
>We see how a company that made funny books before WW2 became MARVEL

This would be an amazing movie

Spanish Fan film kirby and ed woods in ww2
youtu.be/GjcuxSl991s

I'll take these, it'll be the closest we'll get to a Kavalier and Clay adaptation.

Stay in school.

BROTHER MOUSE I KNEW YOU'D COME

>The role of a cuck who watches Stan fuck his wife.
Stan never fucked Roz Kirby. He let Jack do it then took the credit like usual.

No it wouldn't. It would have to be a sad story, one about good creators being destroyed by greedy fucks like Stan, Cadence, Disney...

A tough guy always chiding Stan for being a scrawny coward, completely unaware of his double life.

No he's just the Ronald McDonald of comics

>Implying Kirby, if he shows up at all, won't be a quick cameo as a rival agent or Q-type gadgets guy

You're full of shit

He sells trash pretending to pass it as something worth buying?

Sheeple pls

this is fucking retarded

Reminds me of that movie project about the theft of Nicolas Cage's prized Action Comics #1 in which Cage wanted to play the thief and someone else to play him. I believe He suggested Jason Statham.

Don't worry, it will be scrapped for that exact reason.

Not even a little bit true, bob kane was a rich kid asshole, who stole ideas/hard work of others to create a nsme for himself. Stan lee worked with artist and managed their ideas gave them credit and simply made sure he was a star, and didn't fade into obscurity. He wanted fame and did what it took to get it. But he's always given artist artist credit, always. Bob kane couldn't draw or write and always said he did both.

>a rich kid asshole, who stole ideas/hard work of others to create a nsme for himself
>couldn't draw or write and always said he did both.
Sounds familiar.

With tits and and ass and shiny leather

Dude you're remembering wrong. An interviewer kept pressing him to say he was the sole creator. He said yes he was. He created all of his characters, he said they where his ideas. But then said, the artist brought a lot to the table. He said kirby had ideas of what personality they should have. He wanted to say they where co creators, but the guy kep saying that means you didn't create them so he'd bounce back and say yes they're my creations.

It wasn't about putting down kirby or dicko it was about him not liking people saying he didn't create them. Which he did, he's a co creator. He was forced to those answers.

>h-he was pressed into lying!

Who will Stan Lee play though? Some old man who gives young Stan advice? Maybe Stan should play his own grandfather.

? Stan said he could never draw or are you making a disney comparison?

We have enough holocaust movies but thanks for your idea

That user isn't wrong. That interviewer was essentially "bullying" Stan into saying what he wanted him to say.

He didn't lie, you're making shit up. He was pressed to say he was sole creator and he never did it, he kept saying they where technicaly co-creators. But he would never give himself less of a credit. He thinks they wouldn't be as popular or relevant if it wasn't for him. Lrn 2 watch the edivence, not just slander like an asshole. The only tin foil hat here is you.

>come up with ideas for man with spider powers called spiderman
>"HURR YOU DIDN'T CREATE IT BECAUSE THIS OTHER GUY DID THE ART"

Fuck off, faggot

>0.25 $ have been added to your account

Not to mention he had a huge part of developing modern character traits still important to the character and development of his most famous rouges and supporting characters. It's like saying neil gaiman shouldn't get credit for his work on sandman because he didn't draw it.

>Stan Lee defense force
Lmao

>he had a huge part of developing modern character traits
You mean those corny dialogues?
>It's like saying neil gaiman shouldn't get credit for his work on sandman because he didn't draw it.
Because DC/Vertigo writers do write, casual.

You're a shitty troll. Because you're straight up just being retarded. Not even making an argument, just stating dumb bullshit.

Found the Stage-2fag.

No you fucking idiot, I don't like Lee I think he's a dick and I think he took more credit than he deserved a lot of the time, especially from Kirby, but Ditko wanted Peter to be a reclusive asshole, while Lee wanted him to be more of a nerdy dweeb who could come out of his shell as Spider-Man. Guess which one is the character we know today?

>"Jack, I have a new idea! The Fantastic Four fight God! EXCELSIOR!"
>"But Stan, by God do you mean--"
>"EXCELSIOR!"
>"Stan, I need to know--"
>"EXCELSIOOOOOOR!"
>*sigh* "OK, I'll get on with it."
>Jack spends hours writing and drawing the Galactus arc
>Stan tells readers how he created Galactus and Jack helped him a bit with the script

Nice tears, stanfag.

>Guess which one is the character we know today?
The teenager who is unemployed and broke and still living at Aunt May's?

Your ignorance of how working in comics actually is/was, is amazing. It's like a child who thinks the refrigerator just magicaly makes food apear. With no concept of parents working for that food and shopping for it.

>Your ignorance of how working in comics actually is/was, is amazing.
Oh shit, we have an expert here : )

>Oh shit we have a shit poster over here

You really need expertise to not be a fucking idiot? well maybe you do, because you seem a little slow

>so much namecalling

That would have been amazing.

Venom Snake

> Kirby as Stoddard Thorson
>"Did I ever tell you about that time Mr. Miracle and Big Barda went ice fishing?"

Oh fuck off you know exactly what I meant

>Fox follows the X-men formula
>first movie is set in the 60's and 70's
>does well gets a sequel
>set in the 70's 80's and early 90;s
>time for part 3
>late 90's and early 2000's
>stops before MCU
>all 3 films feature lots of x-men and fantastic four
>cameo by fox's DD

Exactly!

>all 3 films feature lots of x-men and fantastic four
Huh, only now did I realise that this is probably the only place we'll ever get to see the Fantastic Four not getting shit on.

So what did Marvel get in exchange for the Stan Lee rights?

the rights to Grant Morrison. His movie gonna be a fictional biopic in the style of Fear & Loathing, and Naked Lunch, revolving around the story of his attempts to bring about the hypercrisis while on more magic mushrooms than any human being should be able to handle

Nothing. Marvel doesn't own Stan Lee, they just license the use of his name and image at this point.

>he was considering quitting when his wife, whom he considers the great love of his life, convinced him to give write the comic ideas he wanted to as one last shot at the business

Isn't this the story he tells for the creation of the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man (Hulk too iirc)? He gives his wife more credit than he does Kirby and Ditko.

Lee gave them credit as artists but stole their writing/plotting credits because he thought putting dialogue in speech bubbles was more important than creating compelling stories and characters.

Superior version.

Everyone is a pedophile on Sup Forums

You have excellent taste in movies.

>Movies
It can become a full series if Amazon picks it up.

Please pick it up, Amazon.