/who/ - Doctor Who General

Tom and Nick laugh at the idiots who buy 4DAs edition

Previously on Big Finish:

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/OldRoberts953/status/896322388375285760
doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:DENCH-and-PALMER/Doctor_Who_shitpost_discord
youtube.com/watch?v=I1WWuFrO06E
digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a337044/doctor-who-steven-moffat-planned-river-song-twist-for-a-long-time/
youtube.com/watch?v=sFukyIIM1XI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>torchwood ended with miracle day!

I remember being really exited when BF announced they were doing Torchwood and I haven't listened to a single one.
Also what player is that?

They're generally really good, like tonnes better than expected, easily better than the TV show a lot of the time. Very few duds. PC Andy is kino in them.
Plex media player

Dead thread

Reminder that Doctor Who is dead

the Big Finish behind the scenes stuff can get so cringey, especially when the interviewers act like puppy dogs going "YOU LIKE SCI FI RIGHT, YOU LIKE DOCTOR WHO RIGHT, YOURE GONNA VALIDATE US RIGHT" and the actors get sketched out

>tfw simon russell beale asked for his opinions on torchwood characters and he's completely lost

twitter.com/OldRoberts953/status/896322388375285760

Aw

uh guys why is there a discord on the wiki

doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:DENCH-and-PALMER/Doctor_Who_shitpost_discord

Going by that user's contributions they are an outsider and not /who/ affiliated.

Reminder that books

It's the first series since 4 I've rewatched right through. Amazing since I actively wish the latter half of series 9 didn't happen.

I watched S1 an unhealthy amount of times when I was young, the DVDs with 3 episodes would come out every 3 weeks and I'd eagerly get them and rewatch them to high heaven, while still getting a fresh ep every week, great times.

I love that we can now call the character Dr Who and the anal retentives can't say fuck all about it. It's officially his canon name.

Why the fuck did the BBC tape over so many old episodes of Doctor Who?

Surely the cost of a fucking tape reel pales in comparison to the cost of producing an episode?

>It's officially his canon name.
You mean Basil?

Because they didn't repeat shows that much back then and home video wasn't a thing.

>Plex
thanks
>they have a linux version
day is off to a good start.

Dr Basil Who has a certain ring to it.

Where does the Basil come from?

He says it in Zygon Inversion when they're in the supermarket.

Isn't it a reference to those xmas tapes that used to circulate around the beeb in the 70s? I'm sure I recall him being called Basil Who in those.

but dr. who has always been his name

>What if 13 had two companions?
>- 9, Rose and Jack
>- 10, Rose and Mickey
>characters who had joining story and leave immediately after
Might as well have put Adam.

Xmas tapes? Wot?

I agree with you.

Isn't this logic faulty? Characters in TV shows are sometimes credited as "Yelling Woman" or "?????" or "The Farm Accountant" when we don't know their true name.

They used to distribute tapes of cock ups and skits at xmas time.

youtube.com/watch?v=I1WWuFrO06E

He's referred to as "Doctor Who" within the show though.

Eight is half human, are we going to consider that canon, too? :^)

Edge is here, time to tease him about how much he wants 10 to bang him!

Kek, if you like, but I'm not even remotely ashamed about it

Dr basil disco
He is even accredited as that in an episode, don't remember which one tho

I do!

I've never had a problem accepting it.

it explains a lot

Oh? I didn't expect you guys to be so accepting of that, I've only ever heard people reee over it.

(I'm interested in the lore about timelords banging humans if that's the case teebeeaich)

It used to be a lot more controversial but what with NewWho happening and all people have either forgotten about it or gotten over it, mostly.

n g l, I was like pic related when Hell Bent seriously entertained the idea

>n g l, I was like pic related when Hell Bent seriously entertained the idea

It was very cheeky

Smart of them to not confirm or deny it though

Disregard this. I've just watched one and he was called Doug Who. It would have been a nice obscure reference if he had called himself this.

It was a pretty big thing in the EDAs too, with Kate Orman, Jon Blum and Lance Parkin supporting the idea and other authors being against it.
Miles said that he wrote Alien Bodies about the Doctor's future because he was sick of people talking about his past.

>tfw chris langham never got his doctor who cameo

I'm sure I'll enjoy them when I get around to them. I'm perfectly happy with it being left ambiguous for good, but the idea appeals to me a lot.
Either way, Miles was probably wise in trying to talk future instead of past, the show can get very navel-gazy when it looks too much at the mysteries of the Doctor's early life. Thank god RTD nixed that fucking "Young Doctor" idea from the BBC.

friendly reminder that the "on my mother's side" part of that line is clearly intended to be a joke 8 is making

you can make a joke out of a fact

People always try to dismiss the half-human thing as 8 joking or being delirious, but don't address the fact it's the Master who first notices it from retinal scans of 8, while the Doctor isn't even present.

I've heard people try and claim that Dr Who was wearing contact lenses as part of a plot to fool the Master. For what purpose they were never able to explain.

If people want to consider the TV movie """non canon""", or at least the half human part (or do convoluted theories with chameleon arches and shit) that's fine and I get it, but yeah, clearly the half human thing was intended as legit.

The TV movie is officially canon though

I don't understand why people have an issue with accepting it. It's not like it detracts from the character.

As Moffat says, headcanon is where the show truly lives, in the hearts and minds of viewers. And the only officially canon thing is the S5 Adventure Games.

Yeah same, but then people could say the same to me about some stuff I like to retcon in my head, like bits of the 50th

You misunderstand me. The half-human part was obviously intended to be serious, I'm only saying that the "on my mother's side" part was clearly a joke.

I've never understood why people don't see that

Ohhh I getcha, sorry for misrepresenting what you were saying.
I could see it not being a joke and instead 8 being ultra flippant but yes that line totally plays as, at the very least, jocular.

Not just the way Mcgann plays the line, but the context of the scene too. He's desperately trying to tell grace about how he's figured out he's half-human, she fobs him off and tells him to tell some stranger instead. 8 does, and the stranger is obviously bewildered at this seemingly nonsensical statement, so then he casually adds the "on my mother's side" to further the absurdity of it.

At least that's how I remember it.

What was the reaction to the whole Doctor being called Dr Who thing on here? Also what's the general consensus on Bill? I think she's probably my favourite NuWho companion with Nardole being a close second.

>What was the reaction to the whole Doctor being called Dr Who thing on here?
That the joke was a little forced and dragged out way too long

>Also what's the general consensus on Bill?
I think she's great. A lot of people here are racist/homophobic though so /who/'s general consensus is muddied.

From what I remember there were just general cries of "BRAVO MOFFAT" in relation to the whole Doctor Who thing and I think most people generally either liked Bill or disliked her intensely - however, both sides seemed to agree that there was no need for her to go "btw I'm a lesbian guise" every episode.

Everyone loved Nardie, though.

Bill's great. I liked the Dr Who stuff, same way I usually like Moff's meta stuff.

>there was no need for her to go "btw I'm a lesbian guise" every episode
This literally didn't happen though.

Apart from the fact that it did, though. Opening episode I'll give a pass to because it's an introductory episode and the plot relatively hinged on it.

It literally didn't though. Go through the episodes. She mentioned her sexuality less than most NewWho companions.

I don't remember Rose, Martha or Donna doing it but I remember Amy and Clara mentioning it a few times.

Funny that there's an interesting development as it goes on, isn't there? It's almost as if something happened to the show, isn't it?

>what is rose and 10
>what is martha and 10

rtd companions were fucking horny

>however, both sides seemed to agree that there was no need for her to go "btw I'm a lesbian guise" every episode.
speak for yourself, cletus

STOP PROVING ME WRONG AND MAKING ME CHANGE MY OPINION
>I'm a cletus because I have a different opinion

Tripfags, everyone.

The entire Doctor/companion relationship in S2 hinges on shared heterosexual attraction. Played subtler in S1, though it does end in a great big kiss. Mickey, Jackie, all characters with lots of definition from their heterosexual relationships.
The entire Doctor/companion relationship in S3 hinges on Martha's heterosexual unrequited crush on the Doctor. Don't forget the constant mourning over the loss of the 10/Rose relationship.
S4 references the idea of Donna and 10 together as a joke repeatedly. Don't forget the 10/Rose relationship being pivotal again, to the point where a version of the Doctor literally goes off and loves and kisses her in the finale.
S5 again, hinges on Amy's sexual and romantic relationships. She tries to sleep with the Doctor. Her relationship with her boyfriend is the big companion arc. The title of the finale literally references their sex in the TARDIS. You see them in the outfits they were presumably going to fuck in, in the Christmas special.
S6 literally hinges on the child of that sex. S7A keeps that trend of focusing so heavily on that particular heterosexual relationship. This isn't a subtle thing either, Amy's basically a stripper in S5, the Space/Time shorts crack tonnes of sex jokes, imagine combing through the actual episodes and noting how many times this heterosexual relationship is explicitly referenced in a sexual context.
The Clara/11 (and even 12 at times) "boyfriend" debacle, Clara/Danny relationship in S8, Clara's implied bisexuality, etc etc.
S10. Bill. Has a crush on a girl in the premiere. Has two ill-fated dates played as gags around the midpoint. Has a few offhanded references to her sexuality when appropriate in the story, often to characterise people other than her anyway (the Romans bisexuality in Eaters of Light). Then her crush - a plot point, not just a random element - reappears in the finale. The finale also features a line where Bill reiterates she appreciates her platonic relationship with 12.

My main point is that I felt it was a lot more overt and frankly stated after Moffat took over. This does not nullify or say that RTD's era didn't have this, I just felt that it wasn't as obvious or that it was purposely forced.

I apologise if I misconstrued my opinion incorrectly or if I appeared rude.

>The title of the finale literally references their sex in the TARDIS.
Pffftffttfhahahaha

holy shit I didn't even notice that, the absolute madman

I'm not even joking with that, Moff's said that's literally what it means. Matt era is easiest the most sexuality-mention-heavy era of Who.

No worries, that's fair, your opinion is yours and I see a lot of people with similar ones, I just get triggered when people spread this "BLL RANDOMLY SAYS SHES GAY EVERY EPISODE OUT OF NOWHERE" meme when it's provably untrue.

She says it in a fair few episodes but only when it's relevant to the conversation at hand.

Also, BRAVO MOFFAT

>Moff's said that's literally what it means

no fucking way, you've got to be memeing me

sauce pls

digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a337044/doctor-who-steven-moffat-planned-river-song-twist-for-a-long-time/
>He added: "My favourite dirty joke in Doctor Who is the title of episode 13 in series 5, 'The Big Bang', [because it's] the night when River began. I laughed a lot when I thought of that."

Holy fucking shit you guys were serious

I can totally imagine him sat there thinking he was the single greatest writer ever.

He is

To be fair, if I came up with that joke I'd probably think I was the greatest writer ever (for at least five seconds)

I thought Immigrant was

What's 10's meme food (like fish fingers and custard for 11) is he has one? What's his fav food anyway?

Banans, presumably

thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=sFukyIIM1XI

I thought Nine was the one that liked bananas.

>I'm a cletus because I have a different opinion
this is in fact the very nature of the cletus meme. and it is all true

The whole point of that scene in Hell Bent was Moff trying to do what he always does - address the fanbase
He loves the franchise and the fans and wants to follow the mentality of "it's all true" or at the very least, nothing isn't true. You can believe what ever you want, there is no right or wrong. He's done that with UNIT dating as well.
He really is a massive fucking nerd and I love it.

So do I user (:

He liked bananas, like Nine did. He also really liked fries/chips. He was a foodie though, he really did like to eat.

Series 11

10 Episodes
60 minutes each
Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor
2 companions - brother and sister. Casting now. Announcement in September.

Writers room - Chibnall plus 4 new writers. Mix of solo written stories and joint, but all developed by the writers room.

Series long story arc/mystery. Each episode directly connected to each other (Like The Pilot into Smile into Thin Ice). Whilst each episode is a separate adventure from the next, there are elements in each which all tie together for the series finale. There will be two 'classic' 2 parters.

1, 2, 3, (4, 5), 6, 7, 8, (9, 10)
( ) Indicates a 2 parter

UNIT will heavily feature in Series 11 and a good portion will be Earthbound. Kate Stewart, no Osgood. Silurian and Sea Devil 2 parter in the middle of the series. No Master.

Christmas specials - BBC want them but Chibs not overly interested. Other members of the writers room will write them and they'll be self contained stories.

Plans for a Key to Time style story arc for Series 12. Jodie staying for S12.

thx thx thx

have a doxxed picture of cats as a token of my gratitude

>it's an user posts his ideas as fake spoilers instead of just their ideas thread

>Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor
You don't say

>2 companions - brother and sister
I think this is somewhat likely, the gender balance would seems like an intuitive way to go, and it would be a new sort of relationship for NewWho.

> Each episode directly connected to each other (Like The Pilot into Smile into Thin Ice). Whilst each episode is a separate adventure from the next, there are elements in each which all tie together for the series finale.
T b h I half suspect it won't even be that disconnected, and Chibnall will go more for bigger actors and effects and less different adventures+sets and locations, but you're probably right. Will definitely piss off the audio/comics/novel/etc people if there are no easy gaps to insert stories into though.

>Christmas specials - BBC want them but Chibs not overly interested.
ree if chibnall breaks that tradition i'll be pissed. Not sure how true your "BBC wants them" thing is, as from Moff's account they were happy to give the spot to another show if Doctor Who stopped doing them.

>Other members of the writers room will write them and they'll be self contained stories.
That'd be nice.

>Jodie staying for S12
It's funny to think we'll most likely be on the 14th Doctor when the 60th swings around

Fuck off already you dull cunt
No-one cared about any of these things the last time they were shitposted

In addition

Filming will begin in early November before breaking around December 15th. Filming will resume around January 8th and last until mid June.

Episodes will air on Sundays for 10 weeks, likely beginning July 1st. No plans for an SDCC appearance yet

>Sundays
well now I know you're making it up

user's been posting about their brother/sister companion idea for literally years at this point, which is kind of cute

Okay user... you believe that....

Maybe they just really liked Terror Firma

>Plans for a Key to Time style story arc for Series 12.
This is where these fake leaks always go wrong, and give away that they're written by Doctor Who fans who can't look beyond Doctor Who.
Why is it always Key to Time? God knows it's not because Key To Time is a relevant model for serialised storytelling in 2017 that a TV producer would actually cite as reference. It's because Key To Time's the only example of a "season arc" in Classic Who that isn't outright scorned like Trial of a Time Lord.

Yep. When the S11 fake spoilers reference Classic Who more than Broadchurch, you know there's something up.

Also in addition to that

The Doctor will grow a big floppy cock halfway through the series to appease people who don't want a female Doctor, and the female companion will slob on the cock in a special episode that airs after 9pm.

The Rani will return played by Chibnall himself.