I don't know what I was expecting, but yeah, this was abysmally bad

I don't know what I was expecting, but yeah, this was abysmally bad.

Is it true that Michael Rappaport (olderguy on your poster) had an interacial scene with s&m undertones?

The background of the family's coping with Sam's autism really layered out the show though. I mean, it definitely did very into dumb clichés I wish the show hadn't bothered with, like "muh I'm a person too xc" daughter, and the "muh I'm more than a mom" mother, and I really felt like Netflix had linked me to an episode of Desperate housewives instead. But it's still what was the best thing in the show.

About the portrayal of autism, oh God. It really seemed liked the only care the authors had thrown at studying autism was trying to copy Sheldon from the TBBT. Autistic people as "people who are quirky and don't get questions, so they follow up with facts xD" is really tiring me out, and it probably annoys autistic people a lot too, especially the higher functioning ones. At best, those that are higher functioning can get confused at what you're driving at, and easily overwhelmed, but they're not as clueless as depicted on the show. My dad sits on the edge of the spectrum, and really it doesn't show up a lot except that he loves to pick up random interests, and sometimes has some difficulty getting into someone else's head, like when I'd be studying with him, and it'd be hard for him to realize why I couldn't do something. Mr Robot probably did it a lot better.

Anyways, the Paige character was retarded. Litterally a doormat of a character so Sam could get a blowie in the first season.

The problem is that Sam comes across as a self-diagnosed autistic using it as an excuse to be an asshole, it's inconceivable that even the most autismal of the autists would never catch basic social cues after years of therapy

the portrayal of the parents was okay, touching on some of the difficulties of parents with autistic kids, and the dad actually abandoning the family for months was heavy

his sister was the best and most fleshed out character, and it's usually a bad sign when your main character isn't the most compelling

>his sister was the best and most fleshed out character, and it's usually a bad sign when your main character isn't the most compelling
>mfw they have to limit her to cameo in the season two since her whole arc this season has been about ditching her home and leaving for Clayton
Showrunners sure shot themselves in the shot, eh.

>t's inconceivable that even the most autismal of the autists would never catch basic social cues after years of therapy
Yeah, that nails what doesn't sit with me about the portrayal of autism. Autistic people aren't clueless like that, and you're skirting the line of making them out to be retarded when your character says "that's not a real city" when told they're going to poon city.
They nudged a bit at wanting to address that autists are aware of what happens around them when they made Sam say "people think I don't know when I'm being made fun", but they have him be clueless a scene later. If anything, autists understand very well, and are often guilty of overanalyzing and reading too much into what you say, rather than being very literal. Why autistic people come across as weird is that they don't say or do much instinctively but rather based on their therapy, reasoning and experience. A 18-year old autist would have enough of those not be as clueless as Sam.

For every hit Netflix has they have 5 misses

It's hard to remember Netflix's last hit in terms of quality

House of Cards has turned to shit, 13 Reasons Why is sort of shit but sort of good occasionally, Ozark is shit

Right now they don't care about the quality of the shows. They're pumping out what they can as fast as possible so that their collection of shows doesn't seem too empty when they've been dropped by every other network (Disney just dropped them) and they only have Netflix original shows up.

>autistic
>has a job
>women show interest in him
>friends help him get women
>gets invited to parties

i havent spoken to anyone in two weeks

>it's inconceivable that even the most autismal of the autists would never catch basic social cues after years of therapy
Do you even know what autism is? Have you been getting your general knowledge from fucking Sup Forums?

Normies are incapable of portraying these topics in anything but intensely condescending ways

I just said my dad sits on the edge of the spectrum. Maybe it would be a lot more different if I knew him when he was a kid, but as an adult, he deals with it very well.

You have to understand that with autism, there's a confirmation bias about it being seen as handicapping. Lots of people have it but go their entire lives without realizing they're stricken with it, and only the very difficult cases stick out that way. They usually get into IT or finance, and stick out just thinking they're a bit awkward.

>everyone at the dance has to wear headphones because of the autistic kid

doesn't this seem extremely condescending? I would be so fucking embarrassed if people had to do that because of me, the world can't and shouldn't change to suit every autistic need

Santa Clarita Diet from February was pretty fun. The Crown from last year November was really good.

>I just said my dad sits on the edge of the spectrum.
Which "edge", you dumb fuck? There's several degrees of autism and you're still making it seem as legit cases of non-functioning autism are simply being stubborn assholes.

>there's a confirmation bias about it being seen as handicapping
I'm sure those kids who bang their heads through walls are just playing pretend.

>I would be so fucking embarrassed
are you autistic as well?

the show is garbage.

Not that user, but that does sound like an embarissing situation. I'd hate to be coddled like that.

>legit cases of non-functioning autism
take away their disability payments and you'll quickly find out that they're pretty functional if they have to be

>has a job
He likely got it from some program for disabled kids.

>I'm sure those kids who bang their heads through walls are just playing pretend.
Why are you twisting my words? All I'm saying is that the kid banging his head on walls like you said is our go-to example for autism because its the one that "advertises" (I wish I had a better word but I'm not a native speaker) itself the best. While other types would go unnoticed by you, because they don't go around blurring it or just don't know. But yes it's established that Sam's autism is more severe than that, so maybe I'm in the wrong for saying it plays the usual stereotypes.

That said, they've been toying with the definitions a lot lately and they're a lot more inclusive to people who still do well socially, so maybe that's why my views on the matter are skewed.

Can you prove that, user? Or are you just making incoherent statements because you know you're wrong?

>is our go-to example for autism
Because that's what autism truly is?

>I'm not a native speaker
I can tell.

>While other types would go unnoticed by you
Unless it's your autistic dad announcing it to everyone because he fails to understand social cues?

I should stay out of this place during the weekends.

The suicide rate among autistics would beg to differ.

>can tell.
Oh please you fucking can't. Dare you to find a single thing that outs me about it, other than me using "advertise" in the wrong sense.

>Because that's what autism truly is?
Not everytime. You said it yourself best when we started this argument: "there's lots of types of autism", and I don't know why you're doubling down on that. Are we going to deny Dan Ackroyd and Mike Burry are autistic because they've had successful lives in which they didn't have those tics?