You know in the His Dark Materials / Golden Compass...

You know in the His Dark Materials / Golden Compass, everyone has a daemon that is a physical manifestation of their soul. They can shapeshift when you're a kid then stop on a single form when you're an adult.

Well this happens because that was the shape that was touched by the person's first lover, and therefore it would never want to take another shape ever again.

Does that mean virgin's daemons keep shapeshifting even into adulthood? Since virginity would be a visible thing, would they be stigmatised?

lol

>religious setting
>stigmatizing virgins
sure

I can't remember was this movie actually good?

books were great, flick sucked ass

It was ok

It had CGI polar bears fighting and Nicole Kidman being gorgeous

That's not the reason everybody's daemon stops changing. Just the two main characters.
Everyone has their own reason

So it's a choice?

According to the wiki
>During their adolescence a person's dæmon undergoes "settling", an event in which that person's dæmon permanently and involuntarily assumes the form of the animal which the person most resembles in character
So everyone has a different 'settling' event and the Daemon can't change after that.
Wasn't there some character in the books who could keep it changing into adulthood? Haven't read them since I was a kid

>Wasn't there some character in the books who could keep it changing into adulthood?
Not as far as I can remember. I think that the daemons stop changing once their human's personality is set, which is kind of around adulthood. Sure the personality can keep changing, but by adulthood pretty much everyone is fairly settled into the baseline of their personality. For the main characters this just happened as they fucked. Not coincidentally though, I think it's because their previously innocent crush evolved into a full-fledged romantic/sexual thing, which of course meant that they decided to fuck since they were all grown up now. Presumably if you didn't have your long term crush around you both didn't decide to fuck, it would just happen naturally at around the same time.

Hey what if we had a great cast and wasted them on a shitty adaptation of a fairly interesting story
Oh and let's cut off the ending because a dramatic cliffhanger is just too much for audiences to handle in this kids adventure film

Having a same-sex daemon would be more awkward, methinks.

Fury implications aside, the virgin becomes the demon after a certain point. This is the source of the so called wizard powers.

>books were great
"No!"

Wrong thread

What was the significance of that? I remember assuming they were gay but it was never specified. Trans?

no idiot the daemons stop morphing at puberty its a major plotpoint

Homosexuals have daemons of the same sex as themselves

Aren't they making a TV series about this?

What if there were pedos

Yeah it's been in production for ages, Was supposed to come out this year, but it probably won't be out until 2018 or 2019.

>Well this happens because that was the shape that was touched by the person's first lover, and therefore it would never want to take another shape ever again.

Huh, no? I don't remember the movie well enough to contradict you but I know that's not what happens in the books. Is Will even in the movie? Since he doesn't appear until the second book.