Why does it seem that Japan, America, Canada, and France have a monopoly on cartoons...

Why does it seem that Japan, America, Canada, and France have a monopoly on cartoons? You rarely hear of animation from Korea, Australia, Scotland, etc. Plenty of comics but actual cartoons? Not often.

Other urls found in this thread:

myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=70149
youtube.com/watch?v=Vx5KiuzAzbA)
m.youtube.com/watch?v=UbuavmBIL7s
youtube.com/watch?v=kqTYA9FkdyQ
youtube.com/watch?v=oZySKdewC1E
youtube.com/watch?v=QaOlPVS5d70
youtube.com/watch?v=NrWA7063osA
youtube.com/watch?v=TAvklW84nFI
youtube.com/watch?v=fyKL1IQLcCA
youtube.com/watch?v=1BmcE6OFRyE
youtube.com/watch?v=WchJHLBBFVI
youtube.com/watch?v=o6J-0Npu7m4
youtube.com/watch?v=BTDvCXr9liY
youtube.com/watch?v=8rqs1VI9KL8
youtube.com/watch?v=l2P5h9oH83U
m.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Y1d4a4r-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=3W7HpjhL5dw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Teach me, OP.

Teach what?

Because their artistic priorities are terrible.

You're forgetting Russia, they have some good animation.

About cartoons from Korean, Australia, and Scotland.

Australia fell for the STEM meme and the government keeps cutting the budget on all things art, including art schools.

I know of good Korean films like Leafie but they're not often discussed.

Eh. The OP pic is Soviet Russian but I don't know how Russia is doing nowadays. Their cartoons don't get imported at least.

It's just way harder to successfully create a cartoon in those places.
Common problems would be lack of money, lack of highly skilled and experienced professionals (talented art school graduates isn't enough), no established industry, "brain drain" to countries with better established industries, inexperienced/corrupt/know-it-all people in charge of projects.

No idea about Korea though, since they do have a very serious animation industry, just not a a whole lot of original content.

>Their cartoons don't get imported at least.
Pretty sure Gogoriki or whatever they are called now are from Russia, although just one show for preschoolers is definitely not something big.

Sir Billi is why Scotland doesn't do animation.

Australian studios did The Lego Movie and FernGully. There's a few things done for local consumption but afaik none of it is really of any quality. There's a guy named Yoram Gross who did locally popular things.

marketing
we're big names in the world, we get all the attention

>You rarely hear of animation from Korea

99% of all "American" cartoons come from Korea, user.

This. It's all about the advertising budget

Leafie used to get discussed. I guess it's just because it's not recent enough to still get talked about.

>You rarely hear of animation from Korea
and Animaniacs.

Has China done anything? I know Kung Fu Panda made their citizens more interested in animation because they couldn't understand why Americans are making movies about their culture while they don't.

Everyone else is imorting everythign and do not consider that they have to make anything for themselves. Just import and dub, repeat.

I don't hear about live action television or film from any of those places either.

I'm pretty sure OP means produced in, not just animated in a sweatshop for another country.

Basically. The only cartoons here are for preschoolers and co-produced with Canada or somewhere in Asia. There's just no support from the government.

It wasn't just that, it was that Americans were making better movies about their culture than they were.

Best Korea makes some cartoons.

They made that fish thing that looks like an anime. I heard it was a hit.

To be fair, many modern cartoons from america are from Korea.

China's doing some anime that... kinda feels like bootleg anime but it's okay. myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=70149

I like Nuwa Chengzhang Riji (otome harem anime)

Huyao Xiao Hongniang/Fox Spirit Matchmaker has like three seasons (it's a harem anime pretty much.)

>Scotland
Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea.

And they're fucking amazing.
Holy shit, never thought the adventures of commie squirrels could be this engaging.

That's Ireland, dingus.

Scotland has a population of a medium size American city, how much of ANYTHING do you expect them to produce?

England makes plenty of animated stuff. Gumball's made in London, for crying out loud. They have Aardman, which has made several shows and movies.

Ireland has made a few movies. Korea makes tons of animation, but is very integrated into the production pipelines of other countries.

I suspect their home-grown products don't get much attention outside of Korea, generally.

Those countries are rich and have history with it. Japan and the US have both loved animation and comics for 60+ years. France has always had tons of comics and has just recently really gotten into animation. Canada is the exception, the only reason they make cartoons is they have laws forcing them to, kind of like the dramatic reverse of this:

Australiacore animation?

I feel like I'm the only one that remember The Magic Riddle Australian animated movie.

SheZow was co-Australian. I remember Lil' Elvis and the Truckstoppers (best opening: youtube.com/watch?v=Vx5KiuzAzbA) and Tracey McBean.

I kind of just want to go watch Australian TV now like Saddle Club, H2O: Just Add Water, Cybergirl and Ocean Girl.

Australian kid shows: underrated.

US animation is a result of Hollywood and American dominance over a lot of Western media
Japan's is a result of it's large manga industry
Canada's animation is supported by its government and succesful due to the fact that it's cheap and easy for US networks to purchase Canadian shows without needing to edit them for US audiences
France has Gobelins, which is the most prestigious Animation college in Europe, arguably the World depending on your opinion towards CalArts.

Korea has a huge animation industry, arguably bigger than France's and Canada's, but they don't produce a lot of original content because they make more money working for American and Japanese studios, as there isn't a big market for original Korean animation.
China is making inroads towards developing its industry, as it wants to compete with countries like USA, Britain and Japan across all media platforms, including animation.
Ireland punches above its weight for a similar reason Canada does, due to government subsidies.

I'm waiting for pic related, it's supposed to be released this year but I'm not sure.
They also make both anime like and american like cartoons.

Marketing, distribution, advertising and all that jazz.

>Korea
m.youtube.com/watch?v=UbuavmBIL7s

BLech.

I think there are always some good cartoons made every year, it's just that normalfags never care about cartoons so they never get any publicity.

One of the big reasons why Ireland has a much bigger industry than Scotland (which only has around 5 animation studios max) is that there are more trained animators there. In the 80s a lot of American animators flocked to the country because of tax benefits - Don Bluth decided to work out of Ireland and helped establish the country's first animation course at a local university, and Murakami Wolf Swenson of TMNT fame soon set up their own studio. That and Ireland has a history of collaborating with other countries on stuff (Tomm Moore's films are co-productions with a handful other countries, while Irish studios have worked on overseas commercials). Scotland on the other hand has next to nothing outside of independent shorts, a few bits of work on TV series/promos and a couple of features (and even then the bulk of animators responsible for Sir Billi were cheap labour flown in from Eastern Europe, while most people working on The Illusionist weren't even Scottish).

>France has always had tons of comics and has just recently really gotten into animation.
>recently
The first animated movie adapation of Asterix goes back to 1967.

I think there was a trend of 3d animated cartoons in South Korea at the beginning of the 2000s.

Considering Scotlands development in gaming/software it's a wonder that literally next to no animation comes from us.

Granted, we get literally next to no funding for ANY artistic endeavour unless it's through the BBC, which is an English company.

Does Scottish Parliament just not care about the arts?

I have heard of a few good Chinese animated films. The mods on Sup Forums often delete China threads though. They're not allowed on Sup Forums either.

>You rarely hear of...Australia

We have the best stop motion animation in the world. My brother is being taught by a guy who worked on Mary and Max.

>scotland

scotland isn't a real country.

>British Broadcasting Corporation is English

Oh wait you mean that because it doesn't specifically cater to scottish special snowflakes it's pro english.

I know, it's terrifying how good they are. Like, there aren't even that many anime like it that I can think of, and none that I can think of that pull off spy drama like this.

>I kind of just want to go watch Australian TV now like Saddle Club, H2O: Just Add Water, Cybergirl and Ocean Girl.

My father does, for...reasons.

Budgetary concerns.

Well that's garbage. Were else could you make them? /trash/?

From time to time other countries make cartoons, but it seems theyre contend in importing most stuff.
Even the best cartoon my country ever produced was outsourced to Japan.
Pic related.

Russia actually makes a fair few themselves as I recall. But most of what Ive seen is old stuff.

There's some great Soviet animation but it only ever existed out of a necessity created by the the USSR restricting American cinema. The end of the Cold War was the worst thing that ever happened to Russian animation.

>how Russia is doing nowadays
yfw Russia is producing its first mahou shoujo
youtube.com/watch?v=kqTYA9FkdyQ

Yeah but they really ramped it up in the past ten, fifteen years.

Please, we talk about cartoons that are 20+ years old all the time. It's likely just a combination of the mods not liking Asian animation and Korean/Chinese stuff being more obscure. I've tried making manhwa or Korean threads many times on both Sup Forums and Sup Forums. They always get deleted. Sup Forums is Japanese only, hates Koreans, and says to go to Sup Forums. Sup Forums thinks Korean animation is too animesque and tells you to go to Sup Forums.

I just do not talk about them.

They exported a lot of cartoons in the past 15 years, doesn't mean there was no industry before.
I'm French and, apart from the collaborations with the Japaneses in the 80s (french story and director, japanese animators) I remember french cartoons from the 90s which were probably never diffused outside of Europe.

They're starting to. But you see more bootlegs than anything.

Basically someone in the government thought that foreign cartoons were 'corrupting the youth' and were limiting the market for budding Chinese animators so they moved a lot of US/Japan shows out of the prime time and flat out blocking others so Chinese shows can have more attention. The thing is these Chinese animators love foreign shows and were really mad about the heads getting rid of their favorite shows. End results? Knockoff cartoons of popular anime/cartoons as a 'fuck you too'.

Weirdly enough Wales, or specifically Cardiff has a small bit of animation buzz going on.
At least more than Scotland.

>France has always had tons of comics and has just recently really gotten into animation
Animation has a lot of it's roots in France.
It's just recently that their stuff has been getting global recognition.

Well Little Door Gods saw some attention on Sup Forums briefly. Probably because it is closer to something Pixar or Disney would make.

And Flower Girl waifu

Hungary also seems to be something of a stronghold of animation for some reason.
Feherlofia is the most recognizable example of Hungarian animation, but a lot of Western European work is outsourced there for inbetweening and cleanups and stuff.

Because they're dicks.

>Korea
They seem more focused on making others' animations than their own. The few I've found are all over the place in quality.

>Australia
Only shows I've seen were pretty shitty. May not be indicative of their animation as a whole but it really isn't your best foot forward when Netflix puts 'The Day My Butt Went Psycho' on the top.

>Scotland
Sir Billi. Nuff said.

I don't understand much ruskie, but aren't Russians salty as hell because they think it rips off Gravity Falls and Winx?

The fall of communism was truly horrible.

Gorbachev was a mistake.

Shit, it didn't point to this I'm referring to vids like this
youtube.com/watch?v=oZySKdewC1E

Wasn't it Yeltsin who did that shock therapy stuff that fucked up the economy?

You sure you want to see what other countries have to offer?

youtube.com/watch?v=QaOlPVS5d70

Telemundo and Univision never air Spanish language cartoons. Only occasionally dubbed versions of American animated films. It's a shame. I am trying to become fluent in Spanish (it's embarrassing being a latino that can't speak Spanish) and watching tv helps you learn words.

>but aren't Russians salty as hell because they think it rips off Gravity Falls and Winx?
Opposite, but they remain very cautions, having a good cartoon based on a foreign idea may not be perfect, but could be a healthy bump for potential future of domestic animation, plus it's based on slavic folklore, which changes the flavor a bit.

Gorbachev was a preclude to Yeltsin. Once he started on his path to reforms and lifted his hand on state repression the fall of communism became inevitable.

Russian government supports animation, but it's usually preschool shows, some of them are insanely succesful here and are sold to international tv networks:
youtube.com/watch?v=NrWA7063osA
youtube.com/watch?v=TAvklW84nFI
youtube.com/watch?v=fyKL1IQLcCA
youtube.com/watch?v=1BmcE6OFRyE
Also Russia has their own Adult Swim, so there are a lot of projects for older audience, but none of them lived long enough, it's either just a pilot or few short seasons:
youtube.com/watch?v=WchJHLBBFVI
youtube.com/watch?v=o6J-0Npu7m4
youtube.com/watch?v=BTDvCXr9liY
youtube.com/watch?v=8rqs1VI9KL8

Nah, you make em on Sup Forums, you just have to deal with the fact that your threads will have a bunch of trolls in them. It's pretty much what happens for korean and chinese comics. You have the 3-6 people who actually follow the comic(more, if it's something popular like The Breaker), and about twice as many people spamming that you're in the wrong place or whatever, despite korean+chinese comics belonging on Sup Forums according to mods. It's an uphill battle for sure.

Anything you recommend? I'm intermediate at best in spanish and learning for much the same reasons (though I'm of spaniard origins)

Your picture let me seach for Bamse on Wikipedia and it said there was two years ago a film of it.

The Red Turtle from Michael Dudok de Wit was now quite appreciated,but I read it was also a french and japanese co-podruction.

youtube.com/watch?v=l2P5h9oH83U

>stronghold of animation
More like a barn shed.

'Merica outsources their animation in Korea.

We've been over this user...

Same with movies, tv shows, books, It's an economical issue.

What? No, plenty of books are from foreign countries.

With live action it makes sense. Dubbed movies and shows are always unnatural and awful. Cartoons are different though. They can be dubbed and look normal.

>Books
What the fuck? Every country has their own literature.

yeah, but we only get to read the "good books" of those countries and they are still pretty dark, while people on poland or roumania get to read shit like 50 shades of gray made by some british cuck you'll never read an iranian or taiwanian twilight or harry potter and let me tell you they have those.

Also I'm pretty sure every nation has it's own animation aswell.

Russian here. Avoid modern Russian animation like wildfire, it's all made for fucking toddlers (exept Smeshariki, or at least the earlier episodes of it). For example, pic related is called "Fixiki", it teaches children how different electronics work. It's not bad, but it's unwatchable I you are over the age of 8. No story, no interesting characters, just "funny" and educating cartoons for little kids. USSR had some great-ass cartoons though, here's one of them:
m.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Y1d4a4r-Q

Masha is fucking adorable.

Fuck, wrong pic

I make threads for Chinese cartoons all of the time. Beijing Opera Cats looked neat.

youtube.com/watch?v=3W7HpjhL5dw

The artwork during the credits was nice. It was split up into three parts and uploaded by the creators.

Seems kind of surreal that it would be KUNG FU PANDA of all things that would prompt that epiphany.

Why does that series have 1 billion views? There aren't 1 billion people who speak Russian

Probably just parents putting that shit on for their kids every day.

>Woof is a boy
FUCK THIS GAY SOVIET COUNTRY

You didnt know? "kitten" is a masculine word in Russian.

It's also a common practice to use female voice actors for cute animals, even if they are male. Cheburashka is also voiced by a woman.