So why exactly they didn't use eagles to reach Mordor?

So why exactly they didn't use eagles to reach Mordor?

because tolkien is a fucking hack

Tolkien considered the eagles as an explicit plot device and compared using them capriciously to subvert the arduous journey to using a helicopter to fly up Everest when the goal is to climb and conquer it, woop woop juggalo for life mmfwcl.

the same reason these threads get reposted every day

because gandalf was autistic?

>fly you fools

Because until "I AM NO MAN" Mordor had air superiority

Also the eagles would take the ring for themselves if they detected it

Because the flight plan they filed with the eagles only lists gandalf, frodo, samwise but only one of the fellowship.

>Because until "I AM NO MAN" Mordor had air superiority

completely debatable. the only time we saw eagles vs fell beasts, eagles kicked their asses. there is no reason to assume that the outcome would have been the EXACT OPPOSITE

>the eagles would take the ring for themselves if they detected it

why? how do you know that every eagle has a boromir character?

How in the FUCK did you miss the CENTRAL plot point of LOTR that all creatures (except Hobbits) are easily and quickly corrupted by the mere proximity of the Ring?

the ring corrupts everyone; even Gandalf refused to carry it for that reason.

gandalf wasn't, aragorn wasn't, legolas wasn't, gimli wasn't.

yeah but the eagles aren't supposed to wear the ring in this scenario

Gandalf didn't dare to touch the Ring.

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli decided to leave Frodo alone after the Boromir incident precisely because they understood the same would happen to them eventually.

Dunno if you missed it but the goblins had catapults.

Frodo and Bagins had to scout first before eagles come enter the scene.

Oh so now you have to touch it? I thought being close to it would corrupt you

The eagles are the manifestation of a sub diety. He did not want to get directly involved in the conflict with sauron, atleast not until it was basically over.

Boromir was one of the strongest men and Gandalf could resist the ring as long as it wasn't right there in front of him being willingly offered to him.

It would have destroyed Legolas, Gimli and even Aragorn by the end.

You fuckwad, Golum was a hobbit before the ring gave him greed cancer

>Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli decided to leave Frodo alone after the Boromir incident precisely because they understood the same would happen to them eventually

wrong. in the book, the choice is made as follows:

>"'Our choice then,' said Gimli, 'is either to take the remaining boat and follow Frodo, or else to follow the Orcs on foot. There is little hope either way. We have already lost precious hours.' 'Let me think!' said Aragorn. 'And now may I make a right choice, and change the evil fate of this unhappy day!' He sttod silent for a moment. 'I will follow the Orcs,' he said at last. 'I would have guided Frodo to Mordor and gone with him to the end (!!!); but if I seek him now in the wilderness, I must abandon the captives to torment and death."

eagles dont give a shit about the retarded humans.

but of course helping some random dwarves steal back some gold is top priority for them

They had disagreements about the aviation tax policy

So why didn't the eagles just lift Sauron and drop him into the ocean?

Mordor was a no fly zone.

Smeagol wasnt a hobbit. He was a Stoor.

Also the ring overtook frodo right at the end.

Little known fact: ilu iluvatar(god) intervened and caused gollum to trip into the volcano. One of three times god intervened.

Smeagol (aka Gollum) was actually a hobbit, watch the movys

>ilu iluvatar
>ilu

watch out boys we are graced by the presence of a tolkien scholar

He did touch the ring once, in the books, when they were in the Shire. The Ring realised that though, and kept its shit on lockdown because of the risk, plus Sauron's power was still waxing and hadn't grown to the point it had later in the books.

As to the Eagles, they're functionally demigods, of a sort, so they'd have the same or similar risks as Gandalf would have had. Further, Mordor has Fell Beasts of their own, so it would carry another risk of losing the ring if they tried. Additionally, their task is to watch for Dagor Dagarath, so they have better things to do than ferry a bunch of lesser people around. And on top of that, Eagles are assholes. They look down on everybody in general, have a not-my-problem attitude, and the only reason Gandalf can count on them from time to time is because one of them owes him several favours.

the Stoors are one of various original kinds of Hobbits you dumb fuck

>Smeagol (aka Gollum) was actually a hobbit, watch the movys

>watch the jewish fanfiction instead of reading the source material

that is true to the books though

Stoors are hobbits in the sense that black people are white people or asian people are aboriginee.

more like in the sense that americans are europeans

The first book literally says:

Before the crossing of the mountains the Hobbits had already become divided into three somewhat different breeds: Harfoots, Stoors, and Fallohides. The Harfoots were browner of skin, smaller, and shorter, and they were beardless and bootless; their hands and feet were neat and nimble; and they preferred highlands and hillsides. The Stoors were broader, heavier in build; their feet and hands were larger; and they preferred flat lands and riversides. The Fallohides were fairer of skin and also of hair, and they were taller and slimmer than the others; they were lovers of trees and of woodlands.

They are more akin to breeds of dog.

Because Sauron's eye has offensive abilities that would hinder the eagles,
and the eagles could only approach the inner parts of Mordor after Sauron's eye was fucked.

>:thinking:

Are you seriously suggesting the eagles would be corrupted? Are you fucking serious? This is probably the dumbest post here, but I think you're being serious. Kys your ys.

This seems like a decent explanation, but I don't see why they couldn't partially get there with the eagles.

you're a big hobbit

Don't forget they had to empty Mordor of most of its forces and divert their attention towards the human army at the gates in order to allow the manlets to pass through the fields towards the main peak. The diversion also helped the manlets go under cover in goblin armor which is less suspect in a moment of martial law while most attention is gathered at the humies.

Because mordor has an airforce

Just being near the ring is dangerous.
There's a reason Frodo ditched everyone but his cumbucket.

The point of it was to get there undetected so Sauron leaves the Mt Doom unguarded.
Soaring with giant eagles through the skies is anything but stealthy.

How hard is that to grasp?

Why didn't Sauron used his dragons to reach the shrine in the first day?

The eagles killed Melkors dragons, gayboy

Cuz they woulda been shot down.

I believe the eagles were busy recording Hotel California at that time.

Okay. I still don't know why they couldn't use the eagles.

I meant, use the eagles to get their partially.

Would have been shot down.
Explain to me how they wouldn't have been shot down.

Why didnt the Irish dight in WW2?

I got a better question:
The book implies that the ring intentionally slipped from Gollum because it saw an opportunity to get back to his master. But why would it want to get back now? Sauron was going to win the war even without the ring, just wait a couple more years and win the war all by yourself and search for the ring once you rule all of middle earth.
Slipping from Gollum was the only way Sauron and therefore the ring was ever going to lose the war.

Because partially would still get them stuck at the borders waiting for something or someone to divert the attention of all the forces in Mordor, including Sauron's almost-all-seeing-eye, in order to have any chance of infiltration. We'd just have 2 movies of them camping in the same place with no character growth and shit.

I guess this is all the explanation i can think up to justify the eagle shit.

Okay. It still seems like the fellowship had to suffer a lot, (snowy mountains, bodied of water, getting separated, running into orcs), that could have been avoided if they had eagles to at least to get the boarders of Mordor.

How fucking old are these eagles?

Snowy mountains were experienced by the whole group because of two reasons:
Gandalf had some tiniest of hope for there being some remnant survivors of the dwarves related to Gimli who could help the whole cause.
Sauron's eye was blinded by the mountains as well as the other route Gandalf proposed before entering them, and the whole purpose of that adventure was to confuse Sauron's spies and forces about who held the ring.
I think Gandalf planned the separation ahead of its time for these purposes, one to serve to confuse, second to put Aragorn on his own path to rally the human forces in order to distract Sauron. The rest he left to fate.

One of them died recently.

they kept breaking up in their heyday

Why didn't they take this path to Mordor? Makes way more sense desu

>not sneaking around

Share the load

I don't read the books, just tell me how old they are

Your joke will go underappreciated old fart.

The same reason why Gandalf didnt personally take the one ring to Mt. Doom.

Delet your post

We qlmost had a 4 sequence of dubs

The stoors are a hobbit branch that dwells next to rivers, you moron.

>Gandalf had some tiniest of hope for there being some remnant survivors of the dwarves related to Gimli who could help the whole cause.
>Sauron's eye was blinded by the mountains as well as the other route
Oh. That makes sense then. It still seems awfully contrived.

Wouldnt the nazghouls on their fucking dragons have fucked frodo up ten minutes into the flight? They were already patrolling the air all around middle earth lookin for him by the time they got anywhere close. Also the eye would have spotted his shit right away if he was up in the air. Ultimately i guess the answer would be itd take too many eagles to pull it off successfully

Eagles ate creatures of manwe, they are not maiar.
And Gandalf never ever touched the ring.

sauron would shot them down with his eye laser

Both do it, but the intensity varies. Being near it makes you want to touch it, touching it makes you want to use it.

>using a helicopter to fly up Everest
You do know you couldn't do that if you wanted too, right?

I see you're not familiar with the concept of the act that would un-virgin you.
This act can also produce an offspring, so, in your case, being ignorant might be best for everyone.

They absolutely are maiar, Manwe is a god, his attendants are Angelic.

We believe of others what we know about ourselves. Gandalf says that Sauron doesn't think anybody would try to destroy it because it's not something he would himself do. And he was kind of right, not even Frodo could toss it in at the end.
>Book lore on Sup Forums

Because Gandalf wanted to summon the eagles after Moria, but was killed
>Fly, you fools
Problem was, they didn't know how to summon the eagles. When Gandalf got reborn he did no longer know where the hobbits are so he couldn't summon the eagles to help.

There's nothing in the book to confirm this apart from your head canon.
Besides, your theory can, in fact, be shot down. The only info we have about their creation is that Manwë created them, just like Aulë created dwarves or other Valar created animals, trees and shit. Iluvatar is the only one who can create maiar and Valar

>I'm am sure to win due to my superior speed

Then it were different eagles. Stronger perhaps, these ones could only fight the nazguls.

Are you talking to Tolkien or me, his humble messenger?

you do realize that they flew into Mordor after Sauron was dead right? Maybe Sauron being alive and stopping them had something to do with them not flying into Mordor.

Because the giant laser eye would zap them down

Tolkien created maiar and valar and was a human being, so you're canonically wrong.

I got it. I got that reference.

why not divebomb with an eagle from the top into the lava for the greater good

How in the hell would a bunch of eagles manage to fly straight into the heart of the most powerful nation in Middle-Earth?

high up in the sky

>have to go in in noticed
>use the flying creatures that would be right in Front of saurons eye

I wonder

Ring was too heavy for eagles to carry
Only Frodo can carry it and only dam could carry frodo

Tolkien was a hack.
Gandolf shouldn't have come back.
Frodo and Fatso should have died.

except you can and it has been done

Arrows, fell beasts, crebains

Frodo was the only one that could carry it end of discussion.

Hell why do you think he fell off the horse. Horse couldn't carry him.